PDA

View Full Version : You put the lime in the coconut and drink'em both together

Marlitharn
04-14-2005, 07:31 AM
You put the lime in the coconut and drink'em both togetherYou put the lime in the coconut and drink'em both togetherYOU PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT AND DRINK'EM BOTH TOGETHER YOU PUT THE GODDAMN LIME IN THE MOTHERFUCKING COCONUT AND DRINK BOTH THE SHITNASTY THINGS TOGETHER...

I hate this commercial. I can't get the song out of my head. I'm prone to hypnogogic hallucinations, and yesterday there were three small men standing by my bed singing this jingle over and over and over and over until I forced myself awake enough to turn over.

As God is my witness, I will NEVER put the lime in the coconut. And I'm damn sure not gonna drink'em both together. What the hell is this commercial for, anyway?

Anonymous Coward
04-14-2005, 07:35 AM
You put the lime in the Coke, you nut!

Harborwolf
04-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Three men? Slacker. I've got my own tiny little oompah band.

You haven't heard the coke jingle 'till you've heard it oompah style.

fishbicycle
04-14-2005, 09:23 AM
You may be hurting now because that commercial drives you nuts. But if Harry Nilsson were alive, he'd just have got rich all over again. I imagine his estate could not rationally turn down the amount of money Coke offered them to use that song. When somebody else has written your jingle for you, and millions of people already know it, that's serendipity. And good business.

Homebrew
04-14-2005, 09:34 AM
I laughed out loud the first time I saw that ad. It's brilliant.

Left Hand of Dorkness
04-14-2005, 09:39 AM
I love that song. They had it playing at the gym yesterday, and it was all i could do to keep myself from singing along as I puffed away. I had no idea it was in a Coke commercial. Ah well.

Daniel

Nametag
04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
"Clowns to the left of me!
Jokers to the right!
Here I am stuck in the middle with you."

Sorry. "Coconut" always reminds me of Reservoir Dogs

audiobottle
04-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't mind the commercial so much, but the actual product it's selling? Damn that's some nasty swill. Maybe it was the diet-drink hater in my speaking, but diet-Coke with lime tastes like somebody went down on Crystal clear Pepsi and spit the results in a cup.

brownie55
04-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't mind the commercial so much, but the actual product it's selling? Damn that's some nasty swill. Maybe it was the diet-drink hater in my speaking, but diet-Coke with lime tastes like somebody went down on Crystal clear Pepsi and spit the results in a cup.
OK, you just undid all their advertising. I blush to admid that formerly, I had been a happy consumer. That image, however, has ruined it for me.

Myrnalene
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Since when does Coke (http://noveltyradionut.com/html/Coca%20Cola%20Bottle%20Hardees%20b-f.JPG) = a coconut (http://hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/images/large/coconut.jpg)? Is the song not about an actual fucking coconut? This commercial hurts my brain.

Tabby_Cat
04-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Well, I really really like the muppets version. :D

Sauron
Since when does Coke (http://noveltyradionut.com/html/Coca%20Cola%20Bottle%20Hardees%20b-f.JPG) = a coconut (http://hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/images/large/coconut.jpg)? Is the song not about an actual fucking coconut? This commercial hurts my brain.

They're singing, "You put the lime in the Coke, you nut, and drink it all up."

Elza B

There's regular Coke with Lime now, too. I have to admit, I'm a bit addicted to it. I can't stand the Diet Coke with Lime, but the regular stuff is pretty good.

I stick lime in my Coke all the time, though, so that's probably why I like it.

E.

audiobottle
04-14-2005, 10:41 AM
OK, you just undid all their advertising. I blush to admid that formerly, I had been a happy consumer. That image, however, has ruined it for me.
It's words like these that let me look over each day and smile.

Greenback
04-14-2005, 10:43 AM
The commercial sparks a war of songs in my head, pitting the coconut song against Cougar Mellancamp's song that includes the line "that's when a coke was a coke" (I can't recall the title atm).

So far, the coconut is winning.

