PDA

View Full Version : Expressions from the South... got any good ones?

she's come undone
04-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi Dopers! I remember seeing a thread here once a while ago that listed a bunch of interesting and colorful expressions, some of which originated from the South. I can't seem to find it.... anybody a clue what I'm talking about, or better yet, a link?

See, I have this friend who is moving to North Carolina and wanted to compile some of the best ones. I'd much appreciate any contributions, if y'all know any.

Here's some I remember:

"He's slicker than snot on a doorknob."

"You can't ride two horses with the same a s s."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

stoyel
04-29-2003, 06:41 PM
That dog don't hunt. (Your logic is fundamentally flawed, my good man.)

If that don't work, we'll always think it shoulda. (I think that one's pretty recent, but it's always delivered with a Southern drawl.)

So dry the trees are bribin' the dogs.

The classic, whole bucket o' ugly.

Splittin' mud. (Running fast.)

... you'd think after six years in Texas I would know more of these, but most of the other ones coming to mind ("Lower than a snake's belly") strike me as cliche. Ah well.

Punoqllads
04-29-2003, 06:42 PM
First of all, welcome to the Straight Dope!

"Yeah, and if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their butts on the ground."

"He needed killin'."

Important North Carolina fact:
It's spelled 'Krzyzewski', but pronounced 'shuh-shef-ski'. Likewise, it's spelled 'Duke' but pronounced 'the-university-of-new-jersey-at-durham'. At least, in Chapel Hill, it is.

And maybe a helpful moderator could shuffle this off to IMHO.

Stonebow
04-29-2003, 06:53 PM
i'm partial to
'sweatin' like a whore in church'
'colder than a witch's tit'
'colder than a brass monkey's balls'
'hotter'n 700 hunderd dollars'
'he needs kil't'
'a big ol' (anything)'
'bless her heart' (usually just after a horrible insult: i.e. she is the filthiest whore in this town...bless her heart)

just a few of my favs.

-stonebow, transplanted Yankee living in Arkansas

she's come undone
04-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Oops, sorry for the faux-pas... thought I had carefully chosen where my question should go.... my bad! :smack:

Margo
04-29-2003, 06:57 PM
I have only lived in the south for about 2 years, but here are some of my favorites:

Fixin' to get your picture made (getting your picture taken)
Pourin' down the rain
Hey! (this is the greeting instead of Hello)
No dogs my way (no cars coming on this side)

Margo

Cisco
04-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Ain't yet but I'm fixin' to.

How's yer mama 'n 'em?

[Anything] as hell. (Note that "Cold as hell" is just as effective as "Hot as hell.")

Fibonacci
04-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Here was one such thread.
http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=112080&highlight=TEXAS+CRUDE

Be sure to check out the "Texas Crude" link I posted in that thread.

Rick
04-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Slippery as greased owl shit. Used to denote something that is somewhat slick. :)

Mr. Blue Sky
04-29-2003, 07:32 PM
"Well, I'll be shit and shot for stinkin'"

"I'm fixin' to get ready"

"You ain't from around here, are ya?"

"He sure do got a purty mouth, don't he" :D

she's come undone
04-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Just what I was looking for Fibonacci, a thousand thanks!

Ca3799
04-29-2003, 08:02 PM
...so ugly s/he'd scare a buzzard off a gut wagon.

Ca3799
04-29-2003, 08:19 PM
...so ugly s/he'd scare a buzzard off a gut wagon.

I'm fixinta warsh (the truck, clothes, etc)

..get aholt of (something)

get shed of (something, usually a man)

John Kentzel-Griffin
04-29-2003, 09:16 PM
We'll just take this on over to IMHO -- Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

DrMatrix - General Questions Moderator

kirk
04-29-2003, 09:19 PM
Well poke my eyes out, because know I've seen everything.

jacksen9
04-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Hey, ya'll been to that Super Wal Mart yet?

Hey, she is one of them lee sisters,
Ugly
Lonely
Homely
Sickly

Catalyst
04-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Cisco
[Anything] as hell. (Note that "Cold as hell" is just as effective as "Hot as hell.")

Is this strictly a southern thing? I never associated it with any particular region.

desdinova
04-29-2003, 09:40 PM
"More fun than stomping on kittens."

An Air Force Lieutenant Colonel from Georgia taught me that one... I only use it rarely ;)

burundi
04-29-2003, 10:10 PM
"Useless as tits on a boar-hog"

"Fine as frog hairs" (in response to "How you doin?")

