PDA

View Full Version : Car is overheating; what are the possible causes?

Cuckoorex
03-23-2003, 03:40 PM
OK, mechanically-inclined Dopers, here's the situation:

I have a 1989 Dodge Dynasty with a 6-cylinder engine, automatic tranny.

The engine temp gauge on my dash keeps indicating that the car is overheating (this began yesterday).

I'm not leaking antifreeze anywhere that I can see.

There is no steam or hissing noises coming from any part of the engine.

I just replaced the thermostat yesterday, thinking that it might have been the problem, but I still get the same symptoms. When I replaced the tehrmostat, I had a loose bolt on the housing connecting the radiator hose to the manifold, and when it overheated this time there was steam, but only from the area that had the loose bolt. This however did not happen before I replaced the thermostat.

I checked the oil level, which was normal. I'm thinking that if I had a cracked engine block that I would probably have oil mixing with antifreeze and raising the oil levels, but there was nothing abnormal there. (I'm not sure that is a reliable indicator, though.)

The antifreeze reservoir seems to be overfilled now (it wasn't before).

So, is there anything else I can check or replace before I give in and take it to a garage?

billy
03-23-2003, 03:58 PM
On a car that old, it could be that the radiator is getting clogged. Have you been flushing the cooling system at regular intervals over the last several years?

Could also be that your water pump is failing or you have a loose belt running the water pump. If the pump is failing or the belt is loose, you should be able to hear something is wrong. The bad pump usually makes bad mechanical sounds though not always and a loose belt should squeal.

When the car is cool, open the radiator cap, start the car and wait for it warm up. When the thermostat opens, you should see lots flow through the radiator, telling you that the thermostat is working and the water pump is pumping.

I'm not sure what happens if the the cap is off and the radiator is clogged.

Good luck

billy
03-23-2003, 04:02 PM
One other thing, if the car is over heating but the heater in the car is not as warm as usual, you can reason that the water pump isn't pumping as the heater has nothing to do with either the radiator or the thermostat.

I believe the heater core runs on the same loop as the engine block so that even with the thermostat closed, the heater core should be getting warm water from the engine block. At least that is the way it was on my old VW golf.

enipla
03-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Does your radiator cap look like it is sealing well? Check the rubber seal, and the spring.

The overflow into the resorvior suggests overheating. But it may just be that the seal on the radiator cap is bad.

If your cap isn't sealing, it may cause overheating and some of the steam is getting buy to the overflow.

Any strange smells, humidity, inside the car when the heat is on. That would suggest a heater core problem.

Just an idea.

Also billy had some very good ideas.

Good luck.

Cuckoorex
03-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not getting much (if any) warm air from the heater in the car, and when I turn on the heater there is a bit of an odd sound to it.

I have not had a radiator flush and fill done in quite a while. If there is a clog somewhere, will a flush and fill clear it out?

billy
03-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Cuckoorex
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not getting much (if any) warm air from the heater in the car, and when I turn on the heater there is a bit of an odd sound to it.

I have not had a radiator flush and fill done in quite a while. If there is a clog somewhere, will a flush and fill clear it out?

It is possible that the heater is cool because it is also clogged but that shouldn't cause overheating of the engine. The odds of both the radiator and heater core clogging at the same time seem rather low. It sounds most likely that your waterpump isn't working.

I do not know if flushing a radiator will unclog it.

hammerbach
03-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Long shot: Did you check the new thermostat before you put it in and did you check the old one when you took it out? (Put it on the stove in water with a thermometer and watc for it to open when it reaches the correct temp).

I have bought brand-new defective thermostats.

I imagine the others are more likely correct, but it's something to ponder...

handy
03-23-2003, 06:02 PM
Does the radiator have holes in it? Also, there are tests dye tests you can get at the auto store to test for oil in the radiator water, which, as mentioned above, needs to be changed at least every two years depending on what the car manf says.

gotpasswords
03-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Aside from problems that are directly related to the cooling system, other things that can cause overheating are dragging or sticking brakes, and running too lean. If the car overheats while sitting still, you can safely ignore brakes. :D

Combining the symptoms of the engine overheating and little heat from the heater seem to add up to either a plugged heater core, or more likely, tired, if not dead, water pump.

Probably the best thing to do is take the car to a radiator & cooling system shop and have them check it out. Don't be surprised if you need a new radiator and/or heater core - I've seen seemingly healthy radiators spring leaks after a cooling system flush - the gunk that was sealing up corroded-out holes is cleaned out, leaving holes. :eek:

Stan Doubt
03-24-2003, 12:24 AM
While your heater post would suggest otherwise, it is possible that your overheating is caused by a bad electric fan, fan relay, loose wiring or defective thermo switch or ECT sensor (the switch or sensor that tells the fan to come on).

Any underhood source of 12V can be used to test the fan's motor.

A multimeter or test light can fill you in on the rest- the fan should energize before the car "overheats".

Best Topics: define causeway drano didnt work auto window fan walmart adderall price valero logos local radio networks japan baseball fight shopping channel snark parlament cigarettes clutching your pearls looney tunes chipmunks fatal acetaminophen dose 5e travel speed real slate chalkboard define batshit bttf timeline freeze cheese slices 56 kbps n xau stripped nut removal cracking nose cartilage funny cow jokes dipshit origin 808's meaning craiglook cars everest life insurance markcharles misilli wedding dike lesbians handicapped motorcycle covina massacre wolverine strength soda bottle suppressor slick legging chandler bings middle name sell my motorcycle on craigslist is first hand hyphenated can scratches be buffed out of glasses charlie watson sons of guns what goes with corned beef and cabbage dinner hard lump under bruise how does the popcorn button work can you still use a rotary phone ethernet jack not working can you buy cigarettes with an expired license what is a 5th of alcohol how reliable are pt cruisers did jabba the hutt do princess leia why doesn't the federation have cloaking technology how to re pierce your ears how to cut ceramic tile without a saw compressive strength of balsa wood where can i find a typewriter pork roast in convection oven how to not get bed head what is the difference between asian and oriental potato in tailpipe mythbusters how to cut a lock off without bolt cutters difference between pedophile and can ibuprofen get you high wisdom teeth removal pain scale pvc pipe crack repair hp printer paper jam but no jam what does pokey mean how to make tater tots crispy