PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette information for a new smoker

SonOfArizona
10-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Before I begin, I would like to just state that I don't care how much you hate smoking, smokers or cigarettes, but please remain true to the question. I don't want any no-smoking rants.

I recently have started to smoke cigarettes regularly due to the fact I am now in college and have joined a fraternity and have noticed that many of my brothers enjoy a smoke once in a while. I have been several cigarettes a day, never more than 4 in one day, for about a month now, but I still find that I really don't know much at all when it comes to the terminology, brands, methods, what have you.

So my first question is, what is the difference between the different kinds of cigarette varieties? I have tried both lights and regulars, and there is defintinely a difference. Marlboro Reds, for instance, I have found to be just far too strong, while the lights were much easier to take in. What is the difference here? Also what are menthols? I tried one the other day and was surprised to feel a minty sensation in the back of my throat, which was kind of cool at first but got irritating after a while.

What is the purpose of packing? Is there any?
What is the difference between regulars and the 100s?

So far my favorite cigarette that I have tried have been Camel Turkish Golds but I haven't tried the Turkish Jades. What is the difference? I have also liked Lucky Strike lights when I tried them, but again, the regular ones seemed a bit strong.

Is there anything else I should know so I don't sound like an idiot talking about cigarettes?

And now a poll question, what is your favorite brand and variety of cigarettes?

Thanks-

SpaceDog
10-15-2003, 06:15 AM
OK, no rants here. But as a smoker myself my best advice to you is don't start or stop now. Believe me, I wish someone had given me that advice a few years back (or, more precisely, I wish I'd followed it). I hesitated before answering this 'cos I don't want to encourage you but I figure that we may as well try and answer the questions.

Originally posted by SonOfArizona
So my first question is, what is the difference between the different kinds of cigarette varieties? I have tried both lights and regulars, and there is defintinely a difference. Marlboro Reds, for instance, I have found to be just far too strong, while the lights were much easier to take in. What is the difference here?
Different brands use different tobacco (or different mixes of tobacco). Farmed from different places, dried with different methods (I guess), and picked at different times. It's like tea (or whiskey if you prefer) that each brand aims for it's own 'flavour'.

Cigarettes from different countries also have specific tastes that I guess appeal more to the natives of that country. For instance I find UK cigs to taste far more chemically than US ones, where as European ones tend to be much stronger by default. In addition even recognised brands are slightly different when bought in different places (this may be to do with the legality of what they can add).

In addition there are a bunch of chemicals used to change the flavour and the burning properties of cigarettes (i.e. they add stuff so that cigs don't go out on their own, unlike cigars which do).

Lights, Milds, Mediums, etc, there's some debate about the health implications (see here (http://lowtarexposed.com/))but basically lights are supposed to have less nicotene and tar per cig than normals. In the UK the amounts are printed on the side of the pack. Some cigs have holes in the filter that allow clean air to mix with the smoke to lessen the strength (many smokers cover these while smoking, either consiously or not).

Also what are menthols? I tried one the other day and was surprised to feel a minty sensation in the back of my throat, which was kind of cool at first but got irritating after a while.
Same thing with menthol added to the tobacco. Menthol is in a lot of throat medicenes and stuff. Hell since I'm here have the snopes link (http://snopes.com/business/alliance/menthol.asp) to a menthol Urban Legend. I think the point of menthol is to make the smoke 'feel' cooler and also to numb the throat a bit.

Packing -- dunno, doubt it. I've always thought hundreds where just longer -- maybe 100mm long ? I could be wrong about that.

So far my favorite cigarette that I have tried have been Camel Turkish Golds but I haven't tried the Turkish Jades. What is the difference? I have also liked Lucky Strike lights when I tried them, but again, the regular ones seemed a bit strong.

Is there anything else I should know so I don't sound like an idiot talking about cigarettes?

Dunno really. There are many types of flavoured tobacco but they don't often come pre-rolled. There are clove cigarettes which are nice once in a while (and even worse for you than normal ones, plus more expensive). If you're really interested you could find a good tobacco shop and mooch around to see what they've got.

Finally I'll say that I've always been told (or believed) that rolling tabacco and cigars were better for you than cigs 'cos there's less (or no) chemicals used. Dunno if someone more informed could chime in. However not smoking at all is better for you than all of that -- but you knew that.

For what it's worth I smoke Marlboro Mediums (when I can get 'em).

SD

Zorro
10-15-2003, 06:17 AM
Menthol cigarettes are the alcopops of cigarettes. They just made of tobacco laced with menthol, so that they taste like sweeties (up to a point) but have all the tarry-nicotiney goodness of normal cigarettes. Also, they're for girls, so I'd drop them.

100s are just longer, that's all.

There isn't much point in packing (if by this you mean tapping the packet before opening it) except that in certain brands the tobacco is rather loose, causing it to burn faster. If you compact the tobacco a bit, your cigarette may last longer. I say that but since they mix gun cotton into the things to make them burn faster anyway this may be an utterly useless habit. It's sort of satisfying to see a few millimetres of empty cigarette paper though. You can feel good about yet another successful cigarette compacting operation.

