PDA

View Full Version : Best Friday afternoon work-ending song?

Dinsdale
03-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Just got done listening to Dave Clark 5 - Five O'Clock World. I know someone who's gonna be yodeling on their way to the train.

What are your nominations for best songs celebrating getting out of work at the end of the day/week?

stolichnaya
03-07-2003, 04:46 PM
IIIII don't want to work

I just want to bang on the drum alll day.

-Todd Rundgren "Bang on the Drum"

Sauron
03-07-2003, 04:50 PM
I kinda like "Workin' for the Weekend" by Loverboy.

Soup_du_jour
03-07-2003, 04:51 PM
It isn't really about work but...

"Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure always picks me up.

YellowTail
03-07-2003, 04:51 PM
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer
George Thoroughgood

Ol'Gaffer
03-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Back when we used to have a Z-Rock station, they used to play a song every Friday called Tap the Keg. I have no idea who it was by but it wasalways appropriate.

Fibonacci
03-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Dinsdale
Just got done listening to Dave Clark 5 - Five O'Clock World. I know someone who's gonna be yodeling on their way to the train.

What are your nominations for best songs celebrating getting out of work at the end of the day/week?
"Five O'Clock World" was by the Vogues.

I'd go with Dave Edmunds' "Here Comes The Weekend", The Easybeats' "Friday On My Mind" or NRBQ's "It's A Wild Weekend."

Dinsdale
03-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Right you are, Fib. I'm an idiot (but nevertheless, a yodelling idiot 15 minutes away from clocking out!)

I trade my time for the pay I get,
Living on money that I don't have yet...

Yeah yeah yeah

Labdad
03-07-2003, 05:16 PM
"Friday On My Mind" by the Easy Beats. Lyrics here (http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/9385/lyrics/friday.htm).

dinahmoe
03-07-2003, 05:35 PM
"Happy Hour" by the Housemartins

Beadalin
03-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Aw, man! Labdad beat me to it. Great song.

riserius1
03-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Just for the sheer irony of it, I gotta go with "Monday Morning Rock" by Marshall Crenshaw

Chris W

Roadwalker
03-07-2003, 07:29 PM
I have Freebird by Skynard scheduled to run on my computer every Friday.

Yorikke
03-07-2003, 07:39 PM
I used to live in San Fran. Every Friday (or maybe every day at 5) they played a reggae song called "Smoke Two Joints." Dunno the artist, but it was a great choice.

My fave, though, is "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. Crank that bitch up to 10 on the drive home...

hrh

Yorikke
03-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by hrhomer
I used to live in San Fran. Every Friday (or maybe every day at 5) they played a reggae song called "Smoke Two Joints." Dunno the artist, but it was a great choice.

Oops. The station was KFOG.

hrh

Morbo
03-07-2003, 07:43 PM
A couple favorites of mine for the drive home:

"Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine. Especially the "||: Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! :||" part.

There's a Fatboy Slim song I also like to play (I never knew the song names, just made a compilation CD) that has the wonderful Friday lyric "I never worked a day in my life. I just laid back and let the big beat lead me."

Morbo
03-07-2003, 07:44 PM
hrhomer: Here ya go (http://thetoyes.com/lyrics/lyrsmoke2.html). Live 105 plays it quite regularly.

skalar
03-07-2003, 07:46 PM
For anyone that likes ska music... try "Shovels" by the Square Roots. "Throw down your shovels and dance!"

John Carter of Mars
03-07-2003, 08:53 PM
I don't know exactly why, but I always get cranked by playing Dylan's "Postitvely Fourth Street" on the Friday drive home.

Maybe something to do with the line: "Don't you understand it's not my problem?" :D

Skywatcher
03-07-2003, 09:33 PM
I used to whistle an arrangement of The Great Escape theme when leaving work.

Rhum Runner
03-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Dooku
There's a Fatboy Slim song I also like to play (I never knew the song names, just made a compilation CD) that has the wonderful Friday lyric "I never worked a day in my life. I just laid back and let the big beat lead me."
You can find this on a cd called "On the floor at the Boutique" which was mixed by FBS, though it credits the song to "Michael Viner's Increadible Bongo Band"

Anyway, FWIW, happy Friday!

kaylasdad99
03-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Aloha Friday, by Kimo Kahoano and the Aloha Friday Band.

