PDA

View Full Version : When is SNL going to outgrow its "one-joke skit" phase?

BrainGlutton
02-20-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm watching the NBC special on the first five years of Saturday Night Live, and it makes me grieve for what's happened to the show.

In those days, an SNL skit was situational -- you put some goofy characters in a situation and they would build jokes around that. "The Coneheads," "The Nerds," "The Wild and Crazy Guys" -- the situation might repeat from one skit to the next, there might have been some annoyingly overused catchphrases, but the jokes were not predictable or repetitive. It was rooted in the imrpov-comedy tradition. Some of the skits were not even "comedy" skits in the laff-a-minute sense, they were poignant, mildly humorous little mini-plays that might have been written by by Neil Simon.

Now -- an SNL skit follows a simpler formula: Pick one joke and wring every possible variation out of it until you run out the clock. E.g., "Pat" or "Massive Headwound Harry" or "The Richmeister" or "Debby Downer." When are they going to get back to some real comedy?

Bryan Ekers
02-20-2005, 10:35 PM
First let's see if they'll try to recapture the brilliance of the "Monkey throwing poo at celebrities" sketch.

Mr. Blue Sky
02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
... or "Debby Downer." ...

This abomination was just on the most recent show.

Rachel Dratch is NOT funny. Am I the only person who thinks this?

Bill H.
02-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing this Saturday. They had some dumb skit based on the idea that plates can be hot at restaurants. Which could've been funny for 20 seconds in some bigger skit. But it dragged on and on with things catching on fire and waiters wearing welding helmets. Of course, that one will die at one episode, but I agree about Debby Downer especially.

The only funny situational one I can think of now-a-days is that Show Biz Grande Explosion! That and the news, but that doesn't really count, and besides that second chick could not be more unfunny.

Snooooopy
02-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Now -- an SNL skit follows a simpler formula: Pick one joke and wring every possible variation out of it until you run out the clock. E.g., "Pat" or "Massive Headwound Harry" or "The Richmeister" or "Debby Downer."

Don't forget the "Somebody Talks Funnee" formula, where all of the humor is supposed to flow from the fact that one of the characters has a strange accent.

CapnPitt
02-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Rachel Dratch is REALLY NOT funny. I'm glad somebody finally said it.

The bad news for SNL is that they've re-invented the way-too-long sketch. That hot plate sketch was, simply put, abysmal.

Ahhhh, I'm mostly just disappointed that this most recent episode was terrible.

To say something positive, Seth Meyers is really funny when they give him a chance.

Brutus
02-20-2005, 10:57 PM
What stuns me is that shows like Kids in the Hall and Upright Citizens Brigade get axed after a few years, but SNL has been around since Christ was a corporal. What gives, I ask you?

The Controvert
02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
I enjoyed the hot plates skit. Really. The production values was higher than most of the other inexplicable unfunny SNL skits. They did a great job on the props. The actors had fun with it. Horatio Sanz did a nice job with the phrase "hot plate!" instead of just reading it off the cue cards like most of the actors. And I was surprised they bothered to make an actual punchline. It reminded me of the Will Farrell skit where the morning news crew goes nuts and become cannibals after the teleprompter goes blank.

That said, most of the other lame skits are phoned in efforts without any real writing and intended for non-sober viewers who are not watching intently. Also, I suppose another big demographic for them are kids who need to learn the next "hip" phrase. How long before all the kiddies in school are saying "hot plate"?

As for Rachel Dratch, the only logical explanation is that she must have some very compromising photos of Loren Michaels.

Odinoneeye
02-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Two things.

Tradition and the roller coaster.

SNL has gone from good to bad to good to bad to good to bad over and over again. I've been watching since almost the beginning and when it gets to a lean time (like now) I'll just watch an occasional episode. Usually it gets some new cast or new writers and starts getting better again.

MissTake
02-20-2005, 11:34 PM
It seems that some of the comedians are good at only certain roles, unfortunately when they're required to be something other than that said role (Horatio as stoner or Elton John), they suck big time.

My question is whether they change skits too soon to airtime for people to actually learn their lines. For once would I like to see a guest star or cast member look at each other rather than the teleprompter.

Weirddave
02-20-2005, 11:42 PM

Ehhh, she can be amusing at times. Maya Rudolph is the one who really stinks. NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Marley23
02-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Good post, BrainGlutton. I think the show also totally over-relies on recurring sketches now, and comes up with characters that aren't funny, just annoying. Annoying /= funny.

