PDA

View Full Version : Urinating in Sinks

Zenpea
06-16-2003, 06:24 PM
My friend recently surveyed 30 people on a night of 3 minute long blind dates. It turned out a large proportion of guys urinate in their sinks because they're too lazy to go to the toilet.

Maybe this is a Cambridge thing. Maybe it isn't. Have you ever urinated in your sink, excluding childhood / old age mishaps?

-James

X~Slayer(ALE)
06-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Anyone unrinating into sinks because theyre too lazy to go to the bathroom has serious mental issues.

Sinks are for food. I wouldnt put any caustic chemicals in there that might end up inside my system. I may tolerate that on my skin but I sure as heck wouldnt want to drink the stuff.

porcupine
06-16-2003, 06:30 PM
:waits for someone to say "But urine is sterile!:

Giraffe
06-16-2003, 06:31 PM
I have never peed in my sink. I wish I could say that I had never peed in any sink, but I was an unruly little kid in elementary school, where peeing in sinks or on the floor was the height of hilarity.

X~Slayer(ALE)
06-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by porcupine
:waits for someone to say "But urine is sterile!:

While urine is sterile, the fact still remains that urine is a waste product. The body has removed it from itself to keep itself from toxins. It would be illogical to think that a substance albeit free from bacteria is suitable to be injested.

Thudlow Boink
06-16-2003, 07:04 PM
:confused:
I have never heard of such a thing. Perhaps someone's leg is being pulled?

porcupine
06-16-2003, 07:11 PM
From Cecil's column on Urine Therapy (https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a4_220.html)(scroll to the bottom - it's not the main column) The stuff is fairly sterile, and if you do happen to have a urinary-tract infection or something, well, you've already got whatever germs you're consuming. (Former Indian prime minister Moraji Desai, a daily urine drinker, lived to be 99.)

On the other hand, Asplin said, UT isn't likely to do you much good either. Listen to your body. Your body is saying, "I just got rid of this stuff, granola-brain. Are you nuts?"

But if you want to try it, be my guest. Just don't eat any asparagus first.

porcupine
06-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Forgot to mention that "Urine Therapy" is drinking your own urine.

MrTuffPaws
06-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Oh come on, hasn't anybody read "Gravity's Rainbow" In the famous banana scene, they mention the British soldiers urinating in sinks while shaving.

If one thinks about it, pissing in a sink (bathroom) is most likely cleaner that using the toilet due to toilets producing splash back. Not to mention it is damn hard to aim sometimes. Of course, one could just say, squat and be done with the whole mess.

Zenpea
06-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Do not adjust your sets, it IS common practice. The guy next door to me frequently does it - I've heard him! (And he admitted it. The skanky ho.)

-James

Incubus
06-16-2003, 07:30 PM
My friend's roomate (female) once pissed in mu friend's bathroom sink to try to get his attention while he was making an important phone call :eek:

Mith
06-16-2003, 07:33 PM
hahaha, I was just mentioning this to a friend earlier today.

One time at a house party my friend Rachel and I had to go to the bathroom at the same time. THe line up was long... and by the time we made it to the bathroom, she swore she couldn't hold it any longer (she had been drinking). So, I took the toilet and she took the sink.

Crude... yes.

Padmaraga
06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Yes, once, a long time ago. I was on a long distance call which I didn't want to interrupt, and the phone cord (this was before cordless phones) wouldn't reach to the toilet - I could only make it as far as the sink. I cleaned the sink thoroughly after the phone call. Mind you, I don't do much food prep in my bathroom, so it didn't bother me too much.

doctordoowop
06-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, Lenny Bruce said once, "Even President Johnson has pissed in the sink." Not sure what inferences can be drawn from this, otrher than it wasn't unheard of back then.

raisinbread
06-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I've pissed in a sink but it was the utility sink down in the basement of my old house. Pissing in the other sinks, like bathroom and kitchen sinks, is just plain gross. I knew someone who'd piss in those big slurpee cups while watching TV. They weren't a friend or an acquaintance just someone peripheral to my former social circle.
Also I used to whiz while I was letting the dogs out at night, ended up making a dead patch of grass too and I'd pretend that it was a wee, tiny Carthage salted by the Romans in a most unwholesome fashion. Sometimes I still whiz outside late at night just to be in the open air, looking up at the stars with a cool breeze caressing my three piece set.

