PDA

View Full Version : Songs that can be played on an eight-note toy xylophone

bordelond
08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
My daughter has got a little toy xylophone. It's got eight keys, going from low-pitched to high-pitched from left to right (I'll refer to these as keys A [low] through H [highest]).

My sister-in-law showed us how to play part of "Joy to the World", like so (in time to the music):

Joy to the world
H-G-F-E

The Lord has come
D-C-B-A

Let earth receive her king
A-B B-C C-D

Let every heart prepare Him room
E-F-G-H ...

And that's about as far as we can remember. We haven't been able to work out the other notes on our own. How would the rest of the first stanza go (through And heaven, and heaven, and nature sing)?

Also, can the house suggest some more songs we could noodle out on the xylophone?

MovieMogul
08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
"Twinkle twinkle little star"

Maus Magill
08-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Ooh! I know this one.

Louie Louie

B-B-B-C-C-D-D-D-C-C

Rinse.
Repeat.

Gulo gulo
08-20-2004, 02:28 PM
My husband and I were on a road trip and for a joke he bought me one of those little xylophones to keep me amused. (Yeah, like that was a smart idea!)

Within a few minutes I had mastered the opening notes of "Those Endearing Young Charms". I'm not sure if that's the title of the song but it's the one that is always played in the cartoons with the stick of dynamite attached to one of the keys that only seems to go off then Wile E. Coyote or another WB baddie plays the tune.

I'd work out the notes for you but the xylophone mysteriously disappeared after that road trip. ;)

keeper0
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
I recently challenged my students to build and program a robot to play an eight note xylophone. (Probably the same one you have, there was only one at Toys R Us. Purple plastic shell, you could play on keys or by hitting the bars yourself.)

The notes are Middle C through High C, with no sharps.

It came with four songs on the back:
Mary Had A Little Lamb
Twinkle Twinkle
Frere Jacques
and I forget the fourth.

One team's robot played "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", which was really impressive. The rest of them kind of played the scales, and not that well mostly.

Jpeg Jones
08-20-2004, 02:44 PM
I'll try to ignore that the keys are named alphabetically (A-H), instead of musically (C-C). You need to make some changes to your Joy of the World routine:

Joy to the world
H-G-F-E

The Lord has come
D-C-B-A

E-F F-G G-H

Let every heart prepare Him room
H H-G-F-E E-D-C...

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
08-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Joy to the world
H-G-F-E

The Lord has come
D-C-B-A

A-B B-C C-D

Okay, you're going wrong there. It should be:

E-F F-G G-H

Let ev'ry heart prepare him room
H-H-G-F-E-E D-C (repeat)

And heav'n and natu-ure sing
C-C-C-C-C-D-E

A-and heav'n and natu-ure sing
D-C-B-B-B-B-C-D

A-and heaven
C-B-A-H

And hea-eaven and nature sing
F E D-C D C B A

I Love Me, Vol. I
08-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Doesn't "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" have an accidental in it? I'm thinking right around the "If they don't win it's a shame" part.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
08-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey, how about this one:

What would you do if I sang out of tune?
C D E E D C B C D D

Would you stand up and walk out on me?
D D C B B B A B C

(repeat for next two lines)

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
E A C B A-A A-A A A A A (play three times)*

Do you need anybody?
C E H H H G F

I just need someone to love.
B C C B C B A

(repeat above two lines)

Fancy ending:

Yes, I get by with a little help from my friends
C B C B A-A A-A A A A A

[i]With a little help from my frie-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ends![i]
A-A A-A A A A H G F E B B B A-B C

* You can get away with playing those "A-A"s as just one A each, and it will probably sound better.

bordelond
08-20-2004, 03:17 PM
I'll try to ignore that the keys are named alphabetically (A-H), instead of musically (C-C).

Sorry about that ... can't really read music. But I figure the musically-inclined could effortlessly imagine this little xylophone in their head, and work out rough melodies.

However, you could perhaps post a conversion chart.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
08-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Doesn't "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" have an accidental in it? I'm thinking right around the "If they don't win it's a shame" part.
You're right; and there's also one on "Buy me some peanuts..." Even worse, it goes outside the one-octave range on "...if I never get back." the bots must have cheated.

