PDA

View Full Version : 26+6=1??? Irish dopers please.

Phlosphr
11-21-2002, 05:18 PM
I have seen this bumber sticker: 26 + 6 = 1 then a picture of Ireland after it. I've seen it quite often.

What the heck does that mean?

Lost In Reality
11-21-2002, 05:24 PM
I'm not Irish, but if believe there are 26 counties that are part of Ireland proper, and there are 6 counties under British rule. I'm guessing that they are saying it is 1 country when the 6 added to the other 26.

tomndebb
11-21-2002, 05:26 PM
Good guess, Lost, that is exactly the point.

silverfish
11-21-2002, 05:26 PM
My guess is that it would be a symbol for those who want a united Ireland. I'm guessing that 26 is the 26 counties of Eire (The republic of Ireland), and 6 is the 6 counties of northern Ireland, whilst the one is the one Ireland. I don't know if there are that many counties on each side of the border, but I think my explanation is at least plausible.

everton
11-21-2002, 05:57 PM
All these answers are correct - 26 counties in Republic of Ireland + 6 in Northern Ireland = 1 Ireland.

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar grafitti about Basque unity along the lines of 4 + 3 = 1 (four Basque provinces in Spain + three in France = 1 Basque country).

ruadh
11-22-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by silverfish
My guess is that it would be a symbol for those who want a united Ireland. I'm guessing that 26 is the 26 counties of Eire (The republic of Ireland), and 6 is the 6 counties of northern Ireland, whilst the one is the one Ireland. I don't know if there are that many counties on each side of the border, but I think my explanation is at least plausible.

Correct, except that once again (pet peeve time) Éire is the Irish word for "Ireland" (the entire country/ island) and not just for "The Republic of Ireland".

Joe_Cool
11-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Maybe it means that in Ireland, they prefer all numeric calculations to be expressed (mod 31).

26+4=30 (mod 31)
26+5=0 (mod 31)
26+6=1 (mod 31)

:D

Jonathan Chance
11-22-2002, 09:49 AM
32 counties? Christ, I think Virginia might have that many.

Small place.

Fretful Porpentine
11-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Virginia has quite a few more (http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/U_S__States/Virginia/Counties_and_Regions).

manwithaplan
11-22-2002, 11:24 AM
More than anything, it means the driver is a dipstick.

Troy McClure SF
11-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by manwithaplan
More than anything, it means the driver is a dipstick.

Care to explain in another thread?

manhattan
11-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Definitely another thread. manwithaplan, you will keep that crap out of General Questions.

This is not a request.

Pushkin
11-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Another way of referring to the wish of Irish republicans to join the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland together as one country. The six counties of the north is one way they refer to NI as well as the occupied territories.

Originally posted by Jonathan Chance
32 counties? Christ, I think Virginia might have that many.
Small place.

Northern Ireland, the "six" referred to in the OP and my place of birth, is ridiculously overqualified as a country. The amount of local goverment and tax money spent on the place is ludicrious. But then I think the only part of the UK earning its keep is southern England.

williambaskerville
11-23-2002, 06:30 AM
As a very pedantic quibble, 26+6 is technically inaccurate anyway. One of the 26 counties, Dublin, got so big it was split into 3, so the Republic currently has 28 counties.

It's still a small place by American standards.

Phlosphr
11-23-2002, 07:45 AM
Ah, to be sure! Thank you very much, you all have answered my question. I always knew there was a large population of first generation Irishmen or women as it were, in this part of Connecticut. There are at least 2 to 3 dozen different cars whith this bumper sticker around my town. Thanks everyone.

jjimm
11-23-2002, 07:56 AM
Ireland is tiny compared to the US. However, I think the counties are generally bigger in area than the mean US county size.

