PDA

View Full Version : Some Fucking Bitch Stole Our Cat!

An Arky
01-16-2005, 02:32 PM
So this person pulled up in their car and took our cat IN BROAD DAYLIGHT RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE! We didn't see it, but our neighbor did and promptly called. We thought WTF?!?, but since Chloe has a tag with our phone number, the person might call.

...and call she did, today. From a 7-11. She asked "has your cat been missing a while", my wife said "no, somebody took her from right in front of our house yesterday". The woman said "you don't deserve to have it" and hung up.

There is not a big enough font for the WTF! I'm thinking.

I *69ed and talked to some guy, and that's how I found out she had called from a 7-11. He did say he'd seen her around before, and that he'd tell her.

The reason I presume this insane sack of wasted flesh did this is that our cat is 16+ years old; in the last stage of her life. She doesn't look so good because she's kind of sickly, being old and all. Plus she's a runt (she was found in the wild over 15 years ago by my wife), so she's been mistaken for a young cat. But she prefers being ouside. So I guess psycho bitch thought we were mistreating her. But she ASS/U/ME/D wrong, and she is actually guilty of stealing someone's beloved family pet.

She's a very sweet and friendly cat, so I'm sure she probably isn't freaking out, but I'm sure she'd prefer to be home. Damn, I'm not much of a cat person, but I liked her. :(

So, this on top of the fact that my wife is about to give birth (at home!) this week. She's "letting go" of this because she has something even more important to think about and like I said before, she probably doesn't have all that much more time left.

We left word at the shelter in case she's brought in. I'm considering calling the police, although we don't have much to go on.

Sorry for not using more colorful language, but I'm still sort of flabbergasted. I'd like to see her thrown in jail.

kung fu lola
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Self-styled "Animal-Lovers" can be a little nutty.

When we got our beloved Prince Among Cats from the shelter, we were handed a sheaf of papers, pamphlets and photocopies begging us to keep him as an inside cat and not to declaw him. I didn't know that the "mainstream" shelters were getting so adamant about these issues, but apparently they are. This can only be bad for the fringe crazies, who see this as validating their hang-ups.

ParentalAdvisory
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
May your kitty claw this womens eyes out! What an ungrateful person. I hope you find her and promptly call the police on her sorry ass.

Zabali_Clawbane
01-16-2005, 02:47 PM
:mad: I wonder what that woman will think, if she takes that cat to the vet and finds out it's actually very old, and THAT'S why it looks "sickly"? I hope you get your cat back. :(

The Unkempt One
01-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Wow! Who steals a cat and then calls the owner after the fact? That's fucking crazy! Makes me wonder what sort of thoughts were racing through her cat-stealing brain during the whole incident.

I wish your cat the best of luck. I hope she is returned soon and in excellent condition.

Zabali_Clawbane
01-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Write an editorial to your paper, explaining what happened, what the cat looks like, and the cat's age/health problems. Mention that she is very loved, and greatly missed. Maybe the theif will see it, and have a guilty change of heart?

GaWd
01-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm considering calling the police, although we don't have much to go on.

You're considering calling the police? This is where the WTF belongs. You have a neighbor who saw it happen and a 7-11 clerk who's seen her before. Even if they won't throw her in jail(they most likely can't), you can at least try to find out who she is and confront her.

I do understand the birth fo your firstborn is a bit more important and that you might be way preoccupied, however.

Sam

ParentalAdvisory
01-16-2005, 02:54 PM
^Maybe someone else will see it and turn the evil this evil women in.

TeaElle
01-16-2005, 02:56 PM
She was a thief
You've got to belief
She stole my heart and my cat!

Okay, sorry, that was flip. An Arky, may a thousand fleas infect that woman's pubic hair, and may your kitty be brought home safe and sound. What a sleazy thing to do. People suck. :mad:

Yllaria
01-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Have you considered that this might be a con instead of a 'rescue'. This woman might make a habit of stealing cats with tags and then phoning in for a reward. If so, calling the police may save other cats from being snatched.