Oh, and the "Endearing Young Charms" tune goes:

C B A B A A C E D F H H

I don't know the rest; that's as far as Yosemite Sam ever got. Be sure there's no dynamite wired to the "H" before attempting this.

bordelond
08-20-2004, 03:50 PM
You're right; and there's also one on "Buy me some peanuts..." Even worse, it goes outside the one-octave range on "...if I never get back." the bots must have cheated.

Can't this be kind of worked around in an eight-note universe? It won't sound great to musicians, but something in the ballpark ( :smack: ) should be possible.

(Biffy ... thanks for the Joe Cocker! Very cool.)

:)

Katisha
08-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Oh, and the "Endearing Young Charms" tune goes:

C B A B A A C E D F H H

I don't know the rest; that's as far as Yosemite Sam ever got. Be sure there's no dynamite wired to the "H" before attempting this.

Heh. Just for the heck of it, here's how the whole thing goes, as best as I can remember the tune:

C B A B A A C E D F H H
G F E D C B A B C
C B A B A A C E D F H H
G F E H C B A B A
E D C E H H
E E F D H H
G F E D C B A B C
C B A B A A C E D F H H
G F E H C B A B A

rowrrbazzle
08-20-2004, 05:42 PM
* indicates cheated out-of-range notes.

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

A H F E C E B
A H F E C E
F E* F C D E F D B
F F F G H G* G F E
C B A H F E C E B
B A B C D E F
F G H H H G F E
D E F G H

Brahms' lullaby

C C E C C E
C E H G F F E
B C D B B C D
B D G F E G H
A A H F D E
C A D E F E
A A H F D E
C A D C B A

Beethoven's "Ode to Joy"

C C D E E D C B A A B C C B B
C C D E E D C B A A B C B A A
B B C A B C D C A B C D C B A B E*
C C D E E D C B A A B C B A A

Jpeg Jones
08-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Sorry about that ... can't really read music. But I figure the musically-inclined could effortlessly imagine this little xylophone in their head, and work out rough melodies.

However, you could perhaps post a conversion chart.

Your toy xylophone is based on a major scale.

On a piano, the major scale played on only white keys is a C Major scale. And once you get to G, you cycle around again and start with the letter A.

So, here's your conversion chart:

A B C D E F G H
C D E F G A B C

Now, we can't guarantee that the eight notes on your toy xylophone actually correspond to the key of C. But if you want to talk musicianspeak, it's just convenient to say that the top and bottom keys are each a C, an octave apart.

And, just a note to other theory nuts reading this, I don't want to hear a word about H being the same as B in German!

CalMeacham
08-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Do-ReMi ("Doe, A Deer" from The Sound of Music) can be done without sharps or flats, and I think in only a single octave.

You can almost do the "Colonel Bogey March" (the one from Bridge on the Rivr Kwai).

Bryan Ekers
08-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Be sure there's no dynamite wired to the "H" before attempting this.
Oh, the dynamite can be on H; just keeping hitting G by accident until the person who rigged the dynamite is sufficiently irritated to intervene.

dougie_monty
08-21-2004, 05:28 PM
My little brother, age 4 then, got a toy piano for Christmas in 1965. It had the black keys painted on; the range was approximately 1 1/2 octaves. My sister, age 14 at the time, used to play simple tunes on it.

dangermom
08-21-2004, 06:14 PM
A xylophone can also play that little fanfare they play at the start of horse races.

Fish
08-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" could be:

b b-b c e f g, c e f g f e c e f g f e

if I've got the conversion right.

Snooooopy
08-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey, how about this one:

What would you do if I sang out of tune?
C D E E D C B C D D

(snip)

I was going to suggest any Beatles tune that Ringo sings, as his bandmates were careful to write for his extremely limited vocal range.

The Asbestos Mango
08-21-2004, 09:35 PM
"Smoke on the Water"?

***ducks and flees***

umop ap!sdn
08-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Do-ReMi ("Doe, A Deer" from The Sound of Music) can be done without sharps or flats, and I think in only a single octave.

Heh... that was the first tune I ever learned to play when I was a kid, and yes it was on a one octave xylophone w/o sharps or flats.