"It's Aloha Friday
No work 'til Monday
Doo doo di doo
da doo da doo da doo da doo da doo."

Lizard
03-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Two songs immediately came to mind.

Tom Petty, "Free Fallin'"

I wanna free fall out into nothin'
Gonna leave this world for a while
And I'm free I'm free fallin'
Yeah I'm free free fallin'

And Janet Jackson, "Escapade"

My mind's tired
I've worked so hard all week
Cashed my check
I'm ready to go
I promise you
I'll show you such a good time

Come on baby let's get away
Let's save your troubles for another day
Come go with me we've got it made
Let me take you on an escapade

NicePete
03-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Freshman year of college, my roomate and I used to BLAST Achilles Last Stand at 5:00 every Friday. Personally, I preferred the version of Rock and Roll from The Song Remains the Same, but it was a tradition.

Now I just cringe whenever a Cadillac commercial comes on.

SnugTheJoiner
03-08-2003, 03:09 AM
"I'M FREE!
I'M FREE!
AND FREEDOMMMMMM
TASTES . . .
OF RE-AL-I-TEE-HEE!"

"Tommy," The Who

Kyomara
03-08-2003, 05:55 AM
"Weekend Song" by Billy Joel

This back-breakin bone-shakin belly-achin hard-workin...
Two more hours to go.
Just keeping me alive doing nine to five
And I ain't got nothing to show.
But tonight when I'm leavin I'll be just breakin even
And I know it's gonna be alright.
Come on baby, take me away.
We got some money to spend tonight.

raizok
03-08-2003, 06:29 AM
"Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini" manages to put a smile on my usually twisted features before the weekend starts.

Fern Forest
03-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by kaylasdad99
Aloha Friday, by Kimo Kahoano and the Aloha Friday Band.That song is so ubiquitous here it's almost impossible to believe that it's barely 7 years old.

voguevixen
03-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Dire Straights - The Sultans of Swing

And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
He's got a daytime job he's doing alright
He can play honky tonk just like anything
Saving it up for Friday night

HelloKitty
03-08-2003, 11:39 AM
They used to always play [b]Switch into Glide[b] by the Kings here in Kansas City. Really gets you in the mood for the weekend!

Biggirl
03-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Here at the top 40 station they play Let Me Clear My Throat and Bang The Drum.

msmith537
03-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Ice Cube - Friday

Lazlo
03-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I'd have to say Finally Friday by George Jones.

I've got a hundred dollars sittin' in my billfold
I know I oughta save it but it's burnin' a hole
Right through my wallet straight into my skin
Come Monday morning I'll be broke again

It's finally Friday
I'm free again
Got my motor runnin' for a wild weekend

Except with my schedule it should be "Finally Wednesday Morning."

Kat
03-08-2003, 04:44 PM
[b]Finally Friday[/i] is a good one, but the first that comes to my mind is I Don't Have To Be Me Til Monday by Steve Azar. Of course, to truly follow that song, you'd have to call in sick on Friday with a bogus excuse and have a 3-day weekend.

I don't have to be me til Monday
Friday, Saturday, Sunday
I ain't gonna face reality

Eutychus
03-08-2003, 04:46 PM
"Quitting Time" by The Roches

Toffe
03-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Hm. The thread title immediately made me think of "Lake of Fire" (off the Nirvana: Unplugged in New York CD). Here's hoping I don't end up working in customer service or something.

"Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to a lake of fire and fry
Won't see 'em again 'til the fourth of July..."

catfish252
05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Jonathan Edwards - Shanty(The Friday Song) played at 5:00pm on Friday by most of the rock stations I ever listened to. The would start off with 5 O Clock World, Friday on my mind and a few others ending with 'Shanty'

blondebear
05-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Friday (http://youtu.be/4kGEodzbfZk) - Joe Jackson

"She don't care no more, she gets paid on Friday."

