PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunter: Giddy Mao! What were they saying?

KidCharlemagne
05-25-2004, 08:50 AM
The VC in the Russian Roulette scene seem to be saying something along the lines of "Giddy Mao!" to De Niro's and Walken's character when commanding them to fire the pistol. What does that mean?

Bart Simpson- "What part of Giddy Mao! don't you understand?"

Meatros
05-25-2004, 09:00 AM
It means something close to 'do it quickly'. I think mao means quickly/rapidly.

Then again, I don't speak the language...

False_God
05-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Phonetically, it's "didi mao" which I've heard translated variously as "do it quick" or, based on tone, "that's enough."

Mr. Moto
05-25-2004, 09:44 AM
I always post to the "Deer Hunter" threads.

My parents live in Clairton, PA, where the Deer Hunter was set. Most of my family comes from Clairton, and I grew up very near to this town as a child.

If anything, it looks even more depressing now than it was depicted in the movie.

The signs from the beginning of the movie are still there, though, welcoming you to Clairton, the City of Prayer.

Johnny L.A.
05-25-2004, 09:50 AM
In The Green Berets "didi" is used as "go". "Let's [i]didi[i] out of here!" "Mao", from what I remember from my Vietnamese former co-workers, is an imperitive. So "Didi mao!" would seem to mean "Go now!" or "Do it now!"

JohnM
05-25-2004, 10:37 AM
"Mau" means "quickly", "di" means "go" or "move", so the Vietnam-war-era slang term "didi mau" would literally be "go go quickly".

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
05-25-2004, 10:48 PM
If that is indeed the answer, then I feel unfathomably cheated by the responses I received when I asked a similar question (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=76405) some years ago. . . .

JohnM
05-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Earl..., I don't speak Vietnamese, but have read quite a bit about the Vietnam war. I always understood "didi mau" to be an emphatic "get moving!", but just to confirm I checked the web before offering my previous post. This glossary (http://lists.village.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Resources/Glossary/Sixties_Term_Gloss_D_J.html#Letter%20'D') of military and slang terms from the war says:didi mau
slang Vietnamese for "go quickly"Checking an on-line Vietnamese-English (http://ksvn.com/anhviet_new.htm) dictionary, I see no pejorative meanings for "mau" or "mao" or any of their accented variations.

Musicat
05-26-2004, 02:20 PM
As someone who spent some time in Vietman through the courtesy of the US military, I can say that the expression would probably be spelled, "diddy mao," or "ditty mao," and it was pronounced DID-ee MAH-oh. (Run those last two syllables together.) It is a pidgin-Vietnamese slang expression that meant, to us, "Get the fuck out of here! Now!" or "Move your ass!"

GuccizBud
11-07-2016, 01:14 AM
Regardless of the precise translation of the exact words, which is actually all but irrelevant since what everyone wants isn't really a language lesson but to know what the VC would be saying if he were speaking in English, the answer in a nutshell is he was yelling at them to "hurry! Hurry up! Do it now . . . NOW! HURRY UP! HURRY THE FUCK UP AND DO IT *NOW* I SAID!". Right? Right!

Musicat
11-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Well, at least the translation hasn't changed in 12 years. Or 60 years, depending on where you start counting.

engineer_comp_geek
11-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Moderator Action

Since the new post doesn't really add any information, I'm going to put this poor zombie back into his grave.

Anyone interested in this topic is free to open a new thread, most likely in Cafe Society (which didn't exist when the OP was made).

Thread closed.

Best Topics: black jelly beans topless airplane conical buildings safelite quality tetragrammaton tattoo midas brake jobs flip wilson family ventura hwy card carrying democrat navy sailor hat whats prn leftover meatball ideas resemble that remark 100 hydrogen peroxide bank business days demise walls scaggs lowdown air france 296 pippen apples slap your elbow prednisone and bronchitis kidd gloves tsuro tiles jack brakes landscaping company names duplicate title illinois waking up burping motorcycle.jpg rotten cu honors raid spray safety greenies drugs hot cord neimoidians racist styptic pens cheque in usa why does yogurt give me heartburn chandelier cleaner home depot do prisoners still make license plates how common is black hair robert reed daughter karen rietz firefighters put out weed fire 8/7 central pacific time short sheeting the bed what does nitrogen smell like does window insulation film work family feud 200 points first round songs with baby in the title for baby shower tie tucked in shirt 2004 ford taurus windows not working my turning signals stopped working how to get a hotel room for a few hours what does emu taste like inside lane on highway dr. vinnie boombatz heart thumps hard once what is a parcel usps catalina from my name is earl stripping giant snakes in the congo scraping sound when driving how do celebrities get paid full metal jacket is that you john wayne sterile water vs sodium chloride tying off skin tag with dental floss can you have multiple drivers licenses joey bag o donuts how much is a gazillion dollars