Here it is in regular CDE format and my attempt at the OP's strange format ;) :

Doe, a deer, a female deer
C D E C E C E
A B C A C A C

Ray, a drop of golden sun
D E F F E D F
B C D D C B D

Me, a name I call myself
E F G E G E G
C D E C E C E

Far, a long long way to run
F G A A G F A
D E F F E D F

Sew, a needle pulling thread
G C D E F G A
E A B C D E F

La, a note to follow so
A D E F G A B
F B C D E F G

Tea, a drink with jam and bread
B E F G A B C*
G C D E F G H

That'll bring us back to do-o-o-o-o-oh.
C* B A F B G C* G F E D C
H G F D G E H E D C B A

Note: C* indicates high C, the highest note on the instrument.

It's been a while though so my memory could be a little bit rusty.

emekthian
08-22-2004, 03:23 AM
You can play the Futurama opening song on a toy xylphone. Unfortunately, I don't have access to one now, so I can't give the notes. But it's definately possible.

Jman
08-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Ooh! I know this one.

Louie Louie

B-B-B-C-C-D-D-D-C-C

Rinse.
Repeat.

Um...no. That's not right.

in the key of C, it'd be: C-C-C-F-F-G-G-G-F-F At least, for the beginning.

c_carol
08-22-2004, 04:50 PM
"Smoke on the Water"?

***ducks and flees***
My brother's girlfriend's five-year-old has a toy guitar that has six or seven surprisingly realistic "chords" played by pressing buttons on the fretboard. My dad the guitar fanatic plays "Smoke on the Water" on it, to the kidlet's endless delight.

I have an odd family.

dougie_monty
08-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Do ducks have fleas? :D

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
08-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Do ducks have fleas? :D
They mite.

keeper0
08-23-2004, 02:40 PM

I probably should have stated how LONG the robot played it. I think it only played the first two lines. It was still head and shoulders above any of the other groups.

I'll link to a video of it here when I update the class website. (Unfortunately, no sound)

dougie_monty
08-23-2004, 03:29 PM
They mite.
That really bugs me. :D
(Dody Goodman once wrote a book mentioning a group called The Armpits, who had a hit with a song "Don't-a-Bug-a-Me Baby." :D )

keeper0
08-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Here is a link to the webpage with pictures and movies of the robots playing the xylophone. I think you will agree that none of them do it particularly well, which is why I will probably give it again as a project this semester.

Musical Robots (http://engr.udayton.edu/faculty/mturner/Mechatronics/Summer%202004/Final%20Project/FinalProj.htm)

The first movie is of the group that played "Take Me Out To The Ballgame", but on one of their poorer runs. Their timing relied a bit too much on the arm being started in exactly the right position.

(The minimum criteria was to play four notes on two keys with some semblance of rhythm and capable of playing a different song from software changes alone.)

dougie_monty
04-03-2013, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=The Asbestos Mango***ducks and flees***[/QUOTE]

Ducks and fleas and geese better scurry
When I take you out in a surrey...:D

gaffa
04-03-2013, 02:35 AM
As befitting a resurrected zombie?

The theme from Tubular Bells (aka the theme from The Exorcist): (http://youtu.be/GfrfIkJEs04)
E-A-E-B-E-G-A E-C-E-D-E-B-C

Malacandra
04-03-2013, 03:49 AM
The First Nowell - one octave C - c, no accidentals.

bump
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
I can get pretty close to "Yankee Doodle" on one of my son's xylophone toys, but most of them have the wrong set of notes for it to sound right.

tim314
04-03-2013, 10:01 AM
At least the first part of the Star Wars theme.

Sorry it makes me too crazy to write it with 1=A, 2=B... because notes already have letter names, and those aren't them. (Actual A-B-C-D-E-F-G-highA would give you a minor scale.) I know, I'm way too OCD/pedantic...

Moe
04-12-2013, 05:37 AM
The [Zombie] Lion Sleeps Tonight

Quercus
04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Ooh! I know this one.

Louie Louie

B-B-B-C-C-D-D-D-C-C

Rinse.
Repeat.Um...no. That's not right.

in the key of C, it'd be: C-C-C-F-F-G-G-G-F-F At least, for the beginning.
You can actually make a decent version of it on a 5-note toy piano, if you can play two notes at a time:
[I agree that the OP's A to H scheme is better replaced by a 1 to 8 scheme, so I'm using that]

1+5 (repeat three times), 1+4 (repeat two times), 2+5 (etc.)

