PDA

View Full Version : Flocky nocky nihilification

Lu-b-lu
10-21-2003, 12:42 AM
Help me if you can! The challenge has been set.....I am to find the meaning of the word (or words) flocky nocky nihilification . I have no idea if I have spelt this correctly and I have no idea if it is 1 or 3 words. All I know is that the friend who has set the challenge is of Welsh origin so maybe it is from there? There will be much kudos awarded to the finder of the meaning.....anybody able to shed some light on this?:dubious:
Cheers. Lu-b-lu

trabi
10-21-2003, 01:22 AM
floccinaucinihilipilification (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/f/floccinauci.html)

trabi
10-21-2003, 01:24 AM
All kudos to be sent to my Swiss bank account. I'll email you the number. :cool:

Welcome to the boards, by the way.

Lu-b-lu
10-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Wah-hoooooooo!
trabi you are the one! Fancy you being able to decipher my rotten spelling and come up with the word! Awesome.:eek:
Now all I have to do is practice the correct pronunciation and perfect my delivery and the world will be mine.
Thankyou for your welcome the boards...looks like a good place to be.
Cheers. Lu-b-lu
P.S. the cheque is in the mail........kudos carries a high price.

Roches
10-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Floccinaucinihilipilification is derived from a series of Latin words meaning 'small' or 'nothing'. None of the roots suggest estimation or worth. The meaning was imposed on the word by whoever invented it; you'd expect it to mean something like 'the process of making something extremely small', just by the words and the -ification suffix.

As I mentioned, the word is derived from Latin, not Welsh; if it were Welsh, you'd have no idea how to pronounce it because it'd be full of llwydds. Since it's Latin, you can just break it down into its component parts, flocci-nauci-nihili-pili-fication, and it shouldn't be too hard to pronounce. (New Zealanders have strange -- pleasant, but strange -- accents, so I don't think I can help you directly. =)) BTW, it sounds like your friend is using a more classical Latin pronunciation (flocky-nocky, not flossy-nossy) than the usual English pronunciation of the word.

Lu-b-lu
10-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Hello Roches, TY for your imput.
This New Zealander, with her endearing accent (flat vowels isn't it?)is running with the good old classic Latin version (hard K) and putting The Word out there. The Word is sweeping our little town clean of complacency. Artists, educators, athletes, writers even politicians are falling over themselves to slip The Word into a sentence in a casual yet valid way. My 14 year old sons English Teacher was dubious to say the least and set the challenge..."write me half a page about The Word, using it in context, and if I am satisfied I will give you $2" (A huge sum considering the pittance teachers claim to be paid in this country) So here we are being enriched by The Word of the Month as set by the local Physiotherapist and her Loyal Minion (thats me).
Cheers and have a smashing day.

Achernar
10-22-2003, 08:34 PM
One day I said it to my girl, and now my girl's my wife.

Best Topics: charmed avatars game vs sport elvis presley penis terminal degree definition did a lot learning latin books caller id modems tongue bite pulo prabang source in latin walgreens ink refills mtf lesbian best odor eaters chicken little summon pk nails survey boyfriends fucking pre made coleslaw what is horehound garrett morris shotgun profantasy football comfortmaker furnace reviews bump in forearm 19mm = in realistic spaceships oven outlet smelling pennies reusing stamps almond smell cyanide toothache cartoons proper pool rack 50s beard riddex for septic 19 ought 6 how many cartons of cigarettes can you travel with across state lines how much do 32ddd breast weigh opie mom andy griffith show ways to crack your fingers willy wonka quotes we are the music makers florida dmv vision test sell auto parts on amazon surrendering license plates in ny is stupid a bad word river rice where to buy how much is a rim for a car what does tequila mix well with how do jobs verify your degree whip it cleaner sam's club when to ask a girl out on okcupid me 109 vs spitfire stan lee next autograph signing volume of a starburst burnt power steering fluid why are the crows going crazy ziggy zaggy ziggy zaggy how much is 30 shekels of silver prius heater not hot how many feet is a city block why are hot dogs sold in packs of 10 john wayne and dean martin movie how long does it take for direct deposit to kick in night rider rap song does soma help with opiate withdrawal can lightning go through a window non alcoholic beer cans how many lumens is 1 million candlepower