PDA

View Full Version : Larger Nippled Women

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
02-26-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm wondering if there is any sort of study done on the occurence of larger nipples on women... through observation I haven't seen that many of them. What purpose do larger nipples serve? What proportion of the female population have larger nipples? Is it dominant and recessive... or does it mix? Do certain races have larger incidences of this characteristic?
By larger I mean about 5cm+ in diameter as opposed to about 3cm.

Colibri
02-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Now there's an idea for a grant proposal . . .

Bill Door
02-26-2004, 06:40 PM
My experience has been that almost half of the women whose breasts I have seen have nipples larger than average. I hope this helps.

02-26-2004, 07:00 PM
My experience has been that almost half of the women whose breasts I have seen have nipples larger than average.
And almost the other half have nipples smaller than the average.
I hope you meant that as a witty joke.

John Kentzel-Griffin
02-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Just don't tell a woman her nipples are average, because that's mean. :D

samclem
02-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Nipples aren't usually measured in terms of diameter, I wouldn't think. Perhaps you mean "areola." I mean, 5 cm. .....?

seaworthy
02-26-2004, 11:29 PM
An ex of mine told me about an ex of his whose areolas almost completely covered her boobs. Which, even if she were small-breasted, is still like 4 inches. And way out of proportion. I mean, 4 inch areolas aren't too unusual if you have DDD breasts.

seaworthy
02-26-2004, 11:42 PM
Oh man, I just thought about the whole cm/in thing. 5 cm is large? OK, I'm going to go measure mine right now. I know for a fact that for my breast size, I have small to average areolas. I've often heard that I have a nice rack. Hang on. Damnit, my ruler only has inches and milimeters. I don't do conversions, I'm American! So my areolas are 4 mm, or an inch and a half. And I'm a C/D. Oh, ok, that's like 3.8 cm. Whew. Still, I think breast size is important when you're talking about "large" areolas. Mine are very small in proportion, so I'd say that even if mine were 5 cm, they'd still look normal.

Harmonix
02-26-2004, 11:44 PM
An ex of mine told me about an ex of his whose areolas almost completely covered her boobs. Which, even if she were small-breasted, is still like 4 inches. And way out of proportion. I mean, 4 inch areolas aren't too unusual if you have DDD breasts.

Perhaps she had breast-REDUCTION surgery?

picunurse
02-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Its child birth. Women who have had babies have large areolas those who have not yet conceived have small ones.

seaworthy
02-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm a mother, and mine are still the same size. I didn't breastfeed, though, does that make a difference?

Sunspace
02-27-2004, 12:09 AM
:: Sunspace reads thread, breaks into a sweat, says nothing, tiptoes away... ::

Loopydude
02-27-2004, 12:19 AM
I have no idea what the answer is, but this is simply one of the best topic headers I have seen ever.

Please, ladies, continue your research. Detail is of the utmost importance.

racinchikki
02-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Its child birth. Women who have had babies have large areolas those who have not yet conceived have small ones.
I have personal proof that this is incorrect.

Duckster
02-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Just don't let Michael Powell find out about this thread, mmkay?

:D

Little Nemo
02-27-2004, 01:39 AM
"Yeah, I'd like the new issue of Scientific American, the MIT Technology Review, the Journal of Advanced Physics ... oh yeah, and a copy of Jugs."

Larry Mudd
02-27-2004, 02:43 AM
Damn you, Little Nemo, I was doing my best to pretend I wasn't home, and now my housemates have heard thirty seconds of hysterical laughter.

Chotii
02-27-2004, 03:51 AM
No no no. You have it all wrong.

I like saying that.

Look: the pigmented aureola is a visual cue for the infant. For most women, during pregnancy, pigmentation increases and may appear to spill raggedly beyond the normal demarcating line of the aureola onto the breast tissue itself*, at about the same time as the linea negra appears. When an infant is born, it has pretty good eyesight up to about a 12" distance, which is roughly the distance from the breasts to the down-turned face, which the baby will be looking up into when he's nursing. The darkened areola tells the kid where the food is. And humans are hardly the only species to have such a visual cue.

After pregnancy ends, this pigmentation may or may not fade away. Mine always does.

*This pigmentation may appear as solid color, as freckles, or as raised bumps of darker skin, similar to moles.

However, the size of the aureola is irrelevant. Almost any woman who wishes to breastfeed can do so, given adequate support, education, and a willing infant. As far as that goes, the size of the nipples themselves is irrelevant, though especially large nipples may cause problems with initial breastfeeding efforts with a small newborn, or a newborn with a small mouth.

You might as well ask what is the purpose of freckles, or that weird splotchy pigmentation some folks get all over their bodies or their hands, or about the 'raccoon eyes' ('mask of pregnancy') some women get. It doesn't mean anything. It just is. And variations are just variations.

devilsknew
02-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Just, something that occurred to me... and maybe TMI, but it might have a scientific/biological basis. I am kinda turned off by the really dark pigmentation of nipples that I understand occurs during pregnancy (much darker than normal)- Everything else about pregnancy I find very sexy. Maybe this acts as a visual indicator both for the baby and amorous mates, signalling and warding men off from the offspring's foodsource?
Any other guys wanna weigh in on it?
dark nipples=repellant or attractive?

devilsknew
02-27-2004, 04:22 AM
Technically, I guess that would be "dark aereola", repellent or attractive.

Achilles
02-27-2004, 05:38 AM
Damnit, my ruler only has inches and milimeters. I don't do conversions, I'm American! So my areolas are 4 mm, or an inch and a half. And I'm a C/D. Oh, ok, that's like 3.8 cm.

Somebody please tell me this post is a fucking joke...

Jesus H Christ

LouisB
02-27-2004, 06:08 AM
And almost the other half have nipples smaller than the average.
I hope you meant that as a witty joke. No, it was a titty joke.

02-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Sorry, Larger Areolaed Women didn't have the same ring ;)
And well, compared to breast size, I would say larger would be about half the breast.
And no, I'm not talking after or during pregnancy.

Thin Ice
02-27-2004, 07:38 AM
Ladies, I'm not quite sure I understood your descriptions of your own breasts. Do you think you could post full color photos of your breasts, maybe with a ruler underneath for scale, so I, and any other confused posters, could more fully understand the size, proportion, and color differences. Thanks.