"Might could" for maybe ("I might could do that.")

Mariemarie
04-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Sleeping like a drunk cowboy.
Sleeping like a BIG dog. (Morphed into EVERYTHING like a big dog...Partying like a BIG dog, I am liking this steak like a BIG dog, Did you have a good vacation? Oh yeah like a BIG dog!)
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

How about that list of phrases you won't hear in the South?
"Does my hair look too big?"
"I'll take Shakespeare for a thousand, Alex."

stockton
04-29-2003, 11:06 PM
"Half-and-again as far" means 1.5X the measurement you're quoting.

As in: "He ran half-and-again the distance from here to the boat dock, but he still got caught and wound up on COPS."

Please don't get me started on "whole-nother," I'm trying to stomp that out.

AHunter3
04-29-2003, 11:23 PM
You want some of this here orange? I'll cut it half in two, then.

presidebt
04-29-2003, 11:24 PM
"Out/Over yonder"

"Well..." (pronounced "whale" and drawn out, as in "whaaaaale") this is the preface to 90% of any given comment by any given person in any given conversation.

"Alrighty" and "Alrighty then"

and just for fun:

"It's hotter'n two weasels f*cking in a wool sock." :D

Super Gnat
04-30-2003, 01:20 AM
"back in the day" (in the past)

My grandparents used to say "I reckon", and my grandfather told different stories about "haints" (ghosts/supernatural beings).

Mama Tiger
04-30-2003, 01:29 AM
"I'm going to carry him to the store." (I'm going to give him a ride.)

Fuller 'n a tick. (after a big meal.)

Down the road a fur piece. (You know, over yonder.)

And "Bless her little heart" goes after ANYTHING. You can say the worst thing in the world about someone and as long as you bless her little heart afterwards, it's not an insult. Gotta love it.

Ephemera
04-30-2003, 02:28 AM
I've lived in the South my whole life and I wouldn't be caught dead uttering 95% of the phrases in this thread. Gah. :eek:

By the way, when did "back in the day" become a Southern thing? I picked that up online.

Bruce_Daddy
04-30-2003, 05:54 AM
Hosepipe.
Kindly. (please, as in, 'Will you kindly get the hell off my land!')
Sharp as a baseball.
Whistlin' Dixie (lying)
Cornpone! (bullshit!)
Good eatin' (tasty)

LowerLip
04-30-2003, 06:37 AM
As Bruce_Daddy said it: 'Sharp as a baseball'.

That one just tickeled me sideways.

LL

Cisco
04-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Oh "Aight now" means goodbye.

And yes, "_______ as hell" is a Southern thing. Trust me on this one ;).

Adoptamom_II
04-30-2003, 07:31 AM
She/He ain't got the sense God gave fleas

I used 'ta could do cartwheels

Davebear
04-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Welcome aboard, she's come undone. Love the username. And, the song, assuming that's where it came from. Can I give you a hand with that zipper. ;)

My fave is "slicker'n snake snot". But, I also like "crazier'n bat sh!t". And, Mariemarie's "butter my butt, and call me a biscuit" is a riot.

LouisB
04-30-2003, 08:03 AM
Threats from one Texan to another:

I'm gonna git on you like white on rice.
I'm gonna git on you like a duck on a June bug.

The Stafford Cripps
04-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Eebagoom! is supposed to be a quintissentially Lancashire / Yorkshire saying.

What?

Oh, shit, sorry. I thought you meant south from here:)

Bruce_Daddy
04-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Oh "Aight now" means goodbye.

It can also mean you've got one more chance to stop:

(Idiot bumps into Bruce on the dance (pronounced "daince") floor)
Bruce: "Hey man, watch out."
(Idiot does it again)
Bruce: "Aight now!"
(One more time)
Bruce: BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM!!!!!!

Oh, and if you want to discretely ask somebody how their 'shine still is doing, you ask them if they have carried a 100 lb bag of sugar through the woods lately. Yes, I know 2 or 3 people that still make their own 'shine, and no, you can't have any.

Sister Vigilante
04-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Sharper than a bowling ball is more funny. Also, he's about as dumb as a box of hammers/rocks.

Sigogglin - means crooked or tilted, generally unbalanced. I assume it's short for side-goggling. Note, this is a totally hillbilly word, and I'm usually the only one who knows it on any particular occasion where this subject comes up.

Also, we can be right (very) mad, or just a might (little) peeved.

