PDA

View Full Version : Origin, history, and decline of the "Jughead Hat"

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
06-04-2003, 08:41 AM
When I was about seven years of age, I used to enjoy reading Archie comics, the reason being that at that age anything to do with teenagers was cool because they were big enough to drive, go out on their own, and everything. But I always wondered why Jughead wore a "crown".

At some later point in life I realized that boys used to wear these soft hats that had upturned pointy edges, and usually there would be various pins stuck into the crown of the hat. What I had taken to be jewels stuck in Jughead's "crown" were really just pins in a soft hat. It seems like these hats were a normal part of boy's attire.

So I'm curious. What is the story with these hats? When did they come in style and where? Was it only in big cities, as it appears from the context of old movies? And when did they go out of style?

Eve
06-04-2003, 09:09 AM
The first one I ever remember seeing was on "Dead End kid" Huntz Hall, in the late 1930s. But I can't imagine he invented it!

CalMeacham
06-04-2003, 09:30 AM
We've had questions about these before on the Board. If you look on Lileks' site (lileks.com) in the "OLd Ads" section you can find an ad for a "Whoopie hat", which is a cloth cap that is basically a concave pieces of cloth (felt?) with the edge turned back and cut into points like a "crown". I get the impression these came out in the 1930s, and comic strip illustrators found them irresistable. I think they look kinda dumb, and I suspect that, after the initial flush of novelty wore off, the kids thought so, too. I'd be willing to bet they died out in the 1940s, after which only holdovers like Jughead Jones and kids in Little Lulu wore them.

Daniel
06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
There more advanced than you think . . . don't forget that in the short-lived Jughead's Time Police, it was revealed that his hat came from the future . . . I'm serious.

Pábitel
06-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Don't forget Goober's fondness for a somewhat flea bitten version of the style on The Andy Griffith Show as seen here. (http://geocities.com/chuck9997/gooberautog.jpg)

Gatopescado
06-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Damn you and your link, Degrance! You get me all worked up for a picture of The One and Only Goober, and Yahoo tells me the page is unavailable!

What a monumental setback of fortunes! :D

Super Gnat
06-04-2003, 02:03 PM
I always thought it was a Burger King crown.

Gr8Kat
06-04-2003, 05:14 PM
Granted, this is a drawing, not a photo, but here is a picture of Goober and his hat (http://mayberry.com/tagsrwc/weavers/collection/george_murray_goober_trio.jpg) :)

hajario
06-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by CalMeacham
We've had questions about these before on the Board. If you look on Lileks' site (lileks.com) in the "OLd Ads" section you can find an ad for a "Whoopie hat", which is a cloth cap that is basically a concave pieces of cloth (felt?) with the edge turned back and cut into points like a "crown".

Here (http://lileks.com/oldads/30s/4.html) is a direct link to the ad. The hats came free with boxes of corn flakes or you could order three for 29 cents (supplies are limited.)

Haj

Slithy Tove
06-04-2003, 05:56 PM
They were made by cutting the brim off any old felt hat, then cutting the base of the crown into the, well, "crown" pattern, and flipped up. This shape was used for the same reason pinking shears cut in the same zig-zag: it frays slower.

When felt hats went out of style, so did the practice of recycling them into beanies.

dangermom
06-04-2003, 06:05 PM
My mom made a couple of these out of felt for me and 2 brothers (it was my punk brother's idea first). We liked them and wore them in public during our respective college and HS years--I would put my hair in braids and the hat on top. I still have mine.

pravnik
06-04-2003, 06:21 PM
I have the same last name as the actor who played Goober.

Every family reunion my hopes are dashed. He never shows.

MisterThyristor
06-04-2003, 11:53 PM
Basically, it was what kids in the 20s and 30s did for a hat. You cut up your dad's old felt hat to make it more "cool" and kid-compatible. I think it started out as something only the "poor kids" did, but with the popularity of such films as "The Bowery Boys" (Dead End Kids), etc., it became a style.

Cite? Sorry, it was something I read about a long time ago, and a quick Google search didn't turn anything up.

Zoe
06-05-2003, 12:42 AM
We still called them beanies in the early 1950's. I had one that had soda bottle caps on it. The last time I wore one was in about 1963 when I pledged a sorority.

There are "beanies" on the market today, but they look more like the knitted naval hats that men wore at sea. There are also some that have the concave shape but they are not made of felt and don't have the pointy parts. That's no fun...

El Cid Viscoso
06-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Props to Cal. You've really made my day with that "Whoopie Hat!"

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
06-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by CalMeacham
We've had questions about these before on the Board. If you look on Lileks' site (lileks.com)

I had to be sure and thank you for telling me about that site. It's one of the funniest general sites I've seen. Maybe he's just got the same style sense of humor as I do.

Dinsdale
06-09-2003, 09:33 AM
I made one out of one of my dad's old hats in the mid 60s. Cut out various shapes and decorated it with pins. Called it a beanie.

cybersnark
06-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Google, is your friend - here is goober and his hat:

http://www2.una.edu/library/lindsey/biography.htm

And you get George Lindsey's (The actor that portrayed the mighty Goober) bio to boot!

Slithy Tove
06-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Origins (I forgot to add this to my post above, because I was at work): The Doughboys.

After the Civil War the US adopted the felt campaign hat as standard headgear. At first a fore-and-aft crease was worn, but around the turn of the century this changed to the 4-dent Montana peak now work by drill instructors, state troopers, etc. Ventillation was originally a pair of small holes with wire screens on the sides, but this changed to a snowflake pattern of small grommeted holes, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, when sent to France in 1917-18, the felt hat was an incumbrance when the soldier had to wear his helmet. Instead, and ever since then, the Army and Marines have worn the foldable flat hat that, with that well-developed sense of homoerotic sadomasocism common to all soldiers, somone dubbed the 'pisscutter."

What to do with thousand of useless campaign hats? The brims were cut into panels and sewn into hospital slippers, as much to give bored soldiers something to do as give sick ones something to wear, and the crowns were left for whatever boredom they too could relieve.

Cits? I dunno, some books I read a long time ago.

Walloon
06-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr. B
Props to Cal. :confused:

Best Topics: minesweeping ww2 voyager landing gear high instep 50s commercial music possum lodge service advisor pay pee and bleach winston soft pack pq province achoo sneezing filipina reddit labia function monkeys blood seinfeld jewish is spook racist round ship window b24 b25 define cooter x37b launch polydactyly dominant tolling services kodiak smokless tobacco schwans sucks murder one definition wife sucking strippers crib height extenders tip your waitress blowjob cheek american dvds israelite song aldi happy farms etu brutus adderall expiration veiny forearms 2004 mazda 3 aux input can you use bleach on wood floors pee a lot during period real human brain for sale using tivo without subscription nancy (comic strip) why are the jaguars so bad forgotten the face of his father meaning can you fail marine boot camp is tamiflu available over the counter? home depot sink installation wheel bent repair cost family guy bag of weed is calculus required for medical school mechanic didn't fix problem moving star in the sky why do people say idear car wont start after filling with gas buying weed in punta cana is it ok to pee in the sink where can i get a helium tank refill how to write a cursive j how do you say i love you in spanish to your mom toro personal pace electric start battery ak-130 naval gun wiki better to remain silent and be thought a fool meaning how long can a closet rod be without support mrs robinson song meaning make sure computer doesn't sleep nudity in james bond pontiac vibe window regulator replacement how to dial 1800 number from us can i put my straight talk sim card in another phone most influential american musicians why don't friends keep in touch