PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a CPAP machine

simple homer
07-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi All, I am in need of a CPAP machine, and I live in the Philippines, and I will need to pay for a CPAP machine with no help from insurance. I was looking at the machines on this webpage http://cpapman.com/cpap.html
and I would like to hear some recommendations from some experienced users.
Not sure which brands or models are best and why.

Any and all info is appreciated

bare
07-09-2004, 03:26 AM
I highly recommend the Remstar Choice. Mine is 8-10 years old now and I've not had a single problem with it. I particularly like it because it has 12 volt capability and you can use it camping on a motorcycle battery, or car camping on a cigarette lighter socket.

I don't see any listed on the site you posted, although I've seen them there in the past.

A quick perusal of E-bay shows five listed for sale including all the extra gear you'll need in the 100 dollar range which is a steal. I paid over 1500 for mine.

http://search.ebay.com/remstar-choice_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

Largo62
07-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Is there any possibility you can get one on approval? I tried a CPAP (then covered by insurance) about 15 years ago, but I couldn't tolerate it. Some peole tolerate it well and report wonderful results. But it's a big investment in something if you don't know up front that it will work for you. Good luck, whatever you do.

simple homer
07-09-2004, 06:04 AM
DG, i had the CPPP surgery 6 years ago, and now I am having heart problems due to the sleep apnea returning. I was told before the surgery that it might only be a temporary fix, and it was. I really have no choice but to go with a CPAP machine now. Possibly the ones available now are better than the ones of 15 years ago.

bare, thanks for the recommendation, and for reminding me that I need to look on e-bay also, could probably save a lot of money

E72521
07-09-2004, 10:24 AM
In the clinical setting, Respironics is considered to be the leader in noninvasive ventilator/CPAP/BiPAP technology. I am not familiar with their machines designed for home use, so I am not qualified to offer an opinion, but their clinical devices are superior in my professional opinion. And no, I don't work for them and I am not a physician.

I strongly advise you to have your CPAP settings professionally titrated via a sleep study. What feels best is rarely what works best, especially when heart failure is an issue.

simple homer
07-09-2004, 10:37 AM
correction, make that UPPP surgery

Zebra
07-09-2004, 03:16 PM
I use this one.

http://cpapman.com/cpap.html#anchor10262

I don't use the humidifier option.

I love it but I did do the full sleep study and it was prescribed to me.

jdc
07-09-2004, 09:10 PM
GoodKnight 420 CPAP

I have had this one for about 6 months works fine. You should have a sleep study first!

PHILLIPINES
Sleep Disorders Center, Makati Medical Center, Makati City, Phillipines. Tel: 632-8159911
Comprehensive Sleep Disorders Center, St. Lukes Medical Center, Quezon City, Philippines. Tel 632-727-5559

jackelope
07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't have much to add (in fact I'm not entirely certain what a CPAP machine is; I thought the title said "CRAP machine"), but I notice that DeVilbiss makes some of the products on the linked page; I have an emergency nebulizer from DeVilbiss and it's worked perfectly every time I've needed it.

Zebra
07-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Emergency Nebulizer?

I've had to nebulize stuff but never on an emergency basis.

What the heck is an emergency nebulizer?

A CPAP machine is for people who suffer from sleep apena, or really bad chronic snoreing. It's kind of like those air pumps for an aquarium but this pumps a continous preassure of air into you nose so your soft pallet or where ever you get blockage, does not collapse and you don't snore. You also sleep through the night and don't choke. I woke up an average of 36 times an hour in my sleep study with out the machine. With it, I sleep through the night.

simple homer
07-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I am scheduled to have the sleep study done this coming Tuesday. According to my doctor he is aware of only one CPAP machine available locally, so I am trying to gather info about what models are preferred and why. I can always have whatever model I choose shipped from the states.
This will be my third sleep study, so I am familiar with the studies.

Guinastasia
07-10-2004, 02:51 AM
Am I the only one who first saw the title and thought the OP wanted a CRAP machine?

;)

Best Topics: japanese u eskamo pussy flip wilson children what is bx rit dye vinegar odor resistant socks daisy chains nva generals frost light bulb transformer blown half ghost disconnected number tone rayjay johnson bruise gin plain spaghetti noodles raquel welch nudography itself in latin came through meaning tricks 3.5 major mudd episodes 150w bulb motorcycle loan chase oatmeal acid reflux fuck doctors doctors reflector sulfer candles prepare guava storing onigiri mairsey doats gopher tuna public transportation to wrigley field excel turning numbers into dates is teller of penn & teller a mute how do i know what sound card i have arm pain after sneezing what does a first base coach do how many pixels in a 8.5x11 paper what can someone do with your licence plate number cvs someone else pick up prescription read upside down and backwards how much was a bit in the old west how many stamps to send a letter to mexico how to clean a windshield with steel wool frontline at walmart for dogs automatic credit card payment bank of america how to remove a tiny stripped screw what is standard font dilating eyes side effects get off the schneid ticket broker message board demesne too big crusader kings 2 u haul for sale trailers how to buzz your hair two red bumps next to each other no reflexes in knee what is the new volvo commercial about international order of job's daughters cost of this old house projects where to buy monocle high mass vs low mass anice hotel orlando hotel impossible