They oughta take him out back (and shoot him / put him out of his misery).

Ima go to the store. (I'm going to go to the store.) Note: I've seen this written by people I know to be living in the UK, so it might not be as Southern as I once thought it to be.

I ain't got no (don't have any) money/time/etc.

I ain't studyin' you.

Don't pay me no mind.

GrizzRich
04-30-2003, 11:26 AM
"Buggy" - The wheeled cart in which one deposits groceries while shopping.

"Good People" - Used to describe one who will come to your aid, is trustworthy, or generally a nice all-around individual. This is a singular phrase, not a plural one. As in "George Thatchberry? He's good people!"

"Fambly" - Your relatives.

"Seb'm Leb'm" - A convenience store that was originally named for the hours it was open.

"Play Pretty" - Term that should identify a toy; but in actual use only identifies what a toy is NOT. As in "JimBob! Don't touch your Grandma's glass unicorn collection! That ain't no play-pretty!"

"Football" or "Spring Football" - The only two acceptable answers to the question "What sport do you play, boy?"

Oh my God. I could do this ALL DAY!!

Duke of Rat
04-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Well le's see..

Dryer'n a popcorn fart..

Hornier'n a 2 peckered billy goat..

Raining like a cow pissin' on a flat rock.

He's so tight he has ta screw his hat on.. (Frugal)

Stubborn as a Gubmit mule..

Hotter'n a two dollar pistol..

Cuter'n a bugs titty..

Went out back to take a sh!t and the hogs ate em.. (Haven't been seen for a while).

Rode hard an' put up wet.

I can't imagine somebody from Canada actually using any of these...maybe like a English/Redneck dictonary.

And everybody North of your present location is a Yankee. It don't mean squat if'n they's jes a litty bit North..they's yankees.

Paul in Qatar
04-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Dark as the inside of a cow.

Cold as the bottom of a well.

Fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

(also "branch" for a creek)

Rough as a cob.

unwashed brain
04-30-2003, 02:46 PM
This guy I know was describing his old Honda Civic, shook his head and siad "that thing couldn't pull a greasy string out of a sick cat's ass."

Describing a larger woman's jiggling buttocks who was walking in front of us wearing spandex pants that were waaaaay too tight, the same guy said, "My God! It looks like two pigs wrastlin' under a garbage bag!"

/\/\etalhea|)
04-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Stonebow
'colder than a witch's tit'

FWIW, Having been married to a witch, I can testify that her breasts were normal temperature.

Of couse, she was meaner than a striped-assed snake, and having gained a massive amount of weight since she left, she is now uglier than an empty glass of buttermilk.

Clint in Wichita
04-30-2003, 04:17 PM
One good thing about the south, IMO, is the fact that you can go into almost any eating eastablishment and order sweet tea. If you order sweet tea North of the Mason-Dixon line, you get a funny look and a comment like, "There's sugar on the table."

I actually like grits, too, but I think of Flo every time I eat them.

shrew
04-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by unwashed brain
"My God! It looks like two pigs wrastlin' under a garbage bag!"

I think this is a variation of "Looks like two pigs fightin' under a blanket," a phrase made famous by the film Steel Magnolias.

This thread is making me homesick for good ol' Georgia...it's been 8 1/2 long rainy months without the Georgia sunshine and somebody to offer me a glass of sweet tea. Interestingly, one does need to differentiate in southern restaurants now as to whether you want sweet or unsweet tea, due to all of the diabetics and health nuts. Just ain't the same, I tell ya.

I have to reiterate the "Bless his/her heart" comment. My friends used to say that it was code for "He's an idiot," as in, "That boy fell out of the back of the pick-up and broke his arm. Bless his heart."

I have to admit that quite a few of these sayings apply to me. I say:
might could have
fixin' to
I ain't studyin' 'bout you.
aight
over yonder
He needs kil't.
That boy needs a whippin'.
Alrighty and Alrighty then
Don't pay me no mind.
It don't make no nevermind to me.

Oh, the fun linguistic quirks of the South.

Dolores Reborn
04-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Even a blind squirrel (or hog) can find an acorn if it roots around in the ground long enough. (getting lucky)

Nigh on 15 year. (almost 15 years)

Drunker'n Cooter Brown.

All sodas are called Coke. "What kinda Coke you want?"

roadrunner70
04-30-2003, 04:55 PM
"It's rainin' like a double-cunted cow pissing on a flat rock."

