PDA

View Full Version : Funny or just plain odd business names

vivalostwages
02-11-2003, 03:45 PM
This might have been done before, but lord knows, there are always new oddities out there to discover.....

I just saw a seafood market called T&A Seafood.

But that wasn't even the funniest one. There was a truck rental place near it called Suppose U Drive. It seems bland at first, but the more I think about it, it's an unusual but catchy name for a business. If you ran a buffet, you could call it Suppose U Chow Down. Or a school: Suppose U Learn. Or....?

There's also the nearby offices of Chew Dental (I love that one).

Contributions, please.

merge
02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I used to work for a place with SAC as its acronym... we always found that one funny to use for advertising ideas...

also... I find the name Bill and Harry's a very odd Chineese Food name... great food though...

«yrin
02-11-2003, 03:57 PM
There is a place near my work, I drive past it on "coffee runs", it's called "ISA PUR Supermarket"

Kills me, EVERY time!

Eve
02-11-2003, 04:02 PM
They've since changed their name, dammit, but there used to be an El Paso Gas Company.

And there's a demolition company in BaltimoreóI can't remember the company name, but their slogan is, "We Destroy Everything We Touch!"

XJETGIRLX
02-11-2003, 04:03 PM
We have a furniture store called Wood U

And then there's the chinese restaurnt Wok n' Roll
In Jacksonville there's also a Chinee Takee Outee restaurant

Kalhoun
02-11-2003, 04:04 PM
I once bought a hot dog at "Eat It and Beat It". Ooooooh...It was soooo hot!

Duke
02-11-2003, 04:11 PM
There's a restaurant in Torrance, CA, near where I used to live, called "Leave Me Alone." Closely related is the bar north of Dubois, PA on Route 219 called "Don't Know Tavern."

My favorite one was the sign on I-110 north of San Pedro, CA, advertising "Aggressive Erections." I hope it was for a construction company.

Spit
02-11-2003, 04:16 PM
We have a funeral home in the next town over that goes by the name of Bruce & Stiff.

angelicate
02-11-2003, 04:17 PM
There's a "Pane in the Glass" stained glass studio down the road from my house.

WordMan
02-11-2003, 04:21 PM
There is a Fish Restaurant on North Carolina's Crystal Coast called the Sanitary Fish Market.....eww.

I have never liked Ruth's Chris Steak House - it just makes no sense, even after I learned the story (lady named Ruth buys a place called Chris' Steak House, is more successful, opens up a chain of them, but has an ego, so decides to call them, you guessed it "Ruth's Chris Steak House".....

malita
02-11-2003, 04:23 PM
in my hometown, there is a funeral home named Boxwell Bros.

also, here in Austin there is a junk/thrift/resale store called Austin Found LOVE IT!!

Flymaster
02-11-2003, 04:37 PM
There's a liquor store about 2 miles from my house called Bunghole Liquors. You've probably seen the picture of it circling around the 'net.

Rico
02-11-2003, 04:53 PM
A couple from Los Angeles:

Culver City Meat Company's trucks deliver all over the city - with their slogan proudly emblazoned on their sides in large letters: You Can't Beat Our Meat!

A hair salon in Burbank: The Best Little Hairhouse in Burbank.

TGWATY
02-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Any construction company with the word Erections in its name. (We have one here.)

I know of a highway convenience store/gas station named Please Stop!

Abe Babe
02-11-2003, 05:00 PM
On the north shore of Chicago, I saw a van driving around. They were a chimney sweep/carpet cleaning service. . .

called Ashwipes.

I'm totally looking them up when I get my chimney cleaned.

In the NW 'burbs, there's a few hair salons called Best Head

dwc1970
02-11-2003, 05:09 PM
I've seen a hair salon called Curl Up and Dye around here, although I suspect this one isn't quite so original.

There's a coffee shop called Brewed Awakenings.

Also, in some small town about 90 miles from here is a roadside tavern called Don't Ask Bar. I imagine this name came about when people would ask their friends where they're going and they'd reply, "Don't Ask."

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
02-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by vivalostwages
There was a truck rental place near it called Suppose U Drive. It seems bland at first, but the more I think about it, it's an unusual but catchy name for a business.
I've seen the "Suppose U Drive" trucks, too. I always thought they should go one better and call themselves, "What? You want I should drive?"

