PDA

View Full Version : How much Advil can I take ?

dragongirl
05-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm in PAIN !

I've got a toothache that just won't quit. I called every dentist in the phonebook, but since it's Saturday, I'm out of luck.

But, I'm in PAIN !

I tried Anbesol, Oragel, a shot of whiskey, rum, I rubbed ice between my finger and thumb, used an ice pack and almost everything else I can think of. I took 4 Advils, 200mg each, but I'm still hurting really bad.

Will it hurt me to take more ?

Duck Duck Goose
05-10-2003, 02:26 PM
My bottle of Advil (ibuprofen 200 mg) says "Do not exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours, unless directed by a doctor".

Symptoms of overdose.
http://nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002655.htm

Lsura
05-10-2003, 02:29 PM
How long ago did you take the advil? Has there been time for it to kick in?

If not, then wait and see what happens before you take any more.

IANAD, btw.

Rusalka
05-10-2003, 02:32 PM
If 4 advils aren't helping at all, taking more won't help. If it's that bad, I would go to another town and find a dentist... there's gotta be someone who is open. If you have an inflamed nerve, waiting is not a good idea - it could turn into an abscess and you might lose the tooth (although I don't know the time frame for this or how long you've been waiting). Call your local hospital for advice as a last resort. Let us know what happens.

I had to have an emergency root canal, and the pain beforehand was pretty bad.

Gary T
05-10-2003, 02:56 PM
I was once advised by my doctor to take 4 tablets at a time, rather than the standard 2 at a time. The interval between doses was not changed. He first asked me if I had a cast iron stomach. I would agree with Rusalka not to take more than 4 per dose.

Oil of cloves, applied directly to the tooth/gum, is often effective in reducing tooth pain. Grocery stores usually have it with the spices and cooking extracts.

dragongirl
05-10-2003, 02:58 PM
I took the advil about 1 1/2 hours ago. I hasn't worked and this tooth hurts so much, I don't really care if they want to pull the tooth.

We called every dentist in the area. After this we'd need to go out of state.

We called the hospital too, but they told me that they couldn't do anything either.

Duck Duck Goose
05-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Is it just the tooth, or is it all the way up the side of your face? If it's more than the tooth, it may be an abscess, and IMO you would be perfectly justified in calling a dentist at home on a beautiful Saturday afternoon--you can get blood poisoning from an abscessed tooth.

http://dental--health.com/paingum_mouth4.html
Question:
My entire right side of my mouth including tongue and going up to my ear is throbbing... What can I do to stop it? I have taken motrin 600 and gargled with salt water and it is still hurting.

Answer:
Sounds like you have an acute pulpitis or abscessing tooth. The nerve is reacting by signaling this pain to you so that you will without delay locate and proceed to a dentist who can help you. This type of problem should not be ignored - it will, without fail, only get worse.--or an endodontist.

http://aae.org/newstoothpain.html
Donít suffer in silence if you do develop a severe toothache at an inopportune time. Endodontists provide emergency care and will often see patients in pain on short notice. Often they can assess the situation by phone and prescribe medication to control the pain until treatment can be provided. So, find an endodontist?

Whiskey-Hotel
05-10-2003, 03:59 PM
When I had shingles the doctor said that I could take 800mg (four 200mg tablets) of Advil every four hours for the pain. She said that was the max safe dosage.

JillGat
05-10-2003, 04:06 PM
You should ask a pharmacist when you have questions like this. 800mg of ibuprofen is probably not going to help a toothache that much, and if you take it on an empty stomach or in repeated doses, you're likely to get stomach cramps. I can't believe there is not an emergency dentist available in your town? You don't get a recording with an emergency number to call when you call your dentist?

dreamer
05-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Do any of the dentists have a phone number you can call for emergencies? I know if my dentist is not in I can page him if it's an emergency.

Hope you get help soon.

vanilla
05-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Years ago, during some horrid cramps, I took 8.
Well, first I took 2. Didn't work.
Then took 2 more.
Also not work.
Waited half hour. 2 more.
Didn't work.
Finally 2 more did the trick.

vanilla, waiitng impatientally for menopause.

Eva Luna
05-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Talk to a pharmacist. Advil can be murder on your stomach and your liver in excessive doses. To minimize the side effects, IIRC you should not take it on an empty stomach or with alcohol.

(Warning: IANA medical professional of any kind, but I have sometimes quite wicked ankle pain, and this is what my doc told me. I am otherwise a basically healthy person, so if you have other issues, particularly liver or kidney or gastrointestinal issues, your situation is different. When I last had a bad ankle problem and it was going to be a few days before I could get in to the doc, his nurse told me 600-8000 mg every 6 hours would be OK for a couple of days, but not for any kind of extended period.)

I've also heard the thing about clove oil, BTW. I had the bad luck to get an impacted wisdom tooth in Russia in 1989, when there were no drugs of any kind and a huge shortage of clean/disposable medical instruments. It was NOT a fun experience. If you think it might be an impacted wisdom tooth or abcess, it might help to rinse your mouth with saltwater or a dilute peroxide solution to clean it out and disinfect it. Good luck!

Rusalka
05-10-2003, 06:27 PM
You need to go to a dentist right away. Call someone out of state if you have to, even to get advice. This could be quite serious if it hurts that much. This is nothing to fool around with. If you let it go, (if it's an abscess) you could lose more than one tooth, or even worse. I'm not kidding.

Please let us know what happens.

StarvingButStrong
05-10-2003, 07:21 PM
When I had a bad flareup of sciatica, my doctor had me taking the maximum dosage of Advil AND tylenol, offsetting them by two hours. Like, 2 Advil at 8 pm, 2 Tylenol at 10 pm, 2 Advil at 12 pm and so on.