Uncommon Sense
02-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Links!! Dammit, LINKS!!!

Uncommon Sense
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM

Jesus H Christ

I think she figured it out by herself. 38 millimeters.....

Achilles
02-27-2004, 08:36 AM
I think she figured it out by herself. 38 millimeters.....

We can only hope. The whole "4mm" thing doesn't inspire confidence though. Even if that wasn't a mistake, you can hardly call dividing by 10, "conversion".

Thudlow Boink
02-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Maybe people are just different, y'know?
The same way noses and hands and feet and other things come in different shapes and sizes.

silenus
02-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I have spent years studying this very question. As a result, I have concluded that.................I need to study it for a few more years!! :D

The "pinkies v brownies" question has plagued Mankind for eons. It just boils down to personal preference, like hair color or eye color. Just don't tell pizzabrat. He'd insist that anybody who prefered pinkies was a rascist!

RM Mentock
02-27-2004, 10:56 AM
I live in the US, why should we know the conversion factor between millimeters and centimeters?

Ad the Inhaler
02-27-2004, 11:22 AM
anybody feel like fielding the related question of "why do men have nipples?" if not, i understand, i would much rather stay on the female nipple topic as well...

Thinks2Much
02-27-2004, 12:08 PM
I work for a company that makes breast pumps. We have various sizes of breast shields - the plastic recepticle thing placed over the breast to collect the milk - larger nipples need larger sizes and smaller nipples need smaller sizes. We have done research as to the statistical relationship of the sizes. I can't seem to find it at the moment. However, our research is based on the diameter of the protruding part of the nipple, not the areola. The two are not necessarily related. (For example, I have larger diameter true nipples, versus smaller diameter areolas.)

I do remember there were vague generalities that could be made along the lines of race: Women of African descent are more likely to have larger nipples and Asian women are more likely to have smaller ones.

If you care about the true nipple size and not areola size, I will try harder to find our research results.... if all you care about is areola, can't help you. That size serves no function in lactation.

Thinks2Much
02-27-2004, 12:11 PM
aswonke - the master speaks - why do men have nipples? (https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a1_093.html)

Loopydude
02-27-2004, 12:43 PM
I have spent years studying this very question. As a result, I have concluded that.................I need to study it for a few more years!! :D

The "pinkies v brownies" question has plagued Mankind for eons. It just boils down to personal preference, like hair color or eye color. Just don't tell pizzabrat. He'd insist that anybody who prefered pinkies was a rascist!

For me the issue is contrast. I find a brownie on an otherwise pink complexion a little creepy. It's like a giant mole or something. One girlfriend told me she almost slept with a white guy who had, she swore, a blue cock, and just couldn't go through with it (can you say "hand job"?). It wasn't the deeply pigmented penis per se, it's just who the penis happened to be dangling from. Things can't be too incongruous for some folks.

Chances are, dark brown nipples/areolas on lilly-white women is probably a major fetish for somebody. I bet you set up a web site and make a killing.

Hmmmm.

Thinks2Much
02-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I found the layman's summary of the research, in our newsletter we send out to customers. article (http://medela.com/graphics/messpdf/MessengerFALL00.pdf)

FYI - Our smallest shield is 21mm, average is 24mm, large is 27 mm, and extra large is 30mm. Please note that these are the diameter of the tubes on the shields- the nipples would need to be at least 3mm smaller than the tubes to use them comfortably. Again, this is nipple size, not areola. I looked at how well they sell. Only 4% in terms of quantity ask for the larger sizes (strictly US sales). You don't get a different shield if you are too small for average - you just get an insert for the regular one, which we always sell with the average one, so it is hard to say how many women use them who receive them. This article says 15% of women are outside of the average range, so that would imply that 4% are larger and 11% are smaller. That would make sense based on the way we sell it, too. The only thing is that it is a relatively new product that we only market through certain channels, so that 4% is more likely to be lower than actual.

In terms of circumstantial evidence, I would say my true nipples are 20mm and the areola is at most 0.8cm. The other factor you have not discussed is how much they protrude. Does that count towards being large or not? I am always told I have "big nipples" by those men who see them, but they are big because they stick out pretty far (and seem to always be at attention no matter what). By pretty far, in numbers I would say it is about 40mm. (Twice as far as they are wide)

If you read the whole article, you will also see I stand corrected on my memory. Asian women have larger nipples on average as well.

Thinks2Much
02-27-2004, 01:10 PM
oops - I meant 20mm out, not 40. (had to go check) about the same out as wide. That would be freaky! :eek:

seaworthy
02-27-2004, 01:14 PM

Jesus H Christ

Hey I was rather confused by this too, which is why I chose to convert the inches to cm and not the mm. If I could send you my ruler, I would. It has mm on one side, which is the abbreviation for milimeter, correct? And according to it, they're almost 4 mm. That didn't make any sense, though, because I knew I did the conversion to cm right, and I thought the whole "beauty" of the metric system was that it was based on 10. So I guess my ruler is inches and centimeters, it's just labelled wrong.

I'm so sorry I went by what the ruler said. I haven't done anything with the metric system since I was in 6th grade, and assumed it was more likely that I forgot how to do it than my ruler be labelled wrong.

AHunter3
02-27-2004, 01:51 PM
A centimeter is roughly the thickness of the end joint of your thumb from side to side, maybe a bit bigger. A millimeter, being a tenth as much, is only about as thick as the ink barrel that runs up the middle of a ball point pen, or the width of this asterisk:*

If you've got 5cm wide aureloa(e?), that means you'd just barely be able to cover them up with your palms. If you've got 5cm wide nipples....oy, that's scary to contemplate. On the other hand, if you've got 4mm wide nipples, that seems like a reasonable size. If your aureola(e?) are 4mm wide, I may have you beat and I've got guy parts.

Dunno if this helps or not.

Acsenray
02-27-2004, 02:55 PM
If I could send you my ruler, I would. It has mm on one side, which is the abbreviation for milimeter, correct? And according to it, they're almost 4 mm. That didn't make any sense, though, because I knew I did the conversion to cm right, and I thought the whole "beauty" of the metric system was that it was based on 10. So I guess my ruler is inches and centimeters, it's just labelled wrong.

