PDA

View Full Version : Doctors : What would you appreciate?

Essured
05-28-2003, 01:47 AM
I want to thank my doctor. I have profusely thanked him, verbally, but would like to do more.

I initially had the idea of sending a basket full of goodies (chocolate, etc) to his office. Then I thought about doing that once a year, as an ongoing appreciation of what he has done for me. My husband thinks this sounds 'stalkerish', so I'm rethinking that one. I know little about him, so wouldn't have a clue whether a fruit basket, chocolates, flowers, golf balls, etc would be most appreciated.

So I turn to you, doctors of the SD. How would you like to be thanked, if you'd gone above and beyond for a patient ? What have you received in the past, and how did it make you feel ? What would be the best way to show my appreciation and extreme gratefulness ?

Necromancer
05-28-2003, 02:23 AM
How about giving your doctor a gift basket from somewhere like David Jones...they have wine packs, coffee/tea and chocolate baskets and gourmet food hampers.
Even though it's not expected, I really appreciate it when someone is thoughtful and buys a gift to say thank you. The few times I've received a thank you gift, I've been given chocolates, bottles of red wine, a basket with tea and jams and a hamper with Australian olive oils and sauces.

Catfood Purrito
05-28-2003, 04:22 AM
I used to be a secretary for several different doctors, and I know other secretaries, and it's not at all unusual for them to receive gifts from patients. Most of them had patients who would send them something every Christmas, it's definitely not creepy. Stuff like chocolates, flowers, wine, fruit baskets, lots of baked goods. The doctor a friend of mine works for has a patient who sends her (as well as the doctor) very expensive gifts every Christmas. Last year she received a very beautiful bracelet. I think that's a little weird, though.

A gift certificate and thank you card may be the way to go if you don't know anything about the doctor's likes and dislikes. If it's a nonprofit facility, you could consider a donation too.

Loneraven
05-28-2003, 07:09 AM
If you want to send something every year, it's not creepy. My parents are doctors and they do get things at Christmas from patients they treated a long time ago. As long as you keep it simple - the ideas in the OP are fine (apart from the golf balls!) - anything will be appreciated.

One point - I don't know if it's the case with all doctors, but when my parents are given something like a fruit basket or a big box of chocolates, they tend to share them out with all the other staff, such as the nurses and the technicians, who rarely if ever receive gifts of their own.

Whatever you do, you're doing a good thing.

Snooooopy
05-28-2003, 07:21 AM
I saw this Web site in "Discover" magazine -- iawareables.com. They sell various textiles printed with blown-up pictures of disease-carrying organisms. And what doctor could resist a tie with Ebola on it? Or boxer shorts with gonorrhea on them?

SnoopyFan
05-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Can you do counted cross-stitch? If you can, why not make him something cool to put in his office?

I say this b/c gifts that are made always mean more. Plus this is a doctor we're talking about here ... and yes, I know that not ALL doctors are rich, but chances are this guy isn't lacking anything. Plus most of them are extremely busy and probably wouldn't have the chance to enjoy any cool book you gave them. (From my experiences in working with both, doctors and lawyers tend to not read for pleasure anyway because they have to read SO MUCH in their work.)

At any rate, give him something that will LAST. Something he can look at from time to time and go, "Oh, Goo gave me that, what a great patient." Flowers and chocolate are great but they're quickly gone.

This is not stalkerish at all. I think it's a great idea. I'd do the same if I had a doctor that I had to go see a lot.

irishgirl
05-28-2003, 12:40 PM
One of my mother's patients gave her a whole salmon and 50 frozen crab claws.

You might want to try something else.

Peg
05-28-2003, 05:26 PM
My dad would like it if you would help pay off Brother, MD's student loans...

Seriously, sending gifts is not stalkerish at all, unless the gifts themselves are freaky. I think it speaks volumes about you and your doctor. Since you don't know much about your doc, gift baskets are always nice and something that the office will likely share in. You could call up his secretary and ask for suggestions. If he has a favorite cause, you could donate money in his name, or renew a magazine subscription. Generalising here, but since you doc is a dude, I wouldn't send flowers.

