PDA

View Full Version : Names you associate with "white trash"

liirogue
09-28-2003, 04:35 PM
I am currently writing a story, and a need a name for a character. Think of a woman in her forties built like a linebacker with a bad dye job and a hockey player's smile. And her personality matches her looks. What would you name her?

Please note, I'm not trying to offend anyone. The phrase "white trash" generally gives a good mental image.

TVGuy
09-28-2003, 04:47 PM
I think "trailer trash" might be the more acceptable term nowadays - but hey.

How about Velma
or
Hattie
Daisy
or
Bert (short for Bertrice)

Lisa-go-Blind
09-28-2003, 04:49 PM
How about one of those names that are also words, like Destiny or Charisma?

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
09-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Lois

liirogue
09-28-2003, 04:54 PM
TVGuy, I didn't use "trailer trash" because I was afraid some would misconstrue it to mean "black."

Michael Ellis
09-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Thelma
Luanne
Charlene
Marlene
Ginny
Sue Anne
Bobbie
Lorena
Mary Lou
Pretty much every other two name combination except Sarah Jane.

mouthbreather
09-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Misty

kambuckta
09-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Definitely Charlene.

Zeldar
09-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Porcina

elmwood
09-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Depends on whether she's from the North or the South. Michael Ellis has the Southern names nailed, but what if your white trash character is from Wisconsin, Pennsylvania or upstate New York?

I have met several shopworn, seen-much-better-days women named Tammy in rural and blue collar industrial areas in the North. Dee Dee is a similar Northern name, although the name reminds me more of a slightly chunky blonde sports bar hag than someone matronly. Buffalo's blue collar neighborhoods are filled with fourtysomething women named Joanne, Frances and Francine.

ccwaterback
09-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Bertha
Betty Lou
Mike (I knew a girl named Mike, it was short for ???, yikes!!!)
Linda Lou
Daisy Mable

or maybe people just call her by here nick:
Hogan
Gash
Whoopass
Hank
Snots
Booger

KidCharlemagne
09-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Vera

bojon
09-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Gotta be......Lillith

Heart On My Sleeve
09-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I've never known a black person who lived in a trailer, but then I'm from whitetrashville. Rows and rows of trailers with white folk living in them.

I second Thelma and Velma. But yes, it does depend on North or South. Jean, Evelyn. Tammy, I agree with too. Oh, there's Virginia, too.

sleepytimebaby
09-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Bertha... that is the name I picture to fit your character

Mirror Image egamI rorriM
09-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Tammy, definately.

Zeldar
09-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Enorma

liirogue
09-28-2003, 06:14 PM
The location I think will be the Rust Belt (parts of IL, etc.)

I should have mentioned she is not meant to be a nice lady. She is not the protagonist, either. Definitely in an antagonist position.

Please keep the ideas coming! This is helping a lot! I tried those baby name sites, but naturally, they didn't have a search for white trash names ;)

Duke of Rat
09-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Earlene

Lisa-go-Blind
09-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Continuing with my above-mentioned theme: April, Dawn.

And, Lurlene.

Master Wang-Ka
09-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Blanche is good.

Any two-syllable name followed by another one-syllable name.

And there's the ever-popular "Bubba."

G-RAY
09-28-2003, 06:25 PM
Nola, Nola Stienkie. Thats a real person by they way. I worked with her at a Fred Meyer store in Spokane. She was late forties, about 5'6" built like a refrigerater with a head. Her husband Duke was sort of semi-employed, he got fired from jobs alot, so he hung around the house all the time.She once asked one of the women at work who had recently dyed her hair if she "Mixed a double batch to dye the snatch to match". She drove an old pick up truck with a shovel and a broom sticking up out of the bed.