I'm so sorry I went by what the ruler said. I haven't done anything with the metric system since I was in 6th grade, and assumed it was more likely that I forgot how to do it than my ruler be labelled wrong.

I don't think your ruler is labeled wrong. What is the smallest unit marked on the metric side? I bet it's millimetres.

SirRay
02-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Not sure if we established the actual averages previously in the thread, but if not, then from this site (NOT really workplace friendly) Sexual Averages (http://sexualrecords.com/WSRaverages.html), they are given as:
Average Nipple Size (female): 0.27 inches (6.79 mm)
Average Areola Size (female): 1.4 inches (35.62 mm).
Also, for those interested, the average male nipple Size is 5.5 mm.

I also learned that there is Nipple Reduction (NOT Breast, Nipple) cosmetic surgery, as evidenced on this doctor's website (Definitely NOT workplace friendly, and not erotic either (well, at least not the before shots)):
Thomas M. DeWire, Sr., MD: Nipple Reduction Body Contouring page (http://advanced-art.com/Breast-Nipple-Reduction.htm)

Nils
02-27-2004, 03:00 PM
A centimeter is roughly the thickness of the end joint of your thumb from side to side, maybe a bit bigger.

I don't know your thumb, but mine measures about 2 - 2.3 cm (that is 20 - 23 mm), or just under an inch. And I don't think my thumbs are particularly of large.

On the other hand, a standard CD-case is nearly 1 cm thick. I just measured it, a small tower of 10 CD-cases is 10.2 cm high, so one CD-case is 1.02 cm.

Nothing to to the nipple topic in the moment (unfortunately :( ).

Nils
02-27-2004, 03:04 PM
:rolleyes: minus "of" minus "to" plus "add"

Mighty Landru
02-27-2004, 03:35 PM
...And why only two breasts? Most species get far more. Not fair. Not fair at all...

DeVena
02-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi - I'm DeVena and I have large areolas. {insert "Hi, DeVena!" here}

I've talked to my doctor about it and she says that there's no problem having large areolas. She said mine where large, but she'd seen larger. I also asked her about a small protruding scar on my nipple, which she told me wouldn't be a problem with nursing since milk comes from the entire surface of the nipple, not just the center.

Oh, and for those who need the measurements...
Breast size = DD
Areola = 3 inches (7.6 cm)
Nipple = 1/2 in x 1/2 in
Scar = 1 mm (It was a childhood injury that I wouldn't let heal - no it doesn't hurt - no you can't see it.)

02-27-2004, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=Nils]I don't know your thumb, but mine measures about 2 - 2.3 cm (that is 20 - 23 mm), or just under an inch. And I don't think my thumbs are particularly of large. [QUOTE]
Compared to your brother's.. who must be the Hulk :) We are talking width of end joint here.

Uncommon Sense
02-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey I was rather confused by this too, which is why I chose to convert the inches to cm and not the mm. If I could send you my ruler, I would. It has mm on one side, which is the abbreviation for milimeter, correct? And according to it, they're almost 4 mm. That didn't make any sense, though, because I knew I did the conversion to cm right, and I thought the whole "beauty" of the metric system was that it was based on 10. So I guess my ruler is inches and centimeters, it's just labelled wrong.

Your ruler is fine. It has the side with the MM (designating milimeters) marked with nine small lines and then a 1, nine more small lines and then a 2, etc. They should have marked the 1 as a 10 and the 2 as a 20, etc. However, each 10 MM is also 1 centimeter, that`s why the thing has a 1 instead of a 10 at the first mark. It is confusing in that it is labeled MM but each readable numeral is actually denoting a centimeter. Each small line is actually a milimeter (MM).

OK?

BTW, my thumbs are 25 MM wide. That`s 2.5 centimeters. :)
Or roughly 1 inch.

02-27-2004, 04:37 PM
BTW, my thumbs are 25 MM wide. That`s 2.5 centimeters. :)
Or roughly 1 inch.
Maybe that only worked when they taught us in 2nd grade?
When I look at mine, I think 1 cm... But I'm only looking at the nobbly bit.. or.. if I turn it on it's side... the width of the joint is just over a cm...

I'm hijacking my own thread damnit.

DeVena, so you actually thought something was wrong with you? I wonder if larger nippled women know they have larger nipples? When did they first start getting larger... with breast growth, or after.. or before?
Average Areola size 3.5cm? There must be a LOT of women with 1cm wide areolae to balance out the larger ones.

seaworthy
02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't think your ruler is labeled wrong. What is the smallest unit marked on the metric side? I bet it's millimetres.

There is only one unit on the metric side, and it's labelled mm. As I said before, according to this ruler, they're about 1.5 inches or 4 mm. Now, if 1.5 inches is 3.8 cm, I'm guessing that it should say cm not mm. Either way, they're almost 4 cm.

I got the right measurement in the end, regardless.

02-27-2004, 05:09 PM
<hijack> Well your ruler would be marked |....i....|
| being the cm mark
. being millimeters
and i being 5 millimeters.
Australians can convert to inches and back again in our heads... how come americans don't learn to do the same? How many countries still use the imperial system anyway?</hijack>

Cervaise
02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
One girlfriend told me she almost slept with a white guy who had, she swore, a blue cockI think the ring was too tight.

Loopydude
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
So far a C/D and a DD.

Seem to be some busty ladies among us.

[ducks for cover]

seaworthy
02-27-2004, 06:05 PM
| being the cm mark
. being millimeters
Australians can convert to inches and back again in our heads... how come americans don't learn to do the same? How many countries still use the imperial system anyway?</hijack>

I think it's just Americans that still use the imperial system. I didn't have a problem converting the numbers, like I already said, I got the right measurements in the end. It's just that I thought the lines marked 1,2,3, etc were milimeters because that's what they were labelled. Since we don't use the metric system over here, I have no concept of "centimeter" the way I do "an inch". So when I measured 4 milimeters, then divided by 10, it made no sense. So I multipled the 1.5 inches by 2.5 and rounded up to the nearest 10th (in my head). So that's 3.8. I can do the conversion, it's just that I thought I was measuring in milimeters, since on the imperial side of my ruler, the line marked "1" equals 1 inch, so I assumed that the line marked "1" on the metric side (which was labelled mm) equalled 1 milimeter.