Don't worry about only smoking 4 a day: you'll soon be able to deal with a whole pack! It may seem daunting at first, but one day you'll crack it! It helps if you drink large amounts of beer at the same time.

Finally, my favourite brand is Gauloises Blondes Legeres. Unfortunately I quit recently and I can't have one.

Welcome to the smoking fraternity. You have years of tobacco-derived pleasure in front of you. Bear in mind that it will fuck you up though.

rodmunch
10-15-2003, 06:35 AM
If all your "brothers" jumped off a cliff would you do it?

thatDDperson
10-15-2003, 06:47 AM
If you must smoke, be an original. Roll your own from a chemical free tobacco (American Spirit comes to mind; there are others) and avoid the hundreds of additives and noxious chemicals in commercially made ciggies.

Be aware that the formaldehyde alone in commercially made ciggies can seriously screw with your body. Also, for the full effect of the smoking experience, there is nothing quite like pulling out a cigarette case and selecting one rolled specifically for the alloted time. (Thin, short-packed for when you're in a hurry and don't have a lot of time to waste, a fully packed one for leisurely puffin' yer brains out with the guys.)

You can buy a roller so that the cigs don't look like joints. You can even get 'tubes' with filters, but if you're gonna smoke, be a smoker and disdain filters as 'girly affectations for someone who's not man enough to take their tobacco straight.'

By choosing to addict yourself to a toxic substance, using a chemical-free tobacco will at least give you a fighting chance to avoid the worst of the full body damage, and confine most of the toxicity to your lungs. You're smoking to go along with the crowd and be cool, right? So be ultra-cool, and avoid having that nasty burned chemical smell on your body all the time.

Four or so a day is where most addicted smokers think they're safe starting out. My last advice is to buy life insurance NOW, because you can still pass as a non-smoker (not enough damage on x-ray to show yet) but it will be much more expensive when you're a pack a day man. I can buy ANY insurance for less now than my smoking partner. He's male, and has smoked for almost 2/3 of his life, but never been ill. I'm female, and have had three kinds of cancer, one of which is very rare and always terminal, as in totally uncurable, but have not smoked since I was 22.

No rant, just facts. Oh, and your wardrobe will wear out faster, you'll spend twice as much on dry-cleaning, and your cars will be worth less on trade-in, not to mention that you'll get the crappy hotel rooms...all your choice.

antechinus
10-15-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey smokings cool.

All that stuff about erectile dysfunction (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11329815&dopt=Abstract) is just conspiracy talk.

The purpose of the packaging is to keep in those sweet, nutty Kentucky aromas.

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 06:55 AM
Before I begin, I would like to just state that I don't care how much you hate smoking, smokers or cigarettes, but please remain true to the question. I don't want any no-smoking rants.Ah! the innocence of youth...

thatDDperson
10-15-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Mangetout
Ah! the innocence of youth...

Yeah, but he won't look that young for long.

Smoking puts enough crap into your bloodstream that the oxygen that nourishes your skin and preserves the underlying support for your facial skin is replaced by stuff that kills it off, thereby providing that aged, wrinkled...OK, cured, as in smoked (like bacon) facial skin you see on long term smokers.

herman_and_bill
10-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Go hard-core, Camel non-filtered, you will get used to them and before long you will be up to 2 packs a day and more!!!
You will be the last person any one will want to bum a smoke from, and when you toss the butt you won't leave a trail of filters in your wake.
Whatever you do don't smoke 100s, they make you look effeminate.

Early Out
10-15-2003, 07:25 AM
Ex-smoker checking in. Don't be misled by claims that "light" cigarettes (reduced tar and nicotine) are somehow less dangerous. I don't have a cite ready at hand, but I clearly recall some very reputable studies that found that addicted smokers, when smoking "lights," simply smoked more of them, sucked the smoke in more vigorously, and held it in their lungs longer. In short, "lights" are just a slightly defective nicotine delivery system, and the addict will do what is necessary to get the dose he needs.

Listen, why don't you take up something less addictive, like, say, heroin?

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 07:34 AM
Honestly SonOfArizona; I'm still chuckling at your opening paragraph; it's like if I went to the zoo and said:

"Before I Climb into the tiger cage, I would like to just state that I don't care that you are all large, hungry carnivores. I just don't want to be eaten alive, OK?"

Scarlett67
10-15-2003, 07:43 AM
I thought the SDMB didn't allow us to discuss methods of suicide.

II Gyan II
10-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Mangetout
"Before I Climb into the tiger cage, I would like to just state that I don't care that you are all large, hungry carnivores. I just don't want to be eaten alive, OK?"

Nowhere in the OP do I see the author requesting methods to render cigarettes harmless.

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Gyan9
Mangetout

Nowhere in the OP do I see the author requesting methods to render cigarettes harmless. Good, because that's not what I'm talking about either - I'm referring to his naive hope (expressed in the opening paragraph) that nobody is going to preach at him over the dangers of smoking.

Uncommon Sense
10-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Honestly SonOfArizona; I'm still chuckling at your opening paragraph; it's like if I went to the zoo and said:

Well, this is GQ, not GA (General Advice).