EmilyG
04-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Brahms's Lullaby

Finlandia (main theme) by Sibelius

When The Saints Come Marching In

Oh Susanna

Row Row Row Your Boat

Two Beatles songs: Nowhere Man and All My Loving

A La Claire Fontaine (French folk song)

I'll post more later if I can think of any more. :)

EmilyG
04-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Some more:

Theme from ''Spring'' by Vivaldi

On Top of Old Smokey

This Old Man

3 Blind Mice

Twinkle Little Star

Old McDonald

London Bridge

The First Noel

Big Rock Candy Mountain

Maybe also Blowing In The Wind.

Malacandra
04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Some more:

Theme from ''Spring'' by Vivaldi

On Top of Old Smokey

This Old Man

3 Blind Mice

Twinkle Little Star

Old McDonald

London Bridge

The First Noel

Big Rock Candy Mountain

Maybe also Blowing In The Wind.

No, you have to use note 0 right on the last but one.

Another hymn tune, Eudoxia, uses only the lowest five notes.

The Skye Boat Song, six notes pentatonic. (1-2-4-5-6-8)

Chelsea Thomas
12-16-2013, 01:42 AM
I looked up how to play jingle bells on the piano and it seems that you can play it on xylophone as well so here it is.( I only know it in numbers so A B C D and E is just 1 2 3 4 and 5)

Hope you like it, sorry if its bad.

Malacandra
12-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Yes - unfortunately you can only play the refrain; the chorus goes out of range. (An old thread, but revived earlier this year, and if you can't talk about toy xylophones at Christmas then when can you?)

araminty
12-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Nitpick: xylophones are made of wood. Glockenspiel is a better general term for tuned percussion instruments.

flaming yawn
12-17-2013, 07:38 AM
I know what I want for christmas now.....

Plus an easy tune i bet would be "love me tender" by elvis as I learned to play that on a Merlin game in the 80's 1434 525..... i think it was a Merlin game.

Malacandra
12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Nitpick: xylophones are made of wood. Glockenspiel is a better general term for tuned percussion instruments.

True, but the typical child's toy has bars which are made of such thin metal they don't really have the proper ringing tone of a glockenspiel, and are more xylophonic in character even though not made of wood.

DChord568
12-17-2013, 02:17 PM
"Twinkle twinkle little star"

Family legend has it that I demonstrated early musical prowess when I was given a toy xylophone for Christmas at age 3 and soon was able to play this song by ear.

philobrain64
07-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Brahms's Lullaby

Finlandia (main theme) by Sibelius

When The Saints Come Marching In

Oh Susanna

Row Row Row Your Boat

Two Beatles songs: Nowhere Man and All My Loving

A La Claire Fontaine (French folk song)

I'll post more later if I can think of any more. :)

Sorry to bother... I'm not musically inclined at all. The only 'instrument' I play is an 8 button arduino computer that I've built and thus I am visiting this page to find songs to play. How could I play Finlandia? I am not able to play things by ear, not even close. But I love Finlandia and it's my school's Alma Mater so I'd love to be able to play. Also, I can't read sheet music.

If you could, I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide how to play the main theme with notes 1-8, C-C, or A-H. 1-8 is preferred but anything works. Hope you see this and hope you are so kind as to fulfill my request.

Your Great Darsh Face
07-23-2015, 01:58 PM
"Wooden Heart", which I remember playing on my girlfriend's calculator (which could play tones) back in about 1981. It goes like this:

123, 354, 4656543, 56543, 354, 432, 5, 3; 123, 354, 4656543, 56543, 354, 432, 3, 1; 132, 234, 23, 2345, 556, 6, 8, 765; 123, 354, 4656543, 56543, 354, 456, 7, 8.

