PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Southern phrase

ice1000
05-24-2002, 04:02 PM
I had heard that the Southern phrase, "I've got the vapors!" is just a clever way for those charming southern ladies to pass gas and then have a great excuse to leave the room and get some fresh air.

I can't find a corroboration of this. Can anyone help me out?

samclem
05-24-2002, 05:12 PM
I think the expression was usually understood to mean the definition that my Merriam Webster gives it. Unfortunately, you have to go through all the more modern meanings before you get to:

a depressed or hysterical nervous condition

AskNott
05-25-2002, 12:05 PM
It referred to feeling faint. Back in the days of tight, wasp-waisted corsets, women literally couldn't get enough air. Swooning under emotional stress was common in those days.

Squish
05-25-2002, 01:16 PM
That's actually a common misconception about corsets. A properly fitted, properly laced corset does not constrict breathing and is, in my experience, far more comfortable than most bras. Women swooned under emotional stress because they were expected to be delicate, frail creatures (at least the middle- and upper-class ones; the working class just got on with it).

As far as "the vapors" goes, I've heard two explanations: the flautulence one and that it was an excuse to leave the room to use the facilities, as Victorian women didn't announce, "'Scuse me, I've gotta pee." <g>

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
05-29-2002, 08:50 AM
OED lists "vapor" or "vapour" as meaning various acts of unusual behavior, none having to do with flatulence.

However, it's too much to type here, and it is silent on the exact etymology of "vapor" meaning "behavior" (or is it "'vapour' meaning 'behaviour.'"):D

Best Topics: gay in spanish keeping pizza warm buy mistletoe wet masturbation alcohol suppository yoko ono hot spelt spelled doll furniture ebay salt flavor motorcycle crash bars ggf meaning going steady meaning cbs font bilingual bonus pimento olive soviet titles freshnet champagne american dvds plastic swan decoys raw sugarcane stab heart asc credits old encyclopaedias vacuum glass unavailable phone number pennies on eyes gas stove smells is realtor capitalized dear sir transition sunglasses review edited to add tossed the salad 2001 a space odyssey boring is door to door soliciting illegal do male horses have nipples nancy king of the hill gastric sleeve message boards post office pink slip tom hanks pees in every movie why are marsupials only in australia angel of the morning chrissie hynde do k and n filters work right hand flush toilet why do clerics use maces does capitalization in email address matter antlers in the tree by who goosed the moose how to check carbon monoxide detector difference between recruitment and staffing what is apple pie with cheese called housewarming party invite wording funny 1999 honda accord tail light best premixed long island iced tea check tire pressure nissan sentra how much do ddd breast weigh what are the benefits of joining the freemasons a river runs through it first edition what is neatsfoot oil intel i5 amd equivalent water shut off valve keeps turning how do u pronounce gyro swiss army battery replacement ocular migraines and brain tumors how to pump water out of a pond litter box air filter