Flamsterette_X
02-11-2003, 05:11 PM
There's a Chinese restaurant near my place with the name of Insomnia karaoke Restaurant. I have NO idea what's up with the name. As my sister said when I told her about it: "Aiya.. what kind of clientele do they want?" My brother thought it was a hilarious mistranslation.. perhaps, but I don't know if I want to eat there!

F_X

Colibri
02-11-2003, 05:18 PM
On the highway between Panama City and Colon there is an eating establishment that made me double-take the first time I saw it: the Dago Restaurant.

One of the main supermarket chains here is called Casa de la Carne (Meat House) (the English translation is included in the signs.)

seal_cleaner
02-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Local iInsurance company:
Bare and Sweat

(actually spelled Swett, but pronounced sweat)
Been trying to think of a slogan for them.....

tanstaafl
02-11-2003, 05:33 PM
In Tennessee there is (or was when I lived there) a building supply company named S&M Supply.

Near Beaver Creek, Colorado there is a package store named Beaver Liquor.

LifeOnWry
02-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Coffee shops and hair salons are probably the best punning businesses in general. Oh, and hot dog stands, like Franks For The Memories, Frankly Speaking, and Franks-A-Lot.

vivalostwages
02-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by javaman
I've seen the "Suppose U Drive" trucks, too. I always thought they should go one better and call themselves, "What? You want I should drive?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw it (and T&A) in Glendale, CA. Is the truck place a national chain?

tanstaafl
02-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Heh, that reminds me. There used to be a place in Columbia, South Carolina that sold hot dogs and beer. The name? Frank 'n Steins.

vivalostwages
02-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
We have a furniture store called Wood U

And then there's the chinese restaurnt Wok n' Roll
In Jacksonville there's also a Chinee Takee Outee restaurant
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've got a small Chinese franchise here called Tasty Goody.

World Eater
02-11-2003, 06:25 PM
I always thought Rent-A-Wreck was a strange name.

I'm sure I'm only the 567,776,134,097 person to point that out.

indyz
02-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Abe Babe
On the north shore of Chicago, I saw a van driving around. They were a chimney sweep/carpet cleaning service. . .

called Ashwipes.

I'm totally looking them up when I get my chimney cleaned.
Ashwipes in located on the south side of Vernon Hills. Don't have a chimney, so I've never used them, but the sign always makes me laugh.

My favorite is the law firm with the unfortunate web address, http://mofo.com

--
B

shoe1234
02-11-2003, 06:50 PM
There's a bar in the suburbs of Cincinnati called the Flicker Inn...My sister always added "stagger out" when she referred to it. She's always made me laugh.

XJETGIRLX
02-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by vivalostwages
We've got a small Chinese franchise here called Tasty Goody.

Oh! I almost forgot. We've got a Chinese buffet called just 'Tasty'. It actually is!

LifeOnWry
02-11-2003, 06:59 PM
I know of taverns by the following names:

My Mother's Apartment
At The Office
Dave's Not Here

dogbutler
02-11-2003, 08:13 PM
There is a used car lot between Raleigh and Goldsboro called Sadisco

Dragonblink
02-11-2003, 09:12 PM
In Glendale, CA there's a liquor store called Red Carpet Liquor (affectionately known as "The Bloody Lesbian").

In the next city over there used to be a Chinese restaurant called the Poo Ping Palace, but it closed a few years back. Possibly because too many groups of rowdy high school kids made it an initiation rite to take a dump in front of the Palace during business hours.

vivalostwages
02-11-2003, 09:15 PM
What is it with Glendale? ;) That's where the ones mentioned in the OP were.

There's also a Big!Lots/Pic n' Save clone in Vegas called MacFrugal's.

Payne N. Diaz
02-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Um, BigLots and MacFrugals are the same thing, at least around here--they changed from Mac to BL a year or so ago.

Johnny L.A.
02-11-2003, 09:37 PM
A few companies that contributed data to my employer:

Seattle House of Hose
Assman Electronics
Nicewonger

II Gyan II
02-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Sometimes a name is funny in another language.

The Udder Guys is a local dairy supplier.

Besides the name in english itself, the sound Guy in Hindi/Gujarati means cow.

Shagnasty
02-11-2003, 10:35 PM
There is a really nice Japanese restaurant in Boston named Fugakyu. I have no idea why they chose that name and I did a double-take the first time I saw it.

http://bostonphoenix.com/listings%5Cfood/by_restaurant/FUGAKYU.html

OxyMoron
02-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by indyz
Ashwipes in located on the south side of Vernon Hills. Don't have a chimney, so I've never used them, but the sign always makes me laugh.

