PDA

View Full Version : Commonly Accepted TV Legends That Are BS

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm a fairly knowledgeable, regular watcher of the original Star Trek, and over the years have watched one or two scenes with Kirk and guest actresses get blown up into CAPTAIN KIRK BANGED LOTSA GREEN ALIEN CHICKS!

No, never really happened. There's only one actual scene that even hints to the fact that Kirk actually had sex with a woman (they're in his quarters, and we get a one-second shot of him pulling his boot on).* He had ex-girlfriends in a couple episodes, used a couple women to defeat the bad guys, but nothing like the comedians would have you believe. Some uber-fan even has a site listing all Kirk/female encounters, and they're all pretty tame stuff.

So, what are other commonly accepted television myths that, upon closer examination, are nonsense or hyperbole? You can either mention the fictional world of the characters, or if you like, myths about the actors, whatever, on a show.

Sir Rhosis

*Kirk, suffering from amnesia, married a transplanted Indian, and they were expecting a child before she got stoned, but he wasn't himself. God, that does sound very 1960s, doesn't it?

Mr. Blue Sky
12-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Johnny Carson and Raquel Welch's (or whatever female celebrity you want) cat.

Supposedly the female celebrity brought her cat on the show and had it in her lap. She asks Johnny, "Would you like to pet my pussy?", to which Johnny supposedly says, "Yeah, if you move that damned cat!"

Johnny addresed this on an anniversary show and says it never happened. The fact that the female celbrity's name changes and no on can remember the date exactly makes it BS.

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 11:40 AM
What about the "Jack Nicklaus' wife admits she rubs his balls before a tournament for luck" story? I'm assuming that is an urban legend as well. What venue did it suppposedly take place in -- Carson, also?

Sir Rhosis

Frank
12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
"In the butt, Bob."

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Butt (:D) that one did happen, sort of.

Any more like my OP involving the actual fictional world of the characters?

Sir Rhosis

BobT
12-04-2004, 12:23 PM
What about the "Jack Nicklaus' wife admits she rubs his balls before a tournament for luck" story? I'm assuming that is an urban legend as well. What venue did it suppposedly take place in -- Carson, also?

Sir Rhosis

Except it was Arnold Palmer's wife, Winnie, and she claimed to kiss his balls for good luck before a tournament.

sassylady
12-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Johnny Carson and Raquel Welch's (or whatever female celebrity you want) cat.

Supposedly the female celebrity brought her cat on the show and had it in her lap. She asks Johnny, "Would you like to pet my pussy?", to which Johnny supposedly says, "Yeah, if you move that damned cat!"

Johnny addresed this on an anniversary show and says it never happened. The fact that the female celbrity's name changes and no on can remember the date exactly makes it BS.
That was Zsa Zsa Gabor and it indeed happened. It was shown as part of an anniversary show.

Mr. Blue Sky
12-04-2004, 12:37 PM
That was Zsa Zsa Gabor and it indeed happened. It was shown as part of an anniversary show.

No, it didn't. (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/zsazsa.htm)

Unless you happen to have a tape, of course.

Marley23
12-04-2004, 12:38 PM
"In the butt, Bob."
"In the ass." (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/newlywed.htm)

Ninja Pizza Guy
12-04-2004, 12:46 PM
The myth that reality TV is worth watching. And especially the myth that Survivor is interesting.

JThunder
12-04-2004, 12:58 PM
There's only one actual scene that even hints to the fact that Kirk actually had sex with a woman (they're in his quarters, and we get a one-second shot of him pulling his boot on).*
Um, have you forgotten about Miramanee?

A different type of situation, I realize.

JThunder
12-04-2004, 01:01 PM
*Kirk, suffering from amnesia, married a transplanted Indian, and they were expecting a child before she got stoned, but he wasn't himself. God, that does sound very 1960s, doesn't it?
Okay, my bad. I see now that you did remember that scene after all.

We do agree that this wasn't the same type of situation at all, of course.

