PDA

View Full Version : why is google.com being redirected to google.nl?

Lobsang
06-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Is this happening with anyone else???

Revtim
06-07-2004, 07:48 PM
It isn't redirecting me.

Are you using a Google toolbar? The one for Mozilla defaults to Nicaragua whenever I reinstall it, for some reason.

Berkut
06-07-2004, 07:49 PM
try google.com/ncr and see what you get.

Berkut
06-07-2004, 07:52 PM
The reason I say to try that is that they may have recently enabled something called "Geotargeting" for your area.

Lobsang
06-07-2004, 07:59 PM

I get google.com.

And now I am not being redirected.

that was weird though.

Coldfire
06-07-2004, 08:06 PM
The Dutch are taking over the world. Didn't you get the memo? :)

Actually, I have the reverse frustration. Google.com ALWAYS redirects to .nl for me, and I don't want that! I really think English is a better language for computers than Dutch is. My new PC has a Dutch version of Win XP on it, and I don't understand what the hell it's talking about half of the time. :)

Lady Ice
06-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Getting google.com now. The last couple of days though I've been having trouble pulling it up at all. Seems to be working fine now.

Antigen
06-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Mine tends to go to Google.ca.

Doesn't bother me, though, because I'm still able to find everything I'm looking for. Is the redirect affecting your searches?

Really Not All That Bright
06-07-2004, 10:42 PM
The New California Republic won't exist for a hundred and forty years and it already has a search engine? Maybe this gas price increase is serious...

slortar
06-08-2004, 08:10 AM
I find that Google tends to redirect me when I'm goofing around with the "Regional and Language Options" applet in the windows control panel. Over the weekend, I was monkeying around with some Japanese software and had my computer set to Japanese compatibility mode and found Google pulled up it's Japanese page for me automatically. Went back to normal when I reset everything to English.

Either that or it really is, as Coldfire said, the first blow of the Dutch invasion.

lno
06-08-2004, 08:21 AM
The New California Republic won't exist for a hundred and forty years and it already has a search engine? Maybe this gas price increase is serious...It's the hyperintelligent Deathclaws, I'm telling you!

gum
06-08-2004, 08:56 AM
I guess you only get google.nl when not living in nl.

Oh yeah, we're coming to get you, Lobsang, we'll bring our cheese and clogs to smell you out. :D

Coldfire My computer language is Dutch too. What a pain in the bippy. Is there something to be done about?

Mycroft Holmes
06-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Mine tends to go to Google.ca.

En Franšais? As it says right on the page: Le domaine Google.ca est disponible en: English

06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
It's the hyperintelligent Deathclaws, I'm telling you!
Think Unca Cecil is in on that whole Enclave thing?

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
google redirects to your contry's google, in my case google.com.au to lower congestion on it's main server, or something like that. It doesn't change the search results. There was a gq on this about a month or so ago about google.ca
Cheers
Engine

06-08-2004, 11:11 AM
google redirects to your contry's google, in my case google.com.au to lower congestion on it's main server, or something like that. It doesn't change the search results. There was a gq on this about a month or so ago about google.ca
Cheers
Engine
<hijack> Can I say how very awesome your name is? </hijack>

06-08-2004, 11:45 AM
<hijack> Can I say how very awesome your name is? </hijack>
yes. yes you can. It's awesome.

06-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I wasn't actually going to say it or anything. I just wanted permission. ;)

Colophon
06-08-2004, 01:34 PM
My computer language is Dutch too. What a pain in the bippy.

Tch. Benevolent Bill Gates goes to all the trouble of Dutchifying your Windows User Interface Lifestyle ExperienceSM and you say it's a pain in the bippy? Some folk have no gratitude.

Say, what is a bippy, anyway?

slortar
06-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Incidentally, you should be able to declogify(tm) your computer if you're using xp or 2k (dunno about other windows versions) through the same control panel applet I mentioned below. Just be sure to have your install disk handy.

Beauty Personified
06-09-2004, 03:16 AM
Yes, based on your computer settings, Google will automatically send you to the Google page that corresponds to where you live. I, for example, live in Canada. Whether I click on the Google.com link in my favorites menu, or type Google.com in the address bar, I'll be sent to Google.ca.

As Berkut pointed out, there should be a link to Google.com/ncr on any Google.??? main page that will bring you to Google.com proper. However, the /ncr will not show up in the address bar, or the URL field if you link this page.