My favorite is the law firm with the unfortunate web address, http://mofo.com

--
B Please. I know folks both in the NY office and the home office in SF - it's not unintentional. They've gone by MoFo unofficially for years. Anyone cranky about it is long gone.

clayton_e
02-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by LifeOnWry
Dave's Not Here

HAHAHAHA!! That's great... hehe...

And I started a thread on one of my town's own weird business names:

PMS (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=160821) (Oh, and the vans for the company actually had "PMS" written on the sides of it, no words to go along with the acronym either, hehe.)

Duke
02-11-2003, 10:52 PM
"Dave's Not Here" reminds me of a bicycle repair shop in Toronto called "Dave, Fix My Bike."

There's also a tavern in Mexico called "Shut Up Frank's." Apparently, "Shut up Frank" was the only phrase the wife of the owner knew in English.

A Young Turkish Catastrophe
02-11-2003, 11:11 PM
the best i have ever seen was a small nondescript office-park laboratory in suburban montreal called "ANALTECH." There is also a company in or around toronto making radiator parts or ball-bearings or something to that effect called, simply, FAG.

Tikki
02-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Down the hill from me is Phuket Thai Restaurant.

There's a place called Metal Shortswhich apparently has something to do with metals and not shorts.

Buffalo Sanitary Wipers always made us laugh. It's a commercial laundry.

There's a van I've seen twice now in my area. On its side it says, Crapo Appliance Repair.

CuriousCanuck
02-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Here in Ontario there is a business called

:eek:

Cumming Cockburn (http://cumming-cockburn.com/)

:eek:

Gets me every time!

A Young Turkish Catastrophe
02-11-2003, 11:42 PM
also Bich Nga (there's one in toronto and supposedly in vancouver) and 1-800-GOT-JUNK? (as in 1-800-YOU-GOT-SOME-DOPE-DUDE?) are pretty unfortunate names. and the LBSH shoe store. no indication of what LBSH might mean. and i've seen some restaurants with cute taglines, like madras dosa hut: the excellent dosa place for you! and mr pong's: home of the awesome jumbo (their car says something to the effect of "awesome! totally rad! bodacious dude!").

Green Bean
02-12-2003, 12:42 AM
A mile or so from my house is a factory called Standard Nipple Works. Og only knows what they make in there.

Sublight
02-12-2003, 02:19 AM
I've seen a chain of coffee shops around Tokyo named La Derriere.

A coffee shop/restaurant in Tokyo named The Vulgar Cafe (good curry).

A junk/nostalgia/Americana shop in Hamamatsu called The Booby Whoop.

Yesterday, I saw a restaurant in Utsunomiya with a huge sign out front advertising "Stake and Seafood".

JThunder
02-12-2003, 02:59 AM
There's a sensor company called Sick (http://sick.com).

I used to know of a robotics company called The Minor Corporation (named after its founder), but I don't know what happened to them.

Michael Ellis
02-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by A Young Turkish Catastrophe[/B]

Best. Newbie name. Ever.

phraser
02-12-2003, 03:24 AM
In Bathurst, Australia (a smallish rural town), while at a conference for queer students, we discovered a shop called "Dykes Dry Cleaning".

Needless to say, there is now a photo of us outside that shop.

airdisc
02-12-2003, 07:00 AM
I saw a cleaning van once that said "BIG DICK'S CLEANING SERVICE".

That was pretty funny.

VunderBob
02-12-2003, 08:03 AM
There's a Chinese restuarant here in Indianapolis named Ho Lee Chow

A hot dog stand that I used to frequent at Reagan National Airport was named Frank 'n' Stein. Beer and knockwurst...

Johnny L.A.
02-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Fluke Electronics. I think their motto shoulw be {If it works well, it's a Fluke!"

I used to drive by a place downtown called Ono Fish Cakes. Every time I drove by I had to shriek to myself, "Oh, noooooo! Fiiish caaaakes!"

Has anyone heard of Dick Knows Video?

NurseCarmen
02-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Chez Monuex

it sells deserts and sweets.

OxyMoron
02-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Tikki
Ermm....you do know that Phuket is pronounced (roughly) pooh-ket, right? ;) (Aparently you sort of aspirate the P, which is why there's an H after it. It is definitely not pronounced with an "f" sound.)

It's become quite a tourist destination: Phuket, Thailand (http://phuket.com/).