The 'you don't deserve to have it' may have been a bit of nastiness thrown your way because she had been found out.

Hope you find your kitty.

Zabali_Clawbane
01-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Yllaria makes a good point. You should report this, maybe the police will help you. Was she microchipped? I do hope you get her back. :(

An Arky
01-16-2005, 03:13 PM
You're considering calling the police? This is where the WTF belongs. You have a neighbor who saw it happen and a 7-11 clerk who's seen her before. Even if they won't throw her in jail(they most likely can't), you can at least try to find out who she is and confront her.

I do understand the birth fo your firstborn is a bit more important and that you might be way preoccupied, however.

Sam

Well, the neighbor didn't get a tag number; the 7-11 phone was a pay phone and some dude hanging out in front of the 7-11 pay phone might not pan out as a reliable witness. So, I don't think the police can do much with that.

I'm going to find out where exactly that 7-11 is and post a flyer, and the ad in the paper idea sounds good.

The only good thing I can think of is the fact that I KNOW that Chloe is going to piss on her floor. :D

And the scam thing I haven't thought of either, I'm going to check into that.

Domokun
01-16-2005, 03:30 PM

When we got our beloved Prince Among Cats from the shelter, we were handed a sheaf of papers, pamphlets and photocopies begging us to keep him as an inside cat and not to declaw him. I didn't know that the "mainstream" shelters were getting so adamant about these issues, but apparently they are. This can only be bad for the fringe crazies, who see this as validating their hang-ups.

Being against declawing is hardly "all animals are slaves" style PETA insanity. It's a very invasive procedure and cats adapt poorly. Keeping them in is more for the benefit of local wildlife I guess. A bell works almost as well.

To the OP: Hope you recover your cat :(

Domokun
01-16-2005, 03:35 PM
is hardly "all pets are slaves" style :smack:

kung fu lola
01-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh, I know that, and I'm sure that avoiding de-clawing and keeping cats indoors are both in the best interest of the kitty.

What I meant was: If even the mainstream places say that keeping your cat inside is best for it, it's easy for nutters to extrapolate that people who let their cats outside are endandering them, and that the best thing they can do is "rescue" the animal, their owners be damned. Some may even feel morally obligated to do so.

mrunlucky
01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I don't know how exactly the law looks at the matter, but this is either a matter of having property stolen from you, or your cat kidnapped. Either way call the police! Don't assume this crazy woman is going to do the right thing, as in, return your cat out of good will. You have no idea why she stole your cat, but in any case, it's not hers.

Miller
01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Even if the woman truly believes she's acting out of the best interests of your cat, there's a good chance (esp. given her actions) that she's not mentally capable of recognizing if her actions are harmful to the animal. Do a Google on "animal hoarders" if you want to read some truly horrible examples.

Ogre
01-16-2005, 05:06 PM
people who let their cats outside are endandering them.My cat does a fine job of endandering herself.

*ACHOO*

Freakin' cat.

sorry!

Guinastasia
01-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Note-not ALL people who "kidnap" cats are nuts.
My family and I once kidnapped a neighbor's three cats and took them to a foster home. However, this time, the cats were left behind when the family was forced to move out due to a defaulted mortgage, they were left for days on end without food (if my mother hadn't been feeding them, they probably would have starved or gone feral), and they were completely left out to destroy neighbor's property.
(The drug-addict teenager came to get them a few days later, we just snickered)

This, however, takes the fucking cake. The cat had a tag and collar, AND she tried to contact you, and then refused to bring her back.

Please do call the police. Even though you're preoccupied, this woman may be doing this to other peoples' pets, and someone needs to stop her. Besides, you never know what she might do to poor Chloe.

Domokun
01-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Oh, I know that, and I'm sure that avoiding de-clawing and keeping cats indoors are both in the best interest of the kitty.

