PDA

View Full Version : Really old sheet music - what do I do with it?

LifeOnWry
10-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Hey, Dopers. My husband "inherited" a very large box full of old sheet music, most of it in booklet form with some nice artwork on the covers, some of it loose. Also a couple copies of an old music magazine called "Etude." Copyright dates on the music and magazines range from the late 1800s to the mid 1950s.

What's the best thing to do with all of this? A lot of it seems to be in nice condition - it's got that "old paper" musty smell to it, but aside from some edge tears and the missing cover here and there, it looks to be too nice to be cannibalized for craft projects. I should say that I have no use for it, nor does my hubby, but if any of it is worth anything we'd both prefer to sell it rather than to hand it out like party favors. On the other hand, we're not looking to retire off this stuff. I'd start listing it on eBay, but I haven't a clue IF it's worth anything, and if it is, WHAT it might be worth. Listing it piece by piece seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth, though.

Any ideas?

Mr. Blue Sky
10-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Check eBay to see if any of it is on there now.

You could also donate it.

There's also this price guide (http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/649577/vpcsid/0).

LifeOnWry
10-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Oh wow, Mr. Blue Sky! I have one of the ones on the cover of that price guide! I may have to get that.

I did check for sheet music on eBay, but there is a ton of it, and prices vary wildly. There are well over a hundred sheets here, so the price guide thingie may be my best bet.

dervinck
10-31-2003, 12:03 AM
I guess it would depend on the type of music you have.

The market for old classical sheet music is virtually non-existent (pop is another story though). If a particular edition of a work has passed into the public domain it is most likely available in reprint from one company or another (Dover, Kalmus, Cd Sheet music, etc...). Still, you may be able to sell some of the pieces on ebay (I think dividing it up into small lots, by composer, ensemble, etc would be best), but even then people will buy it simply because they want to play it and not because its an antique, so I wouldn't expect to get more than a few dollars at most for each piece. You may get lucky though- A few years ago I found a bunch of old orchestral excerpt books for sale at a dollar a piece. I sold each book separately on ebay and each one went for around 20 or 30 dollars. These books are still being printed today and can be bought new for much less money- I'm assuming the people who bought them didn't know that.

The Etude magazines, however, could be worth some decent money. I would definitely look into that a bit more.

ccwaterback
10-31-2003, 07:26 AM
After you have it appraised, I would donate it to a worthy educational institution. Perhaps Berklee?

http://berklee.edu/

You will be able to write it off as a charitable contribution on your income taxes.

LifeOnWry
10-31-2003, 08:14 AM
dervinck - it's almost all pop music. A couple classical pieces.

ccwaterback - we've discussed donating, too, which remains a possibility. I have a friend whose daughter attends Milliken (sp?) and I have asked her to talk to some one in the music department about it.

Best Topics: gorda meaning herbs for soup marshmallow hay bales imdb jim beaver drano clogged toilet robert brightwell inverse cross song titles sunshine bull clap plural of bush three sided war pk surveys epicanthic fold irish piano string instrument refrigerating coffee flatten paper bombardment simpsons mulan's mother your worship sharting causes cat chewing cords does chloroform work dirty lowdown euchred figs neener neener neener sudafed alternative drano drink polish nicknames kerri green panties mensa member benefits chinese symbols war mercurochrome vs iodine doctor who rules masturbating drunk beer cubes red checking pens can you suffocate in a car does motel 6 take cash vibrating harry potter broomstick do birds lay unfertilized eggs pavers or concrete patio is canada goose worth the money first communion gift from godfather cephalexin 500mg for acne why does grass make you itchy why do i get the hiccups when i smoke how to take braces off can i cash a check without id where can i buy anchovies how much nyquil can i take how do you say dulce de leche sink drain stopper stuck no drivers license insurance what are trusted credentials on android foster dad john live stream chloroform effects on the human body scraping noise when driving why are they called guy wires how long does drano take to work dramatic dun dun dun does chyna have a penis how much would a million pennies weigh legs go numb while standing how long will poison ivy stay on clothes god hides his face ww points baked potato is light cream the same as whipping cream how long can pizza sit out in a box putting a ring on a necklace warhammer 40k alignment chart