PDA

View Full Version : why no liquid ibuprofren?

Freejooky
09-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Why hasn't anyone marketed liquid ibuprofren? The closest we have are "liquicaps" or "liqui gels" that are aborbed faster- but why not a robitussin-like bottle of it? It would truly be a five-minute headache cure with how quickly it'd be absorbed.

lno
09-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Liquid ibuprofen is on the market in the robitussin-like bottle you describe. The quickest example I can find is Children's Motrin Ibuprofen Oral Suspension, Dye-Free Berry Flavor.

From Motrin's faq (http://motrin.com/products/adult/detail.jhtml?id=motrin/products/faq/faqmotrin.inc):In 1989, prescription ibuprofen suspension liquid was approved in the United States for children six months of age and older. In 1995, Children's Motrin® Ibuprofen Suspension was cleared for marketing as an over-the-counter product.However, there's a noticeable lack of "Adult-Strength Liquid Ibuprofen", and I don't know why that is so. I'm curious about this myself, and have emailed Motrin for an answer.

09-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Just speculation, but a bottle of adult-strength ibuprofren would probably contain enough to be deadly if a child got a hold of it and drank it down. So why would a company expose themselves to the liability (from our sue-happy society) of this?

It's not likely that this would result in any net increase in their sales, since the customers for the liquid version will just come from their existing customers for the capsules or gels.

Exapno Mapcase
09-10-2004, 04:15 PM
The purpose of most pills, in all their varied forms, is to buffer the actual medication against the acids in the stomach to allow them to reach the intestines intact, where they can be absorbed.

Liquid formulations are usually not as effective as pills are.

My surmise (stronger than a WAG) is that since children have less stomach acidity and need smaller dosages in the first place, a liquid ibuprofen is feasible for them but problematical for adults.

Ethilrist
09-10-2004, 04:23 PM
I could also see an adult with a headache taking a huge overdose of liquid medicine even though they wouldn't take, say, twenty pills...

UrbanChic
09-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Just speculation, but a bottle of adult-strength ibuprofren would probably contain enough to be deadly if a child got a hold of it and drank it down. So why would a company expose themselves to the liability (from our sue-happy society) of this? Tylenol makes an adult-strength liquid, so I doubt that's the reason.

Joe Mahma
09-10-2004, 04:41 PM
The purpose of most pills, in all their varied forms, is to buffer the actual medication against the acids in the stomach to allow them to reach the intestines intact, where they can be absorbed.

Liquid formulations are usually not as effective as pills are.

Liquids can be buffered too.

Do you have a cite for the assertion that liquid formulations are usually not as effective as pills?

GingerOfTheNorth
09-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Tylenol makes an adult-strength liquid, so I doubt that's the reason.
Tylenol is acetaminophen, not ibuprofen.

Canadjun
09-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Tylenol is acetaminophen, not ibuprofen.
He didn't say it was ibuprofen. He was answering the hypothesis that people might drink the equivalent of 20 tablets if there was a liquid version, and they can certainly do that for liquid versions of Tylenol (and OD'ing on Tylenol is not a pleasant experience).

Best Topics: grape pop tarts antonym of irony moth poop installshield installation information non alkaline battery hay bail price ice evaporate glasses screw 2g phone ancorman song lab ethanol pistachio poison orient occident cost of versailles hooker motel alexander in russian expired bacon vacuuming sinuses huedo spanish miss teschmacher superman plumpy'nut amazon expanse julie mao allergy pneumonia transatlantic accent learn andrew hardin united states grammar dried eggs walmart sulfuric acid walmart ashley pridgen nude excessively curbed fig newton commercial alumnae vs alumna nair on head bmi 36 president and vice president from different parties enterprise rent a car mileage policy jatech disappearing car door one wiper not working sore ankles in the morning long john silvers coleslaw wifi adapter for computer tower unzip mac files on pc microwave time to boil water firefox failed to read the configuration file burning the midnight oil origin most pushups in 24 hours how much is emerald worth best navy ship to be stationed on digital clock losing time loperamide and black pepper thank you letter for panel interview who killed lester at the end of american beauty drinking every other day can you daisy chain routers remove stickers from books cost of purebred golden retriever why does splitting an atom create so much energy what size is my girlfriend rear air deflector for suv do sesame seeds digest what time is a quarter to 3 digital audio cable orange buy back books barnes and noble purpose of a washer