What I meant was: If even the mainstream places say that keeping your cat inside is best for it, it's easy for nutters to extrapolate that people who let their cats outside are endandering them, and that the best thing they can do is "rescue" the animal, their owners be damned. Some may even feel morally obligated to do so.

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your original point. :)

OtakuLoki
01-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Another voice chiming in about notifying the cops about this. They may not be able to do anything, I'll admit, but if they do get a lead on the woman, having all available pressure to put on her can only be a good thing.

I've 'kidnapped' a cat myself, similarly to Guinastasia's story, in this case a cat that some asshat had dumped near a place I had been living at. The poor silly thing spent the night yowling to be let in, and then stuck around after one of the landlord's kids pestered it with a supersoaker. (Which I encouraged - if the cat stuck around after that kind of treatment I was 100% sure it had been dumped at the road, and not just wandered over from one of the neighbors.) So after that I caught the poor thing and took it to the local animal shelter.

I can't imagine what this woman is thinking to actually call you up about taking the cat and mocking you for it. :rolleyes:

Ca3799
01-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Yow.

Something similar happened to me once. I had an Italian Greyhound that I got from a family that didn't like him when he was about 2 years old. He was a beautiful dog, but perhaps somewhat retarded. He needed alot of training and socializing but still had behaviour quirks.

One day a lady picked him up from beside my house and then called to say she had him. She said he jumped right into her car, which to me is doubtful as he was skittish and very selective about who he liked (basically, me). I don't know how she got him. Anyway, she said I could come collect him or she would bring him back but couldn't do it "today" as she was busy with kid stuff that day. The next time she called, she started telling me how happy he was at her house and how the kids really liked him (also doubtful), but that I couldn't come get him that day because they were leaving for the day.

This kind of stuff went on for 4-5 days before I finally got her to tell me it was o.k. to come get him. I was walking a fine line with her as it sounded as if she wanted to keep him and I was trying to be friendly and compliant but also aware that I didn't know exactly where she was except that she was in the rural next to my edge-of-town area. It seemed like she was deciding if she wanted to bring him back or not.

Odd.

AngelicGemma
01-16-2005, 06:57 PM
My uncle's cat was stolen years ago. Many cats had gone missing in the area. My uncle is a police officer, and after a month or so had an idea of who it was. He went round to her house and confronted her, of course she denied it. But the cat suddenly turned up a few days later.

Hope you get your cat back!

An Arky
01-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. I'm going to file a report in the morning.

I recognize some folks think cats shouldn't be outside, and I guess I can see how someone could see our cat's condition and think the worst, but this freakazoid didn't even listen for any sort of explanation. It's bad enough someone took my cat, but I'm horrified at the thought of someone thinking we mistreated her. I know, I shouldn't worry about what some thief thinks...

I doubt I ever will, but if I find her, I'm gonna get her ass thrown UNDER the motherfucking jail. :mad:

kittenblue
01-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Back in the days before letting a cat go outside became politically incorrect, our cat was stolen from us by a neighbor. We lived on a military base, and cats usually only had to contend with the coyotes. Our 5-month old kitten had adopted a full-grown male who had been living rough for some time, and they were inseperable...he followed her around like a dog. She was wearing a collar, so she could not be mistaken for one of the strays, but our across the street neighbors took her. At the time, my dad had just died, and this second loss was devastating to me. I went around to all the neighbors asking if they had seen her, but didn't go to this house because they never seemed to be home.

After a week or two, we noticed that the male cat (our beloved Moose) had taken to spending all day sitting on this family's front porch, only coming home at night. But we didn't begin to be suspicious until about a moth later, when my husband saw the daughter in the family outside holding a black kitten that looked like our Muffin. He went over to talk to her, and she immediately ran inside with the kitten. He knocked, and talked to the grandmother, who got very defensive and said they'd had that cat for months. Now we were convinced they had our cat, but the MP's told us there wasn't anything we could do about it.