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Yes, Kirk marrying and being in love should not be lumped with "banging." Nor should the visits of ex-girlfriends, where perhaps they might have a moment or two of "what might have been" dialogue be lumped in with the legends. For the most part that leaves us with "Kirk pretends to be interested to solve the plot," a category into which we can place most all of the rest of the encounters he ever had.

He simply was not a space-age gigolo, with a girl at every spaceport.

Different topic. A lot of people falsely remember that Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) always tripped over the ottoman, but in many eps opening credits, he smugly sidestepped it. Question: Was there a rhyme or reason to what credits (tripped or sidestepped) preceded what episode? Early seasons vs. later seasons, perhaps?

Sir Rhosis

betenoir
12-04-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm a fairly knowledgeable, regular watcher of the original Star Trek, and over the years have watched one or two scenes with Kirk and guest actresses get blown up into CAPTAIN KIRK BANGED LOTSA GREEN ALIEN CHICKS!

No, never really happened. There's only one actual scene that even hints to the fact that Kirk actually had sex with a woman (they're in his quarters, and we get a one-second shot of him pulling his boot on).* He had ex-girlfriends in a couple episodes, used a couple women to defeat the bad guys, but nothing like the comedians would have you believe. Some uber-fan even has a site listing all Kirk/female encounters, and they're all pretty tame stuff.

Oh c'mon. This was television in the '60's. Of course it was tame stuff. What did you expect them to show? Said comedians are just exptrapolating what really would have happened after Kirk pressed those space chicks to his manly bosem.

When I was a kid I didn't figure out for the longest time that Hawkeye was banging all those nurses. I mean they didn't show anything but hugging and kissing. It was only that one episode where he said he "couldn't". And suddenly the scales fell from my eyes. Ok, this was mostly due to to my being a kid. But that's the point...even in the 70's they didn't show that much. But you were supposed to figure it out.

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 01:33 PM
^^^Not the same. The very very very clear implication is there that Hawk is banging nurses. It is not there for Kirk (except the case I noted). This is, as I noted, just comedians and horny teenaged fans going well beyong any implications.

Sir Rhosis

betenoir
12-04-2004, 02:01 PM
If you say so. But I think the implication is just as resonable to make there as it was in countless Code era movies. Even if it was being made be horny teenagers :)

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 02:13 PM
bet, really, I'm just be very literal, the impications are there that he had a way with the ladies, I'm just pointing out cases of it being FIRMLY IMPLIED WITH NO DOUBT that Kirk literally had sex. So, I'm just reacting to the charge that he was "ALWAYS banging." Most of the time, he'd be, as you said, "hugging them to his manly bosom," they would spill the beans he needed, and he'd be out the door, phaser in hand. No actual sex.

Just bored, today.

Sir Rhosis

Nonsuch
12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Well, talking of Star Trek (I'm amazed no one has mentioned this), Captain Kirk never actually said "Beam me up, Scotty" on any episode of the show. Likewise, Ralph Kramden never said "Bang zoom, to the moon!" to Alice.

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 10:32 PM
^^^What did Ralp say, then? It was close to that, right.

And in the 1986 ST film, The Voyage Home, Kirk says, "Scotty, beam me up." It was written the classic misremembered way, but for whatever reason, Shatner refused to say "Scotty" at the beginning of the line.

Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 10:34 PM
I meant, of course to say that Shatner refused to say th name "Scotty" at the END of the line.

Ethilrist
12-04-2004, 10:37 PM
One of the most commonly accepted legends overall:

That burning cars explode shortly after they catch fire.

Examples are too numerous to cite.

Nonsuch
12-04-2004, 10:39 PM

He would say "Bang, zoom!" or he would say "You're goin' to the moon, Alice!", but he never said them together as many think he did.

Walloon
12-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Snopes (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/palmer.asp) on the Mrs. Arnold Palmer story ("False").

Ephemera
12-04-2004, 10:52 PM

And in the 1986 ST film, The Voyage Home, Kirk says, "Scotty, beam me up." It was written the classic misremembered way, but for whatever reason, Shatner refused to say "Scotty" at the [end] of the line.