Blackeyes
09-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Faith, Chastity, Hope, America.

carlotta
09-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Florence or Flo
Mabel
Marge
Doris
Rhetta
Lou
Billie
Jo Lynn
Ida

Gyrate
09-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Bubba Sue (just kidding).Originally posted by elmwood
I have met several shopworn, seen-much-better-days women named Tammy in rural and blue collar industrial areas in the North. Dee Dee is a similar Northern name, although the name reminds me more of a slightly chunky blonde sports bar hag than someone matronly. Buffalo's blue collar neighborhoods are filled with fourtysomething women named Joanne, Frances and Francine. I'll second both the experience and the names. Out of those mentioned, I'd vote for Francine.

heimarkj
09-28-2003, 06:43 PM
mavis
becky

Czarcasm
09-28-2003, 07:12 PM
We don't cotton much to you uppity big city story writers here in IMHO. Why don't you come along real peaceful-like to the county line, and you can go bother those furriners over in Cafe Society.

Zoe
09-28-2003, 07:25 PM
If you want to be a good writer, avoid stereotypes. If you character lives in a trailer or if she is physically unattractive, giver her a beautiful or elegant name. Much better.

Cisco
09-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Bobbie

80sHairMetalMaven
09-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Bobbie Sue
Bobbie Ann
Peggy Sue
Birdie

MetalMaven

liirogue
09-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Dangit, Czarcasm! I thought long and hard about this one, and figured since it was a poll it woul suit IMHO.

And this character does not live in a trailer park. And I'm not going for "good writer" status here... I think a "good writer" would look down their nose at my story.

Fear Itself
09-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Delightra
Pearlette
Blondeen
Wenderella
Dawnelle
TaffiLyn
Florabelle
Clitoris
Aquanette
Bimberly
Ralphene

I have no idea if these people are white trash or not, but they are but a small sample of actual names from the Utah Baby Namer (http://wesclark.com/ubn/). I'm not saying that Utahans are white trash, they just name their kids that way.

racer72
09-28-2003, 08:51 PM
I know of someone exactly like that. The last names have been changed to protect others from her.

Earline Jones. Born Earline May Jackson. Married Smitty Bodine at 15, divorced at 18. Married Bertram Jones at 19 and had 5 kids in 7 years. Divorced Bertram at 33 when she caught him in bed with her little sister Tabitha. Married Dick Chesterfield a few years later. Dick is a trucker and isn't home much which suits Earline just fine. 7 years later Dick is killed in an accident and Earline uses the money from Dick's life insurance to buy a new double wide. Earline also changes her last name back to Jones because it is easier to spell. Earline is now 45 and single and still has 4 of her 5 children living with her.

Andy Gibb Jones is 25 and is between jobs. He has a couple of warrants out for him so he is laying low to avoid trouble. He claims he will be arrested if he gets a job. Whitney Houston Jones is 24 and has 2 kids of her own. She is working as a waitress and will move out when her back child support check comes in. She has been waiting for 4 years. Ted Nugent Jones, 22, is in the Army. He works at the motor pool at Fort Ord, California. Says he is waiting for secret orders to Iraq to help find Saddam himself. In reality his unit will not be going anywhere.

Mel Gibson Jones is 20 and works at Burger King. He is the only child of Earline to graduate from high school. He also owns his own car. He can't afford new license tabs so he only drives the car for emergencies. Which happen 4 or 5 times a day. Janet Jackson Jones at 18 is the youngest. She is pregnant with her first child. She won't know who the father is till the child is born and blood tests are done. She has her list narrowed down to 5 guys now.

Each child was named for the artist of the song Earline was listening to when they were conceived. Except Mel, he was conceived in the back of a 68 Chevy while Road Warriors was playing at the local drive in.

I Love Me, Vol. I
09-28-2003, 08:54 PM
No other name but Tammy will do.

SnoopyFan
09-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Dreama.

vengence will be mine...maybe
09-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Definitley without a doubt the perfect name would be Joliene.

Joliene

LifeOnWry
09-28-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm just trying to decide if posting to this thread will make me look/sound like someone who goes around with preconceived notions about people. (sigh)

It's been my observation that some people with less-than-middle-class lifestyles tend to like fancy names. And since I'm in Illinois, where your story is set, I'll give you a few I've encountered:

Raquel
Crystal
Doris
Alexis
Tonya
Bernadette
Rosalie
Jennifer & Jessica & Jacqueline & Janice (there are a gazillion of these J names)

(No offense intended to anyone who has any of the above names.)

ccwaterback
09-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Wanda
Irene
Trisha
Blanch

Extraneous
09-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Evangeline

curses the soul of a Mississippi queen...