The way my ruler is marked, it would be like having a tape measured labelled "in" that had lines every inch but the 12-inch mark was labelled "1". That doesn't make sense to me. I'm sorry if I'm an ignorant American, but on every ruler I've ever used, the distance between the numbered lines has been whatever unit of measurement it was labelled. That's not the way the metric side of this ruler is. The lines should either be 10, 20, etc. or be labelled cm.

Silver Serpentine
02-27-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm a C/D cup, and my areolas are somewhere around 2-3 inches wide. I hate it, and I'm all self-conscious about it. Needless to say, I don't go flashing people anymore, heh.

Anyone know if there's such a thing as areola reduction surgery? Heh.

StarvingButStrong
02-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Do we want to get into color contrast, too? I'm very fair skinned over all ('ivory' in terms of foundation) and my aureolae are barely a shade or two deeper pink. It's hard to tell exactly where they begin when you're looking close up, easier to spot at a couple of feet (as when looking in a mirror.)

Hmmm. I bet I could elimate the color contrast complete with a layer of ordinary foundation.

Anyone into the 'Barbie' look?

StarvingButStrong
02-27-2004, 08:18 PM
<sigh> That should be "eliminate" and "completely".

Off to experiment with make up..... (Hey, I'm home alone and bored.)

seaworthy
02-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Do we want to get into color contrast, too? I'm very fair skinned over all ('ivory' in terms of foundation) and my aureolae are barely a shade or two deeper pink. It's hard to tell exactly where they begin when you're looking close up, easier to spot at a couple of feet (as when looking in a mirror.)

Hmmm. I bet I could elimate the color contrast complete with a layer of ordinary foundation.

I'm also fair-skinned, and mine are only a couple of shades darker too. So for you perverts out there, that means I have (kinda) small pink nipples on otherwise (kinda) large breasts. I'm not including pictures.

Loopydude
02-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Tease! :D

callslugger
02-27-2004, 09:48 PM

I am 15 years old, and i have 7 cm from the diameter of the areolas. Or about 4 inches for those of you in the U.S. That is fairly large if you ask me.....

Plus i can barely tell where mine end, and start, they are barely darker, and i am olive toned.

bromells
02-27-2004, 11:49 PM
| being the cm mark
. being millimeters

If you say it's the imperial system, OK, but I always thought it was the English system.

Short answer: we don't learn because there would be no point. Unless one is a scientist or mechanic, it doesn't come up. Ever. I remember when I was a kid in the 70s there was a big push to foist the French system upon us and it failed badly. Folks were perfectly happy with the feet and yards and inches and so forth. And anyway, how does one go about asking a neighbor for a cup of sugar? What's the term? Deciliters? A bit on the clinical side, if you ask me.

Other possible (and I emphasize possible as these are laden with my opinions) reasons:

1. The length of a man's (or some dead king's -- or emperor's, if you like) foot is admittedly arbitrary. Then again, so is the distance a cesium ion travels at a certain temperature in a vacuum at a certain time. Much more obscure, too.

2. The English system is handier in everyday life, with more logical gradations and major units. Most especially, significantly, in cooking. Telling legions of American moms (and dads, yes, and dads, but remember, this was the 70s) that you're switching things up on them can get a reaction more marked than you'd have thought. I don't even want to contemplate a kitchen based on the French system. Very telling is that it seems that on the European cooking shows the Food Network shows, they often rely on ounces and so forth anyway, or have tried to approximate teaspoons, tablespoons, and so forth. Gives one the impression that they just made a lot of unnecessary work for themselves.

3. Changing the system was going to be very costly and it definitely struck people's "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" alarm. If the scientists and cargo shippers wanted to do things the new way, let them. Nobody was stopping them. But regular folks weren't really impressed with the NEED for the new ways.

4. Dividing everything in life by ten, decimalizing life, seems a bit sterile. Maybe practical, maybe not, but definitely charmless and almost non-human. Vague feelings of the cold table they make you sit on in the doctor's office in your humiliating paper robe come to mind.

5. Here's another big drawback, in my opinion. They also started yammering, at the same time, about that ridiculous celsius temperature system. The one where if it's 19 degrees outside it's warm but if it's 15 it's frigid (you get my point). That is just plain useless. Nowhere near enough gradations on that scale. Again, great for science class but in real life, sadly lacking. It's like taking most of the colors off of the palette. What's next, binary? It's either 0 outside or 1? Wear a jacket or broil to death?

6. It was being foisted on us by the French and other Europeans and they were kind of snooty about it (I know, shocking) so maybe we got a bit stubborn. I'm glad, too, because I don't know that what's good for scientists and corporations is always best for everyday people. Or that life is divisible by 10.

7. You state that Aussies are able to convert in their heads. Why? If the French cesium vacuum system is a comprehensive system, why are any conversions necessary? The fact that nobody here outside of scientific circles is forced to convert anything tells me that ours is indeed comprehensive and addresses the needs of everyday life, if awkward in interstate trucking and shipping. Unless your conversion to the French system happened very recently, which would be a different story, this speaks of inadequacies in the new way.

I've rambled on a bit but wanted to get our side of the story out there. Living in New York and interacting with Asian and European colleagues a lot, they often make mocking remarks about our way of doing things and wonder why we insist on doing things this way. I hope this can help explain why we stick with what was good enough for Grandpa and Grandma and that we continue to befuddle our transoceanic friends, because I think we made the right call. 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, a teaspoon of vanilla, and you're most of the way to very yummy cookies. Does a decagram of anything sound appetizing (I exempt drug dealers from this question)?

Chotii
02-27-2004, 11:54 PM
I work for a company that makes breast pumps. We have various sizes of breast shields - the plastic recepticle thing placed over the breast to collect the milk - larger nipples need larger sizes and smaller nipples need smaller sizes.