Actually, it would be more like "When I jump into a tiger cage, what should I expect from the large, hungry, carnivores? I don`t want to be eaten alive but I`m aware that it may happen, OK?."

;)

II Gyan II
10-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Good, because that's not what I'm talking about either - I'm referring to his naive hope (expressed in the opening paragraph) that nobody is going to preach at him over the dangers of smoking.

My bad.

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
No problem.

Ellis Dee
10-15-2003, 08:00 AM
100's are for women. They have exactly the same amount of tobacco as regulars. They just have longer filters, which make them look more refined, like back in the day when people used those long cigarette holder things. The official joke is "100's are Queen sized. Same as a King, but with a bigger butt."

People who pack do so for two reasons. First, it evens out the draw. Second, it makes them easier to light. I personally can't stand packed cigarettes. (Makes the draw too tight for my tastes.)

Stick with common brands, so that you can find them anywhere you happen to be. Mmmmm, Camel Lights.

Instead of cigarettes, you might like cigars. You don't inhale them, and if you then switch to cigarettes you can avoid inhaling and cite your early cigar habit as to why.

Right now is the only time in your life you can quit. Within a year, it will impossible for the rest of your life. Just sayin.

Uncommon Sense
10-15-2003, 08:02 AM
By the way, I smoke about one pack per month. Social smoker.
I`ll go two, three, four weeks without one, and then I`ll buy a pack. Two or three cigs a day untill the pack is gone. Then another month before the next one. Rinse, Repeat.
I know most people don`t have that much control (or lack thereof). Usually, you end up with a pack a day habit.
I`ve been dong this for fifteen years. I think the longest I`ve gone without one was about 6 months.

ccwaterback
10-15-2003, 08:04 AM
I can quit any time too. I only smoke 3 packs a day.

You have a great future of sinus infections, headaches and bronchitis to look forward to.

Twenty years from now you will look back at this moment as one of the worst decisions you ever made in your life.

But hey, that's twenty years from now, who cares.

Light 'em up Johnny, be cool.

Gary T
10-15-2003, 10:56 AM
I always figured it was to compact the tobacco, which sometimes seems to get loosened up a bit from riding around in the pack. Cecil did a column on this, which got many replies, and there were quite a few various, and often contradictory, reasons proposed.

Once upon a time there was a more or less standard length of cigarettes, and then a longer size was introduced. It was called king-sized. It allowed a modern-length filter (as opposed to a cork tip) while retaining about the same amount of tobacco. Of course, king-sized cigarettes were often offered in filtered and unfiltered versions, with the unfiltered obviously having more tobacco. After many decades, king-size became the new standard, and that's what the overwhelming majority of todays cigs are. The last genuine regular (noticeably shorter than 99% of what you see) cigarettes I saw were Camels, unfiltered of course (I imagine they might still be available, but I don't know). Anyway, although today's cigs are technically king-size, almost everyone considers that the normal length and calls them regular.

Then a number of years ago, some marketing genius dreamed up 100's, which are longer than king-size. As mentioned above, their length is 100 mm. King-size are about 87 mm, I believe.

fezpp
10-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Early Out
Don't be misled by claims that "light" cigarettes (reduced tar and nicotine) are somehow less dangerous. I don't have a cite ready at hand
Low Tar Exposed (http://lowtarexposed.org/thetruth/) is a campaign currently running in the UK warning about low tar/light cigarettes.

lissener
10-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Also, I've heard that pounding railroad spikes into your head looks really cool, and distracts those anti-smoking dogooders from your smoking. Plus you can hang coats and stuff on the spikes, if you pound them in at the right angle, and whenever you set off a metal detector you can give the wageslave with the wand a blank stare and go, "What?" Total crackup.

newcrasher
10-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Well then I guess it would be innappropriate to tell of my mother in law who recently died gasping for air that would not fill her emphyzema ravaged lungs until she died terrified with her eyes open.

I also will not tell you about the guy next door who's widow I cut the grass for since he was incapacitated by a morphine drip to ease the pain of dieing of lung cancer.

I also will not ask him if his college grat boy buddies will cut the grass for his widow when he is incapacitated by smoking related disease.

I will also not tell him how I worked a contract at Phillip Morris and it was full of the most unhealthy looking people ever assembled under one roof.

I will also refrain from telling him almost every 50 year old, pack a day smoker trying to quit started off as a young guy trying to be cool who swore he would only have a couple every day, and maybe a few when he was drinking...

Chefguy
10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
What I think is really cool about it is those folks who can breathe through a hole in the throat, and get to talk into that thing that makes their voices sound like Darth Vader.

You go, Sonny boy; 100s, regular, lite, menthol, it doesn't make one little difference. The end result is the same: money out of your pocket; money into their pockets; and you get to be somewhat of a social outcast.

By the way, cut the number of chicks who are going to be interested in you by at least half. So if you're not all that successful now, you're going to be talking to the hand quite a lot.

