PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities whose voices grate on your nerves

Guinastasia
06-02-2004, 01:43 AM
I have a feeling Gilbert Godfrey is going to be a popular choice in this thread...

Note-these are not necessarily celebrities you HATE, mind you, just their voices.

But I have to go with Myron Kope. Pittsburghers and Steelers fans will know who I'm talking about. He's a sportscaster for KDKA, as well as a Pittsburgh icon.

But that VOICE! High pitched nasal whine with a thick "Pixburgh" accent. It's enough to make me want to pop my ear drums out with an ice pick!

DataZak
06-02-2004, 01:49 AM
The actress who played Capt. Janeway on StarTrek: Voyager. What was her name? Kate Mulgrew?

She has a nerve grating voice.

Corixidae
06-02-2004, 01:50 AM
Rosie Perez's voice (and general mannerisms) drive me right up the damned wall.

Jennifer Tilly's voice is enough to raise the dead so they can tear off their ears.

Miller
06-02-2004, 01:51 AM
This is something that almost never bothers me. But there is one notable exception: RUSH singer Geddy Lee. Ugh!

Whatsisface from Yes is another one, come to think of it.

Snooooopy
06-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Fran Drescher! Aaaargh!

Gamaliel
06-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Marcel Marceau

Rex Fenestrarum
06-02-2004, 02:38 AM
Fran Drescher makes me limp!

RindaRinda
06-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Melanie Griffith's breathy whine.

David Beckham - I had never heard of him until I came to Japan and experienced World Cup mania. I thought he was quite good-looking, until I heard him speak during a post-game interview. Yiiiiiikes...his stock just plummeted after I heard that flutey nasal voice.

I think most of the people listed have that horrid nasal quality in their voice.

Ephemera
06-02-2004, 02:50 AM
Not sure how to spell his name but Bobcat Goldwaith is like broken glass on a chalkboard.

Murcielago
06-02-2004, 02:58 AM
The blonde with the "little girl" voice on CSI: Miami. I was down on the show anyway, her character finished it for me.

I don't mind Gilbert Gottfried's voice, though I'm biased as I think he is one of the funniest stand-ups I've ever seen.

JoeSki
06-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Julia Lewis. Everything about her bugs the crap out of me. I even decided against renting a animated movie the other day because I discovered she voiced one of the characters.

MidnightRadio
06-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Julia Lewis. Everything about her bugs the crap out of me. I even decided against renting a animated movie the other day because I discovered she voiced one of the characters.Do you mean Juliette Lewis (http://imdb.com/name/nm0000496/)? I actually love her voice when she speaks normally, but when she's doing the redneck thing like in Kalifornia, I can't stand it. I also really hated that movie.

Chefguy
06-02-2004, 06:07 AM
The actress who played Capt. Janeway on StarTrek: Voyager. What was her name? Kate Mulgrew?

She has a nerve grating voice.

I think she channels Katherine Hepburn.

Marley23
06-02-2004, 06:23 AM
I think I agree with everybody listed so far, save Gottfried and Goldthwait. Haven't heard Juliette Lewis in a long time.

I think she channels Katherine Hepburn.
She's played her onstage. But the annoying voice came first.

antechinus
06-02-2004, 06:40 AM
Billy Crystal has the most annoying voice I have ever heard.

I could almost pit him for his voice. Spoiled Monsters Inc. - only movie with him in it worth watching.

Eliahna
06-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Helen Hunt

KidCharlemagne
06-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Some people have this oddly-weak poorly modulated voice, i.e, Keanu Reeves, Andie McDowell, Mimi Rogers, etc.

Billy Crystal drives me nuts as well and, of course, Fran Drescher.

Zoe
06-02-2004, 07:20 AM
I love Andi McDowell's voice! It is so accent free!

Mr. Blue Sky
06-02-2004, 07:26 AM
That screeching bitch on Will & Grace. Why must her voice be so annoying?

James Taylor's singing voice. I can only take one song at a time from him and then I need a couple of days rest.

Gorgon Heap
06-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Aww, Mr. Blue Sky beat me to mine. The "Will and Grace" chick drives me up the damn wall. I can't even watch the show because of her.

Also, though I've never even seen any of her films, I've been spotting commercials for "Joyride" and cringe every time I hear Lele Sobieski speak. She sounds like a man!