Michael Ellis
09-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Marge
Patty
Dharma
Anne

Michael Ellis
09-28-2003, 11:35 PM
Marge
Patty
Dharma
Anne

Michael Ellis
09-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Marge
Patty
Dharma
Anne

Michael Ellis
09-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Ah, they're 1920's style "Death rays".

joyfool
09-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Donna. Without a doubt, my husband's ex-wife fits that description and persona to a T.

Badtz Maru
09-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Jolene

Tanka-Rae

Lurlee

betenoir
09-29-2003, 01:51 AM
Bitsy?

Rainbowthief
09-29-2003, 01:59 AM
Damn, mouthbreather beat me to it! Misty is the best one.

widdershins
09-29-2003, 03:28 AM
Frannie
Bernice
Lola
Janna
Candi (short for Candice, but never called that)
Katina
Bonita
Esperanza
Psyche (I know a real woman named this, she qualifies)

Wendell Wagner
09-29-2003, 04:07 AM
racer72 writes:

> Whitney Houston Jones is 24 and has 2 kids of her own.

Sorry about this, but this is the way my mind works: Whitney Houston Jones could not have been named after Whitney Houston. Whitney Houston Jones would have been conceived in 1978. Whitney Houston didn't record her first album until 1986, so Whitney Houston Jones couldn't have been conceived while a Whitney Houston song was playing.

Equipoise
09-29-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Fear Itself
Delightra
Pearlette
Blondeen
Wenderella
Dawnelle
TaffiLyn
Florabelle
Clitoris
Aquanette
Bimberly
Ralphene

I have no idea if these people are white trash or not, but they are but a small sample of actual names from the Utah Baby Namer (http://wesclark.com/ubn/). I'm not saying that Utahans are white trash, they just name their kids that way.

SOMEONE NAMED THEIR DAUGHTER CLITORIS???????

Those others are bad enough, but man...poor kid! I wonder if the parents knew what the word was, and how they heard it.

My contributions:

Twyla
Shauna
Shyla

fessie
09-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Can I ask a favor? Could you please name her Veronica? She could also be referred to as Ronnie if she had any friends.

It would be an appropriate ode to an odious wretch of a human being who lived in her pickup truck with her two maladjusted cats, and is the type of person to return the Christmas presents you've sent when she gets pissed off at you.

Bakhesh
09-29-2003, 06:47 AM
Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumor, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Clo, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sascha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Phail

BobLibDem
09-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Loretta
Dharva
Petunia

jjimm
09-29-2003, 06:54 AM
(UK-style)

Kylie
Chardonnay
Princess Di

godzillatemple
09-29-2003, 07:39 AM
Any name that starts with "La":

Lavonda
Lavelma
Laronda
Lawanda
Ladonna

In general, any name that is a "creative spelling" of a common name, that makes people wonder if the parents were trying to be original or were simply illiterate.

Barry

Apologies to any Lavondas, Lavelmas, Larondas, Lawandas, or Ladonnas out there....

LonesomePolecat
09-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Do you people have any idea just how mean and stupid you sound? And, please, coming from a poor white background yourself is no excuse.

Fear Itself
09-29-2003, 08:49 AM
Pipe down, LaVonda.

liirogue
09-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Lonesome, please don't be offended. People often associate certain names with certain stereotypes (and usually because they met someone by that name who fit the stereotype).
I can understand calling us "mean and stupid" if I had asked just for the hell of asking, but there actually is a purpose.

LonesomePolecat
09-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by liirogue
Lonesome, please don't be offended. People often associate certain names with certain stereotypes (and usually because they met someone by that name who fit the stereotype).
I can understand calling us "mean and stupid" if I had asked just for the hell of asking, but there actually is a purpose.
No matter how you slice it, "white trash" and "trailer trash" are terms of contempt which, like "nigger," "spick," "kike" or "wop," should not be used casually or thoughtlessly. The terms "poor white," "low income white," or "lower class white" would have expressed the same idea just as well without the connotations of ethnic and class bigotry.