Re: SnoopyFan's comment -- my brother's a doc and I'm a lawyer (yes, geek family alert) and we both read like crazy for fun. As you can probably guess, we have poor eyesight.

monica
05-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Speaking on behalf of my doctor father:
He was really upset last night, and just lately in general, because hardly anyone appreciates the ER docs. Sure, some people say nice stuff, but mostly, he gets way more complaints. People try to sue over everything they can. Basically what you want to do here is make the doctor feel appreciated. First of all, if he has a boss, and the boss is within hearing distance, definately tell the doctor how wonderful he is. In fact, do so even if the boss isn't around. Also, make sure that with whatever you send the doctor, write a nice, handwritten note just telling him how appreciative you are of what he did. It's the little things that make them smile and feel good.

Dr_Paprika
05-28-2003, 09:35 PM
The ER docs certainly get a few complainers, but I've been lucky enough to receive more praise than brickbats. I really appreciate the handwritten notes and cards. Don't spend a lot of money on the gift, don't give cheap white wine and if you give food, give something the doctor can share with others since chocolates make us fat.

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Paprika
give something the doctor can share with others since chocolates make us fat.
Chocolate doesn't make me fat! I'm already fat!

Cards are nice. Candy, which we can share with our staff, is too. No flowers, please. Too many people with allergies around. Keep it simple, and inexpensive.

Just plain old thanks works wonders, too. Especially if you also tell our corporate/civil masters how great we are!

Rabid_Squirrel
05-28-2003, 11:06 PM
Things my parents got from patients:

Rabid_Squirrel
05-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Bugger, mouse slipped, sorry. Various things my parents got from patients as thank yous over the past few years in a rural practice:

- Baked Goods
- Bottle of wine
- Bloody good bottle of wiskey
- Smoked trout
- Crayfish
- Big bag of (normal) mushrooms
- Chestnuts
- A carved wooden bowl
- Oysters
- Snapper

Trust me, like everone else, doctors (and their families!) like freebies.

tiggeril
05-28-2003, 11:19 PM
My dad is a family practitioner and one of the gifts I'll always remember getting from a patient was a little handmade wooden bench (the patient was a carpenter) with three teddy bears sitting on it. The patient's wife knitted little Chicago Bears sweater and hats for the bears.

They're still sitting by our fireplace over a decade later. :)

Aranea
05-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Snooooopy
I saw this Web site in "Discover" magazine -- iawareables.com. They sell various textiles printed with blown-up pictures of disease-carrying organisms. And what doctor could resist a tie with Ebola on it? Or boxer shorts with gonorrhea on them?

Infinitely preferably to the boxer shorts with gonorrhea IN them.

Best Topics: scorpion country gay oedipus complex paper veneer eating raw jalapenos coffee fiber who makes comfortmaker air ionizer fan wizard vs sorcerer pinning butterfly cheers finale everything's jake meaning club bartending iyengar pronunciation italian madone hand cycle machine glasses numbers american sport bikes refrigerator decibels two drummer bands quarter currency amoxicillin colitis your permanent record pronounce cthulhu hot stubble prescribed motrin tinnitus concert snorting caffine pills walter payton steroids payes jewish superduper windows usaa parking hypnotism for phobias los portales translation tube tv donations check memo pathfinder magic rings long pinky finger how much does halibut cost cherry fruit tree in bloom how to uncock a revolver ellie creed pet sematary signature confirmation vs insurance in 1999, what percentage of 4-year-old toddlers were not yet toilet trained? how to fatten up your cat who sang can t live road sign no hm john deere la115 manual surrender cheap trick meaning how many servings of alcohol in a bottle of wine use satellite dish for hdtv antenna how do you say you are welcome in japanese thank you your holiness awesome speech exercise makes me tired safe sex get paid worst stephen king book amazon.com amzn.com/bi superboy prime punches reality why did gus kill victor in breaking bad who is coach t camry commercial removing cat urine from wood furniture no shoes no shirt no dice elbow elbow wrist wrist wave actor john mahoney married pick up packages from usps how to take apart a box spring how many lakes are there in minnesota onwards and upwards latin