World Eater
10-15-2003, 01:54 PM
I just quit a few months back cold turkey after a pack a day for 10 years. I started in high school for pretty much the same reasons you are. I tell you straight from the heart, don't start, it ain't worth it.

SonOfArizona
10-15-2003, 02:12 PM
First I'd like to point out that I didn't start smoking "to be cool". I started smoking because I tried it one night when I was drunk, and the buzz was really enjoyable, and now I like to smoke once in a while. I know that this is how it all starts, people in my fraternity who are heavy smokers tell me this all the time. It isn't about peer pressure, but about me.

Being a smoker opens a whole new world of gestures and expressions. There are so many examples I could name. When there is a party going on and I don't really feel like making an effort to meet a bunch of people who I wont remember the next day or maybe I want to take a break, I can now go out for a smoke, and not look like a loner, but look like I am actually doing something and am deep in thought. You know the look I am talking about, that staring deep off into space look that only a smoker can make without looking like someone who is simply anti-social.
Also, its a base for social interaction. I can't tell you how many guys in my fraternity I have gotten to know better simply for being able to bum off a cigarette and smoke with them. Plus, someone mentioned that I will have trouble getting girls. Quite the contrary, I find that if I am smoking a cigarette, girls will come up to me to ask for one, and smoke with me. It gives them a reason to talk to you, and for you a reason to talk to them.

The reasons for smoking arent all about physical or mental addiction, but rather they are pretty vast. Its a societal thing. It makes you appear laid back and not so uptight. Just the way you stand when you are smoking a cigarette proves this, you know the knees bent, leaned up against a wall stature. It gives you something to do with your hands, making you look like your doing something when you're really not. Now if theres someone you dont like you can blow smoke in their face, or if you want to look determined to do something, you can take a big last puff and flick the cigarette with haste.

So don't give me all these warnings about not starting now, because I know what the dangers are and if I fall into an addiction, I can blame nobody but myself. However, as I now stand, I just simply want to know more about the basic stuff concerned with cigarettes.

-SonofArizona

Dung Beetle
10-15-2003, 02:43 PM

I thought this was the funniest part.

Rick
10-15-2003, 03:19 PM
It makes you appear laid back and not so uptight. Just the way you stand when you are smoking a cigarette proves this, you know the knees bent, leaned up against a wall stature. It gives you something to do with your hands, making you look like your doing something when you're really not.
-SonofArizona

Oh gawd, please stop. this is the funniest part. To a majority of the people (non-smokers) you don't look laid back and not so uptight. You look [list=a]
Stupid beyond all belief
Like you have an oral fixation
Proof that it does not take brains to get into college
[/list=a]

But hey it's your life. Live fast, and die a hacking phlem filled death. :)

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Nonsense! Cigarettes are Cheap, nutritious and stylish (http://geocities.com/mmemym/bits1/fal0019.htm)

Cervaise
10-15-2003, 04:14 PM
It makes you appear laid back and not so uptight.Actually, it makes you look like a junkie.

lissener
10-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Yup, that's what I always think, every time I see some fool without a cigarette: Man, I think, he sure is uptight.

Also, dude, memorizing a bunch of bumperstickers makes it seem like you have something to say when actually your brain is rattling around in your skull like a BB in a boxcar.

Plus, if you hang a cell phone off your belt, even if it's fake, people will think you have friends. You can pretend to answer it every once in a while; tell people it's on "vibrate."

newcrasher
10-15-2003, 04:53 PM
http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=217540

I started this thread just for you Arizona...so people can tell you how they really feel without offending the sensibilities of this forum.

Dude...don't smoke.

Apoptosis
10-15-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey SonOfArizona,

I realize that nobody here is going to convince you to quit smoking, but:
you can take a big last puff and flick the cigarette with haste.
Please please please do not do this. It's adding insult to injury: not only do you give me lung cancer, but you also give me the pleasure of viewing your numerous cigarette butts littering the ground.

-Apoptosis

Left Hand of Dorkness
10-15-2003, 04:59 PM
I'm lucky. After my grandmother died, my grandfather took up smoking again, pretty heavily, and it was clear to me from a young age that he was doing it to kill himself out of grief for his wife's death.

Cigarettes have never looked to me like anything beyond a suicide method. I'm not speaking metaphorically, here. They're what you use to kill yourself if you're not allowed to admit to yourself what you're doing.

No appeal.
Daniel

vd
10-15-2003, 05:13 PM
I was thinking of taking up smoking, but I really don't like the taste. So I was thinking of starting with the patch to ease myself into it. ;)

plagarized from some long forgotten source

Seven
10-15-2003, 05:21 PM
This board gets more retarded everyday.

The OP asked to cut with the anti-smoke rants, but some of you nitwits just can't seem to let it go. Fine, you hate smoking. Fine, you think it's stupid. But show some repect to the requests of the OP.

There is nothing I hate more then the anti-smoker nazi league. Keep your mightier then thou attitude out of this thread. (As was the request in the OP)

Let people do what they want. It is their choice. Smoking as been part of human culture for a long time, and will continue. Either learn to live with it or move to a country where cigarettes, pipes and cigars are illegal and you can group in town centre and burn an effigy of Joe Camel chanting "2nd hand smoke? What about the children?".