Adridne
02-12-2003, 09:54 AM
There's a company in Amherst, MA called Amherst Trucking, but the font on their trucks is a very thin scripty font, so the "r" sort of merges with the "T". Thus, they are known as Amherst Fucking.

Scribble
02-12-2003, 12:55 PM
I don't quite know if this counts, but...

An ex-boyfriend's father's name was John Johns.

And he had a plumbing business.

No, I'm not making this up.

Skelji
02-12-2003, 02:57 PM
From Monday's Bartcop page (http://bartcop.com/0995.htm), there is a picture near the bottom for "Big Dick's Halfway Inn".

kasuo
02-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Tikki

We also got one of those nearby in Belmont Shore (Long Beach), CA.

Supposedly, there's this strip bar out in Lake Forest called The Library.

tunabreath
02-12-2003, 03:14 PM
In Elizabeth City there's an ice cream shop(can't remember the name) and they sell "Like New Ice Cream!" Wouldn't that make it slightly used?

Johnny Pebs
02-12-2003, 06:05 PM
There's a laundromat here in Tampa called Debbie Does Laundry. There's also a 4x4 shop over in Clearwater called S&M Truck Parts.

Not a business name, but a sign I saw outside of a restaurant one day when I was driving by:

Daily Specials
everyday
:smack:

Pebs

viking
02-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Not so much an amusing name as a great example of vertical market integration:

Jackson's driving school and body shop.

I kid you not. On East Hastings, around Victoria Drive. As Dave Barry says, I swear I am not making this up.

SparrowHawk
02-12-2003, 07:40 PM
There's a car dealership here called Jim Slemons. The license plate holders have the name on the bottom, all caps, kind of smushed together. Would you buy a car from a place called JIMSLEMONS?

Manatee
02-12-2003, 08:04 PM
A local massage (no, not the sex kind, you perv, just the physical therapy kind) is called Nice to Be Kneaded.

I also have a couple of places nearby that are pretty mediocre:

OK Chinese
OK Doughnuts

C'mon, guys! Show a little pride in your food!

vivalostwages
02-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by kasuo
We also got one of those nearby in Belmont Shore (Long Beach), CA.

SNIP. [/B]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's another one in CA, in Sierra Madre. A friend made it a point to show it to me. Most of us had no idea that there was another way to pronounce it than what we had assumed. ;)

rostfrei
02-12-2003, 09:33 PM
There's a hair salon in Liverpool, England called "Curl up and Dye". Or there used to be anyway.

Tikki
02-12-2003, 10:12 PM
If you want milk, call the Creamery at Pike Place Market in Seattle and ask for Nancy Nipples. She's the owner.

Ludovic
02-13-2003, 12:46 AM
Here in FL we have a T+A Produce Company.

Used to have a "People's Gas". Took me awhile to get that.

We also have a Jackson and Associates construction company, which isnt funny till a prankster graffities their sign and it becomes
Jackson and Associates.

Best Topics: pierce brosnan accent rimshot sex keypad entry car anon define ranstad works frank sinatra voice kosher vegetarian malta drink ingredients chloroform death bodybuilders boobs tattoo commission six legged animal quarter without ridges shrek says donkey adobe reader freezing honda pax wheels real mouse hole outcall only naturally pointed ears crema mexicana uses vicodin euphoria processes pronunciation bruised lumps jewess offensive loaded questions questions jack brake scottish endearments squad hand signals strikeout symbol 2d dogs library checkout cards whale farm loperamide iv scully queequeg los alamos meaning traffic haus marx brothers songs advil gel caps vs tablets what's the difference between a novel and a book six feet under brenda cheats woman with eye patch illegal to sell cars on sunday how fast does zpack work dating a woman with 3 kids how long does poison ivy oil last on clothes are class rings worth it what is the interest on a billion dollars why does sean murray voice sound different pop songs in minor keys list how to remove medical tape adhesive from skin can i use half and half instead of milk homer simpson crusty eyes what makes harvard unique i like to go swimmin with bowlegged woman lyrics song that says hey hey hey why did my power go out and come back on straight talk change sim highest like to dislike ratio on youtube raising retirement age pros and cons a bank may lend an amount equal to its what is suffragette city refill ink cartridges walgreens kicker comp 12 recommended amp five dollar bills with red serial numbers what temperature does galvanized steel become toxic how to address sympathy card part time jobs two days a week how to change shipping preference on amazon after order what to feed a cat to gain weight