PDA

View Full Version : Painting Ski Tops?

633squadron
06-30-2004, 06:53 PM
OK, so this is not an earth-shattering question, but...

I have this "Real Skier Test" document that says in part:

Expert Skier: Gets real pissed off when someone skis over the tops of his skis.
Real Skier: Paints his skis flat black so no one will steal them, worries about the bottoms of his skis, not the tops...

My questions are:
If so, why?
If I tried to do this, would I ruin my skis (even if I was real careful not to get paint on the edges or bases)?
Would I void the warranty?
What type of paint should I use?

jnglmassiv
06-30-2004, 07:14 PM
A real skier would properly lock his/her skis. Other than theft prevention, there's no reason to paint one's skis.

SmackFu
06-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Huh? The painting part is separate from the top/bottom part.

kanicbird
06-30-2004, 07:44 PM
not a GQ but:
My questions are:
If so, why?
Skies look best when they appear new, just like cars. New sort of implies the newest technology (btw skis are high tech gear esp at the high end)

If I tried to do this, would I ruin my skis (even if I was real careful not to get paint on the edges or bases)?

I don't believe so, but this would effect the resale value, and maybe a slight increase in rotational inertia.

Maybe, I don't know

Can't help you tere bud.

The issue I see is functionality vs. fashion. High fashion is just fluff and does nothing for the actual skier. this also leads to greater theft of skis.

The ski itself is a pretty simple tool w/ some critical aspects, there are prised by the 'real skier'. The most importaint one is the sliding surface, where the ptex meets the snow, the edge is also importaint, where the steal meets the ice. Tortional stability is provided inside the ski and a natural camber is also inside the ski. The top is just the advertiziment saying I am a expert skier and steal me - no one's looking.

ShepherdWong
06-30-2004, 08:17 PM
I would worry about the weight.

Popup
07-01-2004, 06:34 AM
If so, why?One other reason is to find the skis more easily.

A friend of mine had a pair of newish Dynastar, but was fed up with there being so many of them. Whenever he left them outside a restaurant, etc, there would be dozens of very similar pairs around. The possibilities of someone taking the wrong skis worried him so much that he painted them bright pink. He used some cheap spray paint that quickly looked rather manky, but at least his skis were unique. Nobody would (accidentaly or on purpose) take them!

And as you say, it's the bottom side that counts.

Colophon
07-01-2004, 06:52 AM
I would worry about the weight.

Say what? Adding probably half an ounce of paint to a pair of skis isn't going to do much - you'd get far more weight than that just in snow building up around your bindings as you ski. In any case, who says heavy skis are bad? A good weighty ski tends to chatter less.

As to the why: the test is obviously rather tongue-in-cheek, and implies that while the so-called "expert" is worried about scratches in his shiny skis, the real hardcore skier couldn't care less, and would rather have a pair of skis he's happy with, and keep them, rather than flaunting the fact that he's got the latest hot brand name.

If you wanted to paint skis, you'd want to make sure the paint you used was flexible, otherwise it would quickly crack and flake off as the skis flex.

enipla
07-01-2004, 09:02 AM
An easy way to help prevent theft is to seperate your skis when you leave them outside the lodge.

js_africanus
07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
My questions are:
If so, why?

The top are purely cosmetic and, unlike cars, the design on the top doesn't do anything to prevent rust or maintian resale value. You should be replacing skis because the old ones are too beaten to hell to be worth much, and if they're not, you keep them for rock skiing in early winter & late spring. (Though, some brands may be known for stress cracks and being able to see the tops can give useful information about the condition of the skis.)

You wouldn't even come close to ruining your skis or affecting their performance. If you are skiing in such a manner that it would affect performance, then you wouldn't do it because you need to display the brand to keep your sponsorhsip. You'd also have a crew with one thermometer in the snow and one in the air to determine the optimal wax to apply for you before you take your run.

You'll have to ask the manufacturer about the warranty thing, but I wouldn't buy a pair of skis from them if the answer was "yes."

Instead of paint you can just use duct tape. A friend of the family did that for decades and never had any hassle. Piece of cake. Alternatively, when you go inside exchange one ski with a ski buddy and place the mixed pairs far apart, or take one inside with you.

Theft-wise, write down the serial number on the skis. If you catch the thief, you're the one with the serial number in your wallet and she isn't. The cops will like that.

Telemark
07-01-2004, 09:56 AM
With telemark skis here on the east coast, my chances of getting skis stolen is fairly low. But at Mad River Glen you can often finds dozens of the same tele ski on the racks, so I put stickers on mine so I can spot them from a distance.

Paint would work, but I like the graphics on my current skis.

Phlosphr
07-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I WOULD NEVER paint my skis (Rossi T3's) or my Snow Board. NEVER EVER!
Plus I ski well enough that I would never allow people to ski over my skis...most avid ski-people avoid other skiers. That said, when I'm up at Mad River, (when I leave the snow board at home) you can try to find me and my wife on PARADISE but it's doubtful! :) AHHH LATE SEASON SUNKEN VW Moguls are the BEST! I wish it wasn't summer.

Oh and telemark - we should git together some winter up there...Mad River is one of our favorite hangouts. Especially when the moguls get bigger towards mid-season...

Best Topics: batshit crazy origin is zzzquil effective playboy ass hole trout sushi gale garnet d2d moving post watershed tube tv donations cheer panties soups to nuts bruising vodka corporate assholes brass knuckles injury philistine insult won't stop bleeding tank license area code 710 grampa simpson quotes united way reviews skin colored markers meijer butane wiki george carlin frasier accent creaming soda trash name pro chef cookware egg sucker what is keecall dremel screwdriver andrea gail found 3.5 tiers bowling cheat twinings vs bigelow earl grey hot water makes my skin itch what does it mean to be cited by police how to fix a whiteboard that won't erase bluetooth cell phone external ringer candle ear wax removal cvs gundam wing number names does cephalexin treat stds most hours on us television songs like mr blue sky is it ok to swallow phlegm home depot key copy machine cookie clicker second ascension is gin and orange juice good hydraulic clutch vs cable clutch take prednisone with food does towing a car put miles on it red and white checkerboard redemption song bob marley meaning missed vein shooting dope lord of the flies nudity what to do with wetlands on your property does robitussin give you diarrhea why do i feel like throwing up when i have to poop what is good to mix with tequila essential johnny cash albums average height of a two story house how to cut through steel woman plays with hair hydrofluoric acid heart attack will ferrell bad doctor to ping someone definition