Myrnalene
04-14-2005, 10:44 AM

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. And is fucking stupid.

brownie55
04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
The commercial sparks a war of songs in my head, pitting the coconut song against Cougar Mellancamp's song that includes the line "that's when a coke was a coke" (I can't recall the title atm).

"Cherrybomb"?

Homebrew
04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
That's Cherry Bomb, [b]Greenback[/i], IIRC.

LibrarySpy
04-14-2005, 10:48 AM
This is where I admit I'm too young to know the original song, and thus thought it was a random-ass commercial with people in lab coats.

I do, however, like my cheeseburgers with Heinz 57 and french-fry potato.

Dolores Reborn
04-14-2005, 10:50 AM

That's Tim McGraw's "Back When." (http://azlyrics.com/lyrics/timmcgraw/backwhen.html)

Dolores Reborn
04-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I hate it when I have to double post!

I like the song, I like the ad and I like regular Coke with Lime. No too lime-y. Try it with Jim Beam in it! Mmmm.

Sauron
04-14-2005, 11:07 AM
That's Tim McGraw's "Back When." (http://azlyrics.com/lyrics/timmcgraw/backwhen.html)

No, it's from Mellencamp's "Cherry Bomb", which includes the refrain:

That's when a Coke was a Coke
And groovin' was groovin'
And dancin' was everything
We were young, and we were improvin' ...

PoorYorick
04-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Isn't that actually Harry Nilsson singing "You put the lime in the coconut," even though the subtitles are different? Either that, or they found someone who sounds uncannily like him. Nilsson Schmilsson is one of my all time favorite albums, and this is one of my all time favorite songs.

Greenback
04-14-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks Sauron.

asterion
04-14-2005, 12:16 PM
"You put the beer in the coconut and drink it all up, you put the beer in the coconut and throw the can away."

Great take on the original.

Rodd Hill
04-14-2005, 12:20 PM
"There's a hole in de bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza..."

gobear
04-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I like Diet Coke with Lime. I'm a bad, bad man.

Dolores Reborn
04-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Oh! I knew that... It's also a line in Back When:

Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when

Corny as hell.

Iacob_Matthew
04-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Since when does Coke (http://noveltyradionut.com/html/Coca%20Cola%20Bottle%20Hardees%20b-f.JPG) = a coconut (http://hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/images/large/coconut.jpg)? Is the song not about an actual fucking coconut? This commercial hurts my brain.Looking at that commercial, I suddenly understand why it's called a coconut.

Sorry, I'm feeling crude today.

Maus Magill
04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Is there nothing Marlitharn can take to ease his belly ache?

I said, Doctor?

Sauron
04-14-2005, 01:07 PM
My bad, Dolores Reborn ... didn't realize you knew both songs. I thought you were saying it was just from the Tim McGraw song. Carry on.

World Eater
04-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Yeah that commercial has been driving me nuts too.

FordPrefect
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM

I do too. Diet A&W Root Beer and Diet Dr. Pepper are the only other diet drinks I like.

You people are messed up, the lime goes into the Gin and Tonic.

audiobottle
04-14-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm only letting this slide because of your teaching me a new way to make fun of my Japanese co-worker (regarding wae).

Dolores Reborn
04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
My bad, Dolores Reborn ... didn't realize you knew both songs. I thought you were saying it was just from the Tim McGraw song. Carry on.
No, my bad! I know the song, but I didn't connect it with that line... I was correcting you - incorrectly! :D

Greenback
04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
No, my bad! I know the song, but I didn't connect it with that line... I was correcting you - incorrectly! :D
No, no. My bad for not bothering to remember the referenced song title.

This is getting waaaaay too touchy for the Pit.

Chefguy
04-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't know about lime in coconut, but I spent several months on St. Thomas and we often put de rum in de coconut and drank 'em bote tagedda.

SCCajun
04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
The song in the commercial is bad enough. I have a 7 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. They hear the commercial and begin singing with it (or occasionally at random times in the day). Unfortunately, when the commercial is over (or when they start it on their own), they can only remember the first phrase.