Jervoise
06-16-2003, 11:03 PM
It's pretty skanky, but I've done it before. Never in my own house or anyone else's place, but I've pissed in sinks at certain pubs/clubs and at concerts.

One pub which springs to mine is a student bar near my old uni. The upstairs toilet had no urinal, just a single disabled toilet. Guys would form two queues: one outside the toilet cubicle and one beside the sink.

At some outdoors concerts, pissing in the sink is ultra-common. The urinals are usually shoulder-to-shoulder so the sink becomes a valid option.

In all these places, no one is washing their hands anyway, so I don't think it's too bad. I'd never piss in a kitchen sink or proper bathroom sink.

KarmaComa
06-16-2003, 11:06 PM
There's a sink in the main UBC pub/club that my friend pissed in. He thought it was a urinal.

It's semicircular, about 6' in diameter, and the rim of it is about 2.5' off the grount. There's a bar on the floor going around it that you step on to turn on the water. I've nearly been fooled myself.

zen101
06-17-2003, 03:54 AM
what the shit else do you do when you and your roomie/lover/wife/whatever have just rushed in the door after a long road trip on a hot day? You both have to piss like mad so one of you has to piss in the bathroom sink. bfd. rinse it well afterward.

not like you are crapping in the disposal.

Badtz Maru
06-17-2003, 04:24 AM
One time a few years ago I urinated in my bathroom sink. I was half-asleep and didn't realize what I was doing until the urine stream was already going. I washed the sink thoroughly afterwards.

Oddly enough, drugs and alcohol had nothing to do with this - I think I was not fully conscious.

Tansu
06-17-2003, 06:12 AM
In a single dorm bedroom with a basin (bathroom sink) in it, and the toilet way way down the corridor (or in some cases only accessible by going outside and in again through another door*), I can quite see how a young student type might piss in the basin.

Is it a Cambridge thing?
Well, it's probably a "single dorm room without ensuite facilities" thing, coupled with a "lazy student" thing.

*seriously, in the older parts of my college, there were a couple of staircases with no bathrooms at all. Anyone living in rooms on those staircases had to go out into the cold night air in order to reach a bathroom (and the cold night air in Cambridge in the winter comes straight off Russia without passing go. OK, it's not Minnesota, but it's frigging cold to us Brits). This isn't meant to excuse anyone, I'm aware that we piss in the toilet in our society, not the basin. I'm just presenting an interesting fact about the bathroom arrangements in some parts of some Cambridge colleges. Jammy bastards at John's had ensuite bloody shower rooms, though. Gits.

longjohn
06-17-2003, 07:23 AM
What Tansu said.

Whilst I don't piss in a sink when there's a toilet available, I don't see why people get so upset about this. After all, it washes off.

That said, i wouldn't like the thought of using a sink for any purpose after total strangers had pissed in it.

J.

Stonebow
06-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Been there, done that. Whoever decided that it would be better for dorm rooms to have a sink was a genius.

Only bad thing was that it was next to the door, and both my rooomie and I were on occasion shouldered out of the way by the other one. That could be messy...but we worked it out.

Actually, I think that it was the ONLY use that we put the sink too...we used the bathroom down the hall to brush teeth and such.

Angua
06-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Tansu
[B I'm just presenting an interesting fact about the bathroom arrangements in some parts of some Cambridge colleges. Jammy bastards at John's had ensuite bloody shower rooms, though. Gits. [/B]

Here here! As I recall, there's one Cambridge college, I think its Emmanuel, where if you're in a rather unlucky staircase, you have to walk across the main court for a shower. :eek:

I was always very lucky in that the bathroom was always very close to my room.