And even this is not adequate. I had to pump exclusively for one of my twins (who is still fed by g-tube at age 4 1/2) and if it weren't for the Ameda Egnell 'Flexi-shields' I would have done so much tissue damage to myself that I'd have had to quit. (But I have *very* small nipples for a mature female - not that this has ever affected my ability to feed my other children). To wit: on the one side, not only the nipple but most of the aureola would by sucked beyond the shield into the tube, and there was tissue damage occurring. It hurt. A lot. I tried narrower-diameter inserts and only made the damage worse. With the flexi-shields I went on to pump for 21 months (and donated milk to the Mother's Milk Bank in Denver also).

Which is only to say that everybody's different. And nipple size, breast size, and for that matter body size, have very little to do with ability to lactate or provide adequate milk for a baby.

Chotii
02-28-2004, 12:01 AM

*laugh*

Yes, this is me too. Now, anyway, 7 months into my 3rd lactation. They were darker just before kiddo numero quatro was born, but it's fade back to 'nearly indistinguishable' now. But I'm very fair. Sunburn like a sonofabitch if I stay outside for half an hour in the sun. Freckle, never tan. I hardly got any linea negra at all, and only late into pregnancy. And it's gone now. I think people with a tendancy to dark pigmentation (who tan well, etc) will have more contrast.

Call me Frank
02-28-2004, 12:29 AM
I would just like to commend all the women who have demonstrated their commitment to science in this thread, particularly seaworthy, because she was the first.

I mean, the people who measured their nostrils for that classic thread about wedding rings did one thing, but this is something else entirely.

phouka
02-28-2004, 01:54 AM
You know, I just realized that I was feeling up my tits through my shirt in an effort to gauge how large my areolae are - and I was doing it in front of an uncurtained window while it's dark out and my living room light is on.

If I get arrested or strange rumors start up in this town, it's all your fault.

Loopydude
02-28-2004, 02:19 AM
You know, I just realized that I was feeling up my tits through my shirt in an effort to gauge how large my areolae are - and I was doing it in front of an uncurtained window while it's dark out and my living room light is on.

If I get arrested or strange rumors start up in this town, it's all your fault.

Yeah, well my wife's asleep, I've got my own problem now, and it's all your fault.

Tikki
02-28-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm a C/D cup, and my areolas are somewhere around 2-3 inches wide. I hate it, and I'm all self-conscious about it. Needless to say, I don't go flashing people anymore, heh.

Anyone know if there's such a thing as areola reduction surgery? Heh.

Yup, there is such a thing. They can even take the areola and nipple and move them higher up on the breast to make you look perkier.

I had a friend who's aureolas puffed out like smaller versions of breasts. In fact, her plastic surgeon called them Snoopy noses, they stuck out so much. She got them reduced but it left a lot of ropy scarring. It was just the way her body reacted to the surgery, I guess. Still, she was happier with her new profile.

Tikki
02-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Oh, and I don't 2-3 inches is bad. My own are about 2 1/2 and I think they're just the right size for my double D's.

Silver Serpentine
02-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Yup, there is such a thing. They can even take the areola and nipple and move them higher up on the breast to make you look perkier.
REALLY? Neato. I've neer considered getting platic surgery done for anything, but this one certainly has my interest now.

Hmmmmmm.

I'd like to have normal looking boobies.

Loopydude
02-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Not that I've seen a huge number or anything, but I'm not so sure there is a "normal" looking pair of boobies. The variety of shapes, sizes, and colorations is rather amazing.

About the only kind I find really odd (besides the color contrast issues) are the, er, handlebar variety.

callslugger
02-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Do men prefer women with large areolas, does it matter how dark they are? It's kinda like you guys being self conscious about the size of your penis, so come on guys! What do you like?

Cartooniverse
02-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Oh, simple answer. I'm incredibly drawn to large, darker aureolas, on larger soft breasts. For whatever reason, I find that kind of bosom to be just breathtakingly arousing.

Then again, I find bigger darker skinned women to be breathtakingly arousing, so that works.

Cartooniverse

seaworthy
02-28-2004, 01:46 PM

I had a friend who's aureolas puffed out like smaller versions of breasts. In fact, her plastic surgeon called them Snoopy noses, they stuck out so much. She got them reduced but it left a lot of ropy scarring. It was just the way her body reacted to the surgery, I guess. Still, she was happier with her new profile.

Oh man I completely forgot until just now, but my friend's dad had this problem! First time I ever went to her house, he was sitting there without a shirt on, and it was all I could do not to stare and/or laugh hysterically. First, picture a couple of fat bananas sticking out of an overweight, middle-aged man's chest. Then picture that both of these have "Snoopy nose" nipples as Tikki put it. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Call me Frank
02-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Do men prefer women with large areolas, does it matter how dark they are? It's kinda like you guys being self conscious about the size of your penis, so come on guys! What do you like?

So far as I know, I think a lot of men view breasts (no double entendre intended) as women view penis size; IE, it's just a matter of personal taste, so opinions will vary wildly.

Myself, my motto is "They're all good."

miss smartypants
02-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Gosh!, are you guys still at it? :) I measured mine last night and it seems they are just a tad larger than "normal". But...they are pink, and for some reason I always just assumed that the darker ones were, um, better--I thought guys would just like dark better. Mine *were* darker while I was pregnant and I felt so proud and sexy...

(Oh BTW Frank, this is totally off topic, but when I was young we were very rural folk and I went to a one-room school. I was from a family of 3 girls and had actually never seen a weenie till one of the older boys named Frank whipped his out one day on the playground. Can you imagine what might happen if a similar incident were to happen today? Poor Frank--they'd probably give him 30 years to life in the state pen. :eek: )

Call me Frank
02-28-2004, 06:21 PM
It wasn't me. I swear it wasn't me!! :D

Funny though, you think this Frank had any influence on the later actions of one Janet Jackson?

guiness
02-28-2004, 06:34 PM
And anyway, how does one go about asking a neighbor for a cup of sugar? What's the term? Deciliters? A bit on the clinical side, if you ask me.
A bit on the cynical side if you ask me. We would ask for a cup (250ml or, 250cc in this case). Not all metric countries use decilitres, we do not in Australia.

4. Dividing everything in life by ten, decimalizing life, seems a bit sterile. Maybe practical, maybe not, but definitely charmless and almost non-human. Vague feelings of the cold table they make you sit on in the doctor's office in your humiliating paper robe come to mind.
This, coming from the mouth of a speaker and writer of the expurgated simplified and processed modern American English. The language has become painful to read and listen to; maybe practical, maybe not, but definitely charmless and almost non-human.

