PDA

View Full Version : Handymen-How much does a sheet of half inch thick sheetrock weigh?

Hermann Cheruscan
03-28-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm just curious how much a sheet of half inch sheetrock weighs. I picked up 25 of them yesterday and put them in my van. They lowered the back end of my van by about 8 inches. Someone had told me previous that they only weighed about 30 lbs each, but I suspect they are far more than that. Oh, these are four feet by eight feet sheets.

Yossarian
03-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Quick Math:

Sheetrock = Gypsum

Gypsum has a density of 2.32 g/cm3.

Dimensions of drywall: 4' x 8' x 1/2", or:

121.92 cm x 243.84 cm x 1.27 cm

For a volume of 37,755.8 cm3

Multiplied by density (2.32 g/cc), gives us a mass of:

87,593.45 g, or ~87.6 kg

Hobie the One
03-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Just to save you the math

~39.5 lbs.

epeepunk
03-28-2003, 11:12 AM
My "Simplified Engineering for Architects and Builders" says that gypsum drywall, 1/2" thick, is 2.5 lbs / ft2, so a 4 x 8 sheet is 80 lbs. YMMV

epeepunk
03-28-2003, 11:15 AM
My "Simplified Engineering for Architects and Builders" says that gypsum drywall, 1/2" thick, is 2.5 lbs / ft2, so a 4 x 8 sheet is 80 lbs.

The US Gypsum manufacturing site says 1.6 lbs/ft2 = 51.2 lbs.

YMMV

Yossarian
03-28-2003, 11:23 AM
I suddenly realized: drywall isn't a solid sheet of gypsum, but consists of a gypsum core flanked by pretty thick paper--so consider my calculated value to be a maximum!

So much for construction advice from "Ivory Tower Contracting, LLP".

Finagle
03-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Pantellerite
Quick Math:

Sheetrock = Gypsum

87,593.45 g, or ~87.6 kg

This would be great, because I was singlehandedly wrestling drywall around my house for a few months, and it would be cool if I could lift over 200 pounds by myself. I'm thinking 45 or 50 lbs sounds about right. The sheets are awkward to handle, but they're not massively heavy.

Oh what the hell, in the interest of being true to the spirit of the Straight Dope, I just weighed a leftover chunk. To the accuracy of my bathroom scale, 8 square feet weighs 12 pounds. So 1.5 pounds/sq ft. So 48 lbs for a full sheet, more or less.

A tip to the reader, though -- never try to carry drywall on a roofrack unless you sandwich it between plywood. It's pretty embarrassing (and dangerous) when it starts peeling off the top of the car, and when you get home, you have a lot of worthless chalk and paper :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Engineering for Architects" book adds in a safety factor and possibly includes the drywall mud and fasteners as well, as it sounds like a book used for calculating dead loading.

SmackFu
03-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Just for the record, Hobie did the conversion backwards. Sorry Hobie.

Rocketeer
03-28-2003, 01:40 PM
It's tough to imagine another material which combines the twin attributes of high weight and low strength as efficiently as drywall.

:rolleyes:

chris young
03-30-2003, 09:25 AM
1/2inch sheetrock weighs 1.7 lb. per sq. ft. source the usg gypsum construction handbook

El_Kabong
03-30-2003, 09:42 AM
It's tough to imagine another material which combines the twin attributes of high weight and low strength as efficiently as drywall.

Particle board!

handy
03-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Way more than 30lbs, that's for sure..... around here you can rent a sheetrock installer contraption, that picks it up & puts it up on the ceiling for ya.

Hermann Cheruscan, have you thought of calling the store & asking them? Cause there are so many answers here, would like to know the right one.

David Simmons
03-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by handy
Way more than 30lbs, that's for sure..... around here you can rent a sheetrock installer contraption, that picks it up & puts it up on the ceiling for ya.

It's called a drywall jack around here. You can also buy a little gadget to use with your electric drill that sets drywall screws just below flush without breaking the paper.

Inspectors don't like broken paper around the screw heads. At least the on-the-ball ones don't.

Ouizee
11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Is there a small version of a drywall recycling system to crush small amounts of drywall

Chilliwack
11-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Inspectors don't like broken paper around the screw heads. At least the on-the-ball ones don't.

Inspectors in your municipality inspect drywall installation?

FluffyBob
11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Regular 8x4 1/2" is about 52 lbs, the lightweight stuff is about 45 lbs. That might not seem like a big difference but it is when you are hauling the stuff.

Errr....that was a one 3/4 ton van right? I will pick up a few sheets, but I would have 25 sheets delivered every time. There is enough suffering in life.

FluffyBob
11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Dammit. Zombie thread.

I do not know about any recycling systems but landfills around here have a special rate for 'clean' drywall.

Best Topics: foodhold usa llc acrylic polyester blanket ant feet stewie griffin accent punta slang joan cusack hot coo coo cachoo hyper globalism bible verse fonts western sound schaumburg downtown rosary service tetanus shot hurts dexter rita morgan black accents cement washer silver cups mad science music amish buggy lights farrah forke today jello and pudding tng inheritance west wing stirred upper arm hair coprophagia in humans ww2 cars brick hole ipanema song mulignan golf dfo meaning teenage college girls piece of wheat ky intense discontinued epw military card jack performance anxiety reddit catholic rosary service tootsie roll meaning renderable text anal sex as birth control what heals the fastest in the human body do birds pee? does ibuprofen help with stomach pain te quiero mucho meaning classic cartoon sound effects howard hughes and senator brewster what smells like skunk but isn't skunk see a penny pick it up rhyme how much is a piano tuning position eliminated vs fired crime scene body tape how much are doctor visits sniffing salt water to clear sinuses making an am antenna why does lead absorb radiation south park britney's new look living in an office space legal unlimited music downloads per month where can i buy sudafed tower this is ghost rider requesting a flyby half asian half white babies blue eyes if you gaze long into an abyss who cash checks without id mr bob dobalina wiki he rejected me but still acts interested best rum for daiquiris why do female dogs bleed what is jail like dog growls at own foot loaded question game online bowie ashes to ashes meaning what happened to mike brady's first wife