5-HT
06-17-2003, 10:30 AM
I'll admit that in a drunken state, I have done this with the sink in the basement. The only bathroom is on the second floor, and we don't use that sink for anything else.

When I was in college, two of my friends had a sink that was used only for urination(we're talking about a bathroom type sink in a dorm room, where the actual bathroom is down the hall). The only other thing I can remember that sink being used for was vomiting. By the time they moved out, that sink was completely black and had a smell similar to an open landfill. it was pretty disgusting.

Surreal
06-17-2003, 10:53 AM
I pee in the sink every single time I urinate when I'm at home, and I've been doing it this way for years. And here I thought I was the only one who did this!

I've never lived in any dorm, but I managed to make this discovery serendipitously. One night when I was inebriated, for some reason I just decided to pee in the sink. When I awoke the next morning, I got to thinking about it and thought I'd try it out again. It went so well I decided I'd never do it the old way again.

I only pee in my bathroom sink, but I would never pee in the kitchen sink, so the idea that I could somehow be ingesting it is ludicrous.

There are countless advantages to peeing in the sink-

There is much less splatter / splashback.

You can urinate with an erection without having to try to bend your penis, or risk missing the target.

Cleanup is as easy- you just run the water for a couple of seconds and you're done.

The sink is the perfect elevation for most men- even better than a urinal.

You waste much less water than you would if you used the toilet and flushed.

You can urinate without using your hands, so you could, for instance, brush your teeth at the same time.

No one will even notice if you don't 'flush'.

Given all of the aforementioned reasons, I tend to think that you would have to have some sort of a 'mental problem' if you're a guy and you DON'T pee in the sink.

Qazzz
06-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Yeah, Surreal said it. I do it, too. Almost exclusively. It's easy to rinse out a sink, whereas it's a pain in the ass to clean the entire toilet.

photopat
06-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Yes. I did it! And I'm glad too! Ahahahahahah!

In college. :D

Indygrrl
06-17-2003, 12:26 PM
A few years back I was hitting the bottle pretty hard and I used to go outside and pee off the porch instead of having to go all the way upstairs. I even did it when it was cold out. When you pee on cold ground, steam comes off it.

That's kind of disgusting, now that I think back on it. haha.

dwc1970
06-17-2003, 12:37 PM
I find it surprising that so many guys have supposedly done this. I've never witnessed it myself, nor has anyone I've known ever admitted to doing it (granted, we don't usually discuss our bathroom habits in the first place). I've never tried peeing in a sink myself since I'm not quite tall enough to do it, given the height of most sinks. I'd have to stand at a distance and arc the flow, which is something I'm not about to try.

cowgirl
06-17-2003, 12:53 PM
I used to live in a room with a door right into the backyard. The bathroom was upstairs. So needless to say when I had to pee at night I just went out the door and squatted.

The whole point of peeing outdoors is to minimize effort, and since getting dressed (I sleep naked) is too much effort for three in the morning, I'm sure I gave my neighbours a few late-night showings.

missbunny
06-17-2003, 04:11 PM
I used to work somewhere where one of the bartenders was fired for peeing in the bar sink. The one behind the bar. The bar where customers sit. Yes, he would pee in the sink while he was tending bar.

Anyway, the union got him reinstated since the establishment's union contract did not specifically prohibit peeing in the sinks; therefore, he should not have been fired for a first offense. Or so went their logic.

Homebrew
06-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Yes pissin' in the wind, bettin' on a losing friend
Makin' the same mistakes, we swear we'll never make again
And we're pissin' in the wind, and it's blowing on all our friends
We're gonna sit and grin and tell our grandchildren

That the answer my friend is just pissin' in the wind
Oh the answer is pissin' in the sink

--Jerry Jeff Walker

rhinostylee
06-17-2003, 04:51 PM
I've both pissed an masturbated into a wide assotment of sinks. Variety is the spice of life!

