PDA

View Full Version : Need Parrothead help

Lok
09-12-2003, 02:24 PM
I recently picked up Meet Me In Margaritaville and really enjoy it. But I was wondering about the lyrics to one song. The chorus to One Particular Harbour has words in what sounds like Gaelic. Does anyone know what the words are and what they mean?

verbenabeast
09-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I think it's Tahitian (or some similar language) I will seek a translation...

verbenabeast
09-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Margaritaville.com (http://margaritaville.com/help/#One%20Particular%20Harbour) translates thusly

One Particular Harbour
Nature lives ( Life to nature )
Have pity of the earth ( Love the earth )
The bounty of the land is exhausted
But there is still abundance in the sea

bordelond
09-12-2003, 03:20 PM
The lyrics are probably Tahitian (http://guitaretab.com/b/buffett-jimmy/2638.htm):

IA ORA TE NATURA [translation:]
E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI NATURE LIVES (LIFE TO NATURE)
IA ORA TE NATURA HAVE PITY FOR THE EARTH
E MEA AROFA TEIE AO NEI (LOVE THE EARTH)

UA PAU TE MAITAI NO TE FENUA BOUNTY OF THE LAND IS EXHAUSTED
TE ZAI NOA RA TE ORA O TE MITIE BUT THERE'S STILL ABUNDANCE
IN THE SEA

Buffett's box set notes (http://margaritaville.com/cocotel/boxboats.htm) that lead me to believe that the language above is Tahitian:

ONE PARTICULAR HARBOR: I had my sights sets on Tahiti a long time ago and connived my way there through my good friend Tom Moffatt in Hawaii. We went there to play a show to an unknown audience, but that didn't matter. I still had made it to Tahiti. At the airport we were met by an old expatriated American named Hugh Kelly who had run away from home a long time ago. We became instant friends, and he took me to his home on Moorea in the mountains above Cook's Bay. When I looked down at the vista, the song came out as if it had been sitting inside of me waiting for the moment.

Also, as spelled, the lyrics above are clearly not Gaelic. The words do have the verbal brevity and relative paucity of phonetic segments that strongly suggest a Polynesian language.

Lok
09-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bordelond
The lyrics are probably Tahitian:

Also, as spelled, the lyrics above are clearly not Gaelic. The words do have the verbal brevity and relative paucity of phonetic segments that strongly suggest a Polynesian language.
Thanks a lot. I couldn't figure out why he would use Gaelic, but it was the only language I have heard that sounded close. Guess it was not all that close. ;)

One less thing to nag at me when listening to the CDs.

Lok

Best Topics: replacement shelf pegs snafu origin vampire connectors callobius severus buy propofol songs with baby really black actors vicodin for depression kava panic attacks gas in diesel small maggots snl cue cards fill dirt definition scarey poem dead niggers 190cc engine horsepower plural of pheonix cartoon vs animation microwave clothing define dinger mason's children zeroxposur wiki ghosting email gunshot scar healed 52 states virtual rolodex gunshot wound recovery balcks camping twc start over pronounce divisive tellers voice isaac asimov limericks simpsons love quotes why would someone steal a car registration a pair of pliers and a blowtorch ford f150 coolant capacity difference between v and vs who closes the bus door when the driver gets off does sudafed make you tired japan movt fmd watch ground beef turns brown in fridge how long is a caterpillar in a cocoon what are hells angels nomads appropriate thank you gift for doctor last mail pickup in my area lowes pressure treated lumber prices where can i buy ddt powder microwave scrambled eggs in a bag uhaul cargo trailers for sale toilet without a tank iphone connects and disconnects from computer a hundred or one hundred what does a leech look like pierre-cedric bonin how to counter sue for frivolous lawsuit female singers with deep voice can a president be impeached after leaving office turn tv on and off how to fix curtain rod holes is george costanza larry david integrated rear window antenna find lawsuits against a company dr sam beckett never returned home how to sharpen curved blades how to spot clean a suit