Hey, It's That Guy!
02-21-2005, 12:36 AM
But there's talent on SNL, really. Personally, I like Amy, Tina, Maya, Chris, Seth, Fred, Darrell, Will, Kenan, and even Horatio (not big on Rachel Dratch, sorry), and they have all entertained me--WITH THE RIGHT MATERIAL. I hated the cast that came before them (with Chris Kattan, Molly Shannon, etc.), and I even think the early '90s (Wayne's World-era) cast was way overrated, but I like these kids. When they're on, I think they're really on. But on a sketch comedy show, they're going to seem off more often than not.

elmwood
02-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Ehhh, she can be amusing at times. Maya Rudolph is the one who really stinks. NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Maya is versatile as hell, though - a terrific voice, and she can fit into just about any role. She isn't cast to her potential, though.

Rachel Dratch - short girl with a goofy yet cute appearance and ... uhh, back problems, most likely. Can be funny, but performs too many of those one-joke characters.

Bryan Ekers
02-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Have to admit, the openig bit where Dratch was psyching herself up for the show by screaming at a poster of Tina Fey cracked me up.

MaxTheVool
02-21-2005, 01:13 AM
There's an important distinction here:

Debbie Downer - NOT funny at all. Perhaps the worst recurring sketch ever

Rachel Dratch - VERY funny. Just think back to her and Will Ferell as the Luuuvers

Large Marge
02-21-2005, 01:19 AM
I'm watching the NBC special on the first five years of Saturday Night Live, and it makes me grieve for what's happened to the show...

I've been watching the special, too, and SNL sucks now, in comparison. I don't think it's the cast, though (I think Dratch is funny, too): I think it's the writing. I agree that they need to get past the "one-joke skit phase." And I miss the improv. Now, the skits are so stilted, like Horatio's line delivery in the "hot plate" skit: He had to keep looking at the teleprompter, something only the guest used to do.

And imo, the bands were WAY better.

Walloon
02-21-2005, 03:13 AM
Horatio Sanz not only looks at the TelePrompTer, he makes these inexplicable pauses before his lines that just throw the tempo of the sketch off by a beat. It looks like he missed rehearsal.

I like Rachel Dratch! She always has her lines memorized, and her timing is on cue. But a favorite Dratch scene of mine didn't rely on dialogue at all. It was a sketch in a business meeting, where Will Ferrell is making a presentation wearing only a thong. He's standing next to Rachel Dratch, whose face goes through a dozen different shades of distress and embarrassment as Ferrell talks on.

Snooooopy
02-21-2005, 03:58 AM
Have to admit, the openig bit where Dratch was psyching herself up for the show by screaming at a poster of Tina Fey cracked me up.

Did you know they used to do a two-woman sketch show together before "SNL"?

blowero
02-21-2005, 05:32 AM
I agree that the one-joke sketches generally suck. But sue me - I liked the "hot plate" sketch. I hadn't even thought about it before, but it IS unbelievably annoying to have the waiter harangue you about how hot the plates are every time you eat out. And the way they just kept escalating it, until the last plate is glowing red, and disintegrates anyone who looks at it, and the waiter is wearing a welding mask - well, it just cracked me up. It's the best sketch I've seen on SNL in a long time. (Of course, that's not saying much.)

And actually, my favorite sketch of all time, the cowbell sketch, was also a one-joker. So they're not always bad.

Meeko
02-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Don't forget the "Somebody Talks Funnee" formula, where all of the humor is supposed to flow from the fact that one of the characters has a strange accent.
I think Mrs.Swan on Mad TV is just about all we can take of a funny talker. Then again, Mad TV seems to be headed to where SNL used to be a long time ago. -Wish I was around to see the "classics" first run. (Before 82)

Harborwolf
02-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Gah! Saturday Night Live is a nightmare. Nearly everyone on the current crop stinks. I can't even make it through one skit on the show.

The worst part is that often the skits aren't bad. They just go too long or the timing is off. It doesn't help that they rely way too much on cue cards. It's sooooo close to not sucking.

BrotherCadfael
02-21-2005, 07:23 AM
As someone who was around when SNL was new, let me let you in on a little secret.

Saturday Night Live never WAS all that good.

Oh, certainly it had its moments -- most of which show up on the retrospectives, but overall they were famous for taking a sketch which would have been funny at five minutes, running with it for ten or twelve minutes, repeating essentially the exact same sketch half a dozen times a season, and then turning it inro a ninty-minute movie.

Frankly, it was only funny if you were stoned, as most of the audience (and damn near all of the cast) were at the time.