Sir Rhosis

Huh. I've never read that in any of the books I've read.

If true (and I have no reason to not believe it), the answer is simple: Shatner was (is?) an egocentric asshole. I love him now that he's embraced his inner ham and laughs along with everyone else but in decades past, the man was impossible.

Peter Morris
12-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Well, talking of Star Trek (I'm amazed no one has mentioned this), Captain Kirk never actually said "Beam me up, Scotty" on any episode of the show. Likewise, Ralph Kramden never said "Bang zoom, to the moon!" to Alice.

Just the facts, Ma'am. (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/dragnet.htm)

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Aesiron, I've heard for years about Shatner changing the wording in the line for the film. Rumor has it that he did not want "Scotty" to be the last person referenced in the line, instead he wanted himself ("me") to be last referenced, thus more emphasis on him.

It sounds a bit dubious, but perhaps he just didn't want to actually voice what had become a culturally iconic (cliche) line.

Sir Rhosis

Ephemera
12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm inclined to believe it but, then again, I've recently read Takei's "To the Stars" and am probably a little biased by his obvious bitterness towards Shatner.

Priam
12-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Or maybe for the fact that it doesn't make an incredible amount of sense. When you want to grab someone's attention in order to make them do something, you generally say their name. "Scotty, beam me up" makes more contextual sense IMHO than "Beam me up, Scotty".

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Priam, very good point, as indeed Shatner puts a slight pause after "Scotty," as we would in real life, to get his attention, before he delivers the rest of the line.

It would seem that if Shatner really wanted the emphasis on himself as many claim, he would have left the line as was instead of proclaiming the other character's name first, louder and set off from the rest of the line.

Sir Rhosis

Sternvogel
12-05-2004, 12:31 AM
There's also the legend about Burt Reynolds* going on the Tonight show* and goving out his phone card number, explaining that he won a $40,000,000* lawsuit against the phone company and is thus able (and happy) to afford his fans the opportunity to make a long-distance call to Mom or an old friend.

As for characters, there's the belief that Jan Brady often complained about her older sister with the exasperated "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" whine. The phrase was indeed uttered on The Brady Bunch, but just once, in Episode #55 on November 19, 1971. Just once. In Episode #55 on November 19, 1971. (http://bradyresidence.com/episodes.html)

silenus
12-05-2004, 01:34 AM
Then there is the long-standing myth that Lucielle Ball was funny. Ever.

Hal Briston
12-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Just once. In Episode #55 on November 19, 1971.
For 20 minutes.

Oh, I'm gonna hate myself in the morning for that one.

Walloon
12-05-2004, 01:37 AM
CAPTAIN KIRK BANGED LOTSA GREEN ALIEN CHICKS!Well, that's silly, his predecessor Captain Pike (http://homepage.mac.com/m5comp/trekbits/trekpics/cage/Cage_38.jpg) banged the green alien chick (http://homepage.mac.com/m5comp/trekbits/trekpics/cage/Cage_39.jpg). Or at least he wanted to.

Nonsuch
12-05-2004, 02:56 AM
As for characters, there's the belief that Jan Brady often complained about her older sister with the exasperated "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" whine. The phrase was indeed uttered on The Brady Bunch, but just once, in Episode #55 on November 19, 1971. Just once. In Episode #55 on November 19, 1971. (http://bradyresidence.com/episodes.html)

On the subject of the Bradys, it's widely believed that Mike and Carol were TV's first couple to share a double bed onscreen, but this is not the case (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/marykay.htm).

Oregon sunshine
12-05-2004, 08:00 AM
the myth that Survivor is interesting.

Yayuh... I've never seen the show but I have seen hints that news programs actually consider that show to be news... :eek: For example, I caught a morning TV show not too long ago at the gym (They have TVs set up in front of the cardio machines) and they were interviewing people who got kicked off the show!! How lame... is that really what a morning news show considers noteworthy!?!? Kill your TV.