Snooooopy
06-02-2004, 07:45 AM

Megan Mullally? Her voice, to me, scrapes the edge of annoyingness ... but she gets bonus points for being pretty hot.

twickster
06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Only one vote for Melanie Griffith? It's merely one element of the whole persona that drives me batshit, but **shudders** they could use it to torture prisoners. I'll be happy to cast two or three votes for her voice, I hate it so much.

And I agree with Murcielago -- Gilbert Gottfried is hysterical, and the voice is part of the shtick. He gets a pass.

Mr. Moto
06-02-2004, 09:06 AM
I have a feeling Gilbert Godfrey is going to be a popular choice in this thread...

Note-these are not necessarily celebrities you HATE, mind you, just their voices.

But I have to go with Myron Kope. Pittsburghers and Steelers fans will know who I'm talking about. He's a sportscaster for KDKA, as well as a Pittsburgh icon.

But that VOICE! High pitched nasal whine with a thick "Pixburgh" accent. It's enough to make me want to pop my ear drums out with an ice pick!

Actually, Guin, it's Myron Cope. Beloved inventor of the Terrible Towel.

He's been around so damn long nobody seems to mind his voice anymore. It's the comforting drone of a family member, by now.

I don't think he'd be a media icon in many other markets in America, though. Because you're right. Ol' Myron has a face made for radio, and a voice made for the sports page.

Anyone who wants to listen to the man in action should go to this site:

http://steelergridiron.com/fanzone/songs.html

and click on the Myron Cope link. Being a transplanted 'yinzer, it brought a tear to my eye.

yellowval
06-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Another one for Megan Mullaly here. I think I'd watch Will and Grace if it wasn't for her.

lavenderviolet
06-02-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that she does that voice on purpose as part of the character's annoying persona. I saw her on a commercial recently where she sounded much more like a normal person. :)

Richard Pearse
06-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Marcel Marceau

Oh come on! He's got a great voice, particularly when he sings. I'm guessing you haven't seen Marceau Unplugged: Live at Pompeii.

Annie-Xmas
06-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Both his grating voice and his cheesy voice make me want some Cheddar whenever I see Gilbert Gottfriend. And Penn (or is it Teller)'s voice is obnoxious.

Marley23
06-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Odds are it's Penn.

Eve
06-02-2004, 09:43 AM
"Every time Fran Drescher laughs, God kills a kitten."

Annie-Xmas
06-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Let's not forget Debra Jo Rupp, Kitty on That 70's Show. I think Fran Drescher should do a guest spot as her sister. Those two laughing together would cause God to wipe out the feline species.

Debra Jo first played Seinfeld's annoying agent, and that's how I'll always remember her.

Evil Death
06-02-2004, 10:21 AM
"Every time Fran Drescher laughs, God kills a kitten."

No need to bring God into it. When Fran Drescher laughs, she kills every kitten in earshot. Milk curdles, silver tarnishes and pregnant women miscarry as she expresses her mirth, and at last count fourteen religious cults had added the sound to their list of signs indicating the forthcoming apocalypse.

Also, anyone who has complained about Juliette Lewis needs to hear Hattie Hayridge attempting the same accent. I'd strangle babies not to have to hear that again.

Steve Wright
06-02-2004, 10:23 AM

She has a nerve grating voice.Or Woman-Who-Talks-Like-Dalek, as I tend to call her. One of the not-good things about Voyager.

Can't help thinking that someone ought to disconnect Jennifer Tilly's helium supply, too ...

lieu
06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Barbra Streisand
Melanie Griffith
Chandler Bing's ex

matt_mcl
06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Rufus Wainwright and Bob Dylan.

I'm terribly sorry, but could we have some consonants please?

lieu
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
I don't think anybody's voice ever made me cringe as much as Bill Clinton's. I seriously would either mute the news each nite when they had his sound blips on or just turn the channel. Dude, just clear your freakin' throat and put a little pressure on the ol' diaphram, okay.

Bush's mumblings aren't any better, although I find what he's saying often makes me cringe worse that his phonetic shortcomings.

Hey, It's That Guy!
06-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Fran Drescher makes me limp!

Funny, Fran Drescher has the EXACT OPPOSITE effect on me! ;)

Ms Boods
06-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I have a friend who can't look at Star Trek: Voyager without adding a 'Conehead laugh' after everything Kate Mulgrew says...

One summer, 1987, I think, the Orioles thought it would be a splendid idea to add Ken Levine to their radio broadcast team (I think they were in between Tom Mars and Joe Angel as Jon Miller's colour man-sidekick).