CheshireKat
05-23-2014, 10:18 PM
By Friday ya' just wanna be unemployed...

BTO Takin' Care of Business (https://youtube.com/watch?v=NCIUf8eYPqA)

Superdude
05-23-2014, 10:21 PM

My fave, though, is "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. Crank that bitch up to 10 on the drive home...

hrh

Was it the cover by Sublime (https://youtube.com/watch?v=DIEvHCyb4Ms), or the original by The Toyes (https://youtube.com/watch?v=4UUPY902Ph0)? Personally, I prefer the Sublime version.

ETA: My Friday song is "Until the Night," (https://youtube.com/watch?v=OHWX_cdzFFU) also by Billy Joel

Missy2U
05-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Petula Clark - "I Know a Place". We were blasting the heck out of it last night. :)

Son of a Rich
05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
I tried in vain to find a clip of Homer singing "Girls Just Want to have Fun" from that flashback episode.

The Other Waldo Pepper
05-25-2014, 08:24 AM
They'll stone ya when yer tryin' ta make a buck.
They'll stone ya and then they'll say "Good Luck."
Tell ya what: "I would not feel so all alone...
EVVVVVV'rybody MUST! GET! STONED!"

elbows
05-25-2014, 08:51 AM
It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

jerez
05-25-2014, 09:25 AM
"School's Out" by Alice Cooper.

Snowboarder Bo
05-25-2014, 09:35 AM
As with most situations, my favorite song to hear when I get off work for a couple of days is (of course) Motörhead's Ace Of Spades (https://youtube.com/watch?v=YttBoorUksc).

Back when we used to have a Z-Rock station, they used to play a song every Friday called Tap the Keg. I have no idea who it was by but it wasalways appropriate.

That would be Tap The Keg (https://youtube.com/watch?v=HKKTdFlHdEA) by SGM, also known as Shotgun Mama, a Seattle punk/metal/rap band that put out just one awesomely fun album, Aggression. And yeah, I heard this on Z-Rock stations back in the late '80s too.

Zakalwe
05-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Counter-pick here:
One for my baby (and one more for the road) - Frank Sinatra

There are three of us in an office and we've taken to playing music during the day, that's always the end of day song.

Flywheel
05-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Cocktails for Two (https://youtube.com/watch?v=bYrv-kBUh3Y) - Spike Jones

John Mace
05-25-2014, 02:55 PM

hrh

Oops. The station was KFOG.

hrh

Still is, and they still do.

They call it "The Attitude Adjustment Hour".

ouryL
05-25-2014, 02:56 PM

You mean the Vogues.

bobot
05-25-2014, 04:35 PM
No love for Rebecca Black up in here?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
This song dosen't have 68 million views because it sucks!

Best Topics: count age old magazines online rbox streaming tv klaatu barada nicto porkins kfc 19mm inches vermonty python pigs penis corkscrew vehicle description catnip mean clogged toilet drano ryan duffey strode no show job drilling into cement sideways vaginas faberge black widow nos addiction blue dolphin magazine usps replacement key kicker holder airtight vs watertight stolen kindle jailbroken firesticks uplift series nucleation points cat nail filing expired bacon owl cats silencer on revolver beetlejuice sandworms naughty crossword puzzles frigidaire econ mode sme blocked meth euphoria coyote screams baking spray paint in oven drew carey improvaganza full episodes hotels that allow unaccompanied minors can i use diesel in my oil furnace chevy chase maryland actor jasmine tea with milk removing root canal tooth what animal has the best sense of hearing why hide license plate in photos how to make a low flow toilet flush better does the president need a passport propulsion in a vacuum does a polyester shower curtain need a liner is it illegal to say i want to kill the president does olive oil evaporate who is cager world allstars roomba fall down stairs romper room song lyrics hodges directory phone lookup food sources of glucosamine can a 16 year old date a 21 year old can i register a car for someone else how to fix a whiteboard that won't erase houston strip club review no oil in car hells angels nomads california im on birth control and my period is late i will motivate you private pyle certified mail not delivered interpersonal communication vs public speaking