5. Here's another big drawback, in my opinion. They also started yammering, at the same time, about that ridiculous celsius temperature system. The one where if it's 19 degrees outside it's warm but if it's 15 it's frigid (you get my point). That is just plain useless. Nowhere near enough gradations on that scale. Again, great for science class but in real life, sadly lacking. It's like taking most of the colors off of the palette. What's next, binary? It's either 0 outside or 1? Wear a jacket or broil to death?
This is so nitpicky and blind that I fell you are just ranting. At 0 degrees C water freezes and at 100 degrees C water boils (a fine and constant standard to use) with body temp at around 36 degrees any atmospheric temperature is easily gauged by a keen enough perception of mind. In comparison the fahrenheit scale is a touch less logical and quite human-centric.

7. You state that Aussies are able to convert in their heads. Why? If the French cesium vacuum system is a comprehensive system, why are any conversions necessary?
This is due solely to the pervasive nature of American culture. We need to know how heavy a fat man referred to in a film is in real measurements. Distances referred to in the media.
Basically we are compensating for the twats who haven't caught on yet.

I've rambled on a bit but wanted to get our side of the story out there. Living in New York and interacting with Asian and European colleagues a lot, they often make mocking remarks about our way of doing things and wonder why we insist on doing things this way. I hope this can help explain why we stick with what was good enough for Grandpa and Grandma and that we continue to befuddle our transoceanic friends, because I think we made the right call. 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, a teaspoon of vanilla, and you're most of the way to very yummy cookies. Does a decagram of anything sound appetizing (I exempt drug dealers from this question)?

You and I have both rambled a bit. I believe the attitude that, if something was good enough for Mum and Dad then it is good enough for us, can hinder generational change. Using the argument that, if something was good enough for Grandpa and Grandma then it is good enough for us, is plainly ignorant and dangerous.

Maybe this is the reason America is in the state it is in

Loopydude
02-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Boobs: They're all good. Don't worry about yours. I think most guys would be liars if they said bigger didn't hold some extra fascination, but that's hardly the only criterion that matters.

As for meself, I'm into round and pendulous. Medium nipples. Color isn't so important (see contrast issues above). Big, small, medium; any size can be attractive if they're shaped nicely. Really, I've seen what I consider a fair variety of shapes, sizes, etc., and I've never really encountered a pair that I thought the woman should feel self-conscious about.

Faces are more important to me anyway. I'll take an A cup with a lovely, friendly face over a D cup without any day.

Lumpy
02-28-2004, 10:19 PM
I can't believe that in a thread about breasts and nipples, all some people can do is obsess about the metric system!

Anyway, count me in the ranks of men who like darker, high-contrast nipples. Reddish-brown if you're fair skinned, dark brown if you're medium complexion, and purple/black if you're dark skinned. Oh, and larger size, both width and length, is nice too.

CairaJade
02-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Are we talking hard or soft nipples here? My areolae are much wider when soft. I'm quite self-concious of them then, though I rather like them when they're hard. Also, any other acceptable terminology for this phenomenon?

netscape 6
02-29-2004, 12:14 AM
This, coming from the mouth of a speaker and writer of the expurgated simplified and processed modern American English. The language has become painful to read and listen to; maybe practical, maybe not, but definitely charmless and almost non-human.

Painfull is a relative term in this case. I may have jokenly pointed out the extra uneeded u's are annoying in another thread but I don't find them painfull.

Loosen up dude, women are telling us about their breasts, and doing it for science!!!!!!!!! That's like both hot and intellectual at same time. Yet you are quibbling about grammer and measurment, I find that painfull.

Oh and threads like this are why I love this board.

02-29-2004, 04:27 AM
touché, guiness, touché :D
and netscape6 it's painful.

Since I'm the OP, can I bring everyone back to topic. Now what intrigues me, is that someone posted a link to sexual body part averages, and apprently the average diameter areola size is 3.68cm. Mine are about that size and mine are small... :confused: How does this average out?
So men actually like bigger nipples? Damn :(
Is it hard to find bikinis and such sometimes that don't cover up the whole nipple?
Are you self-conscious about them? And then there's all the questions I asked in the OP. cheers.

seaworthy
02-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Are we talking hard or soft nipples here? My areolae are much wider when soft. I'm quite self-concious of them then, though I rather like them when they're hard. Also, any other acceptable terminology for this phenomenon?

I forgot about that. I measured mine when they were soft, so they'll be a bit smaller hard.

jjimm
02-29-2004, 12:54 PM
5. Here's another big drawback, in my opinion. They also started yammering, at the same time, about that ridiculous celsius temperature system. The one where if it's 19 degrees outside it's warm but if it's 15 it's frigid (you get my point). That is just plain useless. Nowhere near enough gradations on that scale.:confused: But you're complaining about a scale that becomes totally familiar to a user. A Celsius user will know the difference between 19 and 15 as well as someone who uses Farenheit will know the difference between 59° and 66°. However, the difference between 17 and 18 is tiny - can you tell the difference between 62° and 64°? Do you need that extra degree in between the two?

In a vain attempt to bring this back to the OP, perhaps the fine gradiations of the Farenheit scale is useful to determine when the aforementioned nipples will become full beams?

chorpler
02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Acting on the feelings of pure scientific curiosity that this thread has inspired in me, I whipped out my trusty ruler and asked my wife if I could measure her nipples. She agreed. I wasn't sure if having them be "erect" would throw off the measurements or if that was how they're supposed to be measured, but it seemed like it would be easier that way, so I suggested using an ice cube to achieve the desired effect. She disagreed. I guess she's just not willing to make the kind of selfless sacrifices for science that I am!

Anyway, I measured her nipples and areolas (they were identical on both breasts, it turned out) and got some highly scientific results. Her nipples themselves were 1.7cm in diameter, protruding by about 1.2cm, and the areolas were 4.45cm in diameter. And, relative to her breast size, the nipples and areolas seem pretty normal, not too big or too small. (Well, obviously they seem huge compared to mine, but they're pretty normal for a female.)