The Controvert
06-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Ironically, I've only pissed in a sink when I was in Cambridge (long story). So maybe it is a Cambridge thing.

stuyguy
06-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Hey, as George Castanza said to Elaine, "It's all pipes!."

Searching For Truth
06-17-2003, 06:08 PM
I envision all these male Dopers going home tonight to go try out their sinks...be a bit more difficult for female Dopers, I'd think! :eek:

I remember hearing a story about my ex-boyfriend pissing in a friend's sink one night. The same ex pissed whenever he had to go, wherever he felt like it: in my yard, his yard, random yards, etc. One of our friends almost died of embarrassment while riding shotgun when the ex stopped at a stop sign and hopped out to go take a leak.

photopat
06-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by rhinostylee
I've both pissed an masturbated into a wide assotment of sinks. Variety is the spice of life!

TMI.

ShadiRoxan
06-17-2003, 06:21 PM
I've never peed in the sink, but my father's mother did it all the time. (I don't associate with this side of the family.)

Apparently it was too much effort for her to walk up or down stairs to use a toilet so she used to kick every one out of the kitchen/dining area. She had a cup right beside the sink that she would pee into and then pour the urine down the sink. The cup would return to its spot beside the sink.

Bippy the Beardless
06-17-2003, 06:41 PM
I must admit to once urinating in a sink, this was at a skanky hotel with one disgusting toilet on each floor for the guests. It was by far the most hygenic thing to do, and I did wash the sink down with plenty of soapy water afterwards.

photopat
06-17-2003, 06:47 PM
At least...for this thread. ;)

(New masturbation thread starting in 5...4...3...)

Guinastasia
06-17-2003, 07:10 PM
If a toilet is unavailable, do what I used to do-when I was up late and afraid to go downstairs to the bathroom-put a plastic bag in your wastebasket and voila!

Robot Arm
06-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Zenpea
My friend recently surveyed 30 people on a night of 3 minute long blind dates. It turned out a large proportion of guys urinate in their sinks because they're too lazy to go to the toilet.
Did these conversations result in any further dates?
Originally posted bu Surreal
You can urinate without using your hands, so you could, for instance, brush your teeth at the same time.And shave, too. Sounds like a really good episode of Mr. Bean, doesn't it?

DougC
06-17-2003, 07:42 PM
- - - I pissed in the kitchen sink once years ago when a female family member was camped in the bathroom for nearly an hour.
- And for a while it was a common practice for me+pals, when at a buddy's house, to come back from using the restroom and say "be careful in there, the toilet was a mess so I pissed in the sink", but it was a sarcastic remark and none of us really did it.... I think.... >:o

photopat
06-17-2003, 09:03 PM
I don't pee in the sink anymore. Now I use the bath tub.
Almost got it full too. :D

j_kat_251
06-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Guinastasia
If a toilet is unavailable, do what I used to do-when I was up late and afraid to go downstairs to the bathroom-put a plastic bag in your wastebasket and voila!

Are you for real? I piss in the kitchen sink (NO DISHES) and even I think that's disgusting.

:D

tarnik
06-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Homer: "This means we can't pee in the water fountains anymore!"
<Lenny and Carl give odd looks>

Max Torque
06-17-2003, 10:35 PM
College, yep yep yep. You wake up, you're not dressed, you gotta pee, and all you have is a sink.

Hell, one of the female RAs told me that the girls pee in the sink just as often as the guys. They just don't feel like getting dressed or doing whatever else is necessary to walk down the hall to the community bathroom. And the sink is right there.

Revtim
06-17-2003, 10:44 PM
I drink a whiskey drink
I drink vodka drink
and when I have to pee
I use the kitchen sink

HoldenCaulfield
06-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Just like Surreal and several others, I pee in the bathroom sink as often as possible.

I actually was inspired to try it by an SDMB thread many months ago. It is just so easy, convenient, and even fun. Sometimes I'll pee in an empty bathtub if I'm too tired to pick up the toilet seat.