GingerOfTheNorth
02-21-2005, 07:55 AM
A book I just read this week gives a behind-the-scenes look at the show. It's called Gasping For Airtime (http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1401300065/102-3557546-9328139?v=glance), written by Jay Mohr. He was on the show for two seasons.

newcrasher
02-21-2005, 10:58 AM

I have ALWAYS agreed with this!

She is not funny and has a face made for radio if ya know what I mean. IT always seemed to me she must be a relative of Lorne or be blowing someone.

BrainGlutton
02-21-2005, 11:48 AM
More than anything else from the '70s period, I miss the low-key skits, the mini-plays. I remember one with Bill Murray, Gilda Radner and Karl Malden. Murray and Radner are a married couple, staying at the house of Malden, her Dad. He comes to see them -- really her -- at bedtime. The gimmick is that he talks to her like Murray isn't there and tells him to shut up whenever he says anything. It's not funny like the Coneheads were funny but it makes for a nice change of pace. And there's one with Burt Reynolds and Gilda Radner, an upwardly mobile couple wearing a matched pair of outfits, rehashing and fighting over every social cue that went wrong at a party they just attended. And a kind of "Jewish mother" skit with Jane Curtin and Gilda Radner. Why can't they do anything like that any more? Why does it all have to be this goofy, surreal stuff that isn't all that funny anyway?

Dewey Finn
02-21-2005, 12:30 PM
As someone who was around when SNL was new, let me let you in on a little secret.

Oh, certainly it had its moments -- most of which show up on the retrospectives, but overall they were famous for taking a sketch which would have been funny at five minutes, running with it for ten or twelve minutes, repeating essentially the exact same sketch half a dozen times a season, and then turning it inro a ninty-minute movie.

Frankly, it was only funny if you were stoned, as most of the audience (and damn near all of the cast) were at the time.

I agree, although I was always sober (but tired) when watching the show. My theory is that people have selective memory of the earlier seasons. We tend to remember the highlights and forget that most of the ninety minutes sucked.

Rube E. Tewesday
02-21-2005, 12:37 PM
It seems that some of the comedians are good at only certain roles, unfortunately when they're required to be something other than that said role (Horatio as stoner or Elton John), they suck big time.

My question is whether they change skits too soon to airtime for people to actually learn their lines. For once would I like to see a guest star or cast member look at each other rather than the teleprompter.

According to an article I once read in a reliable source like an in-flight magazine ;), the cast are actually not allowed to memorize their lines. Because of problems with skits running too long, etc, the lines are often being re-written during the actual show, and people are supposed to say what's currently on the teleprompter, not what they said in rehearsal.

Khadaji
02-21-2005, 01:31 PM

I agree. I never enjoyed it. True, the Bad News Bees skit made me laugh (Killer Bees as the Bad News Bears) with "Tommy's buzzing off" and "He has honey all over his stinger" but rarely were there any real laughs.

Odinoneeye
02-21-2005, 03:17 PM

As someone else who was around when SNL was new, I'd have to disagree with this.

Sure there were bad skits, and even whole episodes that fell flat, but the fact that they were so much more experimental is what made it great.

Usually, I could stay entertained for the full 90 minutes (and no, I never watched it stoned or drunk).

In the first season or so, they did take the experiementation a bit too far at times. They needed to find their stride, but once that was hit, it took off.

(A case in point was one of the first few episodes had Paul Simon as guest host and there was very little comedy. It was almost all music).

James Westphal
02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I think being less formulaic would help. There's nothing wrong with more music. Jack Black was a host a few years back and the show was very musical and even had a different musical guest (John Mayer). Several of the popstar hosts (eg Britney Spears) couldn't carry the show on music alone, despite being terrible actors.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
It seems to me that some skits reveal the funny in the first thirty seconds, and others wait until near the end to reveal the funny. It's the latter skits that stay with me.

Think:
Happy Fun Ball
Richard Pryor's Racist Interview ("DEAD honky!")
The comic-timing time machine in the bathroom.

These all greatly amused me.
Skits where you learn the joke first thing in are much harder to pull off. Sure, there's land-shark, but that seems to be an exception. Far too many of them just can't sustain the initial joke.

That's one thing I love about Kids in the Hall: each skit has a central joke, but likely as not they'll twist it around on you halfway through.

Daniel

Morbo
02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Another sad fact I realized after last week's show is that the "commercials" now suck too. What the hell was that really unfunny old man giving bad investment advice? Good premise, horrific execution.

And I'm getting reeeeeeeally sick of Horatio Sanz breaking character and cracking up at himself. (c.f. Jimmy Fallon)

Walloon
02-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know any more sophisiticated critical terms than "sucks"? Or have we all turned into potty-mouths?