Jon Miller was brilliant as the Orioles announcer (what you hear on ESPN is not representative!), and TPTB thought, 'Wow, this guy is witty, so what if we added one of the writers from a hit comedy show as his sidekick! Laff riot will ensue!'

I think Mr Levine was a writer for Cheers, which I've never seen, so I'll trust your word for it that it were funny and brilliant -- and maybe Mr Levine was a good writer, but he was terrible for impromtu. That and that he had a high pitched, nasally whine -- think Fran Drescher on helium -- and he thought he was hilarious, so he punctuated every comment with a whinneying laugh.

I don't think he lasted the season...I've blocked it.

Maus Magill
06-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Kelly Rippa, Kelly Rippa, Kelly Rippa.

Did I mention Kelly Rippa?

Freejooky
06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Sarah Vowell, NPR commentator. A bullet in the head would be too nice for this banshee.

Marley23
06-02-2004, 12:27 PM

Not only did you mention her, you spelled her name wrong four times. :D

Maus Magill
06-02-2004, 01:33 PM

Not only did you mention her, you spelled her name wrong four times. :D

Show how much of her show I can stomach.

Lobelia Overhill
06-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Melanie Griffith

Mr. Blue Sky
06-02-2004, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that she does that voice on purpose as part of the character's annoying persona. I saw her on a commercial recently where she sounded much more like a normal person. :)

She's been on Letterman several times (even hosted once) and she seems to have a perfectly normal voice, so why the high decibel assualt on her own show?

gum
06-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Another vote for Rosie Perez.

And Celine Dion. When she sings.

Miller
06-02-2004, 06:22 PM

Regis' time has come
Now that Kathy's gone
Audience fears the Ripa
And her grating nasally whine (It's just daytime TV)
Come on baby (don't fear the Ripa)
Baby take my hand (don't fear the Ripa)
We'll be able to fly (don't fear the Ripa)
On weekdays at noon
La-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la-la

vivalostwages
06-02-2004, 09:57 PM
One more vote for Rosie Perez. And it's not just her voice. Her accent is so heavy that I couldn't make out anything she was saying in Fearless.
(This was in no way intended to be an offensive comment.)

Mr. Blue Sky
06-02-2004, 10:01 PM
And Celine Dion. When she sings.

And when she talks. And when she doesn't talk. And when she exists.

Mehitabel
06-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Another vote for Gottfried. Even Al Bundy couldn't stand him.

Callie Thorne. Not only did her terrible acting help ruin the last season or so of Homicide, but the Burns brothers have been using her as a voice in some of their later documentaries. I was trying to listen to her reading Jane Jacobs in the New York series and her breathy, painfully This! Is! Significant!! delivery made me turn on the closed captioning.

Whoever played Finchy in the UK Office, although I guess the character was supposed to be annoying.

Any of the Monty Python guys trying to do an American accent. Except, obviously, Terry G., which is a shame because he was usually behind the camera.

The Asbestos Mango
06-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Regis' time has come
Now that Kathy's gone
Audience fears the Ripa
And her grating nasally whine (It's just daytime TV)
Come on baby (don't fear the Ripa)
Baby take my hand (don't fear the Ripa)
We'll be able to fly (don't fear the Ripa)
On weekdays at noon
La-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la-la
Man, that was freakin' BRILLIANT

Guinastasia
06-03-2004, 01:11 AM
She's been on Letterman several times (even hosted once) and she seems to have a perfectly normal voice, so why the high decibel assualt on her own show?

Because it's part of the character.

Cope/Kope I always mess that one up. Damn!

Pamela Anderson Lee, that annoying little girly voice...yuck.

Cisco
06-03-2004, 01:20 AM
I came in here just to defend Gilbert Gottfried. He's brilliantly hilarious.

And his name is NOT Godfrey! (Although, funnily, they mean the same thing. Godfrey is just an Anglicized version of the German Gottfried. Still annoys the piss out of me when people call him Godfrey though.)

Marley23
06-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I haven't seen much of his standup, but his performance at the Friars' Club Roast of Hugh Hefner was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Ice T (for reasons even he didn't understand) had gone earlier; he did some self-mocking stuff. Then Gottfied took his turn, yelled that Ice T had stolen his bit, and repeated a good chunk of it.
"First I'm gonna rob all you white motherfuckers. Then I'm gonna fuck all you white bitches..."

TwoTrouts
06-03-2004, 10:42 AM
How about that lady who pushes Glad Plastic Wrap on numerous commercials? Don't know her name, but the baby-ish squeek of her voice drives me batty. I believe there was even a commercial that had both her AND Gilbert Godfrey for a sonic torture session.