This family didn't socialize with any of the neighbors...we were a very friendly and social group of young families, and they were unusual in that they never, ever came out to talk, or stopped to visit while doing yardwork. And still Moose sat on their porch, sometimes in front of their basement windows, every single day. Soon everyone in the area knew that we suspected Muffin was in their house, and everyone was watching for her to be let out.

Then about four months later, a neighbor called to say that she thought Muffin was outside under her camper. The kids in the suspected family had all gone away for the summer, and the parents must have let her out. She was pregnant, and not very friendly, and wouldn't come to me. She ran off, with Moose in pursuit, and we couldn't find her again. Two nights later was our wedding anniversary, and when we came back from dinner, there was a note on our door from a neighbor asking us to stop by when we got home, because they had an anniversary surprise for us. When we went to their door, they handed us a squirming bed sheet and told us to "take it home quick, before they see you!" Wrapped up in the sheet was Muffin, and she was not happy! She had grown so much, and was so pregnant, that we weren't sure at first if it was really her. But as soon as we let her out of the sheet, she stalked over to the quilt I had set up on a frame, and jumped right up and settled in to the spot she used to sleep in months before. And Moose came in the door a few minutes later, sniffed her over and settled in to sleep under the frame. He never again went over to the suspect family's front porch. Never.

They didn't start looking for her until their kids came back a few weeks later. They probably thought she had run off to have her kittens. We never let her outside again, but she would sit in the bedroom window that faced their house, and one day they saw her there. The friend that had stolen her back for us called me to share that the father had come to her door and asked if we had always had two black cats, and she said "Yes, Moose and Muffin!" In fact, we heard from several other neighbors about the father asking the same question, and of course all the neighbors, who had been in on the story, reassured him that we'd always had two cats! Apparently the kids, who had stolen her in the first place, fussed when they saw her in our window, but had never told their step-father the truth about where they had gotten the kitten. The grandmother knew, since she had given my husband a story about having brought the cat back from Ohio.

Muffin was so ill-tempered and unfriendly that we decided that, after she had the kittens, we would return her to the people who had stolen her, and just keep a kitten. They had kept her locked in a basement with another cat and two German Shepherds, and we feared she was permanently changed by the experience. But as soon as the kittens were born, she returned to her loving, gentle, sweet self. She was an excellent mom, and had a long and happy life with us. Moose remained devoted to her until the day he died, and once she even let his tail touch hers...we took a picture, it was so momentous!

I hope you recover your dear cat...one of my current cats is a Chloe, too! Don't give up hope!

Zebra
01-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I dont' think the woman is any sort of cat lover but a money lover.

She expected you offer a reward for your 'missing' pet and when you didn't, that is why she said you didn't deserve her.

That fucking bitch is a catnapper and I don't mean she sleeps for 20 minutes during the day.

Good Egg
01-17-2005, 12:01 AM
I think the fact that she phoned from a secure location where she couldn't be traced means she had/has ulterior motives. Not to be trusted. Hope they find her and the cat.

Cat Whisperer
01-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Back in the days before letting a cat go outside became politically incorrect<snip>
I don't want to start a hijack on this, but this has been touched on a couple of times in this thread, and in the interest of education, I can't let this go by. Cats as indoor-only pets is not simply a politically correct just-for-show type issue. Cats that are allowed outdoors do not live as long as indoor cats. They are stolen, they get lost, they are injured in fights, they are run over by cars, they are hurt by people and other animals, they pick up diseases, they damage other people's property, they irritate other animals that are being kept indoors, if they're not neutered they breed, and where I live, keeping cats indoors is *the law*.

That said, I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty, An Arky. I don't intend this as pointing fingers at you or anything like that.

hajario
01-17-2005, 12:37 AM
I think that it's more likely that she's an animal rights crusader. That's why she asked if kitty had been missing for a few days. She thought that you wouldn't have even noticed because you're such a terrible owner in her mind. She called from 7-11 because what she did was illegal.