"It's hotter'n camel cock on a cinder block."

"He's richer than 3 feet up a bulls ass."

"I'm hornier than a 5 balled tomcat."

Slainte
04-30-2003, 05:51 PM

Similarly:

_________ as all get-out.

"Mean as all get-out" "Sexy as all get-out" "Crazy as all get-out" etc.

My co-worker (who was born & raised in the South) says it all the time. It's become part of my vocabulary.

she's come undone
04-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Y'all are awesome as all get-out! Thanks a bunch, this is so much fun!

Davebear, name's from the song and a book I'm fond of actually...

DeVena
04-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Ok this here's a little ditty my aint sung to me as a baby.

Listen Listen - the cat's a pissin'
Where Where - under the chair.
Hasten Jason and fetch the basin.
Whoops too late. Grab a mop.

Don't right know if it's Su'thern, but I like it!

Skillet38
04-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Shes come undone

if you want to really submerge yourself in the vernacular of the South, I'd suggest the route of literature, as the pickings are sweeter than a summer time cane patch.

Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a treasure trove of colloquialisms, as is "Cold Sassy Tree"..... the list could go on and on, and I don't mean to start another thread on good southern lit, but it could be a great resource for you. Especially as you live in the arctic circle.
;)

Davebear
04-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by she's come undone
Davebear, name's from the song and a book I'm fond of actually... Not to hijack the thread too much, but is the book about the band?

Ringo
04-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Up to my elbows in alligators (busy).

Crazier than a shithouse rat.

Maybe I fell off the melon truck, but it wasn't this morning (skepticism).

Now we're shittin' in high cotton (everything's OK).

she's come undone
04-30-2003, 09:14 PM
LOL, no actually, it's about a young woman who becomes mentally undone, in a nutshell. Author is Wally Lamb, if you're interested in anything besides the band! ;)

Evil Captor
04-30-2003, 09:43 PM
When I got out of line, my father used to say, "I'll larrup you a windin'!" (He never did larrup me a windin', but he certainly had reason to want to from time to time.)

My grandfather used to confuse me by referring to me as "stout." I was a skinny kid. But what he actually meant was "strong." He also asked me to "tote" things when he meant "carry."

I'm sure there's a ton of other stuff I've heard over the years from my older relatives, but I don't remember them right now.

Davebear
04-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by she's come undone
... if you're interested in anything besides the band! ;) :D You are new, here, aren't you? LOL!

Sorry. I'm making fun of myself, not you. People often ask me if I'm interested in anything else, but they aren't talking about the Guess Who.

moi
04-30-2003, 10:25 PM
Yay, no one has offered up this one yet! she's come undone, this one comes to you courtesy of Florida, a Southern state inundated with folk from Canada, New York, Michigan and elsewhere (a.k.a. "snow birds"). The mess of 'em makes the locals say things like:

Just 'cos your cat had some kittens in the oven don't make 'em biscuits. :D

kniz
04-30-2003, 11:56 PM
:D I'm proud to say that we don't use such expressions in Mississippi.

Davebear
05-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by kniz
:D I'm proud to say that we don't use such expressions in Mississippi. That's jes cuz y'all ain't edjumicated enuff. ;)

An Arky
05-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Flatter 'n a plate of piss - used to describe featureless terrain

Drop edge of yonder - a condition similar to sick as a dog

Fair to middlin' - response to How you doing?

Sister Vigilante
05-01-2003, 08:39 AM
All sodas are called Coke. "What kinda Coke you want?"I must protest this. I have lived in Georgia all my life and never, ever once heard this. We know that Coke is Coke and that all other sodas are different. If someone asks you if you want a Coke, it's probably because that's all they have in the fridge (aside from the sweet tea, that is).

More:

It don't differ. Usually pronounced "Hit" don't differ. Means "It doesn't make any difference."

Month of Sundays. Means a long time. "I ain't seen you in a month of Sundays!"

Also, victuals is pronounced vittles and means food. "Them's good vittles."

Mariemarie
05-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Be careful of the second-person-plural thing. If you say YOU it means you-singular. Y'all is plural. Other useful constructions are: "all of y'all" and "y'all's" (your). Someone who says "you all" is trying to sound proper.

Every North Carolinian uses the following words--

summers = somewhere
young 'un = young one, child
beegun = big one
littlun = little one
cussing: dad burn it!