Just for the scientific sake of scientific comparison, and not because I got any sort of carnal thrill out of it1, I measured my own nipples as well. The actual nippular part was 8mm in diameter, while the surrounding pigmented area (is it still called an areola on a male?) is 2.5cm in diameter. I feel so pathetic compared to my wife. But that's what we have to do for science. Yes, science.

This whole discussion reminds me of an unimaginable horror I experienced in my youth. Back in high school, I was on the cross country running team, which consisted of maybe twenty people. Since it gets extremely hot around here, people would frequently rip their shirts off while running (only the boys, alas).

That was all fine and dandy, except for one thing ... there was a certain team member (we'll call him Jeff2) who had the biggest nipples I've ever seen on a guy. Not his areolitudinosity -- they were normal. But the actual nipples were huge. They were at least 2cm wide, and they protruded about 2cm as well.

(For those who are keeping track, that means that, yes, his nipples were bigger than my wife's.)

Talk about horrifying. They were like a car accident -- you didn't want to look, but you couldn't pull your gaze away.

And it wasn't like they were stretched out by subcutaneous fat or anything -- Jeff was heavily muscled, with extremely low body fat. He was also extremely irritable and would yell at people a lot. Since then, I have often wondered if he was on steroids -- if that might explain his temper and his ultra-highly-muscled super-low-fat exceptionally-large-nippled body. Since this was years back, though, I guess now we'll never know. But at least now I don't have to face the unimaginable horror of my youth.

Except that I still see him running shirtless sometimes while I'm driving to work in the morning. <curl up into a ball in the corner shivering>

1I swear!

2Names may have been changed to protect the unnaturally big-nippled.

Mathochist
02-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Our smallest shield is 21mm, average is 24mm, large is 27 mm, and extra large is 30mm. Please note that these are the diameter of the tubes on the shields- the nipples would need to be at least 3mm smaller than the tubes to use them comfortably. Again, this is nipple size, not areola.

The medium tube is an inch thick? I've never seen a girl with nipples that wide (not including the areola).

fishead788
02-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I found the layman's summary of the research, in our newsletter we send out to customers. article (http://medela.com/graphics/messpdf/MessengerFALL00.pdf)

FYI - Our smallest shield is 21mm, average is 24mm, large is 27 mm, and extra large is 30mm. Please note that these are the diameter of the tubes on the shields- the nipples would need to be at least 3mm smaller than the tubes to use them comfortably. Again, this is nipple size, not areola. I looked at how well they sell. Only 4% in terms of quantity ask for the larger sizes (strictly US sales). You don't get a different shield if you are too small for average - you just get an insert for the regular one, which we always sell with the average one, so it is hard to say how many women use them who receive them. This article says 15% of women are outside of the average range, so that would imply that 4% are larger and 11% are smaller. That would make sense based on the way we sell it, too. The only thing is that it is a relatively new product that we only market through certain channels, so that 4% is more likely to be lower than actual.

In terms of circumstantial evidence, I would say my true nipples are 20mm and the areola is at most 0.8cm. The other factor you have not discussed is how much they protrude. Does that count towards being large or not? I am always told I have "big nipples" by those men who see them, but they are big because they stick out pretty far (and seem to always be at attention no matter what). By pretty far, in numbers I would say it is about 40mm. (Twice as far as they are wide)

If you read the whole article, you will also see I stand corrected on my memory. Asian women have larger nipples on average as well.

Don't you mean on your mammory?

Mathochist
02-29-2004, 06:08 PM

To my personally it doesn't matter. What matters is the sensitivity. If I'm with a young woman and she either can't stand some petting (too sensitive) or gets absolutely nothing out of it (not sensitive enough) it throws the whole rhythm off.

callslugger
02-29-2004, 07:24 PM
OK hi it's me again. So i am wondering when you guys are talking about areolas you aren't talking about the nipple, you say you like them large, so are you referring to the nipple as large or the areola? For most girls, that i know of that large areolas and small nipples.

Mathochist
02-29-2004, 07:37 PM
OK hi it's me again. So i am wondering when you guys are talking about areolas you aren't talking about the nipple, you say you like them large, so are you referring to the nipple as large or the areola? For most girls, that i know of that large areolas and small nipples.

I say again, it doesn't matter to me that much. In fact if I had to express a preference I'd go for smaller as that tends to correspond with higher sensitivity. That said, your using the term "you" is a little out of place. In fact I doubt that there's any universal tendancies in preference for any of the characteristics that have been brought up (breaking breast size into the two important parts):

cup size
band size
aureole diameter
aureole constrast
nipple length
nipple diameter

There's just so much variation here that I'd find it impossible to have a strong opinion about more than one or two variables. I don't have a Platonic mastidea ("breast-Form") floating about in my head against which I compare particular instantiations of breasts.

Chotii
02-29-2004, 08:41 PM
The medium tube is an inch thick? I've never seen a girl with nipples that wide (not including the areola).

That's why I wound up with nipple/aureola tissue damage when pumping with ordinary 'shields'. The opening for the Flexi-Shield is MUCH narrower, and the silicone gives a bit with each cycle of suction. Acts as a cushion. Mind you, the damage only occurred on one side. I cannot imagine why the make the tubes that wide though, unless it's that some women *do* have very wide nipples (not aureolae) which would be damaged by too *narrow* a tube.

Chotii
02-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Loosen up dude, women are telling us about their breasts, and doing it for science!!!!!!!!! That's like both hot and intellectual at same time. Yet you are quibbling about grammer and measurment, I find that painful.

I don't think I've ever met a man who could talk about breasts the way (every woman I know) views her breasts: as plain old ordinary body parts. I mean, they're blobby soft sticky-outy things. I don't know about the other ladies on this board, but I bet most of them think no more about their breasts than they do about their knees - in other words, unless they *hurt*, they don't think about them at all.

I think about *mine* as functional objects. But I'm nursing my 4th nursling. They only become sexy during sex, and not always then.