PUT THE LIME IN THE COCONUT (or COKE YOU NUT)

Over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Sorry, just wanted to make sure you got the point.

Yeah, it was cute at first, but now. Ugh!!! Thankfully we have started Little League Baseball season and with practice and games most of our TV watching is done through Tivo and we can fast forward through the commercials.

John Mace
04-14-2005, 02:22 PM
I laughed out loud the first time I saw that ad. It's brilliant.

Me, too. I thought it was very much in keeping with the spirit of the song. It could easily get overplayed, though. A few times and it's funny.... 100 times and it's annoying.

wonderwench
04-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Oh GAWD

wonderwench
04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Oh GAWD! I frellllling hate this commercial.

And now I cannot get this song out of my head.

I guess it is time for the Peanut Butter Jelly Time song - the antidote to all other annoying songs.

http://ebaumsworld.com/peanutbutter.shtml

vetbridge
04-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I love that song. They had it playing at the gym yesterday, and it was all i could do to keep myself from singing along as I puffed away.

They allow smoking at your gym????

:D

FatBaldGuy
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Thank you sooooo much for getting this stupid song stuck in my head for the past hour.

Spoke
04-14-2005, 03:27 PM

That's when a smoke was a smoke, I believe.

(Or were you being funny?)

Greenback
04-14-2005, 03:43 PM
All these posts regarding my Mellancamp reference for nothing.

That's when a sport was a sport (http://lyricsfreak.com/j/john-mellencamp/74508.html)

I never would have guessed.

Marlitharn
04-14-2005, 04:01 PM
"You put the lime in the Coke, you nut?"

Eww. In my day, we put Jack Daniels in the Coke, and we damn well liked it. Lime. Bleh.

wonderwench, I see your dancing banana and raise you a llama. (http://pointystick.com/funnyflash.php?id=275&page=0)

So there.

Homebrew
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
It saves time, too, now that I think about it. Add rum and instant Cuba Libre. No more looking for a lime.

Fuji Kitakyusho
04-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I have to concur that the Muppets version of that tune was the best. Right up there with Manama for tunes that stick in your brain.

Fuji Kitakyusho
04-14-2005, 04:16 PM
manamana-do-dooo-do-do-do...

sorry.

Queen Tonya
04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I like it, it's not often a commercial can make me bust out laughing.

Don't worry audiobottle I don't enjoy cola at all so it's all good, I'll just groove to the jingle for free. :D

wonderwench
04-14-2005, 04:21 PM
"You put the lime in the Coke, you nut?"

Eww. In my day, we put Jack Daniels in the Coke, and we damn well liked it. Lime. Bleh.

wonderwench, I see your dancing banana and raise you a llama. (http://pointystick.com/funnyflash.php?id=275&page=0)

So there.

That is really horrible. I love it!

I see your llama and raise you a Hamster Dance (http://superlaugh.com/1/hamsterdance.htm)

lieu
04-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Aw, I'm gonna miss ol' Harry. Pal of John Lennon, he also wrote the theme to The Courtship of Eddie's Father, Everybody's Talkin from Midnight Cowboy and Me And My Arrow. His stuff was covered by the Yardbirds, Blood, Sweat and Tears, The Turtles, Three Dog Night and Badfinger. Nilsson Schmilsson was completely enjoyable, not so much because of Coconut but more so for Jump Into The Fire. I had no idea he was dead. Big bummer.

Homebrew
04-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I'll see your Hamster Dance and raise you I Love Egg (http://iloveegg.com/winopen_ani/eggsong.htm)

fishbicycle
04-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Sorry, lieu, Harry didn't write "Everybody's Talkin'" - that honor goes to Fred Neil. And Badfinger didn't cover him, he covered them - it was their "Without You" that went to #1 worldwide.

