PDA

View Full Version : Am I insane if I go to Great Clips for a haircut?

Indygrrl
02-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Ok, I really need a haircut, but I have no time or money to go swanky like usual. My hair is straight and it's a pretty basic cut. Still, I'm hella nervous about getting a $4.99 haircut. I mean, if you're good at doing hair, why would you work for so little when you could charge $50 for a haircut? I think I'm going after work, but I'm feeling scared about it.

montana cricket
02-04-2003, 03:52 PM
I've had my hair trimmed at GC before. Both my kids as well. It's not somewhere I'd go to have a really complex cut done and I wouldn't expect miracles, but they did a good job on mine and my girls' hair.

The one bummer is that they are only walk-in--which means when they're running the sale cut, it's an hour wait--Ick...I have zero patience! :D

I do prefer somewhere more classy though!

scout1222
02-04-2003, 03:53 PM
I go to Great Clips all the time.

And by "all the time" I mean the one time a year when I need a haircut desperately and my boyfriend isn't around to do it for me.

I've got real curly long hair. So even if the cutter can't cut a straight line, when the curls spring up you can't tell. So it's not worth spending lots of money on a "real" salon.

Now, having said that, when I've gone, the gals who've cut my hair seem reasonably competent. If it's just a basic trim, I'd say take your chances. If you've got layers and more complicated stuff, you might be better served going elsewhere.

I'd say throw caution to the wind, though.

XJETGIRLX
02-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Hm. Am I missing something here?

FTR, I cut my husband's hair and I've cut my own more than a time or two, so I think I have a frame of reference. I've always gone to a cheap walk-in place, but I have been to a couple swanky salons. I've noticed not a whit of difference in the actual cut.

The only place I saw the difference was in the time it took to get the cut done, the amount I was fussed over, and the amount of products I was barraged with upon leaving.

I'd say go for it. I don't see why anyone would charge $50 for a service that can easily be done well for under $10.

If you're talking something more complex like coloring or perming, though, then I would expect a salon to be your best bet.

Munch
02-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Whoa! What Great Clips in Indy is charging $4.99?!? Sign me up!

Oh, and I see a lot of younger girls at GC, and they seem pretty happy coming out. Not that I'm suggesting you're in grade school or anything, but I figure if anyone's going to be picky about their hair, it's going to be an adolescent girl.

I am sooo going to get slapped for this, aren't I?

FisherQueen
02-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Great Clips is my regular hair place. In fact, I'm as attached to my Great Clips stylist as people are to their $50-haircut stylists.

Sure, go for it. What's the worst that can happen? If they butcher it, you go and get it repaired for the price you'd normally pay, and you're only out a few bucks. If you like it, you remember the stylist's name and never pay for an expensive haircut again.

I wouldn't even consider spending more than $15 for a haircut.

Ferret Herder
02-04-2003, 05:12 PM
I go to a similar type of chain (called BoRics) for my haircuts, and they cost under $10 for a cut. Then again, I get a simple cut done, no styling, just a straight-cut bob. If I wanted anything more tricky, like a dye or something, I might go elsewhere, but I certainly would never pay $50 for a simple haircut.

The last time I went to a place that charged that much, I was a bridesmaid and went with the bride and the maid of honor to a salon to get our hair put up and styled for the wedding. They spent at least a half hour on each of us, and our hairstyles lasted all day, so I'd definitely say that was worth it.

Kalhoun
02-04-2003, 05:13 PM
I notice a HUGE difference between a cheap haircut and a swanky salon. I did Great Clips about 6 months ago and I HATED IT! It's also best to get your hair colored or highlighted professionally. Really.

peepthis
02-04-2003, 05:33 PM
The worst haircut I ever got was at a Great Clips. Lesson learned: if it takes someone 45 minutes to do a simple haircut, they have no idea what they're doing. I imagine it's where stylists have to settle for working if they can't get work elsewhere (ie, either just out of beautician school, or just plain bad at their job). Thankfully there was another person there to salvage the hack job the first woman did; and this was for just a regular short-hair guy cut. No thank you, I'll spend the extra money to not look like crap.

twickster
02-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Actually, I do spend $50 for a haircut -- I've been going to this guy for 15 years plus (it used to be a barain at $35). My hair looks great clean, dirty, right after the haircut, and 3 or 4 months later when it's time to go in again. (I'm currently growing it out again, so it's 4). I am ridiculously frugal about everything else in my life (I don't have cable TV, fercryin'outloud), but the haircuts are worth it.

