PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone verify this analogy....?

Aro
09-09-2002, 04:26 AM
I have been reading a book, in which the following quote appeared:
"There are more molecules in a glass of water thean there are glasses of water in the oceans..."

Is this correct, or merely bad poetic science?

If it is correct, how small a {measure} of water would 'equal' (approximately) the number of {that measure} in the oceans?

A thimble-full? A tea-spoon? A single raindrop? Less?

Thanks...

Peanuthead
09-09-2002, 05:52 AM
Sounds kind of like "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin", and won't last too long in this forum. But if you really want to know................. There are exactly 887,563,947,568,547.3 glasses of water in the oceans.

Sublight
09-09-2002, 06:00 AM
Well, one mole (6 x 1023 molecules) of water would weigh 18 grams and take up 18ml of space. A glass holding 360ml (about the size of a 10oz. can) would therefore contain 20 moles, or 1.2 x 1025 molecules.

1.2 x 1025 of these glasses of water would have a volume of 4.3 x 1027ml, or 4.3 x 109km3, which would make a solid sphere of water with a diameter of about 1000km.

The Earth has a radius of 10,000km, and a surface area of about 1 billion km2, 70% of which is covered by water. If we assume an average depth of 2km, that gives a volume of 1.4 x 109km3.

So, the number of molecules in a glass of water is greater than the number of glasses of water in the ocean, but only by a factor of about three. Considering how many assumptions and approximations I've made, they can be called essentially equal.

Now all you need is someone who can show what mistakes I've inevitably made and give you the real answer.

Sublight
09-09-2002, 06:04 AM
Btw, my figure of 2km for the average depth of the ocean was rectally-derived, so if anyone knows the real figure, use that instead.

Aro
09-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Thanks Sublight,

Even within the obvious necessity for guesswork and approximations, it seem the quote DOES have some credence to real figures. (Well, close enough for me)
I just liked how it sounded as an analogy, and just wanted to check it out before repeating it, and thus perpetuating any further ignorance. :)

BTW, Peanuthead, as this was a question with a (approximately) verifable & thus factual answer, it was CORRECTLY placed in this forum. Angels on pins indeed. :rolleyes:

jjimm
09-09-2002, 06:18 AM
Sublight, this site (http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthwherewater.html) gives the volume of the oceans at 317,000,000 miles3.

Since 1 mile3 = 4.1682 km3, the approximate volume of the oceans is ~ 1.3 x 109.

That's one extraordinary ass-sourced estimate you achieved!

Kreekurmudgeon
09-09-2002, 09:08 AM
Hereafter, when Sublight speaks, I listen.

Go alien
09-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Hearafter, when Sublight farts, I listen. :D

jjimm
09-09-2002, 09:41 AM
Hereafter, when Sub lights his farts, I listen. :D

zut
09-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sublight
1.2 x 1025 of these glasses of water would have a volume of 4.3 x 1027ml, or 4.3 x 109km3, which would make a solid sphere of water with a diameter of about 1000km.Sublight, I think you made an error here. You use the conversion 1 km3 = 1018ml. Since 1 ml = 1 cc, this ought to be 1 km3 = 1015ml. So, using jjimm's source and your previous calculation:

1 glass water = 360ml = 1.2 x 1025 molecules.
Ocean = 1.3 x 109 km3 = 1.3 x 1024 ml = 3.6 x 1021 glasses of water.

Still more molecules in a glass of water than glasses of water in the ocean.

1 tsp water = 5ml = 6 x 1023*0.28 molecules = 1.7 x 1023 molecules.
Ocean = 1.3 x 1024 ml = 2.6 x 1023 tsp.

So, for Aro's last question: there are about as many molecules in a teaspoon as there are teaspoons in the ocean (teaspoon-and-a-quarter, actually). If I did the math right.

Aro
09-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Cheers Zut. A teaspoon full it is, then.

Makes my head all funny to think in terms of there being so many microscopic millions/billions of 'wee things' like that, just in a spoonful. :D

Sublight
09-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Yep, I just woke up ten minutes ago and immediately realized my mistake. 1ml = 1cm3, not 1mm3. That throws my answer off by a factor of 1000.

So, actually, they're not equal. There's about 1000x more molecules in a glass than glasses in the ocean.

jjimm, be careful when I light my farts, with my miscalculations I might end up flattening the whole building. "Hmmm... take the diameter, raise to the fourth power, times the coefficient... yeah, you're safe." FOOOMM!!!! "Oh, wait, third power! Sorry about that." :D (we need a 'smokey' smiley!)

Still, may I use that as a sig?

Best Topics: wantagh road test satilite descrambler buy no2 jury duty disqualifications units gm military circumcision replace mailbox key ucpi.sco.ca.gov legit 550 pounds moving a dishwasher linus's blanket is beer carbonated and call me strongest removable adhesive immanuel kant pronunciation ibuprofen lotion ww2 helmet netting victoria wieck biography skopje pronunciation vegetable oil flammable sitar heroes pentecostal girls long car antenna iron vs bronze elk fraternity oilskin duster coat grove sync android trusted credentials innovative power chips is megashare legal sound aesthetics just lunch seattle shit shat bluto cartoon eating eggshell tin man lyrics meaning signs of a tweaker ikea stora loft bed for adults why use a double boiler 1800 got junk mattress price what do gizzards taste like how to deactivate store sensors nicad vs lithium ion batteries power tools how to take off anti theft device on clothes examples of feudalism today mortgage payment due date falls on weekend can you use a satellite dish as an antenna science diet cat food cd how to train a rat not to poop on you what to get daughter for first communion she was hotter than a two-dollar pistol but other than that, how did you enjoy the play? fedex out for delivery the good of the many does vacuuming spiders kill them mucus plug in nasal cavity how many cc in a gram goody two shoes origin protect my id scam virgin mobile plan effects of drinking spoiled milk how to make corian shine again jobs on the great lakes shipping turbotax federal free edition vs freedom edition why are pills white read aloud books for adults