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know any more sophisiticated critical terms than "sucks"? Or have we all turned into potty-mouths?
Err...it bites ass?

At any rate, there's been plenty of specific criticism of it, including in the first post. I don't know what's wrong with using "sucks" as a summary word.

Daniel

Mr. Blue Sky
02-21-2005, 05:07 PM

If we weren't talking about low grade UN-sophisticated TV, yes.

How about a more up-to-date term than "potty mouth"?

Absolute
02-21-2005, 05:08 PM
What I hate about mostly all humor in the media today is that it's based around laughing at stupidity - and that's mostly it. Nothing more.

I don't think stupid people are funny. I think stupid people are intolerable wastes of oxygen. I don't like watching stupid people do stupid things and expect me to laugh at how stupid they are. I want to see real humor, not some dipshit actor making a fool out of himself pretending to be an idiot.

Maybe the problem is that no one is pretending, anymore.

Merhouse
02-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Well, there's always blows :)

The fact that Leslie M. affectionately crowned me Gutter Gums in college is entirely beside the point.

Morbo
02-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Perhaps you can deign to grace the bourgeoisie with some suggestions? I can wait until you're finished reading The New Yorker.

Walloon
02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
In other words you can't?

Mr. Blue Sky
02-21-2005, 05:20 PM

You brought it up, you suggest something. We like the word.

Mr. Blue Sky
02-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I think I've put my finger on why I despise Rachel Dratch.

She's like that goofy kid in school who's always doing stupid and/or embarassing things, but everybody's afraid to say anything to her because you swear somebody told you she was retarded (or "mentally challenged" depending upon when you grew up) and you were afraid or upsetting her or bringing the teacher's wrath down upon you.

When in reality, she's just a spastic idiot who likes to annoy people because she has no social skills and it's too late to teach her any.

Just a theory.

Marley23
02-21-2005, 05:31 PM
What I hate about mostly all humor in the media today is that it's based around laughing at stupidity - and that's mostly it.
Generalization aside, I think this is pretty close to the truth.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
In other words, we have: that you're having too much fun acting superior to us and ignoring the substantive comments on the show's humor is your problem, not ours.

If, however, you think that the substantive criticism of the show is inadequate, we wait with bated breath for you to demonstrate the standard of critique which we should all evince.

Lead onward, Great One!

Daniel

Bryan Ekers
02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
And I'm getting reeeeeeeally sick of Horatio Sanz breaking character and cracking up at himself. (c.f. Jimmy Fallon)

He must be a good writer or a good salad tosser, cause he's a lousy actor.

Absolute
02-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Sucks, in this case, means "not funny and/or stupid."

I don't think I really know any "sophisticated critical terms" anyway. Maybe we could all whine about how nothing has human scale anymore? Oh wait, that's from the architectural blowhards, not the television ones, never mind.

Marley23
02-21-2005, 05:43 PM
He must be a good writer or a good salad tosser, cause he's a lousy actor.
Great drug dealer.

Mr. Blue Sky
02-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Denny Dillon (remember her?) is funnier than Horatio Sanz.

BrainGlutton
02-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Skits where you learn the joke first thing in are much harder to pull off. Sure, there's land-shark, but that seems to be an exception. Far too many of them just can't sustain the initial joke.

That's one thing I love about Kids in the Hall: each skit has a central joke, but likely as not they'll twist it around on you halfway through.

Daniel

I saw the documentary Life of Python -- Eric Idle said that the Monty Python team used to have a joke: "What's the difference between life and a Saturday Night Live sketch?" "Life doesn't go on forever!" When they were flming a Monty Python sketch, often as not they'd stop halfway through and say, "You know, it's not funny any more, let's change it!"

Morbo
02-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Well I'd hate to try another word, only to fail your Superiority Test.

Bryan Ekers
02-21-2005, 06:19 PM

You know what kind of person tries to force a product onto a free market that doesn't want it?

A COMMIE!!!

Dignan
02-21-2005, 06:27 PM
It's almost like SNL keeps getting worse, so when the re-runs -- even those from three years ago -- are better in comparison. Even the re-runs aren't on as often as they should be because of E! hardly running them, and Comedy Central stupidly opting for Mad TV.

Some of the older SNL episodes have acts that aren't part of the show anymore. I've seen some re-runs with the magician Rick Jay, a music video of Bob Seger's "Night Moves," and little videos of eccentric people. What happened that those aren't part of the show anymore?

Another sad fact I realized after last week's show is that the "commercials" now suck too. What the hell was that really unfunny old man giving bad investment advice? Good premise, horrific execution.