All I want is the same courtesy and respect that would be shown anybody else. Okay?

pizzabrat
09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Zoe
If you want to be a good writer, avoid stereotypes. If you character lives in a trailer or if she is physically unattractive, giver her a beautiful or elegant name. Much better.

Exactly! Unless you're writing this for some mandatory class that you don't care about (please, PLEASE, tell me that's what you're doing), a question like this is a really bad sign.

It's really one of my pet peeves that so many so-called writers use stereotypes to tell their stories. Just letting the readers wallow in their own prejudices, they're not providing any unique perspectives, so their projects are pointless. I mean, I already know that fat people like to eat boxes of donuts at a time, so what the hell do I need you and your character "Bertha" for?

liirogue
09-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Pizzabrat, I'm just writing this for myself. I don't think anyone else will ever read it, actually. This character does not live in a trailer park, etc. I am just looking for a name that is associated with a stereotype.

Mariemarie
09-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Rhonda
Darlene
Eulayla
Dreeva
Crystal
Robyn
Tanya

Green Bean
09-29-2003, 01:36 PM
I'll have to vote a strong no on Tammy. I guess it connotes one thing to those of you in the midwest and south. It connotes something else to this average New York Jew. I know several Tammys and Tamis, but it's short for Tamara. Every Tamara I know is sophisticated and classy and a little bit exotic. So, to me, "Tammy" is an affectionate nickname for a woman who is the exact opposite of what you're looking for.

I like Charlene or Darlene. Sharla would be good, too. Or Darva. (Like Darva Conger, ha ha.) That "ar" sound in the middle makes me think of the kind of woman you're describing. (Apologies to my mother-in-law, Arlene.)

Misty would be great, too. The woman you describe is anything but "misty." The juxtaposition between the hopeful names that some people are given and the reality of their circumstances is often quite striking. Like you may see a woman in white stretch pants at the Wal-Mart shouting at her daughter Tiffany.

By the way, check out this (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=99455) thread by Myrnalene, where she asks what her username makes us think of. Her username is a concatenation of Marlene Dietrich and Myrna Loy, but instead of old-time glamour, many people thought of "the stereotypical "trailer trash" chick you see on Jerry Springer. Someone with long hair in the back but short ratted up bangs, too much makeup, wearing a shirt and jeans that are too tight for her chubby self."

Uvula Donor
09-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Equipoise
SOMEONE NAMED THEIR DAUGHTER CLITORIS???????

Those others are bad enough, but man...poor kid! I wonder if the parents knew what the word was, and how they heard it.

You think that's bad?

I was searching some old genealogical records down in Georgia, and found several instances of girls named Penissa.

Batsinma Belfry
09-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Cheryl
Cherry
Billie Jean
Darlene
Wanda Jo

bigdfrombigd
09-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Definitely gotta be "Loretta". Emphasis on the first syllable with a long o.;)

Hampshire
09-29-2003, 04:01 PM
How bout Pamela or Tommy Lee?

DaToad
09-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Joy-elle, or Jo-elle
Selma
Roxanne
Bernice
Mildred
Naneen

Tikki
09-29-2003, 04:28 PM
How about Carnie? Or to add a bit of sophistication: C'arnie.

Otherwise, I'd name her Tonya after a certain ice skater/rassler/bar brawler/community service doer.

burundi
09-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Whatever soap opera names are in this year. I know a Jolene and an Irene, and they're both lovely, classy ladies named for their grandmothers. I've also known many Beckys who have never set foot in a trailer. LifeOnWry is right. It's the
Tiffany
Crystal
Cheyenne
Destiny
Austin
Tyler
Montana
set that you have to watch out for.

DrDeth
09-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by liirogue
Please note, I'm not trying to offend anyone. The phrase "white trash" generally gives a good mental image.

"Nigger" also calls up a mental image. So does "spic", kike, wop, towelhead, sandnigger, greaser, wetback and a whole bunch more. Doesn't stop them from being hate words usually used by bigots.

I have said it before & I'll say it again- unless you woudl throw in "nigger", then you also have no business using "white trash"- it is just as bigoted & insensitive.