Call the local media and get the story on the air and in the paper. Someone knows who she is.

Haj

Hey, It's That Guy!
01-17-2005, 01:34 AM
She sounds like a scam artist to me, hoping to make some money from returning the pet that she stole from you. I'd sooner believe that than her being a wack-a-loon animal rights crusader. In any case, I hope you get your cat back safely and soon, and I hope she is caught and punished in some way.

An Arky
01-17-2005, 05:07 AM
I don't want to start a hijack on this, but this has been touched on a couple of times in this thread, and in the interest of education, I can't let this go by. Cats as indoor-only pets is not simply a politically correct just-for-show type issue. Cats that are allowed outdoors do not live as long as indoor cats. They are stolen, they get lost, they are injured in fights, they are run over by cars, they are hurt by people and other animals, they pick up diseases, they damage other people's property, they irritate other animals that are being kept indoors, if they're not neutered they breed, and where I live, keeping cats indoors is *the law*.

That said, I'm sorry for the loss of your kitty, An Arky. I don't intend this as pointing fingers at you or anything like that.

Yes. I know that's what is currently advocated. But Chloe was a wild cat when my wife found her about 15 years ago. She simply would not accept being an inside cat. She would meow once per second until she was let out. Of course, she's neutered, had her shots, etc., but is not declawed. She's at least 16 years old; that's a shorter lifespan?

kambuckta
01-17-2005, 06:12 AM
In a similar vein, there was a case here in Melbourne a couple of months ago when a labrador bitch (complete with ID) went missing from her owner's backyard.

The distraught owners got a call from a woman a couple of days later, saying she had found a lab.........and then she proceeded to ask the owners questions like "What does she like to eat?" and "How old is she?" and "Is she speyed" etc, etc. They answered all the questions (believing their responses were to correctly identify the dog as theirs) then the woman promptly thanked them and hung up!!

They traced the call to a public phone in an outer Melbourne suburb, and then one of the popular radio stations put out a call for listeners to report anyone from that area who had acquired a golden lab in recent days.

They found her within a few hours, and the coppers enjoyed knocking on her door to retrieve the dog. Apparently they really enjoyed carting the stupid fucking woman off to the Station to charge her with theft as well.

:D :D :D

Crafter_Man
01-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Cats as indoor-only pets is not simply a politically correct just-for-show type issue. Cats that are allowed outdoors do not live as long as indoor cats.This may be true. But so what? Cats like being outdoors.

We have a couple cats that are “outdoor only.” They’re basically tools to us; they’re in charge of “mice control.” And they like living outdoors so much that they don’t even try getting in the house, even when it’s 10 °F outside. While they may not live that long (around here they only have about a 5 year life span due to the coyote population), they sure seem to have a good time in the great outdoors.

AngelicGemma
01-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Is this 'indoor cat' thing mostly an American thing? I don't know anyone with a cat in the UK that doesn't let their cat outside.

Nava
01-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I was wondering the same; except for some people who have Siamese cats or some such, most of the people I know here in Spain who talk about "my cats" are actually talking about outside cats that they feed.

One of my neighbors brings food out every night, she has names for each of the twelve or so cats that come by. My aunt and uncle live in an old farm: the two dogs get into the house, but none of the other animals do (hens, cats, a parrot that flew in one day from Og knows where; they checked and he didn't belong to anybody in five miles).

Cat Whisperer
01-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Yes. I know that's what is currently advocated. But Chloe was a wild cat when my wife found her about 15 years ago. She simply would not accept being an inside cat. She would meow once per second until she was let out. Of course, she's neutered, had her shots, etc., but is not declawed. She's at least 16 years old; that's a shorter lifespan?
If a cat's used to being outside, it is very tough to make them an indoor cat. Like I said before, I don't want to hijack this thread, and I am in no way blaming you for your cat getting stolen.