If you must insist on going to Google.com proper, save the link to Google.com proper to your favorites folder/menu/ whatever, then edit the properties of the link by adding the /ncr to the URL field address.

I believe, if you use the saved link with the /url addition, you'll always be taken to Google.com proper. (Unless they somehow change the properties of your link on you, which I wouldn't put past them.)

Anyhoo...

gum
06-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Thanks slortar

hehehehe, Colophon I know. I'm an ungrateful dog. A 'bippy' is a delightful word I've learned from a Canadian girl. It means: 'behind, heinie, buttock, butt, or, ummm other words that describe those friendly round parts on the top of your legs.

GuanoLad
06-09-2004, 04:15 AM
I know where you stole it from.

Unless you actually are Adam Hills.

Coldfire
06-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Incidentally, you should be able to declogify(tm) your computer if you're using xp or 2k (dunno about other windows versions) through the same control panel applet I mentioned below. Just be sure to have your install disk handy.And herein lies the problem. I'd love to unclog my machine, but it came preinstalled with Raampjes XP (yeah, it means what you think it means :)), and no installation disk. So it does all the updates in Dutch at well, and so on and so forth.

Damn imperialist clog 'puter.

slortar
06-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Ouch. Now that's a pain. Computer manufacturers who don't include install disks are eeeevil.

Of course, now I'm completely jealous. I want my very own "Raampjes XP" startup screen. :)

Coldfire
06-09-2004, 09:50 AM
I should add that I was joking - the Dutch version is called Windows XP as well. I just translated it for comic effect, and then realised only a Dutchman would get that sort of humour. :D

slortar
06-09-2004, 10:45 AM
I believe that was a sample of that dry European humor that kids these days are so wild about.

06-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Unless you actually are Adam Hills.

I hate when people ask me where it came from. It's horrible to explain.
"You know, the comedian, Adam Hills? No? .... Working Class Anthem? No? .... Melbourne Comedy Festival? No? .... Rove? No? .... Yeh, well it's from him." :wally
If you lived in Melbourne and didn't know who Adam Hills was though, then you should REALLY be ashamed of yourself.

Skeptico
06-10-2004, 06:40 AM
This "geotargeting" behavior occurs with IE browser, but not with Firefox.

acrossthesea
06-10-2004, 07:16 PM
My google.com always directs me to the Japanese google. This made sense when I was in Japan, but considering that this computer that I now use never went online in Japan still redirects me there is a bit odd. I think it may be how my husband set it: he built it.

Richard Pearse
06-11-2004, 09:21 AM
I always get set to google.com.au using Opera, it's no problem though.

don't ask
06-11-2004, 09:34 AM

But I'd like to see, on 60 minutes, the original fireman that Hills stole it from - what has he got out of his claim to fame?

Best Topics: oil tank pipe helper venture hegelian theory boeing b24 best safewords b sharp note mouse in oven dumdum bullets playboy jewery sealed authenticator system cervix freeze dog rib bones jesuit college definition deus ex pronounced posleen war medieval javelin diamond tipped drills remington shotguns walmart what are drumettes jockstraps for women j emails estelle getty nude borrow tools jaws ben gardner firefly correct order kaiser eyewear bernard purdie beatles japanese teeth heinlein collection espn cablevision toyota corolla horn elizabethan marital aids denied home equity line of credit definition of a blow job enter your phone number in international format towel bar for shower light skin couples with swag how long does it take to dig a grave the best of johnny cash vinyl there once was a man from nantucket clean filing down a chipped tooth walgreens prescription return policy can police commandeer a vehicle motorcycle helmet with glasses turn-on episode 1 buses from staten island to new jersey difference between indian and pakistani food how to view steam game files neck pain day after drinking alcohol power girl kingdom come will chlorine tablets kill mosquito larvae how to remove a cast iron tub without breaking it 122/70 blood pressure how much to paint a van dehumidifier vs portable air conditioner where can you get ether what was opie's real name how long can a lizard live in a house are airports open on christmas day does sour milk make you sick should open house be capitalized how many cups of popcorn in a bag sims 4 sims won't sleep together how long does it take for direct deposit to work tempurpedic pillow for neck pain who makes the best brake rotors will lenscrafters put lenses in my frames