[/hijack]

Mr. Blue Sky
12-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Then there is the long-standing myth that Lucielle Ball was funny. Ever.

I don't know about Lucielle Ball, but Lucille Ball was pretty funny.

:D

jayjay
12-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Yayuh... I've never seen the show but I have seen hints that news programs actually consider that show to be news... :eek: For example, I caught a morning TV show not too long ago at the gym (They have TVs set up in front of the cardio machines) and they were interviewing people who got kicked off the show!! How lame... is that really what a morning news show considers noteworthy!?!? Kill your TV.

[/hijack]

Actually, if it was the CBS morning magazine show (which it probably was), you're mistaken in its actual purpose. It's there to promote CBS television. The fact that it provides news a few minutes per hour as well is completely incidental and so far down the list of priorities for those folks that it's practically invisible.

E-Sabbath
12-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Another Star Trek myth is that Kirk and Uhura had the first interracial kiss on network television. It was supposed to be the episode... I've forgotten the one, the decendants of the greeks with the immense psychic powers. Plato's Children? They do act affectionate, but do not actually kiss.

Walloon
12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Another Star Trek myth is that Kirk and Uhura had the first interracial kiss on network television. It was supposed to be the episode... I've forgotten the one, the decendants of the greeks with the immense psychic powers. Plato's Children? They do act affectionate, but do not actually kiss.You could have fooled me. (http://locutus.pos.to/tv/3/03stepchildren.htm)

Lamia
12-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Another Star Trek myth is that Kirk and Uhura had the first interracial kiss on network television.When people say "interracial" do they really only mean "black/white"? Because whenever I hear this, I can't help but think that I Love Lucy must have beat them to it. I don't recall Lucy and Ricky really swapping spit (on TV in the '50s? surely not!), but I'm certain there was at least the occasional peck on the cheek. And they were married and had a baby, so the audience could infer that riskier business was going on.

I will grant that Hispanic/Latino is not really a race but an ethnicity. Latinos often have mixed racial backgrounds and may be of almost any skin color...but then again much the same could be said of African-Americans. So I can't really see awarding this distinction to Star Trek unless the races involved in the interracial kiss are specified.

scotandrsn
12-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Different topic. A lot of people falsely remember that Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) always tripped over the ottoman, but in many eps opening credits, he smugly sidestepped it. Question: Was there a rhyme or reason to what credits (tripped or sidestepped) preceded what episode? Early seasons vs. later seasons, perhaps?

I had always assumed an early/late dichotomy to this, but then I read (IIRC, in an interview with Carl Reiner) that for the second season (the first season had a different opener) they filmed both beginnings, and spliced one or the other randomly for the rest of the run, giving the viewing audience an attention-getting "will he or won't he" moment right at the top of the half hour.

I won't retype my entry right now, but a quick check to see whether I'm full of it or not uncovered the show's Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dick_Van_Dyke_Show) third paragraph)

Sir Rhosis
12-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Yes, I believe the distinction is that Shatner was white, Nichols was black, thus two different races, not ethnicities. For that matter, the distinction is that it was male/female. Early in the first season (1966) of Trek, Nichelle Nichols and Majel Barret exchanged a "kiss of sisterhood," for lack of a better term, when Barrett's Nurse Chapel discovered her fiance was still alive (he wasn't, really, but that is a Trekkie topic).

For that matter, Shatner kissed France Nuyen (nee Nguyen), who has Vietnamese ancestry, iirc, but again, I think people are making a race vs. ethnicity distinction. Others more knowledgeable than I can explain the technicalities. All I can say is, Shatner was one lucky dude all around!

In 2004, it all seesm a bit silly, doesn't it?

Thank God, as Dylan said, "the times, they are a changin'."

Sir Rhosis

Ephemera
12-05-2004, 11:31 AM
You could have fooled me. (http://locutus.pos.to/tv/3/03stepchildren.htm)

While not what E-Sabbath was talking about, it could still be argued that wasn't the first interracial kiss as Shatner denies it was a real kiss but was, instead, all camer angles. Nichols says it was real though.

