PDA

View Full Version : Acronym "TBD" (as DC motor speed range entry)

bibliophage
02-01-2003, 05:18 PM
I got an e-mail from someone who wants to know this. (Apparently he thinks I know everything). He's looking at a DC motor catalog and came across the entry speed range - TBD + or - 25% The only thing I can figure is that it stands for "to be determined," but that doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to me when together with "+/- 25%" Using Acronymfinder.com and other searches I come up with these possibilites, none of which makes any more sense to me.
To Be Decided
To Be Defined
To Be Determined
Douglas Devastator Torpedo Bomber (WW II)
Terminal Bomber Defense
Time/Bearing Display
To Be Detailed
To Be Developed
To Be Discussed
To Be Done
Torpedo - Boat - Destroyer
Track Before Detect
Triangular Barrier Diode
Time to breakdown My correspondent seems to think it's a unit of speed, but he's not a native speaker of English and I'm not a native speaker of DC motors.

danceswithcats
02-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Wow. I thought this would be an easy one, and flipped to Motor Terminology in my WWGrainger catalog. NADA. If you can figure it out, let me know, as I'm curious now.

engineer_comp_geek
02-01-2003, 05:43 PM
TBD = to be determined

It's very commonly put in specs during development, and is supposed to be replaced with the actual number once the product is available. Looks like they missed that number when they released the spec to the public.

David Simmons
02-01-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm with engineer_comp_geek. I suspect that the catalog was a "cut and paste" job by a technical or catalogue writer (think of Elaine Benes on Seinfeld [joke, you tech writers]) and the fact that no actual number was there was missed upon proofreading.

bibliophage
02-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks folks. I have so informed my correspondent.

Popup
02-03-2003, 04:29 AM
I agree with ecg and David. However, it would be rather pointless and impolite just to submit an 'me too' post, so I have to back it up with some additional information.

In the spec writing phase it is (as mentioned earlier) common to write TBD, for any number not defined. If there is a number suggested, but not necessarily agreed upon, it is also common to write that number, followed by TBC, short for To Be Confirmed. Normally these notes should never be in the final document though.

octothorpe
02-04-2003, 01:26 AM
A few possibilities come to mind:

First: Although i would assume that the catalog mentioned was printed in English, i can't discount the possibility that the catalog was printed in another language. Your reference to your correspondent being a non-native English speaker does cause me to wonder whether the TBD is an English acronym. Additionally, is it possible that the catalog in question is British as opposed to American. It's possible that the British use the acronym TBD for something other than the standard American meanings.

Second: It is possible that your correspondent is looking for a 'specialty' motor; perhaps a motor designed to run slower on start-up (such as a 'soft-start' motor) and then progress to a 'nominal' speed. The manufacturer may then offer motors with a 25% +/- range once the nominal speed has been defined.

Finally: I could be ignoring occam's razor and providing possibilities that have not the slightest relation to reality. In the absence of additional information, i'd have to go along with engineer_comp_geek & David Simmons; two posters who have consistently provided technically correct information.

#

Best Topics: semen odor gfci in series have at you number in parentheses revoke degree 17 ft uhaul icu nurse gifts section 8 discharge b2 cost mister in russian recycle stove day old pizza e coli smell are lobsters insects brake pedal fade pimiento jar polyethylene paint 720 projector neato synonym tv buzzing noise quark pronunciation are flags copyrighted pulsating eye bleach vs clorox the flying wedge phone time number backlit projector screen shawshank obtuse west wing psychiatrist collapsible circuit japanese hot sauces sand trout dune king moonracer toy jury duty how often what does grad mean in russian hello my friend in russian nicotine patches for non smokers what do baby toads eat how to italicize text in illustrator when did women start driving undetectable poison causes heart attack on fedex vehicle for delivery why did my fedex package go backwards don t play b17 best headbands for thin hair water under my house dryer starts then stops after few seconds cookie clicker how to bake your dragon songs with the word angels in the title why do soap operas look different how to say good eating in italian drive from north america to south america von dutch eyeball with wings song from volvo wedding commercial who pays for holmes on homes projects how to unclog a toilet with drano teddy bears picnic creepy what's my vision on the 20 20 scale fruit loops nintendo commercial pdc phone book delivery this bottle of stevens awakens ancient feelings is usa today a liberal or conservative newspaper she's dead, jim nose stopped up on one side at night black women green eyes hbo late night adult do you have to put your hand on the bible in court 15 pin to usb converter how to post a message on facebook