PDA

View Full Version : What was the wicked witch of the west's first name?

Shirley Ujest
02-22-2004, 12:22 PM
We all know that Glenda was the Good Witch from the East.

Did the Wicked Witch from the West actually have a first name?

CadburyAngel
02-22-2004, 12:34 PM
According to Gregory Maguire's excellent book, "Wicked," it's Elphaba, after a saint who secluded herself behind a waterfall. I don't believe there's any canonical name for her from the official Oz books.

Chronos
02-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Nitpick: The East Witch was also evil (she's the one who got crushed under the house). Glinda was either North or South (I think it might vary between different versions of the story).

FriarTed
02-22-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Glinda was North.

Superdude
02-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Glenda was the Good Witch of the North.

samclem
02-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Glinda was the good witch of the South in the original book. And the slippers were silver, not ruby. And it was the "wicked witch of the East" who got housed. That's 1910.

Thudlow Boink
02-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Chronos is correct.

In the book, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South (and probably the most powerful person in all of Oz). Dorothy meets her toward the end of the story (after encountering the wizard), and it is she who tells Dorothy how to get home. The Good Witch of the North (who is never given a name as far as I can remember) is the one that Dorothy encounters at the beginning (and who does not know how Dorothy can get home, as opposed to the "I could have told you but you wouldn't have believed me" crap that is one reason the movie is so lame). In fact, one of the later books in Baum's Oz series is titled Glinda of Oz.

In the movie, the Witch of the North is the only good witch we ever meet, and she is named Glinda.

BrotherCadfael
02-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Glinda was the Good Witch of the North.

Glenda was Ed Wood's alter ego.

Sampiro
02-22-2004, 04:16 PM
According to Gregory Maguire's excellent book, "Wicked," it's Elphaba, after a saint who secluded herself behind a waterfall. I don't believe there's any canonical name for her from the official Oz books.

Maguire developed the name as an homage to "L. F(r)a(nk) Ba(um)".

Ex Machina
02-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Also, according to the book, the Witch of the North had the appearance of an elderly woman. Glinda, the Witch of the South, had the appearance of youthful beauty in spite of being old.

Ex Machina
02-22-2004, 05:09 PM
To Baum, the familiarity of a first name may have seemed appropriate for the youthful Glinda but not for the elderly.

blasphmer
02-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Harold be thy name.

Oops wrong thread :D

Bryan Ekers
02-22-2004, 11:18 PM
a saint who secluded herself behind a waterfall

Is that like masturbating in the shower?

Shirley Ujest
02-22-2004, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE] And it was the "wicked witch of the East" who got housed. [QUOTE]

Got Housed . I like this term. Alot.

EX: "If only Judy from Accounting would get housed. "

Thanks sam!

Fear Itself
02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
I always thought the WWotW was named Rubbish, as in this scene in the movie:WITCH

You stay out of this, Glinda, or I'll fix you as well!

GLINDA

Oh, Rubbish! You have no power here. Be gone, before somebody drops a house on you, too.Was I mistaken?

AntaresJB
02-23-2004, 12:22 AM
In the funkti-fied Broadway Musical version The Wiz, Glinda is South, and the Good Witch of the North is Addaperle. The Wicked Witch of the East (the squished one) is Evamean, I believe, and our ever-so-lovely antagonist (I portrayed in my high school's production of it, I gotta talk her up a little :) ), the Wicked Witch of the West, is named Evillene. Totally not canonical, I'm sure, but in that version, that's what they are.

Yumblie
02-23-2004, 01:25 AM
I always thought the WWotW was named Rubbish, as in this scene in the movie:Was I mistaken?

I think it's just the good witch brushing off the wicked witch's threats, though the idea of someone being named "Rubbish" I find hilarious for some reason. Hehe, Rubbish.

Neidhart
02-23-2004, 10:30 AM
What was the wicked witch of the west's first name?

Tiffani-Amber. :D

NicePete
02-23-2004, 01:37 PM
We all know that Glenda was the Good Witch from the East.

Did the Wicked Witch from the West actually have a first name?

I'm pretty sure it was Sandy. You know, Sandy Witch.

TPWombat
02-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Bob.

Chefguy
02-23-2004, 04:48 PM
I think it's just the good witch brushing off the wicked witch's threats, though the idea of someone being named "Rubbish" I find hilarious for some reason. Hehe, Rubbish.

Ya see, Fear Itself? Ya see why they put smilies over there for your use? Some folks are just too literal for subtle (or in this case, budgeon-like) humor.

Gatopescado
02-23-2004, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE] And it was the "wicked witch of the East" who got housed. [QUOTE]

Got Housed . I like this term. Alot.

EX: "If only Judy from Accounting would get housed. "

Thanks sam!

Dammit! I was gonna say the exact same thing! Well, except for the "Judy" part. I was thinking "Jerry"! :D

"Got Housed"! That's an instant classic!

Chefguy
02-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Tiffani-Amber. :D

It was Kaneesha in The Wiz. :p

Best Topics: turbo key taco bell mints feldco windows cost rib cage abnormality motel hooker nomad motorcycle clubs geronimo jump wheresgeorge.com illegal refinishing whiteboards humdinger songs carving granite idrasil price bailey wkrp does cutting hurt dog eyebrow markings valet keyfob mythbusters search ir mirror chlo? sevigny oral cilajet lawsuit kettle black saying walmart butane gas black nude model timmy passions bookshelf symbol 7 song with claps dealdash commercial actor ofeibea quist arcton the bigist poop overheating truck digger wasp pictures essential literature 40k alignment chart does compound w freeze off hurt guns from lone survivor usps works on sunday 3/16 on tape measure good chasers for gin susan collins speaking voice john deere la115 manual nighthawk 2000 carbon monoxide detector are there seasons at the equator are pigeons safe to eat brake pedal slowly goes to floor no leaks bee sting symptoms a week later how do you spell heighth pepe le pew cartoons i'm smarter than you're what is a coon's age one eye weaker than the other haven't heard from her in a week skin tag inside mouth shortness of breath after quitting smoking polyester resin curing time yellow jacket repellent essential oils does amtrak have power outlets what are stock cars do cheyenne cigars have nicotine in them does popcorn pop above sea level clear liquid coming out of scab how much does a 747 pilot make can cats be ticklish zenni optical non prescription glasses what smells like mothballs can birds taste spicy roto rooters for sale