I think he asked some valid points about the differences in cigarettes. Either answer them or repect the OP's request and shut it.

whatami
10-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by newcrasher
http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=217540

I started this thread just for you Arizona...so people can tell you how they really feel without offending the sensibilities of this forum.

Dude...don't smoke.

At least you started a thread to discuss that stuff. Lots of other people decided that because it's smoking, the normal rules of GQ must not apply.

DrDeth
10-15-2003, 05:37 PM
If you really want to look "cool", and also get the "high" of nicotine- without the dangers of lung cancer- why not try what Ellis said- cigars- or even pipes. They certainly have a better "taste", cigars say "rich (addicted) dude" and pipes say "thinking (addicted) dude". Cigs just say "addicted dude". They cost more, so you are unlikely to smoke as much. My Dad could also suck on an unlit pipe and get most of the "fix" he needed. Not to mention good pipe tobacco (and really good cigars) doesn't smell anywhere near as nasty as cigs do. So, when your "brothers' light up, you'll still have something to do, and they will admire you for your "maturity".

Note that cigars and pipes are not "safe"- just "safeR". It is pretty easy to remove a mouth cancer, as opposed to lung cancer. :rolleyes: Also, it seems that being an "occasional" smoker is much easier with cigars & pipes, as opposed to cigs. Cigs are designed to be a drug delivery system, all sorts of things are added to enehance & control you "fix". Thus, it is less likely that you will get "hooked" if you stay with cigars.

I'll also note that now smokers are in the minority. And that you are in college where the "mating game" is nearly as important as learning. And that non-smokers rarely date smokers. Thus, dude, you cut out 50>60% of the female population right there. Dammit, dude, if the above health arguements don't sway you (and why shoudl they, your young & immortal, right? :dubious:) that one should. Altho- to give the devil his due- Sonofarizona is correct in that smoking does give one an "in" to meet other smokers.

"Packing" is really done mostly to look "cool" and make dudes pay attention to you- since smoking is pretty silent, and packing makes noise.

Menthols are also heavily marketed to our Black brethren.

Cool thing about cigars is that there are whole magazines devoted to them. Read a couple, and you can sound experienced. They have a "mystique".

I hope my post actually answered your query to some extent without being too preachy on the 'evils".

hybrid_dogfish
10-15-2003, 05:46 PM
If you are gonna smoke (which seems to be the decision you have made) the only 'advice' i can offer (other than to rethink your position, which for me to give would be hippocracy of the highest level) is to leave a long stub, since the amount of tar and other general crap increases the further down the cigarette you get(according to the government in various public health broadcasts for which i cant find a cite ATM). I smoke about 1 pack a month, generally about 5 at a time, and somehow convince myself that i drink less when I smoke, so it is justified. I think i heard it referred to as cognitive dissonance (http://tip.psychology.org/festinge.html) . I find that rollups taste better and make me fel less bad the following morning.
Seriously though, the best advice i could give you (and me) is STOP NOW, but that aint likely to happen, is it?

Derleth
10-15-2003, 05:52 PM
I say, light up! Fill your lungs with the rich smoke! Ignore the whiners and don't worry about the future, for we all know it shall never come. If you choose to smoke twenty packs a day, more power to you. Light up a whole line of thick Cuban cigars and smoke five-six at once!

Not only will you reduce your term on this horrible stinking planet, but your last days will be packed: You'll learn all about oncology, chemistry, and psychology! Oncology from when your tumors grow and metastasize, and you begin to feel the glow of new life taking root in every corner of your being. Chemistry from when the doctors pump you full of all those neat drugs, and you learn exactly what your body thinks of chemotherapy and morphine. And psychology from how your friends, who have been so helpful with a light before, react to your `condition', how everyone avoids the `C-word' and tries to ignore the really nice-looking plastic tubes going in and out of your emaciated, corpselike body.

Smoke up, buddy. It's your life.

SonOfArizona
10-15-2003, 05:53 PM
How are menthols marketed towards black people?

Ike Witt
10-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DrDeth
If you really want to look "cool", and also get the "high" of nicotine- without the dangers of lung cancer- why not try what Ellis said- cigars- or even pipes. They certainly have a better "taste", cigars say "rich (addicted) dude" and pipes say "thinking (addicted) dude". Cigs just say "addicted dude". They cost more, so you are unlikely to smoke as much.

Better yet, he should go with dip. Nothing says cool and laid back like somebody spitting foul brown liquid every 30 seconds.

alice_in_wonderland
10-15-2003, 06:00 PM
You could try clove cigarettes. You still look trendy, but don't have the nicotine and tar going into your lungs.

If trendyness is what you want, cloves should just about fill the bill.