And may I add the fingernail-on-a-blackboard grate of Roseanne?

grump
06-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Harvey Fierstein, anyone?

Let's not forget Jon Lovitz or Joan Rivers.

International Playboy
06-03-2004, 11:43 AM
One more vote for Rosie Perez. And it's not just her voice. Her accent is so heavy that I couldn't make out anything she was saying in Fearless.
(This was in no way intended to be an offensive comment.)

She's #1 on my list. I agree it's the combination of her voice and her accent. I refuse to watch any show she's on. I'd much rather hang out with Fran Dreschler or the woman from Will and Grace, at least they're hot.

I also agree that Rosanne should be on the list. I have never seen what made her so popular for awhile.

NaSultainne
06-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Susan Sarandon.

How anyone can find her attractive with that horrid whinnnne is simply beyond me.

Ike Witt
06-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Yeardley Smith- as Lisa she is fine, but otherwise my ears bleed.

Loach
06-03-2004, 01:51 PM
The problem I have with Jennifer Tilley's annoying squeaky voice is that its 100% fake. In real life she doesn't talk like that. But she is such a bad actress she uses that voice for every character she plays.

JayElle
06-03-2004, 02:20 PM
What about Drew Barrymore and that lisping Valley Girl voice?

I can't believe I'm the first person to list Kathy Griffin from Suddenly Susan. She sounds like Harvey Fierstein's sister.

adhemar
06-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Jack Nicholson, cannot stand him, hate his acting (he only has two emotions p*ssed and bored), his voice grates like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Annie-Xmas
06-04-2004, 08:44 AM
No need to bring God into it. When Fran Drescher laughs, she kills every kitten in earshot. Milk curdles, silver tarnishes and pregnant women miscarry as she expresses her mirth, and at last count fourteen religious cults had added the sound to their list of signs indicating the forthcoming apocalypse.

Gee, I wonder if that is what caused the miscarriage of Fran Drescher's only pregnancy. And maybe her ovarian cancer too.

Evil Death
06-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Gee, I wonder if that is what caused the miscarriage of Fran Drescher's only pregnancy. And maybe her ovarian cancer too.

Don't get snippy about it, please. Had I known about these things I would have said something different, but in the UK we're not so obsessed with celebrity trivia (not that it was trivial to her, you understand). Most people here probably don't even know who she is.

lieu
06-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Sandra Bernhard. It's just way too Bostonian valley girlesque.

Annie-Xmas
06-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Sandra Bernhard does have a surprisingly good singing voice. Her CD "Excuses for Bad Behavior" is worth getting for the combination of Hendrix's "Maniac" with Jesus Christ superstar's "I Don't Know How to Love Him."

Kizarvexius
06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
I add my vote to Jennifer Tilly, Gilbert Gottfried, and Rosie Perez. Yeeech.

I would also like to nominate the woman (no idea what her name is) that Fox News drags out for political panel discussions now and then. I believe she was a strategist for the Clinton presidential campaigns, and has a voice that sends me sprawling for the almighty mute button every time. A strong nasal accent with a raspy throat. Fran Dresher meets Bonnie Tyler. Oh, the pain! The pain!

Best Topics: moonshine buy prostate electroejaculation bitten tongue lesbians turned on print signature unusual eyes sinus surgery forum pronounce odysseus floating day human horsepower tony robbins hands vcr plus imdb deliverance ww2 helmet american imdb kelly rutherford going steady definition funny battle cries pronounce calzone heaviest gases night thirst darkside has cookies matrix plot your liege water polo helmet uterus biopsy pain trouble at mill polygamist hair rating matrix trimple of doom zsalynn whitworth how loud would the sun be can i get cashback with a credit card at walmart do pharmacies verify prescriptions is it illegal to put laxative in food can you survive a broken neck has teller ever spoken on camera how many points to fail driving test does valtrex help canker sores what insurance does walgreens accept can alcohol thin your blood how much was a penny worth in 1800 dermatologist mole removal near me ur quan masters walkthrough palm tree in ireland why is my phone echoing what does a gunnery sergeant do best way to play chrono trigger my other brother darrell wolverine regenerates from a drop of blood value of black walnut trees the rifleman the visitor cast couscous pasta or grain can i drain my own cyst credit card spare key how many times can you use a keurig coffee pod will yourself to die green striped rugby shirt blues clues why do vampires need to be invited in bags to keep food frozen knights of columbus rituals how much ammo do soldiers carry