Now I have a mental image of you........

verbenabeast
09-29-2003, 06:27 PM
Vick

Bette

Hattie

hebesphenomegacorona
09-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by burundi
Whatever soap opera names are in this year. I know a Jolene and an Irene, and they're both lovely, classy ladies named for their grandmothers. I've also known many Beckys who have never set foot in a trailer. LifeOnWry is right. It's the
Tiffany

To be perfectly honest, the name Tiffany makes me think of abnormally chipper 14-year old prostitutes with really big tits.

Not white trash material.

Gyrate
09-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by jjimm
Chardonnay
Shiraz

:p

jjimm
09-30-2003, 05:14 AM
"Sauvignon-Blanc, come in right now - your dinner's ready!"

Cicero
09-30-2003, 05:15 AM
Madonna

Knowed Out
09-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Too many names for lilrogue to work with. But I'll add my suggestion anyway.

The first thing that popped into my head after reading the character's description was Vienna. Her mama thought it was a pretty name, and it's her favorite snack anyway. But she lives in a part of the country where they pronounce it VIE ENNY. She goes by Vi for short.

Caricci
09-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Yer a damn fool iff'n ya don't pick Tammy!

NicePete
09-30-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by LonesomePolecat
No matter how you slice it, "white trash" and "trailer trash" are terms of contempt which, like "nigger," "spick," "kike" or "wop," should not be used casually or thoughtlessly. The terms "poor white," "low income white," or "lower class white" would have expressed the same idea just as well without the connotations of ethnic and class bigotry.

All I want is the same courtesy and respect that would be shown anybody else. Okay?

Why is this necessarily bigotry? I know many low income white people. Although I don't use the term "white trash", I'm familiar with what it means. On an individual basis, some low income white people are crude, inconsiderate, lazy and downright trashy. Some low income white people are kind, thoughtful, industrious and downright admirable. What's wrong with calling a lowlife a lowlife (on an individual basis)?

Lissa
09-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Until just recently, I thought that "spic" was just a mean way of saying someone was compulsively clean. (As in "Spic and Span." My mother would fit the bill---she spends hours every day cleaning her already-clean house.)

My husband took sensitivity training at work, and was telling me about it at home. When he mentioned that "spic" was one word which they were trying to erase from employees' vocabulary, I expressed confusion. Thank god I had never used it.

Sampiro
09-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Totally ditto "soap opera" names. Many of the bonafide white trash I've had the pleasure of working with named their chirren after whoever the big heroine or hero was that year. One woman I knew named her daughter "Diedre Marlena" after actress Diedre Hall and her character Marlena Evans from DAYS OF OUR LIVES, and this was the year that Marlena was possessed by Satan.

Boys names I've known to be used from soap operas: Drake, Roman, Stefano, Blake, Chandler

Girls names I've known to be used for the same reason: Caitlin, Erica, Samantha, Isabella, Ivy

DrDeth
09-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Frankd6
Why is this necessarily bigotry? I know many low income white people. Although I don't use the term "white trash", I'm familiar with what it means. On an individual basis, some low income white people are crude, inconsiderate, lazy and downright trashy. Some low income white people are kind, thoughtful, industrious and downright admirable. What's wrong with calling a lowlife a lowlife (on an individual basis)?

Because the same excuse can (and has) be given for the use of the term "nigger"- as in "I only use that word to refer to the BAD black folk". :rolleyes:

And of course one can call a "lowlife" a lowlife. So do so. Why bring out the pointless and bigoted point that he/she is also "white"?

NicePete
09-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by DrDeth
Because the same excuse can (and has) be given for the use of the term "nigger"- as in "I only use that word to refer to the BAD black folk". :rolleyes:

OK, I'm not arguing for the use of racial epithets here. But if someone does only use that work to refer to bad individuals, are they a bigot? Clearly they are hugely insensitive, but I'm not sure bigot is the correct term. To me bigotry involves prejudging people based upon perceived shared group characteristics. If one uses an epithet based upon an individual assessment of a person, it isn't bigotry. That doesn't make it right, of course.

And of course one can call a "lowlife" a lowlife. So do so. Why bring out the pointless and bigoted point that he/she is also "white"? [/B]
So, it's the use of the word "white" that bothers you? What if I just called a lowlife "trash"? As long as it's individually assigned, what difference does the specific term I use to deride someone make?