It was even worse than you think: it was like a bad rip-off of a Dean Witter mock commercial from the early-to-mid-90's. The first time they did it, it was mocking a Dean Witter commercial that was being run at the time. Black-and-white footage of Old Guys sitting around a table in suits talking about how they would take care of customers. The fake commercial had the same actor as the one from last week. He talks about how they will have a list of customers, and keep it in a safe place. If a customer is saying something, and you aren't listening, and they catch you, then you should act like you know what they're talking about. It's funnier in-person. Yeah, it was a rip-off of an old SNL commercial, so it was doubly disappointing for me.

Dewey Cheatem Undhow
02-21-2005, 06:42 PM
And actually, my favorite sketch of all time, the cowbell sketch, was also a one-joker. So they're not always bad.Yeah, but the cowbell sketch had Christopher Walken in it, and Walken can make anything work.

Mr2001
02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
I think Mrs.Swan on Mad TV is just about all we can take of a funny talker. Then again, Mad TV seems to be headed to where SNL used to be a long time ago. -Wish I was around to see the "classics" first run. (Before 82)
Do people actually watch Mad TV?

As far as I can tell, the show follows the same premise as that old MAD Magazine piece about "no-liners" ("I grew up in a town so small, the hooker wore a helmet!"): it has all the structure of a sketch comedy show, but without the actual humor. It's easy to tell which lines are supposed to be jokes, but I don't think I've even cracked a smile while watching Mad TV.

BrainGlutton
02-21-2005, 07:10 PM

:dubious: Not monoverbally, no. You'll find lots of incisive and insightful criticisms of SNL in this thread. They all take at least a complete sentence to put across. If you want to pack all your disparagement into a single snarl-world, "sucks" serves as well as any. I defy you to improve upon it.

Bryan Ekers
02-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but the cowbell sketch had Christopher Walken in it, and Walken can make anything work.

"I got a fever and the prescription is... MORE COWBELL!"

To me, the quintessential Walken sketch will always be "Pranksters", with "The Continental" series close behind.

anu-la1979
02-22-2005, 05:14 PM
I have a soft spot for Rachel Dratch b/c she hails from my hometown in Taxachusetts and spoke at my sister's graduation as the keynote speaker simply b/c her mom is friends with a kid in my sister's class and said kid's mom asked her mom and she said yes (this was after she made it on to SNL). You gotta love a celebrity who gives in to Mom-pressure. IRL she came off as a really cool person.

I think she is hysterical with Will Ferrell as the "luuuuuuvers" but I hate that Debbie Downer skit. I didn't even think the first one was all that funny.

Left Hand of Dorkness
02-22-2005, 05:19 PM
I saw the documentary Life of Python -- Eric Idle said that the Monty Python team used to have a joke: "What's the difference between life and a Saturday Night Live sketch?" "Life doesn't go on forever!" When they were flming a Monty Python sketch, often as not they'd stop halfway through and say, "You know, it's not funny any more, let's change it!"
That's great!

Yeah, Monty Python often does the same thing (think of the Holiday sketch, for example), which is part of why they're funnier than SNL. But it seems like every KitH sketch I've seen--not very many, mind you, but a few episodes' worth--had multiple jokes and changes in it, which kept me laughing throughout.

Daniel

Best Topics: archimedes iq youngest looking porn your welcome origin car cut off forever sharp razor bosnian alcohol geico radio commercials bologna curls medieval villain tivo bookmark soy capitan song holy hannah mel gibson accent don alverso tweezers c4 explosice uterine biopsy painful dubya meaning mensa member benefits penicillin urine odor latino latina awakens ancient feelings spanish bullfighting music maalox recalled grenade radius nude ymca chevy corolla arbuckle cartoon fucking a cd pseudoephedrine alternative man buying tampons hybrid camel sensuopoly board game pencil in ear pronunciation of niger what does a center do in football does urgent care do ivs most cigarettes smoked in one day can a neutral wire be connected to ground how long can grapes last in the fridge bolt safe to wall meka leka hi meka hiney ho english translation of la cucaracha send money on paypal without account girl in tank top without bra how much does a contractor make on a house rat poison pellets home depot fm direct adapter aux input arthur c clarke pedophile midnight special song meaning predominantly heterosexual but more than incidentally homosexual comedy bang bang message board 4th dimension explained simply why are bread and butter pickles called bread and butter do calming collar for cats work star wars theme lyrics vent bathroom fan into attic can we contact current employer when is hair considered long herpes exposure vs infection can blood be used as an egg substitute passing on the right what is the drinking age in canada for us citizens radiator tank repair kit dmv eye chart cheat sheet