(Alright, I'm not that lazy.)

don't ask
06-18-2003, 12:49 AM
Well let's say you're living in a real dump in London. In the basement that has been turned into a flat, a flat without a bathroom. The common bathroom is up two loooong flights of stairs. It is the middle of winter and you wake up in the middle of the night, naked in bed. Could happen. You'd be forgiven under those circumstances wouldn't you, what with the freezing cold and the absence of clothes and the drunkenness and the long flights of stairs and the dark and all that. That would make it different wouldn't it? Eh?

doctordoowop
06-18-2003, 01:27 AM
Surreal-your Onassis commented reminded me. "How would the world have been different if Kruschev & not Kennedy had been killed?"

Answer:" Not sure, but doubt Mrs. Kruschev would have married Onassis."

ratty
06-18-2003, 03:09 AM
It's not the preferred method, but I think it's okay to pee in the sink as long as you wash it out afterwards. I've done it myself. (I'm female) You just have to scooch up on the edge. The first year I lived in my house, we had massive plumbing problems. For two weeks I had to go to my mom's to shower/poop/do laundry/cook, but I could still pee in the bathroom sink. I washed it down with water in a bucket. I also had to pee outside pretty often at this point, but I go camping a lot, so that wasn't such a big deal.

A friend of mine once got extremely pissed off at her roomate for not doing the dishes, so she pissed in the sink and left it there. But this was the same girl who, while drunk at a party and not wanting to wait for the bathroom, went into the yard and took a crap. Obviously there were some elimination issues there.

Zenpea
06-18-2003, 01:50 PM
Thankyou all for your enlightening comments. It appears there's a broad spread from the entirely unbothered to the conscietious objector to the spiteful people in someone else's bedroom etc... perhaps there are specific motivations / dispositions that lead to this sink urinating habit? I smell a pissertation.

-James

JohnBckWLD
06-18-2003, 05:38 PM
[Shirley Maclaine in Steel Magnolias]"He's a real gentleman. I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it..."[Shirley Maclaine in Steel Magnolias]

Sock Munkey
06-20-2003, 09:36 AM
I tried it once as an experiment but I usually prefer to whizz in the backyard, it's very liberating.

Surreal
06-20-2003, 12:18 PM
One more point about peeing in the sink-

When I first started doing it I was concerned that the uric acid might corrode the pipes, causing expensive repairs later on down the road. But I've been peeing in the same sink a couple of times a day for about 4 years now, and so far there haven't been any problems.

As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no downside to doing this.

Uncommon Sense
06-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Ok, we`ve got the peeing in the sink figured out. How about peeing in the shower?

coyly raises hand

pestie
06-20-2003, 02:23 PM
I peed in the sink once, just so I could say I did it.

Tansu
06-20-2003, 04:58 PM
You can pee in the shower. Just don't shit in the tub.

Yorikke
06-20-2003, 06:33 PM
When I lived in a wino hotel in SF, with only one communal bathroom per floor, I ALWAYS peed in my sink, and did my damndest to only defecate at work. Now, I only pee in the sink when Mrs. hrhomer is in the can, or when I'm bachelor boy for a few days, perhaps as a way of claiming my territory...

hrh

Yorikke
06-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by whuckfistle
Ok, we`ve got the peeing in the sink figured out. How about peeing in the shower?

coyly raises hand

Almost every time I shower...

hrh

aaslatten
06-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Surreal
But I've been peeing in the same sink a couple of times a day for about 4 years now, and so far there haven't been any problems.

As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no downside to doing this.

Um, yeah, except it's kind of disgusting.

finette6
06-20-2003, 09:47 PM
There's a Jim Thompson book (I think it's Rip-Off ) in which there are at least 4 instances of characters peeing in sinks, male and female, with some sexual connotations. It reminded me of the Tom Robbins/anal sex thing. The book wasn't published until after he died, other than the sink-peeing and some wierd violence, it's a perfectly ordinary crime novel...

Cardinal
06-21-2003, 04:20 AM
I had a room in a garage for a while, and it was a LOT simpler to pee in the utility sink that the washer drained into than to go outside and back inside the house. That might require putting on pants and unlocking another door.