Shirley Ujest
09-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Dang it.

I was voting for Tammy and Chrystal and Candyce/Candi.

She's too young to be a Dakota. MOre's the pity.

How about a high class name like " Jane Austen Wickowicz" or
(hee) Elizabeth Borden Wonkensteinberger.

But, Vienna could work well. Maybe she was conceived by the Vienna Sausage Factory where her mama met and had a romance with her Daddy, the shift supervisor, whom is naturally married and cannot leave his poor ailing wife.

God, this is fun.

liirogue
09-30-2003, 03:56 PM

And of course one can call a "lowlife" a lowlife. So do so. Why bring out the pointless and bigoted point that he/she is also "white"?

liirogue
09-30-2003, 04:02 PM
Arg, it ate part of my post!

Simple. Many blacks have names that are associated with blacks (just for example, Latoya). Since my character is white, I wanted to weed out the obviously "black" names

LonesomePolecat
10-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Frankd6
OK, I'm not arguing for the use of racial epithets here. But if someone does only use that work to refer to bad individuals, are they a bigot? Clearly they are hugely insensitive, but I'm not sure bigot is the correct term. To me bigotry involves prejudging people based upon perceived shared group characteristics. If one uses an epithet based upon an individual assessment of a person, it isn't bigotry. That doesn't make it right, of course.

So, it's the use of the word "white" that bothers you? What if I just called a lowlife "trash"? As long as it's individually assigned, what difference does the specific term I use to deride someone make?

The term "white trash" as well as the closely related term "trailer trash" are commonly used as demeaning epithets for low income whites and for Southerners. They are often applied with little discretion and definitely are not limited to people of a certain "mentality" without regard to economic or social class. At college I heard Northerners refer to someone as "white trash" simply because she spoke with a southern accent. Behind my back, I've been called "white trash" by classmates at college simply for listening to bluegrass and old-time country music, and I was called "trailer trash" by a co-worker after mentioning that I had been looking into the possibility of buying a used mobile home. The second time I sat the jerk down with our supervisor and informed him I would file a formal complaint against him if it ever happened again.

Despite what you've said here, the term "white trash" has strong connotations of class, racial and ethnic bigotry, and you should not throw that term around lightly.

liirogue
10-01-2003, 12:28 PM
If you all wish to continue debating this, please take it somewhere else.

NicePete
10-01-2003, 03:05 PM
My apologies, as this has clearly been a hijack. I'll say no more about it in this thread, other than to note that:

A) I have never personally used the epithet "White Trash" or "Trailer Trash".

B) If you review my posts, you'll notice that I emphasize that I think it is wrong and hurtful to do so.

C) I am from the South and speak with a Southern accent. I also listen to Bluegrass music.

Please understand that I am not condoning the use of any epithets, only trying to examine what is and is not bigotry.

Fretful Porpentine
10-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Sampiro
Totally ditto "soap opera" names. Many of the bonafide white trash I've had the pleasure of working with named their chirren after whoever the big heroine or hero was that year. One woman I knew named her daughter "Diedre Marlena" after actress Diedre Hall and her character Marlena Evans from DAYS OF OUR LIVES, and this was the year that Marlena was possessed by Satan.

Boys names I've known to be used from soap operas: Drake, Roman, Stefano, Blake, Chandler

Girls names I've known to be used for the same reason: Caitlin, Erica, Samantha, Isabella, Ivy
I'd agree with the daytime-TV idea in principle, but most of those names sound way too upscale, especially with the current vogue among yuppie parents for slightly old-fashioned names.

I vote for naming her after a celebrity who was popular around the time the character was born (I haven't got the foggiest idea who, of course, since I wasn't around forty years ago).

DrDeth
10-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Liirogue: Why not start a thread that asks "Names you associate with Niggers"? See what happens.

You used an demeaning bigoted term, and you're not even apologizing.

See you in the PIT.