SonOfArizona
10-15-2003, 06:01 PM
Alright I have had enough. This is rediculous. Does anybody follow the rules of this forum? I asked a question. I expected some mature, detailed answers, perhaps maybe a discussion on what cigarettes are the best. Instead, I got a bunch of whining, irritating comments with maybe a couple genuine posts mixed in between. I don't want your opinion on smoking. I never did. I don't care about what you think on that regard. I said this from the get - go. I just wanted to know about cigarettes. That is it. Quite frankly, some of you are more likely to die from being an elitist a-hole to the wrong person than I am from smoking. Sorry if what I just said makes this something that belongs in the pit, but if the people replying to my question can't follow the GQ rules, why should I?

lissener
10-15-2003, 06:11 PM
And of course will kill you even quicker: you can absorb up to almost twice as much nicotine and tar from clove cigarettes as from all-tobacco cigarettes. Plus (http://flowering-tobacco.com/associated/clove_cigarette_death.htm) there are other dangers unique to clove cigarettes.

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 06:13 PM
The problem is, I believe, that the first two paragraphs of your original post come across as flippant and provoke this sort of response; if you'd just asked the question straight, maybe the signal-to-noise ratio would have been better.

Seven
10-15-2003, 06:16 PM
SonOfArizona: Bashing smokers is very PC right now. If bashing black people were PC these same retards would be wearing white hoods. The anti-smoking rants are just allowed hate. That's all. It's the sign of a simple mind with the childish need to feel better then someone else.

It seems to me like you are aware of the risks involved in smoking. Given that it IS your life, you should be allowed to take those risks considering smoking is not illegal.

It's the same as if you decided to have a few beers (or wine) a day. Drinking AND smoking are not the best things for your body. But, it is your body.

Just ignore these retards. It's odvious they are SO simple minded they can't even follow the rules.

Seven
10-15-2003, 06:20 PM
The problem is, I believe, that the first two paragraphs of your original post come across as flippant and provoke this sort of response; if you'd just asked the question straight, maybe the signal-to-noise ratio would have been better.

I call bull.

This thread would have turned out the same no matter HOW he asked the question.

The point is, it is very trendy to hate smokers right now. Like I said above, if it were PC to do so these people filled with hate would just be bashing black people with their little white hoods.

Derleth
10-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Seven
Just ignore these retards. It's odvious they are SO simple minded they can't even follow the rules. Neither can you, apparently.

alice_in_wonderland
10-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Apparently, neither can you Seven.

Anyhoo - about the clove ciggies - I was unaware they were more noxious. Anyhow - they smell better for bystanders, which is something at least.

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 06:33 PM
I call bull.

This thread would have turned out the same no matter HOW he asked the question.[b]Call whatever you like; I know for a fact I'd have approached it with a different attitude if it had been presented purely as a factual question, so there's at least one little bit that would have been different.

[b]The point is, it is very trendy to hate smokers right now. Like I said above, if it were PC to do so these people filled with hate would just be bashing black people with their little white hoods. To be honest, I didn't notice a lot of actual hate in this thread; bemusement, astonishment, sarcasm, smug amusement, plenty, but hate? Surely that's stretching a little, isn't it?

Seven
10-15-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm not on an anti-smoke rant. I'm attempting to inform the OP of the troll-like rants of hate filled non-smokers.

I think this is a good thread and I'd like it to continue WITHOUT the hate.

Q.E.D.
10-15-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm not on an anti-smoke rant. I'm attempting to inform the OP of the troll-like rants of hate filled non-smokers. For your information, there are several [smokers in this thread advising the OP not to start.

As a former smokler myself, I'm absolutely NOT going to answer the "factual questions" asked by the OP. If he wants to start, that's his business, but I'm not about to help him. It took me 20 years to quit, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I wish people like those in this thread had been around to talk me out of starting in the first place.

Speaker for the Dead
10-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Dude, that's like shooting a murderer (a while after the fact) and claiming that if he didn't obey the law, why would you have to?

Dag Otto
10-15-2003, 06:42 PM
This thread would have turned out the same no matter HOW he asked the question.

Yeah, but you have to admit that the OP's questions were pretty simple - What's a menthol? What are 100's? Once those are answered, well, what the hell?

Speaker for the Dead
10-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Er, that was in response to Arizona's last post.

alice_in_wonderland
10-15-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm not on an anti-smoke rant. I'm attempting to inform the OP of the troll-like rants of hate filled non-smokers.

Well:

a) I think you must be reading another thread

and

b) It's just as much against board rules to call people trolls as it is to get snarky in GQ. And frankly, you've been snarkier than anyone else here, IMHO.

That, of course, is neither here nor there.

The OP has received answers to his questions, as well as admonishments about his intended actions. Had he asked about cliff diving, he probably would have received the same admonishments about the dangers of his intended course of action, but you wouldn't have started in with some Anti-Cliffjumpers conspiracy.

Calm down. You're the one railroading this.

Anyhoo - SoA, for the really "Cool" look my understanding is that Malboroughs are the way to go. Folks here that smoke will request them as a gift from the US when I go, and if something is cool in Canada, it's cool EVERYWHERE. :D

Mangetout
10-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm attempting to inform the OP of the troll-like rants of hate filled non-smokers.
I thought I'd go back to the start and look for all this hate you're talking about; scrolling backwards, I did notice that there certainly were a couple or three pointed statements toward the end of page 1, but the first explicit expression of hatred in the thread comes before all those and it reads like this:

This board gets more retarded everyday.