So, yeah, often.

Pablito
06-21-2003, 11:00 AM
I did, frequently in college, as others have mentioned, when the toilets were way down the hall and the sink was just right there, beckoning with its gleaming white porcelein and proximity.

Lots of guys in the dorm did it. And here's a good, related story that exemplifies the downside of NOT pissing in your dorm room sink:
There was a guy who lived about 6 rooms down the hall from me and my roommate--I think his name was something ridiculous like John Bullwinkle. Anyway, young Bullwinkle rarely touched a drop of alcohol and was a little too dandified to consider using the sink as a urinal. One night, he did get drunk, and when he woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the bathroom, instead of turning left and walking 6 doors door and using the bathroom, he got turned around (we're reconstructing events here, trying to understand exactly what happened) and opened the sixth door he came to. Recall that our dormrooms were 6 rooms apart. So my roommate woke up--I happened to be out of town that night--to discover that Bullwinkle was having a loud, copious, splashy piss on my roommate's turntable. If only he had developed the habit of pissing in his own sink.
Much hilarity ensued as this event was recounted the next day all over the dorm.

LouisB
06-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Well, I was past the age of 60 before I ever urinated in the shower and when I did, it was because of an SDMB thread on the subject. But, in spite of this thread and the apparent common use of various sinks as urinals, I ain't gonna piss in no sinks and that's final.

When I lived in a college dormitory, the rooms were more like cells--there were no sinks, no showers, and no toilets. We had to leave the room and hike to the communal bathroom, so pissing in a sink was a nonexistant option. Things were primitive in those days, back in West Texas.

AHunter3
06-22-2003, 06:17 PM
I've done it, having rented in a few hole-in-the-wall places where the room had a sink but the toilet was down the long cold hall.

One problem is that the sink doesn't flush, so the urine collects down in that little upside-down U trap, and while urine is indeed sterile it is also chock full of bacteria-food, so for the same reasons that you should not leave the toilet sitting around unflushed after you pee in it, peeing into the sink can create a nasty undersmell that can pervade the room. I suppose you could address this by running the tap for several minutes (not just a few seconds) after peeing into the sink.

Sock Munkey
06-22-2003, 09:45 PM
When one pees in the shower it's odd to see that single stream going perpendicular to all the others.

danceswithcats
06-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Years ago my volunteer fire company built a special service truck with air bottles and so forth. We also installed a sink that was fed with a pump from an RV style water tank and pump, and it drained out over the right rear tires.

We were headed to a parade, and one of the guys had to pee, and he let it go into the sink. I glanced out the back windows and saw the elderly lady in a Buick who was following us put on her windshield wipers.

Best Topics: change gif speed sharwoods tikka masala should vs shall men wearing tampon hiyo silver donkey punch meaning freakin means typed written beef commercial song pine marten pet truck hijacking midgets playing baseball hells angels nomads goebbels suicide niqab eye rolls of nickels broken bone puns marney thanksgiving letter trashy female names script ideas eating glass trick mixing car oil rotating tempurpedic mattress counter sue biblical font carbine pronunciation geek freak show milkshake definition define blow job euchre origin average men's shoe size by height 1000 years is called is it possible to tickle someone to death how much is the mona lisa worth distinguished conflagration award of the american society of muleskinners night gallery big surprise ren and stimpy classical music type of hunting bows i like my cigar but i take it out wells fargo endorse check for deposit yale locks home depot helmets for mentally challenged braxton hicks all day long how far is a military click why doesn t the stomach digest itself japanese hot water dispensers hobo sack on a stick buckle of the bible belt cats and black pepper how tall arnold schwarzenegger printer says paper jam but no paper meclizine dosage for sleep alcohol with highest proof what do detectives wear how to peel a onion volvo s40 key fob not working how to crack brazil nuts the easy way battery for victorinox swiss army watch how to send sat scores to yourself is rock music bad for you what to put on brats