When people say "interracial" do they really only mean "black/white"?

In America? Almost always.

Earthworm Jim
12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Huh. Shatners "Star Trek Memories" goes into great detail about how the network refused to let them actually kiss. He says the camera angle was such that it appeared they were kissing, but their lips never touched.

Been a long time since I saw the episode, but I do remember you can't actually see them kissing like in the linked photo.

Hmmm....maybe that pic's from a rehearsal or something?

Marley23
12-05-2004, 03:04 PM
In 2004, it all seesm a bit silly, doesn't it?

Thank God, as Dylan said, "the times, they are a changin'."
Given the way some people reacted to the Nicolette Sheridan/Terrell Owens thing a few weeks ago...

middleman
12-05-2004, 04:45 PM
The only racial element of the MNF promo that I heard about was from Tony Dungee (a black head football coach.)

I thought that outroar was mostly about sex.

I was proud of myself. I must be rather enlightened, because it never occured to me to think of that spot in terms of race until Dungee reminded me that I must for some reason.

mobo85
12-05-2004, 06:28 PM
Elvis Presley had to be filmed from the waist up when he first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show. Not true. It wasn't until his third appearance there when this rule was placed on him.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-05-2004, 06:31 PM
I've never heard of that, but it reminds me of Carl Sagan's "billions and billions" from Cosmos--a phrase he never once uttered in the entire series.

Walloon
12-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Hmmm....maybe that pic's from a rehearsal or something?It's a screen cap (freeze frame) from the actual episode.

E-Sabbath
12-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I have watched that entire episode repeatedly and never seen that kiss. Admittedly, I saw it on network television, before DVD. Eh. Go fig. Probably censored out for commercials.

BrotherCadfael
12-05-2004, 10:01 PM
When people say "interracial" do they really only mean "black/white"?Well, you have those who are white on their right side, as opposed to those folks who are white on their left side...

HelloKitty
12-05-2004, 10:12 PM
I have watched that entire episode repeatedly and never seen that kiss. Admittedly, I saw it on network television, before DVD. Eh. Go fig. Probably censored out for commercials.

??

I've never NOT seen the "kiss" on that episode!!

I think the reason that Shatner claims they're not kissing is 'cuz they arent' kissing so much as touching mouths. If you notice, Kirk's lips are pulled tight because he is straining to go against the mind control they are forcing on him. So it's not really a mutual kiss, per se.

Sir Rhosis
12-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Hmm, since it has always been realized that the first kiss between a white person and a black person on TV was forced on them by aliens, what is the first mutually intentional black/white television kiss?

Anybody know?

Sir Rhosis

Walloon
12-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Probably in 1975 on The Jeffersons between Helen and Tom Willis (http://tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/screenshots/128509_s.jpg).

capacitor
12-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Thank goodness Jeremy Brett, as Sherlock Holmes, never said the patronizing "Elementary, dear Watson" during his run, especially since Sir Arthur Conan doyle [b]never[/i] wrote that phrase.

Peter Morris
12-06-2004, 06:33 AM
I remember an episode (http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/files/episode/season13.html#show404) of Bonanza where the Ponderossa's Chinese cook falls in love with a white woman. I don't recall if they were shown kissing on screen.

Yes, I know that's Asian/ White not Black/White. Same principle, though.

BMalion
12-06-2004, 08:05 AM
George Reeves put on his Superman suit and, thinking he could fly, jumped out of a tall buildong's window to his death.

Not.

I heard this all through my childhood.

Maus Magill
12-06-2004, 09:40 AM
George Reeves put on his Superman suit and, thinking he could fly, jumped out of a tall buildong's window to his death.

I had heard he was shot by a kid who wanted to see him deflect the bullets.

astro
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Given the way some people reacted to the Nicolette Sheridan/Terrell Owens thing a few weeks ago...