Another one along the same lines is 32 or War (I reserve comment based on Manhattan's admonition of manwithaplan).

jjimm
11-23-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by williambaskerville
As a very pedantic quibble, 26+6 is technically inaccurate anyway. One of the 26 counties, Dublin, got so big it was split into 3, so the Republic currently has 28 counties.I think you'll find that Co. Dublin is still officially one county. It's split into three administrative Boroughs (http://193.120.124.98/ZZA27Y1930.html). That doesn't make them counties.

ruadh
11-23-2002, 09:09 AM
Actually it's split into four administrative areas - Fingal, South Dublin, Dun-Laoghaire Rathdown and Dublin City (formerly Dublin Corporation). And even those divisions aren't absolute - neither the Land Registry nor the GAA, to give two examples, makes any use of them.

williambaskerville
11-23-2002, 01:01 PM
I think you'll find that Dun Laoghaire, Fingal and South Dublin are in fact officially counties.

The relevant act is the Local Government (Dublin) Act 1993, which iis available online here.
http://bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ie/legis/num_act/lga1993238/longtitle.html&query=Fingal%20Dun%20Laoghaire

The long title of the act referenced here says the purpose of the Act "is to provice for the divison of the Administrative County of Dublin into 3 Administrative Counties" [known as Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, Fingal and South Dublin]. If Dublin was a county, which it obviously was, then so are the 3 new ones, since they're given identical descriptions to Dublin in the legislation.

Also the fact that the official web sites of the 3 areas all headline themselves as COUNTY councils is pretty convincing anyway.

http://fingalcoco.ie/
http://dlrcoco.ie/
http://sdcc.ie

Not to mention that the coco or cc in the domain names stands for County Council.
It's unlikely all three are fundamentally mistaken about the nature of their existence

ruadh
11-23-2002, 01:51 PM
"Officially" or not, there is nobody in this country who actually considers the three to be counties in the sense that the word "county" is used here. Ask 100 people from Swords what county they're from, and all 100 will say Dublin, not Fingal.

By the same token the six counties have no official status as such within the political entity known as "Northern Ireland", but nobody would say there are 0 counties there.

williambaskerville
11-24-2002, 05:59 AM
Saying there's "nobody" who considers them counties is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think ?

The list of people who presumably do consider them counties includes the designers of their web sites, the majority of the Dail that passed the Bill establishing them as counties, at least some of those elected as county councillors for the three areas, and the planning authorities, which treats them exactly the same as all the other counties. And I live in Ireland, and I consider them counties..and I just asked my sister, who lives in Dun Laoghaire, what county she lives in,and she said, unprompted, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown.

In any event, even if the "nobody" claim was true, it would just be another case where a universal popular perception was wrong ..the Dail has decided they're counties, absent constitutional challenge they are therefore counties.

Anyway it's all a long way from the original post, and verging into great debate territory anyway.

ruadh
11-24-2002, 08:32 AM
So, how do you fancy Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown's chances in the All-Ireland next year?

jjimm
11-24-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ruadh
So, how do you fancy Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown's chances in the All-Ireland next year? I doubt they'll beat Fingal. :D

Kerriensis
11-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Tipperary is also split into two 'Ridings' each with a 'County Council', though it's still normally regarded as one county.

casdave
11-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Technical gripe here, "riding" cannot be used to describe a district divided into anything other than three.

North Yorkshire is the biggest county in England, formed in part by the old North Riding of Yorkshire. The term ‘riding’ is of Viking origin and derives from Threthingr meaning a third part. There were indeed three ridings in Yorkshire - the East Riding, West Riding and North Riding. The ancient Kingdom of Lindsey, known today as Lincolnshire was also an area of considerable Viking settlement and was likewise divided into three ridings.

from here

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/north_east_england_history_page/About_Yorkshire.htm

TwistofFate
11-24-2002, 05:48 PM
Mr. Baskerville, I am from Dublin. There are 26 counties in the Republic of Ireland. Dublin is 1 county. not three. 1. count 'em. 1.

As said, there are 4 administrative areas in Dublin, but one county.

