PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct form and meaning of this colloquialism.

Voluble
05-26-2004, 10:34 PM
I have often heard my mother say in reference to someone driving too fast that the person was "ballin' the jack". Does anyone know the origin of this phrase? Is this the correct formulation of the phrase? Am I correct about the meaning and if so how does it relate to speed?

I suspect it is probably only used in the southern United States. Please refrain from the obvious play on words in your response unless you have a particularly clever take on it.

Thanks

Larry Mudd
05-26-2004, 10:41 PM
It was a railroadman's term, originally. The "jack" is the engine, and "balling" is going at top speed or very hard.

It worked its way into popular speech through the medium of blues and folk songs.

LSLGuy
05-26-2004, 10:45 PM
I've never heard your phrase before, but in aviation we have a vaguely similar phrase, "balls to the wall", which means using maximum power.

The accepted origin of that phrase is that the throttles and other various levers used to control the engine(s) used to be 6-8" tall steel stalks topped with 3/4" or so bakelite balls for a better grip, usually with engraved numbers to designate which engine they applied to, and often of differing shape or color depending on which engine funtion they controlled.

A WW-II era airplane had between 3 and 5 such levers per engine, which made for a whole mob o' knobs on a multi-engined airplane like B17.

For max power, they were all pushed as far forwards as they'd go, towards the firewall that separates the cockpit from the single engine in the nose of smaller airplanes.

So when you need max power, grab all the balls and shove 'em up to the wall.

Perhaps your phrase is indirectly related, although at this late hour I'm having a hard time coming up with a connection.

Larry Mudd
05-26-2004, 10:57 PM
I think the similarity of the phrase is accidental, LSLGuy. (Neat, though. I always thought it just meant "up against it.")

I dug around and found a fleshed out explanation of the phrase. (http://catskillarchive.com/rrextra/glossry1.Html):HIGHBALL—Signal made by waving hand or lamp in a high, wide semicircle, meaning "Come ahead" or "Leave town" or "Pick up full speed." Verb highball or phrase " 'ball the jack" means to make a fast run. The word "highball" originated from old-time ball signal on post, raised aloft by pulley when track was clear. A very few of these are still in service, in New England and elsewhere.

[...]

JACK—Locomotive. (A term often confused with the lifting device, hence seldom used.)

---From the glossary of Railroad Avenue, by Freeman H. Hubbard, 1945

Colibri
05-26-2004, 11:33 PM
It worked its way into popular speech through the medium of blues and folk songs.

One of the better known songs, Ballin' the Jack (http://niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/thejack.htm) (Burris and Smith, 1913) was about a new dance. The song was popularized in For Me and My Gal (1942).

samclem
05-26-2004, 11:36 PM
http://randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19980508

That's a pretty good site's take on it. "Probably" not from the train expression. Rather the 1913 song about dancing which popularized it.

Colibri
05-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Here's more (http://streetswing.com/histmain/z3balin.htm) on the dance.

From the site:

There are stories that Ballin' the Jack was sung by the African-Americans while laying rail for the rail road companies in the 1890's. The Jack was acommon name for a locomotive (the jackass carrying the load), and Ballin' was the trainmen's hand gestures to 'Highball it' or "High Balling" which means, "faster or to have fun."

Fats Domino also had a hit with the song in the 1950s.

hammerbach
05-27-2004, 12:40 AM
I enjoyed it in Haunted Honeymoon with Gene wilder and Gilda Radner, too.

BillsCreek1952
03-07-2016, 01:29 PM
This is an old southern railroad term from the mid 1800's for "full steam".....going fast. Another similar term used "high balling"

cochrane
03-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Which Larry Mudd mentioned in post #2, way back in 2004.

Scumpup
03-07-2016, 01:47 PM
This is an old southern railroad term from the mid 1800's for "full steam".....going fast. Another similar term used "high balling"

I have heard this too. It is supposed to be a reference to flyball governors.

watchwolf49
03-07-2016, 03:18 PM
I have heard this too. It is supposed to be a reference to flyball governors.

"Balls out" means the governor is at it's maximum extension. Jay Leno's explanation on YouTube (https://youtube.com/watch?v=zfDYgMfuEvY)

Omar Little
03-07-2016, 03:51 PM
"ballin' the jack". Does anyone know the origin of this phrase?

Your dad or some other male figure in your life when you were a small child didn't happen to be named Jack, did they?

Best Topics: deep fried burrito cribbage wiki piss troughs tanzanite mohs scale intertribal warfare burn aluminum cans placenta helper serving suggestions glue for bookbinding atlanta bartending sugarless gatorade folding side mirror car neutral boys compare penises uncontrollable talking enlightened racism vaudeville cane anikor genie ham and motherfuckers pet seagull soap opera ideas keep pizza warm live sex shows is polyester bad kitten managers chicken habitat keel breast comcast recurring charges 15 quid ph isopropyl alcohol truth.com lies dresden porcelain mark motown eq funny chili names what are unpopped popcorn kernels called can you buy cigarettes online legally terminated vs laid off vs fired andy capp pub fries how to pass a home sleep apnea test star trek transporter kills you rowing machines at planet fitness my feet smell like corn chips can you see fleas with a black light what happens if fedex cannot deliver does drano work in toilets heart beats hard once wedding gifts from brother to sister how many songs did elvis presley sing ground beef brown outside finger circle punch game columbia crew remains photos verified by visa newegg monitor flickers then goes black growing taller after 30 a lot of water coming out of exhaust jade empire pc controls difference between inspector and detective what do you call your parents cousin name of a whale penis how much does a cat weight songs written by elvis presley how to open a car hood 3.5 classes by tier fart in a balloon