As a side note, I am on a mailing list of men who are restoring their foreskins using tissue-expansion methods (usually weight or tension) and it has amazed me that they can talk about their male bits like....ordinary body parts, with no sexual overtones, undertones, or any other tones. Sure, there's some "scientific" discussion of length, width, "shower" vs "grower", degree of tightness of skin before they started restoring, length of the fauxskin after they finish, and so on, but it's all...well, it's non-sexual. None of them, I swear this, seem to give a damn about being anything other than what they are (except to repair what they wish had not been removed). That's been a remarkable thing for me to read. I hadn't known it was possible. I bet it would boggle a lot of men to listen to mature adult women talk among themselves about their breasts when sex, or mate-attraction, is not a factor in the discussion. Which this this discussion isn't, quite.

Do you men find it interesting? I mean, that women will casually discuss their breasts without any sexual 'tones'?

callslugger
02-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Personally for me, they are a pain in the butt, i can't play flute without rearranging my breasts. what is this world coming to!

hammerbach
02-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Personally for me, they are a pain in the butt, i can't play flute without rearranging my breasts. what is this world coming to!
As a male flute player, I have a hard time imagining this. Interference w/ your left elbow?

hammerbach
02-29-2004, 10:38 PM
And by the way, welcome to the SDMB, callslugger!

03-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Any studies done on the standard deviation of areola size?

callslugger
03-03-2004, 09:10 PM
As a male flute player, I have a hard time imagining this. Interference w/ your left elbow?

Yes the left elbow, wow are you good at the flute?

Ellis Dee
03-03-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't think I've ever met a man who could talk about breasts the way (every woman I know) views her breasts: as plain old ordinary body parts. I mean, they're blobby soft sticky-outy things. I don't know about the other ladies on this board, but I bet most of them think no more about their breasts than they do about their knees - in other words, unless they *hurt*, they don't think about them at all.Yes, of course. Women never give a second thought to their breasts. I remember last week I had to stop myself from checking out all the knee cleavage at the club.

Regarding the metric hijack: Fahrenheit is a more precise than Centigrade, which is useful. Pounds are more precise then kilograms, which is useful. Miles is less than kilometers, which is useful. Feet is an incredibly useful measure, whereas decimeters are almost unheard of. How tall are you in metric? 6'0" and 5'0" are nice benchmarks. How tall is 6'0" in metric?

Back on topic: I am feeling incredibly ignorant, but I don't understand what aerola is/are, and how are they different from nipples. Something's just not clicking in my head. Could somebody please post some pictures to help fight my ignorance?

Ellis Dee
03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Miles is less than kilometersLess precise, obviously.

hammerbach
03-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Yes the left elbow, wow are you good at the flute?
Occasionally... I could go on, but I hate to hijack a thread just to [switch metaphor] blow my own trumpet [/switch metaphor]. Why don't you start a MPSIMS thread, and we can all chime in?

audreyayn
03-04-2004, 02:32 AM

I assume the "Snoopy nose" thing (a name I'm sure boosted your friend's self esteem...) was an image issue and not a medical one? I've seen ads in Japanese magazines for color-changing precedures. Apparently pink nipples are becoming more popular there. The idea of that and the aureola-reduction precedure both frighten me.

I don't know about the other gals on here, but I don't see that many nipples that aren't mine and aren't attached to half-plastic celebrities. Makes it hard to tell what's really normal.

T. Mehr
03-04-2004, 02:48 AM
I like the aureola (what a word for such a nice thing!) when it's sort of wrinkled up. That would happen below 10 degerees Centigrade - don't know in Fahrenheit...

Innanna
03-04-2004, 08:56 AM
I like the aureola (what a word for such a nice thing!) when it's sort of wrinkled up. That would happen below 10 degerees Centigrade - don't know in Fahrenheit...

50F. I know this only because I am an American in Wales, and that is one of the few that I can remember because they are both round numbers.

jjimm
03-04-2004, 09:05 AM
50F. I know this only because I am an American in Wales, and that is one of the few that I can remember because they are both round numbers.I thought you were referring to a bra size.

callslugger
03-04-2004, 09:02 PM
I realize that this is a thread for "nipples" not areolas so i am gunna get back on track and i'm gunna say that my mother has well very large nipples maybe the size of gumdrops, perhaps bigger. The thing is, they are always like that, me on the other hand (15) Have very small ones, about the size of a small pea

03-05-2004, 06:33 AM
I realize that this is a thread for "nipples" not areolas
actually it sn't about nipples at all. 1. I didn't think larger Areolaed women had the same ring ;) and 2. I thought not mny people would know what I was talking about.

Fish Cheer
03-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Back on topic: I am feeling incredibly ignorant, but I don't understand what aerola is/are, and how are they different from nipples. Something's just not clicking in my head. Could somebody please post some pictures to help fight my ignorance?Just in case this is not a joke, think of it this way:

If the nipple is Orthanc, the areola is Isengard.

Pictures here (http://arwen-undomiel.com/wallpaper/800x600/Orthanc.jpg).

callslugger
03-05-2004, 09:48 PM
nipples are the bumps and the areola are the darker skin surrounding the nipples, the nipples can be appart of the areola, they are in the center of them.

Best Topics: guard cat diageo rebates water under house phenol spray amazon prime guarantee 99.7 fever cuisinart cutlery reviews bilbo's speech knob gobbling phone books delivery condom walmart hairless legs diabetes pods vs uhaul raw hamburger name urail king technical animal fat good disguises zenni eyebuydirect redemptionperiod godaddy rice in lung 4 day hangover syphoning gas kisses with lipstick nba flashing lights suffocation plastic bag civilization iv tips price of plutonium jesus shit scatting songs charlie morecraft wikipedia administrator vs coordinator your account creation request failed steam are bank wire transfers safe gin drinks without tonic gap between tub and wall black girl with green eyes sawn off 22 rifle car door repair shops the roof is on fire let the mutha fugga burn skokie swift to wrigley field home depot orientation dress code how to serve chardonnay wine left yield on green what does it feel like to be double penetrated asparagus coke kidney stones surrender cheap trick lyrics meaning why is cow meat called beef can moldy bread make you sick plantar fasciitis socks target deep cavity filling vs root canal why do people say idear domo arigato mr roboto meaning papasmurf can i lick your ass mac 10 full auto is hydrogen peroxide safer than bleach buying alcohol with someone under 21 what is dope rated 2 water heaters in a house what do you call someone in the coast guard what does llc mean in a business name is a flask an open container gas station coffee prices telecheck code 3 reason 2