Irish by birth, Dublin by the grace of Fate :)

TwistofFate
11-24-2002, 06:14 PM
here is a press statement from the Department of Agriculture that refers to 26 counties.
http://gov.ie/daff/Pressrel/2002/196-2002.htm

Every link on this page
http://enterprise-ireland.com/news-links.asp?categoryid=10
refers to 26 county Ireland.

Want to go tell the government they are wrong? I could dig up government statements saying 26 counties all day if I wanted to.

the Republic has 26 counties.

mogiaw
11-24-2002, 07:33 PM
Back when they divided Dublin into three there was a sign on the M1 saying "Welcome to Co. Fingal" but it was changed to just
"Welcome to Fingal" shortly thereafter.
Another stupid pedantic point Northern Ireland is no longer officially divided into six counties. It now comprises 20+ districts but i think Ruadh was referring to that.
anyway..

Mogiaw ;)

manwithaplan
11-25-2002, 05:19 AM
Apologies for my earlier post - it wasn't appropriate for GQ. FWIW, it wasn't meant to put forward a view on the national question - my posting history makes that quite clear. It was more a point to express my uneasiness at hearing that something like that appears on bumper stickers. Nonetheless, even that wasn't appropriate to the forum and it was very open to interpretation so it's a lesson learned.

I have a close association with the legislation which split the former Dublin County Council in three. williambaskerville is correct in stating that the new authorities have precisely the same administrative status as all other county authorities. However, the significance of the county has long outgrown its administrative roots. Like Ruadh, I am very skeptical about whether anyone identifies with the new counties on anything more than a functional level. The then Minister for the Environment was at pains to stress that the creation of the new authorities would not affect sporting organisations etc. - as far as I can recall, he stated that in his second stage speeches in both Dail and Seanad. It's clear that Irish peoples' identification with the county is not determined by who collects their bins, rather it's down to the adoption of those administrative districts by sporting and cultural organisations. DL/R, Fingal et al have quite a way to go on that count.

Also, as Kerrienensis points out, Tipp has two county councils and no-one refers to them as separate counties. Also, nobody would suggest that residents of former county boroughs, now cities (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford), are not from the relevant 'county'.

Aro
11-25-2002, 06:02 AM
This is a poor site (with several mistakes on it including Ruadhs favoutite - using Eire for the Republic) but it has a picture of the NI district councils and the original counties too. So I thought I'd link it anyway. Here it is. (http://oultwood.com/localgov/northernireland.htm)

Best Topics: fire station siren roaches with pinchers fingertip hurts turn beard white peeing in bleach petite women sex latin penises sheera thundercats zeni eye associates in chemistry froggy feeling dicking the dog otc athletes foot nti mouthguard amazon sink wrench lowes pet myna bird wags slang mailchimp freddie toy fdr walking david r stewart jeffrey donovan gay swinging sticks spiked trees kindle security warning bone in hair paper suitcases tiny wasp nest special forces haircut sarasin crusades frank mash keflex and acne bank of america set up automatic credit card payments dream of dead father alive prison sex lyrics meaning state farm ro 27 watch tv shows before they air helicopter flying over house should i use insurance for windshield replacement chewing up the scenery paris hilton is a whore vein in foot sticking out what's the opposite of a sausage fest does google know my birthday alternator cause battery drain elder scrolls daggerfall nudity when did dick start to mean penis why does my nose tingle what are the earpieces singers wear on stage for books about old hollywood if ifs and buts were candy and nuts simpsons numbness on the bottom of my feet where do i put my ez pass child seat for 3 wheel bike 80s song ah ah ah how to charge 12v battery with power supply why are pants called a pair how to input square root into wolfram alpha is johnnie walker good baldwin acrosonic piano weight abandoned cars on highway tire balancing beads review money talk bullshit walks how big is a track field liberals in the military equilateral triangle on graph paper what is the best mario party for gamecube