Live Better Electrically!
10-01-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm with LonesomePolecat and DrDeth. The phrase "white trash" is not acceptable.

cpcake
02-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Definitely Nikki

madmonk28
02-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Definitely NikkiYou're responding to a 13 year old thread.

terentii
02-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Maureen.

bump
02-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Beulah is the name that comes to mind for me. Not sure why, but when I read your description, that's the name that came instantly to mind.

Doyle
02-24-2016, 03:24 PM
A friend and I considered this question 30+ years ago and came up with:

Pollard Gibson

No offense to any Pollard Gibsons out there.

terentii
02-24-2016, 03:26 PM
The phrase "white trash" is not acceptable.

I've encountered tons of white trash during my life. I wish it didn't exist, but it does.

Dale Sams
02-24-2016, 04:14 PM
Dale.

salinqmind
02-24-2016, 04:27 PM
GOT to be Crystal. Or Krystal.
Jolene.
Luann. (Lulu for short).
Dorothy Ann. (Dotty for short, or Dolly)
Becky Sue.
Betty. Nan. RuthAnn. Lisa. Lolly.

SUZ MAC
02-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Racer 72 you just made my day with your post ! I haven't laughed that hard in quite awhile. I read it in my head with just the right accent. That was awesome ! Ooopps, I just noticed this was a very old thread. Oh well. That was still funny as hell.

Johnny Angel
02-24-2016, 05:11 PM
Tanya. Pronounced TAN-ya.

madmonk28
02-24-2016, 06:14 PM
I've encountered tons of white trash during my life. I wish it didn't exist, but it does.
Again, you're replying to a 13 year old post, but many people feel the term white trash is racist because it implies that white folk are acting as trashy as blacks and they ought to know better; it is racist to people of color and offends zombies.

salinqmind
03-04-2016, 09:30 AM
There's been an arrest of a family of child pornographers. Two 'Tammys'. (nothing can beat 'Krystal' or 'Tiffany', though)

funky little lee
03-04-2016, 09:44 AM
You mean no one has mentioned Trig, Track, and Bristol?

Others I've seen on cheesy low-budget murder mystery shows: Tawny (female), Cheyenne (female) and Kanon (male).

DCnDC
03-04-2016, 10:35 AM
You're responding to a 13 year old thread.

Yeah, really. If this thread were white trash, it would have 2 kids by now!

DCnDC
03-04-2016, 10:38 AM
As for names, pretty much any first name with a hyphen in it, frequently of the -Ann or -Bob variety.

handsomeharry
03-06-2016, 06:14 PM
(nothing can beat 'Krystal' or 'Tiffany', though)

Brandy.

Read it and weep.

Also, I think "Lou" or "Lu" is pretty potent, WT wise.

Anything with "belle".

DJ Motorbike
03-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Hillary

OffByOne
03-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Loretta
Dawna
Fawna

Sitnam
03-08-2016, 10:14 AM
The Whites (https://youtube.com/watch?v=caUFERwZe5w)

Best Topics: picasso first communion swedish potatoe sausage opiate hallucinations conservative assholes how freon works soaking boots lipozene wikipedia wmv virus static car guy cameltoe stave staff burner phones target what is 808s padawan braid books like shogun slivovitz liquor pronounce sherbet existential poets personal minigun military actual furnace filter boxes walmart basket hotel caretaker walmart check receipt animutation wiki meineke pricing freeway vs interstate kitten crazy smoking bearberry quo definition scrabble rock song with yodeling can gas go bad do cigars get you high 380 vs 9mm recoil does lidocaine have cocaine in it oil leaking from spark plug how to throw a softball far magic eraser chemical burns what time does fedex start delivering in the morning best metal for armor tuna in water or oil why was voyager so bad peabody mansion oak brook haunted british shilling to dollar removing feeding tube after stroke how to make hookah pen juice how to take off toilet seat pork chops and applesauce quote cost to run fiber per mile why do cats like sitting on paper how to say happy birthday in italian to a woman car smells like dead animal freezing point of vinegar and water can dogs eat rotten meat clicking in left ear amtrak sleeper car review krystal lynn hedrick nude funny side effects commercial ride the white horse 80s song 50lb bag of rice are marines called soldiers how to get a masters degree without a bachelor's car wont start in park