That way you have twice as much painkiller in you, but not an overdose of one kind. Plus that way one type is always in full strength instead of almost cleared out of your system.

If you don't have a problem with Tylenol, maybe you could try that. But not if you're drinking, of course!

And, even if it works, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get to the dentist ASAP.

dragongirl
05-10-2003, 07:50 PM
We live in very rural area, and I've only reached one dentist who had an answering service. He never called back.

I'm out of my fucking head with pain.

JillGat
05-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Go To The Emergency Room. Jeez.

Eva Luna: [[his nurse told me 600-8000 mg every 6 hours would be OK for a couple of days, but not for any kind of extended period.)]]

I'm sure she meant 600-800 mg, not 8000.

Vanilla, you were overdosing. Ibuprofin takes a bit of time to work (longer than aspirin, but more effective for cramps), but you should never take more than 800 mg. at a time.

Beagle
05-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Buy some of that lidocane or benzocane (Anbesol (http://anbesol.com/) is one of them) stuff and rub it all over the area. Sometimes it really helps. I just had my first few root canals. :eek:

Beagle
05-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Unless of course you already tried that.

I swear I'll read every paragraph before responding. I swear I'll read every paragraph before responding. I swear I'll read every paragraph before responding. I swear I'll read every paragraph before responding. I swear I'll read every paragraph before responding. :smack:

Eva Luna
05-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by JillGat

I'm sure she meant [b]600-800 mg, not 8000.

Ummm, yep. I plead sleep deprivation! Don't take 8,000 mg! That would be like half the bottle!

look!ninjas
05-10-2003, 08:53 PM
I've taken up to 800 mg of ibuprofen at a time for pain, but no more. I probably wouldn't advise it. Have you tried heat? Not super hot, but soothingly warm. Worst case scenario, I'd go to the ER. It seems to me that if you're on their doorstep, they should do something about it.

Incidentally, ibuprofen can also do a number on your esophagus if you take it regularly without eating first. So get something in your stomach before you take more.

Zydoll
05-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Wow, I JUST had the exact same problem- my tooth started killing me for no explainable reason- I finally went to the dentist and found out I needed a root canal (and was prescribed some vicodin- which REALLY did the trick) (until it made me vomit and pass out that is). SO, I had to go back to taking aleve- my dentist told me that I could take as many as needed, as long as I didn't exceed 1,000 milligrams a day. (I think thats what he said) Well, I remember taking about ten for a few days with no problems- but I really don't know if I'd recommend that much. And like a few people have said- it does take awhile to kick in, so be patient. Just go see the dentist. Hope you feel better! (the pain is a bitch, isn't it? :)

ronbo
05-10-2003, 10:13 PM
800 mg of ibuprophen is the prescription strength of ibuprophen. That is considered about as strong as Tylenol with codeine. Do not take more than that.

If you take 4 (200 mg.) over the counter ibuprophen, you are taking prescription strength.

If you take 4 asprin or 4 Tylenol (acetominiphen), you are taking an overdose and could damage something.

See your Dr. ASAP.

Badge
05-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Just as an aside, and I am no way advocating anyone else doing something this foolish, but my wife regularly takes 1,600 mg (yes, eight 200 mg pills) of ibuprofen at a time, sometimes twice a day. She claims to suffer no ill effects, and refuses to listen to my concerns.

I expect her liver to explode any day now. :rolleyes:

Dr_Paprika
05-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) is a good pain killer, often as effective as codiene. But if you need to take more than six tablets a day, it's time to try something stronger, even though ibuprofen is not as toxic as acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose. In my emergency department, I would not give more than two 200mg tablets at once. In Canada, 800mg is DOUBLE usual "prescription strength".
That being said, a toxic dose might be something like 200mg/kg. Taking a few extra pills for one day won't usually kill you, but it probably wouldn't offer any additional relief beyond six tablets either

I would suggest you visit an emergency room. For tooth pain, the doctor will likely add codiene or oxycodone and acetaminophen. If the recommended dose of a medicine doesn't work, it is unwise to take more, even though this occasionally does help.

I find ibuprofen tends to be more toxic to the kidney than the liver. It can also raise blood pressure and cause internal bleeding; and at higher doses these complications occur more often.

miatachris
05-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Max dose of ibuprofen is 800mg 4 times daily.

I wouldn't take that dose over long periods of time without a doctor's approval.

miatachris, R. Ph.

Best Topics: mein fraulein solar automobile fan chanda lear yogurt antibiotic bx medical abbreviation dipshit origin got refill llc rimshot slang home donut maker roaches in hotel certified letter irs 04 jetta 1.8t arsenic buy 130 proof acid for drains cfmp shoes parking dividers prussia name punishments of slavery softpack of newports submarine implosion video can polyester stretch paiste pronunciation granite carving cloth towel dispenser bonnie wauck bailey bottles pink panther smoking hand without fingernails mongrel coy 2 coffee filters microsoft word notepad apollo by the bay are all barber shops closed on monday my kitten wont eat or drink using e85 in regular engine is crap a bad word? should i cover my license plate in pictures knights of columbus initiation how many calories in a whole dill pickle digital projectors for powerpoint presentations how to use percent button on calculator she's always a woman meaning two dollar bill with red ink black cat getting white hairs deadliest warrior ira vs. taliban long polish last names bread machine box mixes bryant hodges and associates does barnes and noble buy back books pablo neruda how i met your mother authentic shrunken head for sale bank of america signature guarantee cost to replace main breaker just lunch dating service reviews meals for camping without cooking word for million years how to get a street address assigned feeling of being lifted while sleeping does target do electronic checks i failed my driving test 3 times when does usaa pay dividends auto cooler solar fan aye aye aye rock song 2002 honda civic overheating while driving