Dolores Reborn
05-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Jean Grey
I must protest this. I have lived in Georgia all my life and never, ever once heard this. We know that Coke is Coke and that all other sodas are different. If someone asks you if you want a Coke, it's probably because that's all they have in the fridge (aside from the sweet tea, that is).

I hear it here in Texas all the time! Maybe it's regional. :D

I love this thread.

One more: Running like his ass was on fire and his hair was a'ketchin'... (running fast)

plnnr
05-01-2003, 09:31 AM
D'jeet? (Did you eat?)
Naw, d'jew (No, did you?)

Nichol_storm
05-01-2003, 09:48 AM
One my mama used to use on me all the time: "Girl, you could worry the horns off a god-damn billy goat!"

She also used to tell me that something was "over yonder". This perplexed me. "Where's yonder?" I'd ask. "Is it North, South, East, West, up, or down?"

I do tote things, and any group of two or more people is "y'all".

.:Nichol:.

Stellablue
05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
These may be real old be here goes -

Store bought - as opposed to home made

book learning - learned in school

trash - meaning people, not what is in the garbage can

public works - not the city departments but working in the public arena as opposed to working at home or on the farm. My sister works public works. She works in a store. My mother does not have a "job" but no one says she does not "work" as she runs the house and farm.

The War = The War Between the States or Civil War unless otherwise noted

Duke of Rat
05-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Mariemarie
Be careful of the second-person-plural thing. If you say YOU it means you-singular. Y'all is plural. Other useful constructions are: "all of y'all" and "y'all's" (your). Someone who says "you all" is trying to sound proper.

You got that right, Mariemarie..I can't stand it when yankees (or in the movies) somebody says "y'all" to a single person. And "you all" is just as bad. Ya is the singular roun cheer (around here), and y'all is a group.

"How ya doin'?" "I'm right perky! I seen y'all get off'n the bus...y'all from roun cheer?"

Nothing worse than poseur rednecks IMHO.

Jack Ketch
05-01-2003, 10:40 AM
A great source for this stuff is the Dictionary of American Regional English (D.A.R.E.) It's not just for the South. You can find it here http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dare/dare.html

Unfortunately, you can't look words up online. But, they have some interesting audio files.

Bruce_Daddy
05-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Stellablue

The War = The War Between the States or Civil War unless otherwise noted

Uhhh, that would be the War of Northern Aggression. :)

I still call yankees down here "carpet baggers". As a joke. Mostly.

romansperson
05-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Here's a new one I just heard:

"She's as ugly as ten miles of bad road."

And I did once meet a Southern lady who referred to the Civil War as "The Early Unpleasantness."

Pablito
05-01-2003, 12:01 PM
"He was busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest"

"I'm going to see a man about a dog" (take a piss)

Here's something I had explained to me the other day:
"Know how to find a possum if you really need to? Kick in the side of a dead cow and one will crawl out. A possum's nuthin' but a walkin' buzzard."

shrew
05-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Jean Grey
I must protest this. I have lived in Georgia all my life and never, ever once heard this. We know that Coke is Coke and that all other sodas are different. If someone asks you if you want a Coke, it's probably because that's all they have in the fridge (aside from the sweet tea, that is).

I must protest your protest. :) I've lived in Georgia all my life with the recent exception of the last 8 months. When my mother offers someone a Coke, and they accept, she'll then say, "We have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Dr. Pepper. Which one, sugah?" It's not that we don't know the difference as you stated, it's just a semantic thing. It's like saying "the store". If my mother asked me to go to the store, I'd then have to ask her to which one she wished me to go. And trust me, it matters.

To add a few terms of endearment, I do indeed call people (and especially my students) sugah, baby, darlin', pet, and honey.

Sister Vigilante
05-01-2003, 12:48 PM
That's funny. :) I very rarely hear anyone called Sugah, although I have been called Darlin' before.

And "the store" is always the grocery store, to me. ;)

rsa
05-01-2003, 01:00 PM
This thread takes me back to when I was knee high to a grasshopper. :)

rsa
05-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Not anything people would use in general, but I always loved the Atlanta Journal's motto: Covers Dixie like the Dew.

DarbyV
05-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Tow-headed=very blond

Mainly children but I have known some tow-headed adults

hoosecow=jail

I have no idea why

Nichol_storm
05-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by rsa
Not anything people would use in general, but I always loved the Atlanta Journal's motto: Covers Dixie like the Dew.