Most (not all) people in the US, whether they approve of it or not, are pretty inured to multi racial coupling at this point. I think that was less of a racial issue and more of an inappropriateness re the towel dropping. It was a lot more about her being naked than him being a Negro.

Kizarvexius
12-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Most (not all) people in the US, whether they approve of it or not, are pretty inured to multi racial coupling at this point. I think that was less of a racial issue and more of an inappropriateness re the towel dropping. It was a lot more about her being naked than him being a Negro.

That's pretty much the way I understood it as well. I read plenty of complaints about her dropping the towel. But the only one I recall saying anything about the interracial element was some Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton type who claimed that the clip perpetuated the "black male as a mindless sexual animal" stereotype or some such garbage.

JThunder
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
I had heard he was shot by a kid who wanted to see him deflect the bullets.

I'm pretty sure that somebody exposed him to kryptonite, thinking that it would kill him.

Well, it did.

Pushkin
12-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Well, talking of Star Trek (I'm amazed no one has mentioned this), Captain Kirk never actually said "Beam me up, Scotty" on any episode of the show.

He did say "beam us up, Scotty" in an episode of The Animated Series, but then try telling any fan that this line is "canon" :rolleyes:

Don Draper
12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
I recall the popular t.v. urban legend from my youth was that the kid who played "Mikey" from the Life cereal ads ("Let's get Mikey! He won't eat anything! *gasp*He likes it! Hey Mikey!") was killed by eating pop rocks & drinking coke at the same time.

Ephemera
12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
He did say "beam us up, Scotty" in an episode of The Animated Series, but then try telling any fan that this line is "canon" :rolleyes:

Roddenberry has gone on record as saying it isn't and it was stringently enforced by Paramount for years. It's been relaxed in recent years though and certain aspects of it are being reintroduced via Enterprise but, like it or not, it's not canon.

Peter Morris
12-06-2004, 08:13 PM
And The Beaver wasn't killed in Viet Nam either.

jayjay
12-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Does the whole "Milhouse...er, Paul from the Wonder Years grew up to be Marilyn Manson" thing count?

Governor Quinn
12-06-2004, 08:34 PM
"I Love Lucy was the first program to use multiple cameras."

Wrong. Several programs were using multiple cameras in the later 1940's.

Walloon
12-06-2004, 11:57 PM
I Love Lucy was the first filmed show to use multiple cameras. Previous multi-camera shows were broadcast live.

Sampiro
12-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Many people believe that Desi Arnaz, Jr. played Little Ricky on I Love Lucy when in fact he was played by several child actors, most notably Richard Keith (http://imdb.com/name/nm0445287/).

The "fact" that Mr. Ed was actually a zebra (who due to some dye and b/w television came across as a horse on TV) is given currency by Snopes, which listed it as "True" for a while in a deliberate attempt to make people realize "just because it's on the I'net doesn't mean it's true". They later removed it. (Of the TV ULs (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/tv.asp) on their site, the ones I've heard the most have probably been Mr. Rogers as Rambo (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp), Julia Child dropping a chicken (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/julia.htm) and Charles Manson auditioning for the Monkees (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/monkees.htm) (he was in fact in prison at the time).

Sherwood Schwartz swears that numerous viewers alerted the Coast Guard and other agencies that 7 people were marooned on an island, but I'd like to see documentation to that effect.

I've heard several reports about Lucille Ball receiving underground radio broadcasts from a Communist spy ring during the McCarthy era but I've never read confirmation.

It is not true that Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin were first reunited after their break-up on his telethon. They had seen each other in Vegas several times and Dean once even filled in for Jerry when he was sick. It also isn't true that they resumed their friendship after that reunion- they didn't speak again for years (though they were speaking again by the time of Dean's death).

Whether or not Jackie Mason really shot a bird at Ed Sullivan (almost destroying his career) remains debated (though Mason insists he did not- it was an unconscious gesture.