The OP asked to cut with the anti-smoke rants, but some of you nitwits just can't seem to let it go. Fine, you hate smoking. Fine, you think it's stupid. But show some repect to the requests of the OP.

There is nothing I hate more then the anti-smoker nazi league. Keep your mightier then thou attitude out of this thread.
(emphasis mine)I'll leave you to work out who posted it.

Bill H.
10-15-2003, 07:00 PM
I expected some mature, detailed answers, perhaps maybe a discussion on what cigarettes are the best. (blah blah) I don't want your opinion on smoking. I never did. I don't care about (blah blah blah) I just wanted to know about cigarettes. That is it.
The thing is, friend: everybody here knows you're not listening and they're not talking to you. You threw out a joke and they're laughing at it amongst themselves. Oh, some of them want a better life for you, I suppose. But most are just observing the truism "youth is wasted on the young."

NajaNivea
10-15-2003, 08:26 PM
So my first question is, what is the difference between the different kinds of cigarette varieties?
Well, I for one will chime in with some actual information. You're an adult. Do what you want to do. As someone already mentioned, the different brands have different tobacco blends, additives, and thus, flavors. Premium brand cigarettes, such as Camels, Marlboros, etc taste much smoother, while the lower quality cigarettes such as GPCs and all are, in my opinion, harsh and nasty. Hey, if you're going to pick up a rotten habit, you might as well do it right. Life's too short to smoke crappy cigarettes. I personally smoke Kamel (with a K) Reds. I would smoke Kamel Red Lights simply because I'm an art kid and it's a Mondrian in disguise, but I happen to like the heavier Reds. Kamel Reds are smoother tasting than Marlboro reds, but you'd probably like Kamel Red Lights better anyway, plus it's a cool looking pack which doesn't scream "I'm smoking lights! I'm a girl!" if that concerns you ;)

Also what are menthols? I tried one the other day and was surprised to feel a minty sensation in the back of my throat, which was kind of cool at first but got irritating after a while.

Menthos contain... well, menthol. I find them noxious and disgusting, personally. A friend of mine who is a very dedicated pack a day smoker will switch to menthols when she gets sick, because she can't smoke regular ones. The menthols are, apparently, upper respiratory infection compatible :rolleyes:

I always pack my cigarettes, the tobacco generally settles a good 1/4 inch. I find they burn slower (longer?) than when I smoke an unpacked cigarette.

So far my favorite cigarette that I have tried have been Camel Turkish Golds but I haven't tried the Turkish Jades.

Mr. Armadillo likes Turkish Golds. They're okay, I don't particularly dislike them, but I wouldn't go out and buy a pack myself. I prefer Kamel Reds almost to the exclusion of everything else, and I don't smoke so much that I have to buy a pack of whatevers if a particular convenience store doesn't carry Kamel Reds. I generally smoke a pack about every two weeks. Often I forget I have them and they get stale before I finish a pack. I just moved to Oregon, and it appears there is one store in the entire state that carries them, so I figure my occasional social smoke habit is soon to end anyway. :(

Enjoy your college years, nearly all my friends from college, both random acquaintences and dear, lasting friends I met through the social joys of the cancer-stick. Okay, that may be exaggerating a bit, but most of them I really did meet hanging out outside the dorm hall or art building, puffing away. I even ended up living with a girl I met puffing away outside the art building. We spent the next two years being smoking buddies between classes, then moved in together our senior year. It was a great year.

~mixie

gentle
10-15-2003, 10:20 PM
So my first question is, what is the difference between the different kinds of cigarette varieties? I have tried both lights and regulars, and there is defintinely a difference.
"The average American suffers from two delusions, one that God is dead and the other is that there is a difference between brands of cigarettes." (Philip K. Dick)

newcrasher
10-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Alright I have had enough. This is rediculous. Does anybody follow the rules of this forum? I asked a question. I expected some mature, detailed answers, perhaps maybe a discussion on what cigarettes are the best. Instead, I got a bunch of whining, irritating comments with maybe a couple genuine posts mixed in between. I don't want your opinion on smoking. I never did. I don't care about what you think on that regard. I said this from the get - go. I just wanted to know about cigarettes. That is it. Quite frankly, some of you are more likely to die from being an elitist a-hole to the wrong person than I am from smoking. Sorry if what I just said makes this something that belongs in the pit, but if the people replying to my question can't follow the GQ rules, why should I?

Sorry to have offended, but the goal of the Academic Pursuits Message Board is to fight ignorance, and you seem to have it in spades...

Duck Duck Goose
10-15-2003, 11:25 PM
originally posted by DrDeth:
Menthols are also heavily marketed to our Black brethren.
originally posted by SonofArizona:
How are menthols marketed towards black people?
I would like to know this, too. I don't pay *that* much attention to cigarette advertising, but I wasn't aware of menthol cigarettes as being a "black" thing.

NeSBiT
10-15-2003, 11:35 PM
You're not automatically ignorant if you smoke.