Shouldn't that be Covers Dixie like the Kudzu? :D

When I was younger, my mother used to tell me that if I wasn't a good girl, that the kudzu would grow through my window at night and suck out my brain. That usually got me to mind for about ten minutes before I forgot. ;)

.:Nichol:.

thatDDperson
05-02-2003, 01:57 AM
A taco short of a combination plate.
OR
A couple nanners shy of a puddin'.

Tighter'n a frog's butt, an' that's waterproof.

Such a pretty face=she's fat.
Such a good (or sweet) personality=she's homely.
Such a sunny disposition=she's dumber than a bag of hair.
All should properly be followed by "Bless her heart."

Texanisms...All hat an' no cattle. (Pretty self-explanatory.)
He done wore his spurs to church again. (Acted inappropriately, usually while drinkin')

And the best advice my Grandmother ever gave: Jist 'cause you're used to the smell, don't think your shit don't stink. (Translation; Not everbody is gonna agree with you, so don't be so damned sure you're right.)

Also, there is an occasion known as "a come-to-Jesus-meetin". This is when somebody tells you 'zakly what they mean for you to know or do, and you'd best be heedin' what they say.

burundi
05-02-2003, 05:04 PM
she's come undone, where is your friend moving to in North Carolina? It's a great place--I wouldn't live anywhere else. (Okay, maybe my own tropical island. Maybe.)

Tell her to look out for:
- Barbecue and hush puppies. It can't be beat. New York has its pizza; South Carolina has its low-country cooking; this is our culinary claim to fame.
- Cheerwine. It's a cherry-flavored cola that's only made around here. I used to suck it down by the gallon.
- Rabid basketball fans. Football might rule in Texas, but here it's basketball all the way.
- Rabid NASCAR fans. I don't get it either.
- The most beautiful spring seasons you'll ever see

Folks will call her "ma'am" and "honey." Tell her not to pay them no nevermind--they're just being friendly.

Stellablue
05-02-2003, 05:47 PM
romansperson-
Here in Charleston the war is called - The late unpleasantness with the yankees.
And just an interesting note on how many people get the wars mixed up, I overheard this on a boat in Charleston Harbor.
"Look out there. That is Fort Summer where that guy wrote the Star Spangled Banner."
Oh Lordy! :(

thatDDperson
05-03-2003, 12:57 AM
Cheerwine!!

My outlaws love that stuff.

That may be why they moved back to Buies Creek.

It is strange tasting stuff, but oddly addictive.

Liz
05-03-2003, 07:32 AM
I'll state some of the more obvious ones I grew up with.

"Lawd have mercy." (Amen.)

"You don't hate 'em, you hate their ways!" (No, I hate 'em.)

"Didja know that?" (No, fucker, I didn't. Thanks for telling me.)

"Stop by and see me, now." (Verbal answer: Of course I will, shugah! Mental answer: Not if you paid me, biatch.)

"I reckon she's a right nice girl." (You reckon?)

"I can NOT believe she's laid up with some man and them not even married!" (Lawd!)

"The child just ain't right. I don't know what it is, but he just ain't right." (Oh, he's fine. He's just a lil' slow.)

Memories, lawd, memories.

Best Topics: sudafed adhd condom reservoir katrina guns looney tunes songs cat's tail vibrating muscle mary fbi consultant retiring in england confessional movie schoolyard songs sucking penis pronunciation of ng predator governors sexually active definition keen shoe repair idren definition freeway cave is zika capitalized paneling adhesive handicapped motorcycle squiggle character aquabeads instructions pencil riddle was graduated army or navy salting of carthage nancy reagan head 6x9=42 inside out oreos frances conroy stroke david letterman jewish hot ready original floor plans for my house highest paved road in us what kind of oil for popcorn is popular science a reliable source how to pack a pack of cigarettes women who love dp lyrics come on eileen meaning nitrous oxide tank for sale why is africa so primitive what goes good with cornbread how many teats does a deer have is the iron cross offensive leather watch strap smells engine idle surges up and down how to get bruce lee lats wireless intercoms for elderly how to put my cat to sleep blood pressure cuff pain greta van susteren bell's palsy howard hughes juan trippe pre med students are annoying do all primates have opposable thumbs return address without name best neverwinter nights 2 modules mama had a baby and the head popped off why were blood tests required before marriage earwax falling out of ear how long to get a social security card replaced statute of limitations on bench warrants big lips blow jobs how to come to a stop in a manual how did robert urich die where are archived orders in amazon why would i receive certified mail crank window ac unit