Dick York was not fired from Bewitched for drug abuse as is sometimes reported but left voluntarily due to chronic back pain after a stunt threw him into a seizure due to nerve damage. He also was not left indigent by this but lost his money through bad real estate investments over the next few years. (I have read that Samantha was the first character on television referred to as pregnant but I don't have verification.)

It is totally not true that Tommy Hilfiger/Liz Claiborne/Versace made racist comments about blacks wearing his/her clothes and was consequently evicted from the Oprah/Montel/Donahue show, though I received this e-mail numerous times from various co-workers over the years (some calling for a boycott of whichever designer was being maligned).

June Cleaver never said "Ward, you were too hard on the Beaver last night" as is often quoted (though she did once tell Eddie Haskell "Baby, if I had a c*ck this is where I'd tell you to s*ck it you little piece of sh!t!", but the line was redubbed as "Would you like a cookie Eddie?")

mkl12
12-07-2004, 08:05 AM
The "fact" that Mr. Ed was actually a zebra (who due to some dye and b/w television came across as a horse on TV) is given currency by Snopes, which listed it as "True" for a while in a deliberate attempt to make people realize "just because it's on the I'net doesn't mean it's true". They later removed it.
They didn't remove it, it's still there.
http://snopes.com/lost/mistered.asp

Walloon
12-07-2004, 08:17 AM
I've heard several reports about Lucille Ball receiving underground radio broadcasts from a Communist spy ring during the McCarthy era but I've never read confirmation.Somewhat mangled version of the story that Lucille Ball actually told about overhearing spy messages via her teeth fillings in World War II, as reported by Snopes (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/fillings.htm).

Maus Magill
12-07-2004, 08:26 AM
June Cleaver never said "Ward, you were too hard on the Beaver last night" as is often quoted (though she did once tell Eddie Haskell "Baby, if I had a c*ck this is where I'd tell you to s*ck it you little piece of sh!t!", but the line was redubbed as "Would you like a cookie Eddie?")

There are times I have to wonder where all this coffee on my keyboard came from.

Robot Arm
12-07-2004, 08:42 AM
(though she did once tell Eddie Haskell "Baby, if I had a c*ck this is where I'd tell you to s*ck it you little piece of sh!t!", but the line was redubbed as "Would you like a cookie Eddie?")Fascinating. And his reply "no, thank you, Mrs. Cleaver. My mother wouldn't want me to spoil my appetite on sweets before dinner" is so much clearer now.

Mal Adroit
12-07-2004, 01:03 PM

You may be remembering, as I am, Jane Fonda asking Johnny about it; that was on an anniversary show. She repeated the question and his supposed response verbatim and yes, I do have it on tape. (We bought the anniversary special for my dad a few years ago.)

hybrid_dogfish
12-07-2004, 01:20 PM
There was a kid's cartoon on TV in the UK in the 1970s called Captain Pugwash. It was about a pirate, and everyone knows that the characters had really suggestive names, but bless them they were all too innocent at the time to understand what was so funny about Seaman Staines, Roger the Cabinboy and Master Bates.

Except that the names of the pirates on board the Black Pig were Pirate Barnabus, Master Mate, Pirate Willy, and Tom the Cabin Boy.

Still, ask around about Captain Pugwash and you will inevitably be told about the filthy puns of the character names that were missed in the innocent times of 1970s British kids' TV.

Marley23
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Yes, mostly it was the nudity, but there were at least a few people (Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts was one) who insisted it was racially insensitive somehow, or referred to the Kobe Bryant case, or other inane things.

seosamh
12-07-2004, 06:18 PM
The writer of "Captain Pugwash", John Ryan, has been exceedingly zealous in stopping anyone spreading the falsehoods about the characters' names.

Snopes (http://snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.htm) is your man once more. Blame Victor Lewis-Smith.

Lamia
12-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Does the whole "Milhouse...er, Paul from the Wonder Years grew up to be Marilyn Manson" thing count?I had a friend who swore this was true. She dismissed my objections when I pointed out that "Paul" was played by an actor named Josh Saviano, not Brian Warner, that Manson was obviously older than the kid from The Wonder Years would have to be by now, and that his well-publicized account of his own background was inconsistent with being a child star on a successful and long-running TV series.