Cat Whisperer
01-17-2005, 10:06 AM
I've started a thread regarding indoor cats here. (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?p=5728591#post5728591)

Banquet Bear
Is this 'indoor cat' thing mostly an American thing? I don't know anyone with a cat in the UK that doesn't let their cat outside.

...agreed...poor Buffy (our cat) would have a fit if she wasn't allowed to explore our backyard during the day...and indoor only cats? Never heard of it!

Guinastasia
If your cat is used to being outside to the point where bringing her inside all the time makes your lives a living hell, then by all means, let them out.

However, if you have a kitten, unless your cat is a farm animal/mouser as is Crafter_Man's, then it's best to keep her/him inside.

And while inside cats do tend to live longer, this isn't always a rule. My mom's cat that stayed behind with my grandmother when Mom married Dad was an outside cat-who lived to be almost 18.

Liberal
01-17-2005, 10:15 AM
We have two indoor cats, one of which was a take-in stray. Jane, the elder, does have a curiosity about the outside, but doesn't like to linger there once he's there. Great Whore Jezzabel is positively terrified by an open door and won't go anywhere near the outside. Ever. (She was the stray, and might have had traumatic experiences as a feral kitten. That's all I can figure.)

But the house we just bought came with an old black cat, Pretty Black Girl, for whom we are now the third family she has taken in. She wouldn't come in the house proper if you held the door open for her and pushed her from behind. She has, however, taken to staying in the basement on cold nights. It's heated, and we made a soft mat for her with a couple of stuffed critters.

During the day, we open the door for her. If she walks out and sees sunlight, she stays outside. But if it's cloudy and cold, she comes right back in.

DiosaBellissima
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM

Just the other day I was in Petsmart and they had one of the local animal shelters in there trying to find homes for some babies. I, having no self control, decided my cat could use a new buddy; plus they had oodles of adorable cats.

I got out my check book with the intention of donating an extra $50 on top of the fee for the cat when the lady informs me of their procedure. Apparently, they DEMAND that all their cats and dogs (yes, EVEN DOGS) stay indoors. She said they can come by and randomly check up on the cat to make sure you are keeping it indoors. Needless to say,I walked out. That's a bit much for me.

An Arky
01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
If a cat's used to being outside, it is very tough to make them an indoor cat. Like I said before, I don't want to hijack this thread, and I am in no way blaming you for your cat getting stolen.

Hey, it's O.K. I accept as fair criticism that she was outside when she got stolen, so perhaps there was a bit of "asking for it" involved.

Miller
01-17-2005, 12:50 PM

Hell, you could say the same thing about children, and there aren't any laws against letting them outside.

More's the pity.

lieu
01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Was there any additional information on the tag, like the cat's name? I'm guessing they'll remove the old tag to make sure that you're not contacted if the cat ever became lost. I don't know who usually makes these tags, the vet perhaps?, but you could contact some of the possibilities in your area and ask if a replacement has been ordered that fits your pet's name (if it was on the old one).

catsix
01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
featherlou said:
Cats as indoor-only pets is not simply a politically correct just-for-show type issue. Cats that are allowed outdoors do not live as long as indoor cats.

My last three cats were Ralf, One Point Five and Captain Meighnot. They have all bein indoor/outdoor cats who had free access to the outside world any time they wanted it. Ralf was the night owl, who went out at night and came home in the morning. He lived to be 9 years old. One Point Five and Captain Meighnot were both born feral and adopted as kittens. One Point five died in June at the age of 15. Captain Meighnot is still going strong at nearly 16, and still has all the access to the outside world his heart desires.

Of course, all three of them always had good vet care and were well fed.

AnArky said:
She simply would not accept being an inside cat.

I know what you mean. One Point Five and Captain Meighnot would very likely dig their way out through any and all carpeting and floorboards. Ralf climbed every curtain in the house in his effort to enjoy the out of doors.

Miller said:
Hell, you could say the same thing about children, and there aren't any laws against letting them outside.