On the other hand, I think I'm the one who's nuts here.

sixseven
02-04-2003, 08:14 PM
No, you are absolutely not insane if you go to Great Clips for a haircut. Take it from me, someone who knows a great deal about hair care, that is not a bad decision. But I wouldn't get your hopes up and expect more from it than what you'll get. If you have easy hair to work with, if it was well-cut the last time to begin with, if you have a hair cutter who understands the language you speak, these will all increase your success. Communication with these haircutters is crucial in discount salons such as these. Their idea of layers may be different from your idea of layers, for instance, and if there is a communication gap, you could be in for a surprise. Just describe simply what you want and realize that it will be satisfactory but not luxurious.

voguevixen
02-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by FisherQueen
Great Clips is my regular hair place. In fact, I'm as attached to my Great Clips stylist as people are to their $50-haircut stylists.

I wouldn't even consider spending more than $15 for a haircut.

Ditto, I had to quit going to SuperCuts because they got "too expensive" for me. (I think they're up to $12 or $13 now.)

It's only hair, for cryin' out loud! It's not like you're going to a discount neurosurgeon or something.

kanicbird
02-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Ditto, I had to quit going to SuperCuts because they got "too expensive" for me. (I think they're up to $12 or $13 now.)

yes supercuts have jacked up their price over the years to the point that their not all that super anymore. I still go to them because the only cheaper place that I know of in the lemon tree (at about $9) but had one bad cut from them.

DeVena
02-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Well I pay $40 for my hair in a swanky salon. It's my only vice, and it is SO worth it.

They massage my scalp with mint oil before the shampoo. I swear I'd move in if they'd let me.

Quonk
02-04-2003, 09:57 PM
I go to SuperCuts. I've found that the haircut I get can range from pretty bad to better than an expensive one. It's just a gamble, especially since the one near me has an extremely high turnover (I don't think I've ever had the same person more than twice).

Guinastasia
02-04-2003, 10:06 PM
I go to a privately owned salon and I pay 9 bucks a hair cut, plus a two dollar tip. (is that right? One or two dollars?)

My stylist, Donna, is great-and we're rather friendly with her and share books. (She lends me Stephen King books sometimes).

I've been going to that place since I was a kid, and I don't regret it.

bristlesage
02-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Yep, I love the Great Clips. I did have a fairly complex hairdo done last time, and it looks great. You do have to be careful, of course, just like anywhere there are good and bad stylists. So if they do have a wait, stay and watch the stylists work. You may find that you'd like to let someone go ahead of you.

peepthis
02-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Guinastasia
I go to a privately owned salon and I pay 9 bucks a hair cut, plus a two dollar tip. (is that right? One or two dollars?)The Manners Mavens say that you should tip 15-20%, unless it's the owner of the business. In which case, they're getting all the money anyways so no tip. But do remember to tip the shampoo person, if there is one.

kanicbird
02-05-2003, 08:25 AM
The Manners Mavens say that you should tip 15-20%, unless it's the owner of the business.

Are you tipping for service or to give charity to an underpaid worker?

Indygrrl
02-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Ok, I chickened out and did not go to Great Clips. There was a nice salon next door and they cut it for $26 plus a $4 tip. It looks good and I am glad I didn't risk my hair to save a few bucks. I am paranoid about getting my hair cut since I've been growing it for about two years and it's the longest it's ever been. So, today I feel happy and better about my hair. Yay.

Guinastasia
02-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Well, there's no shampoo girl-my stylist washes my hair.

redangel822000
06-14-2014, 04:39 PM
I just happen to come across this website and see this question and I am so offended by how people can talk about others like they're so below you. I work at Great Clips and I enjoy my job and I also know what I'm doing so it's not because I couldn't do hair good anywhere else and I have done $50 cuts. I don't enjoy ripping ppl off. It takes me 20-30 mins on a cut because I pay ATTN to detail. So later you don't find a hair out of place and throw a tantrum. Ppl choose to work at GC because after paying $20k for school we end up paying to work and only get a small percentage of what you pay for your cut (that you instruct us on how to do) as well as your $2 tip. So great clips is a good place to work because you get hourly pay like most people. It's easy to criticize others when you know nothing about what your judging. I went to school to be accepted by society only to be stepped on all day by ppl who tear us down for trying our hardest. Have a heart ppl. We work 8-10 hrs without a break most of the time and ppl complain because they have to wait. Talk about slave life. I have degenerative disk disease in my back and stand all day to please you, WITHOUT medical, dental, vision, 401k plan, ssi, and still manage to take have patience for my clients needs on top of my outside life. A little credit wouldn't kill you.