Ethilrist
07-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

FFDFFFE
FFDFFDFGFE
and generally round and round and round on those four notes forever.

paulalovescats
12-28-2016, 02:29 PM

The person answered that the robot only played the first two lines, but NO, it's not that line you're thinking of. The accidentals are in "Buy ME some peanuts" "Three strikes you're out AT the old ball game." Accidentals in caps.
Also, if the robot had gone on it would have run out of notes. That song goes past 8 notes on "E-ver get back".

pentatonika
01-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Here is a song which can be played on a one-octave xylophone very easily:

I have a little puppy (monotone on low C)
He has a stubby tail, (monotone on D)
He isn't very chubby, (monotone on E)
He's skinny as a rail. (monotone on F)
He'll always be a puppy, (monotone on G)
He'll never be a hound, (monotone on A)
They sell him at the butcher's store (monotone on B)
For thirty cents a pound. (monotone on high C)

Bow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, (descending scale)
HOT DOG! (high C, low C)

bibliophage
01-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Camptown Races (https://8notes.com/scores/3821.asp)

ETA: Didn't notice this was a resurrectionist thread. Are there any zombie songs that fit?

buddha_david
01-21-2017, 07:43 PM
I was able to play the xylophone line in Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" on a toy xylophone.

Guest-starring: Id!
01-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Bohemian Rhapsody shouldn't be too hard to nail.

shark attack scenes in Jaws?

Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack?

Iron Man?

My Sharona?

World at War theme?

JKellyMap
01-22-2017, 07:08 AM
I was able to play the xylophone line in Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" on a toy xylophone.

Ha. My go-to song for these toys is another 80s pop tune with a memorable glockenspiel melody: "Forever," by Little Steven [Van Zandt] and the Disciples of Soul.

I think it has one accidental in it, though, so I have to kind of muff over that note.

Elemenopy
01-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Ah, most of the ones I thought of were named. But here's some others I've played on my kids' Fisher-Price Xylo/Glock without too much "muffing" (and overlooking key changes)

Sweet Caroline
Windy (the Association)
Whiskey Bar (Doors)(with some double-note fakery)
California Dreamin'
A fair approximation of the Swan Lake theme

outlierrn
01-23-2017, 01:27 AM
You can do a reasonable blues based on the 5th of the instrument. That is, if it's in C major, play a G blues.

panache45
01-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Sorry to bother... I'm not musically inclined at all. The only 'instrument' I play is an 8 button arduino computer that I've built and thus I am visiting this page to find songs to play. How could I play Finlandia? I am not able to play things by ear, not even close. But I love Finlandia and it's my school's Alma Mater so I'd love to be able to play. Also, I can't read sheet music.

If you could, I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide how to play the main theme with notes 1-8, C-C, or A-H. 1-8 is preferred but anything works. Hope you see this and hope you are so kind as to fulfill my request.

The very first app I got on my new iPhone is a one-octave keyboard called "Real Piano". I can play the main theme of Finlandia with only six notes, C through A:

EDEFEDECDDE
EDEFEDECDE
GGGAEEGGDDF
FEDECCDEE
GGGAEEGGDDF
FEDECCEDCC

K364
01-23-2017, 11:06 AM
If you have autotune you can play anything great.

MonkeyMensch
01-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Funny enough, the iconic film scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind has the young boy tapping out the famous five note alien greeting on his toy xylophone. He needs a two octave model (and has one) in order to do this. Just for fun...

Best Topics: rat trap walmart transparent cd caucasian surnames old spice centaur mental tourettes claudia corriere frank burns van murals carmen miranda upskirt pronounce citroen worrying fusion switzerland initials multivariate hypergeometric distribution huge booger removal cheerleaders without spankies walgreen eye exam tracie lords movies replacement car headrests decon traps plugged ears ringing avia dental care octane uses maltodextrin aspartame ff12 vanish terminal degree definition accountant green visor hyper genius ammonia and clorox sweet smelling tree catfighting message what's a vixen can you freeze crab cakes walgreens ink cartridge refills thundercats theme song lyrics lysol kill mold spores why do they say he is risen largest river in the world by volume is jailbreaking a fire stick illegal is adult friend finder legit? longest human pregnancy guinness book place of birth on passport hearing goes out in one ear ringing how many hours do firefighters work to knit in spanish what happens if a college loses accreditation can i use google voice on a phone without service how to syringe feed a cat why do hamsters run craigslist posting not showing up 2 prong to 3 prong adapter safe mixed drink with dr pepper does aleve help period cramps lightweight terry cloth robe putting viagra in someones drink difference between cobweb and spider web highest air pressure humans can survive uhaul cargo trailer for sale parkas with fur hoods xm radio rush limbaugh can't get to heaven on the frankford el can you say sex on the radio