Yeah, my neighbor's kids have already cracked the corner off of a concrete driveway that's less than two years old by continually riding over it with their motorized playtoy of doom.

They've destroyed several shrubs on the other neighbor's property and thought it would be fun to dig with gardening trowels where we planted grass around the newly poured driveway. Gimme cats any day.

Steve MB
01-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Write an editorial to your paper, explaining what happened, what the cat looks like, and the cat's age/health problems. Mention that she is very loved, and greatly missed. Maybe the theif will see it, and have a guilty change of heart?
Or, better, somebody else can see it, call the cops, and have the thief hauled away to prison as she so richly deserves.

Khan
01-17-2005, 02:48 PM
For a long time now, I've questioned as to whether or not I should get one of those little subcutaneous microchip things implanted in any of my future pets. Your story, An Arky has made the importance of doing so clear.

I hope they find this festering cuntsore and throw the book at her, right after you get your cat back. :mad:

Best of luck to you.

Fear Itself
01-17-2005, 03:08 PM
For a long time now, I've questioned as to whether or not I should get one of those little subcutaneous microchip things implanted in any of my future pets. Your story, An Arky has made the importance of doing so clear. Just to be clear, pet microchips (http://chippet.com/what.htm) will only assist in recovering a pet if it is taken to a shelter or vet that has the right scanning equipment, it is not like a LoJac stolen vehicle locator. If the thief keeps the cat indoors, no one will ever find it, chipped or not.

Mauvaise
01-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Just to be clear, pet microchips (http://chippet.com/what.htm) will only assist in recovering a pet if it is taken to a shelter or vet that has the right scanning equipment, it is not like a LoJac stolen vehicle locator. If the thief keeps the cat indoors, no one will ever find it, chipped or not.

No, but if you claim your cat was stolen by a certain person (as in the case of the OP) and are able to track them down. The fact that your cat's chipped would rule out anyone else being able to claim that said cat's been theirs all along.

Khan
01-17-2005, 05:33 PM
You raise a good point, Fear Itself, but at least this form of identification can't be removed (or easily, at least).

kung fu lola
01-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Apparently, they DEMAND that all their cats and dogs (yes, EVEN DOGS) stay indoors.

I think this means allowing it to sleep indoors, as opposed to chaining it up in a kennel in the yard 24/7 and ignoring it. Even you can agree that is a terrible way to treat a companion animal, especially one who is as naturally sociable as a pooch.

I'n waiting for An Arky to come by and tell us what the police said. Any hope on the horizon?

I hope Chloe comes home soon.

DiosaBellissima
01-17-2005, 07:03 PM
I think this means allowing it to sleep indoors, as opposed to chaining it up in a kennel in the yard 24/7 and ignoring it. Even you can agree that is a terrible way to treat a companion animal, especially one who is as naturally sociable as a pooch.

I actually asked them about what they meant by this. They said the dog should be indoors all times it is not using the bathroom. They even had tips on box training smaller dogs.

I mean, I live in Southern California. It's the dead of winter and it's 55 degrees outside. Of course my lil guys sleep inside (ok, they aren't so little- a chow and a great dane), but I'm not about to keep them in 23 hours a day.

Never before had I heard of such a thing. I know about the long standing indoor/out door cat debate...but dogs?

An Arky
01-17-2005, 07:03 PM

I'n waiting for An Arky to come by and tell us what the police said. Any hope on the horizon?

I hope Chloe comes home soon.

Hi. I've submitted a police report (waiting for followup) and the Animal Welfare League (they've started a report). I'm trying to find out where the pay phone is and leave a flyer there.

But I can't do as much as I would like...my wife's giving birth any day now and we're focusing on that as much as possible.

Thanks for all the support. Chloe's a good cat, but she's pretty close to the end of her life anyway, and maybe we just getting spared having to deal with her death.

Gfab912
01-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Take solace that karma has a way of working itself into situations like this. If that doesn't help, find out who this woman is, get a burlap sack and a rubber mallot. I think you know the rest. Peace.