Chefguy
06-14-2014, 04:58 PM
I just happen to come across this website and see this question and I am so offended by how people can talk about others like they're so below you. I work at Great Clips and I enjoy my job and I also know what I'm doing so it's not because I couldn't do hair good anywhere else and I have done $50 cuts. I don't enjoy ripping ppl off. It takes me 20-30 mins on a cut because I pay ATTN to detail. So later you don't find a hair out of place and throw a tantrum. Ppl choose to work at GC because after paying $20k for school we end up paying to work and only get a small percentage of what you pay for your cut (that you instruct us on how to do) as well as your $2 tip. So great clips is a good place to work because you get hourly pay like most people. It's easy to criticize others when you know nothing about what your judging. I went to school to be accepted by society only to be stepped on all day by ppl who tear us down for trying our hardest. Have a heart ppl. We work 8-10 hrs without a break most of the time and ppl complain because they have to wait. Talk about slave life. I have degenerative disk disease in my back and stand all day to please you, WITHOUT medical, dental, vision, 401k plan, ssi, and still manage to take have patience for my clients needs on top of my outside life. A little credit wouldn't kill you.

Hey, I'll give you some props. I've been going to a Supercuts for four years now and have had very good luck with them. I sympathize with folks who are on their feet all day, as my father was a bartender who would come home barely able to walk some days. I also tip at least $5 (cash) for a basic haircut, which probably comes out to about 30% or so. I was chatting with the person, who surprised me by telling me that they are unionized and are able to retire early because the state considers their job to be in some sort of 'arduous' category since they're on their feet so much. She said the average retirement age is around 50. :eek:

Anamorphic
06-14-2014, 05:02 PM
I promise to start going to Great Clips if you stop saying "ppl".

susan
06-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Of course, zombie hair poses its own challenges to the stylist.

magnusblitz
06-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Jeez, $4.99 for a haircut at Great Clips? The one near me is something like $14 for a regular cut, though they also regularly have coupons out that lower it to $10.

kambuckta
06-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Jeez, $4.99 for a haircut at Great Clips? The one near me is something like $14 for a regular cut, though they also regularly have coupons out that lower it to $10.

Inflation. The OP was posted in 2003.

;)

actualliberalnotoneofthose
06-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Great Clips regularly has something called a "Great Haircut Sale." It seems to happen 3-4 times per year. For about a week, they charge only $6.99 (up from $4.99, $5.99) in 2014 prices. They run radio commercials and they place signs at intersections and near the strip malls where they are located.

I'm a guy who gets his hair cut as short as possible to avoid getting it cut again for a long time. I could possibly make it through the year with only the Great Clips events and maybe 2 more regular priced trips. I always end up messing up the timing, though. Because it seems like just when I can't stand it and have to get it cut somewhere else, they will run an event the next week.

For some reason I've always tipped a minimum of $5. So if I get a $4.99 haircut, I'm paying 10 bucks any way. If it's a $25 hair cut, I probably only tip $5.

Green Bean
06-14-2014, 08:01 PM
LOL! Even back in 2003, Dopers were competing for the "I'm the cheapest" award! "My stylist uses a rusty knife and charges me 15 cents!" Gotta love a place that makes me feel like a fancy lady for paying $16 at Supercuts.

So great clips is a good place to work because you get hourly pay like most people.
We work 8-10 hrs without a break most of the time and ppl complain because they have to wait. Talk about slave life. I have degenerative disk disease in my back and stand all day to please you, WITHOUT medical, dental, vision, 401k plan, ssi...
You're not making any sense here. Is it a good place to work or not?

Also, what do you mean when you say you don't get "ssi?"

Larry Borgia
06-14-2014, 08:17 PM
I thought Indygrrl was back, but no. Now I am sad.

Inna Minnit
06-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I go to supercuts or great clips. It's hair. It's not rocket surgery.

LibrarySpy
06-15-2014, 12:33 PM
I went to GreatCuts once. Worst haircut of my life, and that includes my aunt practicing for beauty school. Never again.

jtur88
06-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Women love to cut hair. If you don't have a girl friend or something, ask a complete stranger to cut it for you.

Guinastasia
06-15-2014, 06:49 PM
I go to supercuts or great clips. It's hair. It's not rocket surgery.

Depends on the type of hair you have. Some people don't have wash and wear hair, and like a little more complicated hairstyle. (Mine has gone up to $20 plus tip. It's definitely worth it.)

campp
06-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Supercuts is fine. We buy the gift card at Xmas and end up getting $10 haircuts almost all year long.

Mr. Nylock
06-15-2014, 07:29 PM
First go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change, then get your haircut while waiting.

BubbaDog
06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Also, what do you mean when you say you don't get "ssi?"

Ppl wh wrk thr dnt gt ssi!

Sicks Ate
06-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Great Clips has online checkin now. If you walk in and wait an hour, it's your own damn fault.

I have an easy haircut and it usually comes out ok. I've found the stylists at Sport Clips are more competent in general, but they're more expensive.

I guess I probably would be better served by going to a barber.