I've got all of his recordings, and four years ago, my wife and I went to Harryfest in Los Angeles. People from all over the world who loved Harry enough to travel to LA gathered there. We went to the defunct RCA studios where he recorded, met engineers, producers and actors who worked with him, had a great get-together at the home of his son, Zak... it was a magical kind of vacation that can never happen again.

Marlitharn
04-14-2005, 06:31 PM
I'll see your Hamster Dance and raise you I Love Egg (http://iloveegg.com/winopen_ani/eggsong.htm)
Oh, dear Og. You win.

chaoticbear
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM

I used to lust after you.

StarvingButStrong
04-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Wasn't this song used as the theme for a very short-lived medical sitcom, I'm thinking sometime in the 70's? Can't dredge up the title, but Matt Frewer (Freuer? something like that) played on of the lead doctors.

kunilou
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
You're thinking of a short lived but hilarious (IMHO) sticom called Doctor Doctor, but I believe the theme was the "doctor doctor, give me the news" riff.

As for all of you who have the coconuts burning a hole in your brain, be thankful you weren't raising kids when Shari Lewis and Lambchop were on PBS singing

This is the song that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friend...

Glassy
04-14-2005, 08:19 PM
...Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu
I miss back when

Corny as hell.

[total hijack]

This is the stupidest damn song I've ever heard in my life. I am 35, so Tim McGraw can't be more than 2 years older than me at most, and I can damn guarantee you that a screw was a fuck for as long as I've been able to talk. I suspect that before either Tim or I were born, when the very first screw was invented, the inventor looked at it and went :dubious: "Heh heh!"

Why the hell is McGraw doing this horrifying old fogey impersonation on the one hand, reminiscing about fried bologna sandwiches and bitching about the kids who are using that newfangled hippy-hoppy slang like "screw" and "I'm down with that," and then on the other hand doing duets with Nelly?! Augh! Someone stop him!

[/th]

lieu
04-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Dangit fish, apparently you're quite right on that. I knew Harry got the '70 Grammy for it and in discussions we'd given him credit for being the writer as well. Thanks, always nice to meet another fan.

fishbicycle
04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey, lieu, if you're a fan, you need to go to this website! (http://harrynilsson.com/)

These are the people who put on the Harryfests. Everything Harry in one convenient little jade box.

Sauron
04-15-2005, 10:26 AM
That's when a smoke was a smoke, I believe.

(Or were you being funny?)

Yeah, that's it ... I was making a joke. Yeah.

Man, I hate it when I'm stupid and wrong. Which is most of the time, but still ...

Greenback, that lyrics site may claim the lyrics are "when a sport was a sport," but I'll never be convinced that's what he's actually saying. It's gotta be "when a smoke was a smoke."

Dolores Reborn, feel free to mock me most mercilessly now.

lieu
04-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks. Duly bookmarked. I was just being sloppy in my cover descriptions. Badfinger Straight Up was the third album I ever bought.

Now if I can just get lucky enough to catch this commercial. Apparently I'm the only one who hasn't seen it yet.

Greenback
04-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree with you Sauron but I found three other sites that claim "sport" as well.

Recording studio ad lib?

Biggirl
04-15-2005, 04:30 PM
I've listened to the whole song now and I can't figure out of drinking the Coke with lime will give me de belly ache or make me feel bedda.

Homebrew
04-15-2005, 04:57 PM
We'll know when you call me in the mornin', Biggirl.

Misnomer
04-15-2005, 06:10 PM
That song always makes me smile, and then it always makes me think of the drinking scene in Practical Magic (http://imdb.com/title/tt0120791/). :)

wonderwench
04-15-2005, 06:14 PM

It is audio only, but I see you I Love Egg and raise you one William Shatner "sining" Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

http://frogstar.com/trek/Diamonds.mp3

ioioio
04-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Kids love the Lime in the Coconut song. Even before the commercial, I'd play it for kids who visit me; it gets them all happy and silly and dancing around. I love the song. I love the commercial (I'll actually rewind to watch it a second time). And I have always drunk my Coke with lime.
So there.

asterion
04-15-2005, 09:05 PM
It saves time, too, now that I think about it. Add rum and instant Cuba Libre. No more looking for a lime.