Martin Hyde
01-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi. I've submitted a police report (waiting for followup) and the Animal Welfare League (they've started a report). I'm trying to find out where the pay phone is and leave a flyer there.

But I can't do as much as I would like...my wife's giving birth any day now and we're focusing on that as much as possible.

Thanks for all the support. Chloe's a good cat, but she's pretty close to the end of her life anyway, and maybe we just getting spared having to deal with her death.

I'm one of those people that would pretty much ignore just about anything if I felt some asshat had stolen my property and there was even a remote chance I could track them down. I can't stand people who act like they can ignore the law and take whatever they want for whatever reason.

Achren
01-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I actually asked them about what they meant by this. They said the dog should be indoors all times it is not using the bathroom. They even had tips on box training smaller dogs.

I mean, I live in Southern California. It's the dead of winter and it's 55 degrees outside. Of course my lil guys sleep inside (ok, they aren't so little- a chow and a great dane), but I'm not about to keep them in 23 hours a day.

Never before had I heard of such a thing. I know about the long standing indoor/out door cat debate...but dogs?

I would think it would be far worse to keep some dogs (especially Great Danes!) indoors most of the time. I thought most shelters didn't advocate people getting large dogs (or any dog, really) unless they had room to run around outside. My grandparents had a dog that was kinda an indoor only dog, but they had leash laws and walked outside (with the dog) at least a couple hours a day. She was also a timid thing, scared of a cat half her size! Maybe that's why she didn't mind staying inside.

Mauvaise
01-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I would think it would be far worse to keep some dogs (especially Great Danes!) indoors most of the time. I thought most shelters didn't advocate people getting large dogs (or any dog, really) unless they had room to run around outside. My grandparents had a dog that was kinda an indoor only dog, but they had leash laws and walked outside (with the dog) at least a couple hours a day. She was also a timid thing, scared of a cat half her size! Maybe that's why she didn't mind staying inside.

That does seem a bit excessive. I volunteer for a local rescue group, and we are petty strict compared to some others. In our adoption contracts we specify an indoor only lifestyle for the cats, as well as agreeing not to declaw. For the dogs, we don't say the dogs have to be indoors 24/7, but we do ask that they do spend the majority of their time indoors (I think it says something like no more than a couple hours unsupervised (i.e. alone) a day). Which seems reasonable to me - why adopt a companion animal only to not spend time with it? Our group is really into the quality of the homes rather than the quantity of animals we can get out the door.

Best Topics: swedish addresses scattergories answers spam etymology is beer carbonated fuck in french high call volume sexy erections laundry pure system mike yanagita champagne exploding bass vs tenor sexy female warriors breathe pure oxygen knowing soundtrack beethoven whore pronunciation rotgut vodka a10 round charles mash midgets gay upwards arrow tissues for men worf brother kcco font jack warden imdb dipsticks omaha nys 1099g nra sticker best police album suck boobies iv d5w tko budie call bottom molar extraction baby seal club troubadours bombay potassium death ie is evil how long should a clutch last blue eyes in spanish black earrings on guys what does sc mean in movie ratings how many cars can a train pull legally african american rock bands whatever happens we have got are herbal cigarettes safe does printing in grayscale save ink why do i have to use so much toilet paper 36 inch waist male car battery dead after sitting 2 weeks day after tomorrow ending can parakeets and cockatiels live together how much to have mole removed why do men have a refractory period how many errors can you make on the behind-the-wheel test at&t wifi guest access adolf hitler nicknames carpet-chewer windows xp welcome music watery diarrhea every 20 minutes panic attack without anxiety watery diarrhea every hour add vanilla extract to paint dehumidifier blowing hot air fingerprints of the gods summary snap on vacuum pump blocked list on facebook period of 100 years will tylenol help a stomach ache menstrual cup causing cramps how to break a neck why is aluminum not magnetic