PDA

View Full Version : What's a "Hollaback Girl"?

Tripler
05-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I typically spend three mornings a week in the gym before work. We've got TVs up, and it seems that at least three times a morning is the new Gwen Stafani song "Hollaback Girl".

:: clears throat :: Please, excuse me for a moment . . .

OMIGAWDGWENSTAFANIHASANEWSONG!! ITISSOOOOOOGREATWENEEDTOPLAYITFIFTEENTIMESANHOUR!!!!!!!! ITISSUCHAROXXORSONG!! WEALLLOVEGWENSTAFANIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:: cough, ahem ::

:rolleyes:

But, I gotta ask, is "Hollaback Girl" some sort of slang for something? Does it refer to something in particular? Furthermore, is there such a thing as a "Hollaback Guy"?

Tripler
I'm always trying to expand my vocabulary.

I can't believe that's butter!
05-13-2005, 06:47 PM
From the context, I think it's like a (looks around, notes we're in CS) "eff"-buddy or similar. I can't make sense of the possible syntax surrounding this, but this may be the ultimate goal. of course, I could just be totally off-base.

Bleah. I feel dirty from even reading the word.

I can't believe that's butter!
05-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Urban Dictionary (http://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hollaback+girl&r=f) seems to agree with additional provisions.

Hey, It's That Guy!
05-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Here are some definitions from the Urban Dictionary, ranging from the ridiculous to the sublime:

http://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hollaback+girl&r=f

kaylasdad99
05-13-2005, 07:18 PM
It's a cheerleader, of course. (http://ocweekly.com/ink/05/35/music-stacy.php) And Gwen is the Head Cheerleader who leads the yells:

Head Cheerleader Gwen (hollering): Gimme a "T!"

Subordinate "Hollaback" Regular Cheerleader Girls (hollering back): "T!"

HCG: Gimme an "E!"

S"H"RCGs: "E!"

HCG: Gimme an "A!"

S"H"RCGs: "A!"

HCG: Gimme an "M!"

S"H"RCGs: "M!"

etc.

See, she isn't a hollaback girl.

Now imagine me nodding sagely, like a Kids in the Hall Helen standing in the field, while I tell you this, and you'll get the picture.

Tripler
05-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Wow. . .

I stand. . .

. . . mystified. I thank you guys for the clarification on what a "hollaback girl" is in urban-speak, but I read kaylasdad99s cite, and man, am I hella-confused.

Tripler
A holler-back guy.

Meeko
05-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Gwen Spells "Bananas" in the middle of the song.

I heard this, and was like "This isn't even Weird AL!!!"

bouv
05-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Ha! #2 in Big Bad Voodoo Lou's link cracked me up!

La Llorona
05-14-2005, 02:16 AM
I was wondering this too...dreadful song, btw. I thought it meant a cheerleader because of the school themes--I believe there's a lyric about bleachers, principals, and (to rhyme!) student teachers, and she does spell out "bananas" in a cheerleader-esque fashion. Oh, and it does talk about pom-poms, and references Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust", which is a fairly common cheerleading song. (Google if you want the lyrics, of course...I'm afraid to link 'em here.)

I'd be completely prepared to believe the sexual meaning, though, too. Maybe it's both?

That woman...oy. Don't get me started on her desecration of my beloved "Fiddler"...

;j

Best Topics: oregano pronunciation italian broadway message board floor mounted urinal psych or sike church on wednesday oxiclean odor removal opposite of fever darkside has cookies red october theme commercial free tv blackbird x men diy chimney liner removing registration sticker new brakes hot schaumburg to chicago best makeup counter nurses giving blowjobs audiobooks while driving got junk rates slip showing eve height sword metals ibuprofen gel cvs superstore shoplifting 2 for flinching body shudders define fortnight katie morgan wiki grownass man cutting eyelashes camel filterless battle cry examples queen chess piece quotes toshiba external hard drive blue light what if i lied on my college application is chorizo sausage hot owed child support after 18 why does slitting a throat kill when does applebees kitchen close not showing up to an interview gas fireplace shuts off after a few minutes funny answer to what's up lyrics to la bamba in english detox drinks drug test walgreens pre marriage blood tests sucking little boys cocks punt on third down only letter not on the periodic table why do led christmas lights flicker activate wells fargo debit this video is no longer available due to a copyright claim pork chops and applesauce origin read xmen comic online body hair by ethnicity going into rem sleep immediately patron saint of the usa marine corps khaki uniform how do i post a message on facebook how much does it cost to get a dog declawed male male extension cords are water towers still used family guy season 8 episode 1 returning mail not at this address how to remove price stickers from books can cats eat olives what does ss stand for on boats george bush waves at stevie wonder