When I first started smoking I tried a wide variety of tobacco products, but I finally settled on Marlboro Light Menthols. I just prefer a minty flavor but I don't like the smoke to be harsh, I also smoke with my lips parted so I take in air along with the smoke (my friends always thought this was weird). Anyways, here's a list of some tobacco products:

Bidis: first thing I ever smoked. They are imported (that means you can only find them in smoke shops) and are basically tobacco flakes rolled in a leaf without a filter. They come in different flavors, they are also pretty harsh and will give you a pretty good buzz if you aren't a regular smoker.

cloves: These are cigarettes made with around 2/3s tobacco and 1/3 cloves. They taste great, smell great, and the smell tends to attract plenty of attention. If you smoke these at a party you will have quite a few people approach you to either bum one or start a conversation about cloves. They are imported and can be bought in smoke shops (they are about twice as expensive as regular cigarettes).

pipe tobacco: The best thing about smoking a pipe is that pipe tobacco can be dirt cheap, good pipe tobacco costs about the same as cigarettes. Pipes smell great and you tend to smoke less tobacco because they are more efficient than cigarettes. No chemicals.

cigars: Just a big unfiltered cigarette. Range in price from less than 50 cents to hundreds of dollars a piece. They go out if you don't keep puffing on them and they are more difficult to light than cigarettes because of the lack of added chemicals and the circumferance of the cigar.

cigarettes: Other differences have been listed, but some have specialized filters that let in air or are recessed to prevent stains on your teeth. I have recently seen a cigarette that vaporizes the tobacco rather than burning it, which is supposedly healthier.

Smoking nowadays is a whole subculture, some would even say a counterculture. We have our own rituals, methods of socialization, and problems (such as being discriminated against)

That is all.

disponibilite
10-16-2003, 12:29 AM
I make my own cigarettes---bought off the internet and mailed to me. Costs about 65 cents a pack that way.

Of course you actually have to make them. Takes about 5 minutes for me to make a pack of absolutley lousily made cigs---------or about 10 minutes to make a pack of cigarettes that are indistinguishable from store bought.---at least in appearance.

I started making my own cigarettes originally because I always said I would never pay more than $2 for a packung. But the real advantage is not price. After smoking your own personally hand made cigarettes with REAL tobacco--------the store bought kind just taste like a bunch of nasty chemicals (which they are).

(Of course smoking is a very nasty habit that you should not do. More reasons against than for as many posters have already said.)

But still and all any smoker who pays $4 a pack for store bought cigarettes when he can make his own for 65 cents with much better tobacco and almost totally chemical free-----------is too dumb to seriously consider walking around.

MonkeyMensch
10-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Menthols. Ecch.

It's like smoking toothpaste, as I says to the boys at The Office.

On the other hand, if that's all I can bum it's not so bad after all.

I'm about a half pack a dayer, but I'm cutting back. I miss the buzz cited by SonofArizona. When I go a few days without smoking I get a much better buzz from the first cigarette. And that buzz was the reason I started in the first place. I going to cut back to continue? Go figure...

As a quick aside (no ranting) I get a kick out of the term "drug delivery system." Isn't that kind of like a cup of coffee or a can of Budweiser?

Nice thread, though...

Buck The Diver
10-16-2003, 12:51 AM
Am I the only one hearing a loud "WHOOSH" in this thread?

bibliophage
10-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Let's try to remember that this is not the preaching forum, folks. The activity is dangerous, yes, but not of the immediacy to justify that sort of response in this forum. Factual questions were asked, but only a few posters bothered to answer them. That said, most of the factual questions have been answered by now, so I'll close this thread. Questions about the best brand, etc., are better suited to an IMHO thread, if you dare. Railing against smoking and smokers belongs in the Pit.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

Best Topics: foolkiller submarine storing sulfuric acid angel of chastity overstock vehicles collapsible circuit tight sleeping bag lowes shoplifting code origin of cum pure benzoyl peroxide avia dental com ww2 draft exemptions colitas flowers cooked cum stereo vinyl elevator fire keys units gm monologues shakespeare 454 to liters smc file daesh pronounced expelling iud symptoms therapedic vs tempurpedic home video songs davey deals banned gulliver's travels porn human dwarfs pet marten kind eyes motorcycle cc dutch colonialism si podemos n-alvorix-rs880-uatx (alvorix) motherboard old can opener key skype random friend request wolverine regenerates from a single drop of blood how hard can a human bite kill a tree with bleach who says hello wisconsin on that 70's show english words that sound australian writing a check without cents how to keep sharpie on plastic phone case what is the difference between middle school and junior high 13 year old looks 18 do i have to attend graduation ceremony brother and sister cuddling is all clad worth the price saran wrap in oven merry christmas merry christmas song how to pronounce vermicelli newspaper route jobs pay military entry level separation why can't i let her go day 8 no alcohol driving a tractor trailer how do you pronounce tso scissors to cut skin tags salt on a birds tail difference between king crab legs and snow crab legs ibm stock splits history slap a jap superman how many generations in 200 years word 2010 turn off track changes how much does it cost to blow up a picture best way to reheat fried fish how long to leave dye in hair