HipGnosis
06-16-2014, 10:10 AM
I've had my hair trimmed at GC before. Both my kids as well. It's not somewhere I'd go to have a really complex cut done and I wouldn't expect miracles, but they did a good job on mine and my girls' hair.

The one bummer is that they are only walk-in--which means when they're running the sale cut, it's an hour wait--Ick...I have zero patience! :D

I don't know if it's nation wide, but here in WI we have; http://greatclips.com/online-check-in
But.. it doesn't let you make an appt.!!? I know what time I get off work. I know what time I'll get to G.C. But I have to check the site a cpl times in the 5-10 min's before I leave work to 'check-in'.

kayaker
06-16-2014, 11:40 AM
I go to a privately owned salon and I pay 9 bucks a hair

:eek:

Tim R. Mortiss
06-16-2014, 11:52 AM
As far as cheapskates go, I've got you all beat. I cut my own hair with a clipper. Free, except for the cost of electricity and depreciation on the $25 clipper.

As for the (probably long dead) OP, if you have long hair, why not experiment at a new, cheaper place? Just don't get too much cut off. If the cut sucks, go to a better place and have them cut off a few more inches with better quality work.

erysichthon
06-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Great Clips is fine if you always get the same simple haircut (one that described in one or two concise sentences). If you want a new look and/or tend to describe hairstyles with vague, elliptical terms, GC is probably not your best choice. My daughter claims that GC stylists are limited to thirteen minutes per client; I haven't verified that, but I always seem to be in and out of there in under fifteen minutes. I use the online check-in and never have to wait more than a couple of minutes.

One thing I've noticed is that GC coupons and promotions seem to vary from one location to another. For a couple of years I lived in a very small town where the GC seemed to be struggling for customers, and they were always offering coupons and discounts (in fact, they would accept ANY coupon, GC or not, expired or not). I recently moved to a much larger city, and the always-busy GC in my neighborhood acts like coupons don't exist.

Incidentally, GC now has all their client information stored on a central server. You can go to any GC location and they'll already know how you usually get your hair done.

racepug
06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
If you are then so am I 'cause I go to Great Clips all the time to get my hair cut. I quit going to my other hair cutter a few years ago because I wasn't working and I could no longer understand paying what amounted to over $1 per minute for what I figured was a pretty straightforward haircut. There happens to be a Great Clips very close to the P & R I take my car to in the mornings so for me going there works out just fine.

Kimballkid
06-16-2014, 05:16 PM
First go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change, then get your haircut while waiting.

They cut hair at Jiffy Lube now?!

Gives a whole new meaning to 'A little dab'll do ya'.

:D

kayaker
06-17-2014, 07:35 AM
My daughter claims that GC stylists are limited to thirteen minutes per client;

My eyebrows take longer than that!

kiz
06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
We don't have Great Clips but we've got a couple of their competitors in the area. I've gone whenever I've just needed a trim ("Follow the shape of the cut I originally got") or whenever my hair's gotten too long and I don't have the patience to figure out what kind of style I want ("Please take off at least 3 inches"). I've always found the stylists competent. They might not execute complicated styles, but they're very efficient.

Added bonus: The "GC Equivalent" closest to me has longstanding employees. I know one woman has been there for at least 10-15 years? The others maybe not so long, but they've all been there at least a couple of years.

My husband prefers them to an actual barber because of that efficiency.

Best Topics: costco mayonnaise 46 week pregnancy best stripper name solitaire in vegas motor kote episcopal priest salary expired clindamycin distinct pleasure the big end sofa name anal slang posted balance pronounce anesthesiologist horse gag video small cabover trucks first alarm fire jalapenos turned red blood pressure phobia mmc meaning arnold schwarzenegger porn dishwater blonde ishtar soundtrack gallium safety concrete trucks earbuds uncomfortable r'lyeh pronounce substitutions for nutmeg man tissues chandler's job surgical tubing cvs can mutes whisper main stack hamburger cooker blepharitis forum groundhog marmot can caffeine not affect you how long can soda sit out d&d 3.5 awakened animal template recipes with leftover pork chops how long does it take to make a movie my people were fair how long should you wait for someone oil pressure light comes on at idle on fedex truck for delivery how much weight can a nail hold in drywall how often to seal driveway o level equivalent in usa top part of window falls down paris hilton bacon number red hair vs blonde hair removing bifold closet doors how much cocaine to get high cost to put a cat down rabies shots in stomach buying wood at home depot how to tone down red hair dye mr coffee strong brew how to do an italian accent how to thaw buns do guys get hard easily dog tag in teeth how to write a check with 0 cents julia louis-dreyfus nipples how to use motorcycle helmet lock how long for dove eggs to hatch roofing nails with rubber washer