I don't know why she was so certain they must really be the same person. Even the supposed physical resemblance between the two men can't account for it, as this friend happened to have been legally blind since birth!

Sternvogel
12-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Although Geraldo Rivera was known as Gerry Riviera for much of his life, and is the son of a Jewish mother, he was never Jerry Rivers, and his father was indeed born in Puerto Rico. Once again our friends at Snopes (http://snopes.com/media/celebrity/geraldo.asp) have the details.

Leaper
12-08-2004, 03:27 AM
I recall the popular t.v. urban legend from my youth was that the kid who played "Mikey" from the Life cereal ads ("Let's get Mikey! He won't eat anything! *gasp*He likes it! Hey Mikey!") was killed by eating pop rocks & drinking coke at the same time.

I wonder if this was the reason for that contest in the Eighties were Life cereal buyers had to guess which of the young people whose photos were on the box was Mikey grown up.

Garfield226
12-08-2004, 03:44 AM
I've heard several reports about Lucille Ball receiving underground radio broadcasts from a Communist spy ring during the McCarthy era but I've never read confirmation.
I saw a clip of her repeating this story on a talk show. Of course, that doesn't prove the validity of it or anything, but I do remember hearing her talk about it. She told it convincingly, seemed earnest, but I guess that's what she was paid for anyhow.

Garfield226
12-08-2004, 03:45 AM
I saw a clip of her repeating this story on a talk show. Of course, that doesn't prove the validity of it or anything, but I do remember hearing her talk about it. She told it convincingly, seemed earnest, but I guess that's what she was paid for anyhow.
Come to think of it, it might have been on the Mythbusters episode where they tried to replicate the effect (they couldn't).

roger thornhill
12-08-2004, 04:01 AM
"In the butt, Bob."
This one cracks me up.

HOST: Where did your wife say you had your most unusual "whoopee session"?

HUSBAND: In the sink.

HOST: I'm sorry; your wife said 'in the butt.'

HUSBAND: Damn, I almost said that.
Surreal!

Walloon
12-09-2004, 07:35 AM
I saw a clip of her repeating this story on a talk show. Of course, that doesn't prove the validity of it or anything, but I do remember hearing her talk about it.Yes, she told it on the Dick Cavett show in the 1970s. But her story wasn't about Communist spies during the Cold War, it was about Japanese spies during World War II.

Best Topics: sucking teen cherry binaca songs about future daddy claxton define tout suite airplane stairs name teen pantsing frat paddle board propane pressure gauge attached earlobes meaning japanese for frog copacetic etymology flexible dick salaried contract united states cathedrals grimace mcdonalds boyish face kitty werthmann wiki girls snuggling metallica ballads howard hughes testimony niggardly define chicago firefighter schedule tartex pate esophagus dilation cost legitimate massage sparrow behaviour bdsm reddit microwave safe fabric spicy food diarrhea butane inlet valve playmates doing hardcore can fleas leave blood stains on sheets 30 minutes or its free how to test if an amp is bad is a dehumidifier an air conditioner is russian dressing the same as thousand island dulcolax not working after 12 hours chemical smell in nose after exercise thermostat fan setting circulate how much gas money should i give my friend acne breakout when sick jim cantore annual salary is it legal for walmart to check receipts at the door friends ross bald girl where is grapevine california does virgin mobile work in canada men with long fingernails does powdered gatorade have electrolytes bass singers in pop music how do filing cabinet locks work can a hermaphrodite get itself pregnant is the north pole cold can lois and peter hear stewie t shirt over long sleeve shirt orange blossom water substitute what does dear mean in british google doodle not showing up bank endorsement stamp requirements crouching tiger hidden dragon english dub how to change amazon shipping preference we shall know them by the number of their dead quote how to make a gas siphon eternal sunshine of the spotless mind ending how to successfully shoot up a school