I'll tell you how my version of an instant Cuba Libre went.

Ingredients:

1 12 oz can of Diet Coke with Lime
Some amount of Admiral Nelson (yeah, I spared no expense there :rolleyes: ) but I don't know how much, because I just pour some into my cup without using a shotglass or anything like that. I'd ballpark it at about four shots.
A bunch of ice from my earlier soda.

Result: Too much soda, not enough rum. Though I don't think you're supposed to use spiced rum to begin with. Not bad, but I still like Captain Morgan and Diet Pepsi Vanilla better.

Sarah Woodruff
04-15-2005, 09:34 PM
See, if they screened that ad in Australia, it wouldn't make me want to get a Coke, it would make me want to watch Reservoir Dogs again.

[/I]I don't tip, I don't believe in it..."[I]

The Hook
04-16-2005, 12:33 AM
See, if they screened that ad in Australia, it wouldn't make me want to get a Coke, it would make me want to watch Reservoir Dogs again.

Thank you! Yes, the mood of the song will acquire a whole new meaning when you watch that film (though that's where I heard it first). You won't have coke on your mind, you will have a violent mexican stand-off and pools of blood in your nuggin'. Fun.

Qwisp
04-16-2005, 12:47 AM
You're thinking of a short lived but hilarious (IMHO) sticom called Doctor Doctor, but I believe the theme was the "doctor doctor, give me the news" riff.

As for all of you who have the coconuts burning a hole in your brain, be thankful you weren't raising kids when Shari Lewis and Lambchop were on PBS singing

This is the song that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friend...

Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because...............

Marlitharn
04-16-2005, 01:23 AM
My evil husband just had his evil boss call me at work and sing that evil coconut song at me. Of course he knows, this means war.

I wonder if I can talk my cops into surrounding their building and blasting "Bad Boys" over their loudspeakers.

umop ap!sdn
04-16-2005, 05:27 PM
...that lyrics site may claim the lyrics are "when a sport was a sport," but I'll never be convinced that's what he's actually saying.
I thought he was saying "spoke".

Nice going, CocaCola, for releasing a commercial that blatantly insults its viewers. :dubious: And to use something that just about qualifies as a song (IMO) in the process. It must be about time to bring back the "liquid ass" sig line. :D

Bryan Ekers
04-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Three men? Slacker. I've got my own tiny little oompah band.

But do you get the terrible blinding heacaches when they stop playing?

Mint Julep
04-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I love the Manama Song!

Best Topics: john b sloop anthill art price publicdata com review wrestle tickle pi * e chicken yield percentage phone number spell cyrillic vs latin duso the dolphin ggf meaning cough button bald teenagers define shylock 308 wound famous berklee alumni heartgard amazon dogs shawshank redemption obtuse radio name carlos santana winning dog prozac overdose polyester dress nicknames for hitler fandango unsubscribe starsky hutch archive shot of whisky radium clock trimps slow sinai pronounce unbroken geodes pizza temp borrow ditch untangle phone cords the limit is the sky how toxic is super glue honda pilot commercial buddy holly why does the back button not work on some websites sitting in on college classes for free raising arizona we ate sand usb device not recognized windows 7 nothing plugged in what is the point of a minor snoqualmie falls lodge pancake mix why does my cat's meow sound scratchy where does the belly button go why does behind my ear smell how to find a warehouse to live in columbia space shuttle bodies straight guys circle jerk is dr pepper a cherry flavored soda reheat fries in microwave when i yawn my neck cramps up 800 got junk pricing what does ambien show up as on a drug test why did cowboys wear vests dead salmon after spawning spiders are born knowing how to build a web by boo boo kitty laverne and shirley whatever happened to red pistachios ss blood type tattoo 24 yr old male what does catch as catch can mean why is my penis darker full metal jacket virgin mary buy sudafed 12 hour online can you eat swan medical billing time limit is my vote public record