PDA

View Full Version : Why do they call it "tossing salad"?

mellonhead
09-16-2003, 05:30 PM
How the hell did they come up with "tossing one's salad"? Where did the term come from and what relationship does it have with licking one's asshole?

Jackknifed Juggernaut
09-16-2003, 05:47 PM
When tossing the salad, remember to stay away from the croutons. They don't taste so good. And the feta cheese too!

DarrenS
09-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Apparently, (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37128) because of the use of foodstuffs such as peanut butter, syrup and/or jelly during the act.

Revtim
09-16-2003, 07:37 PM
People put peanut butter, syrup and/or jelly in their salads?

Turbo Dog
09-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Revtim
People put peanut butter, syrup and/or jelly in their salads?

I would if my salad tasted like ass.

mellonhead
09-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Turbo Dog

Uh - thanks folks. I don't think I'll be using jelly, syrup or peanut butter on anything anytime soon for fear of it reminding me of ass...

Ottoerotic
09-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Turbo Dog

Thats the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you Turbo Dog.

Larry Mudd
09-16-2003, 11:18 PM
Oil and "Gaaaaaaaaaaahr, lick!"

ftg
09-17-2003, 12:14 AM
I have always heard this term in reference to throwing up. The recent posts regarding it are the very first I have seen giving a different meaning.

Max Torque
09-17-2003, 01:35 AM
I first heard of it, and I imagine many others did as well, when Chris Rock mentioned it during one of his stand-up comedy specials. At one point he talks about a TV special he'd seen about prison, and one prisoner mentions making a new inmate "toss his salad" as a way to humiliate him. And then we get the explanation that "tossing salad" means making the person eat Jell-O out of his ass.

So, if the question is "where did the 'salad' part come from", I'd reckon it's a play on "Jell-O salad." And the "tossing" part should be obvious.

Ruby
09-17-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by ftg
I have always heard this term in reference to throwing up. The recent posts regarding it are the very first I have seen giving a different meaning.
Are you sure that's not "tossing your cookies"?

quothz
09-17-2003, 01:59 AM
<p>Well, it's not exactly an answer to the question, but my old 1964 <i>Joy of Cooking</i> defines it:</p>

<p>"Toss repeatedly by lifting theleaves gently with a large fork and spoon until each leaf is completely coated [with oil]."</p>

<p>My gosh, these ladies can go on about salads. Very little etymology, alas, but they do note that what we often call 'croutons' (dry bread rubbed with garlic and tossed with the salad) are actually 'chapons'. Fascinating. Alternatively, rub a split clove of garlic on the inside of the salad bowl. (Croutons, which are typically sauteed or baked, are used in soups, dumplings, and Caesar salads, not tossed salads.)</p>

<p>I think I'll pass on their "Anchovy and Beet Dressing", though, and pour on a few globs of ranch. If you prefer oil and vinegar, the ladies told me to remind you, "be a spendthrift with oil, a miser with vinegar.</p>

Larry Mudd
09-17-2003, 02:49 AM
Very nice deadpan, quothz. :)

The SDMB won't parse HTML -- ya gotta get used to using vB code. All you need to know about vB code (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/misc.php?s=&action=bbcode). Since you're obviously familiar with html markup, you'll find it a snap.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
09-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Just had a thought. Could it be a reference to "greek salad"? Oh, and in case you didn't know, "Greek sex" is that of the anal variety.

Isabelle
09-17-2003, 01:51 PM
I have also heard it said "trading sandwhichs"

I heard "tossing his salad" and "trading sandwhichs" from prisoners.

samclem
09-17-2003, 11:03 PM
I heard "tossing his salad" and "trading sandwhichs" from prisoners.

Interesting life you must lead. And I don't mean anything negative in my comment.

I first heard of it, and I imagine many others did as well, when Chris Rock mentioned it during one of his stand-up comedy specials. At one point he talks about a TV special he'd seen about prison, and one prisoner mentions making a new inmate "toss his salad" as a way to humiliate him. And then we get the explanation that "tossing salad" means making the person eat Jell-O out of his ass.

Let's see if I understand(not that I want to).

The dominant prisoner has submissive prisoner to eat jello out of his(dominant) ass? How did the jello get up the ass of the dominant prisoner? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Airman Doors, USAF
09-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut
When tossing the salad, remember to stay away from the croutons. They don't taste so good. And the feta cheese too! You meant Fromunda Cheese, right? ;)

SwimmingwithChickens
09-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by samclem
Interesting life you must lead. And I don't mean anything negative in my comment.

Let's see if I understand(not that I want to).

The dominant prisoner has submissive prisoner to eat jello out of his(dominant) ass? How did the jello get up the ass of the dominant prisoner? Or am I just reading too much into it?

That just really cracked me up. How did the jello get up the ass of the dominant prisoner....

Now that's good cafeteria service! (Service with a smile??)

DAMN fine question samclem.

LorieSmurf
09-18-2003, 01:31 AM
I remember that Chris Rock episode, precisely because I actually SAW the prisoner special he was talking about. Ick.

Best Topics: unclog toilet drano squirting hose onion editorial cartoon drano bathroom sink meaning of yosemite coinmach locations chismbop video rubber game unsolved riddles rip netflix dvd ubox alternative b wire connectors cinematographer vs dp whitney's auto parts chevy i5 engine asbestos air purifier 7k in miles 10 guineas strip club franchises hour back old splinter shallot size what is ewr masterbating moms simcity radiation nigger innis cowboy showdown music cw convoy substitute curry powder purple rhymes personalities book dice red crab dead man french dirty talk nice gams origin heroin cooked razor blade disposal slot dogs leg tries to steal bone what does an electric shock feel like eenie meenie miney mo racist alcohol percentage in beer by state how many calories are in pho 2007 jeep commander starter problems can robitussin get you high how to get wax out of hair fly in wheels mc florida how to dig to china how to cut ceramic tile without a saw left drano in too long oceans 11 how did the flyers get in the vault guess your weight carnival game signs of water in your gas tank what does baja mean in spanish sell back your books barnes and noble chernobyl meaning in russian lion compared to human does amazon count saturday as a business day rolling office chair on carpet 6-1x0+2 divided by 2 spanish words that start with ? weekly estimated net usage statistics best way to cut metal pipe difference between innocent and not guilty how to make a fire look like an accident pro se litigants statistics why cant boys hit girls