PDA

View Full Version : What is this Thing on my back? TMI

Hung Mung
06-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Alright, not too long ago my SO discovers a bump on my back. She asks me about it, I say I have no idea. She decides to squeeze it. Holy Crap.
This thing is one huge pus-pumping machine. When I reached around and felt of it that first time, the bump was HUGE. Now it's significantly smaller but it can grow large in a fairly short amount of time. The pus is thick (practically solid) and smells like raunchy ass. I you not, it literally smells like an ass. Lady Mung believes it's most likely an ingrown hair/infection type thing. I've never experienced it's like. Anyone know what the effin' hell this thing is?

Larry Mudd
06-07-2005, 02:05 AM
I you not, it literally smells like an ass.No shit?

Rich Mann
06-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Sounds like a sebaceous cyst. They can get infected real easy and real bad. Get it looked at.

They are clogged sweat glands. To avoid them shower thoroughly at least daily to remove skin oil and dirt.

Hung Mung
06-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Hmmmm...is it possible a home-backwaxing could be part of the cause? The good Lady Mung decided a while ago that my body-sweater was a bit out of control. Ingrown hair-turned slight infection-turned cyst?
Scheisse, I don't want to have my back hollowed out.

Rich Mann
06-07-2005, 02:32 AM
By the way, I forgot to add IANAD.

I think the waxing might have been the culprit. The first one I had was from thinking antiperspirant was close enough to deodorant. I walked around with my elbow in the air for a week while the thing pulsed with a life of its own in my underarm.

If it gets so bad that medical care is needed they might have to lance, drain, and pack it. Packing means a long thin piece of gauze soaked in antiseptic is stuffed in the hole and left hanging out a bit so it can't heal up with the gauze inside. Yeah, it feels as bad as it sounds. Worse, even.

My doctor advised me to put a hot pack (about as hot as you can stand) on them as soon as you feel one coming on so they will pop more or less by themselves while still small. This helps to avoid complications.

If you get one in or around your nose, panic!

Hung Mung
06-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Scheisse.

irishgirl
06-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Where is it? If it's down in the small of your back/top of your ass area we could be talking pilonidal sinus/cyst. http://nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9746.htm
That is not a fun thing.

Otherwise it's a sebaeceous cyst.
http://nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000842.htm

The smell isn't pus, it's rancid fat from the sebaceous oils that have built up within it.

Anyway, go to a doctor who can advise you on what exactly you're dealing with and whether it requires any surgical drainage or biopsy.

Imasquare
06-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Sounds like a sebaceous cyst. They can get infected real easy and real bad. Get it looked at.

They are clogged sweat glands. To avoid them shower thoroughly at least daily to remove skin oil and dirt.Yeah I have one on my leg. It has a crater wide enough to fit a match stick in and when sqeeezed it oozes thick white puss that smells like bad cheese.

You can have them surgically removed if it bothers you. In any case have it checked by a doctor just in case its something more sinister.

Lynn Bodoni
06-07-2005, 09:03 AM
If it gets so bad that medical care is needed they might have to lance, drain, and pack it. Packing means a long thin piece of gauze soaked in antiseptic is stuffed in the hole and left hanging out a bit so it can't heal up with the gauze inside. Yeah, it feels as bad as it sounds. Worse, even. I've had wounds packed, and really, the packing didn't feel bad. I didn't enjoy it, mind you, but I was mostly bothered by the pain of the infections. The packing felt a bit odd going in, and even odder coming out (I had to have my packing changed several times a day), but I wouldn't say that it really hurt or felt bad.

My husband and daughter got to change the packing. Neither of them enjoyed it in the slightest.

My husband had a pilonidal cyst once, and I got to change HIS packing a couple of times a day. Those things are nasty.

Personally, I'd start putting warm moist compresses on the lump, and see a doctor. The doc might decide to lance and drain it, or just give you a prescription for an antibiotic. It's always better to catch these things when they're small. Don't wait until they become the size of a grapefruit.

IANAD, etc.

Zebra
06-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I had something like this on my leg a while back. I had to have it lanced and drained. I don't want to scare you but 'lanced' means the doc takes a scaple and cuts you. So it's like being stabbed. But for me the thing was awful looking and I was glad I got to keep my foot, that is how bad it looked.

Now I have a scar that I'm able to pass off as a bullet wound.

See a doctor.

DeVena
06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Definitely have this taken care of before it gets worse. DeMom had one on her jaw and one on the back of her neck. She'd make me clean them periodically until I got married. Then she blamed DeHusband when they grew to golf ball size. (Evil husband, keeping me away from DeMom's ooky cyst thingies :rolleyes: ) She had both of them cut out - once they healed, she hasn't had any problems with them.

Have a doc look at it. What's the harm?

Dante
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
This is weird, cause I've had one on my back for about 20 years. Every month or so, I'll give it a squeeze, and a small amount of white, gelid nastiness will come out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's not red or inflamed, and doesn't get any bigger than your average decent pimple. Maybe I'll have the doc look at it the next time I'm in, now that I have read the scary links...

NurseCarmen
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I've had it. It's a sebnacious cyst, infected. I go preemptive now. Whenever I have even the slightest hint of a cyst, I go to the derm and get it cut out. Getting it cut out when it gets infected (And they all eventually will in my experience) results in a pretty big hole and the nasty shoelace gauze shoved inside of the pretty big hole. Getting it cut out before it's infected is a novacained slice and dice and a couple stitches. Far more pleasant.

Amazon Floozy Goddess
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
*slowly sets down container of yogurt*

...I lost my appetite.

NurseCarmen
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM

...I lost my appetite.That's what you get for buying ass flavored yogurt.

Daithi Lacha
06-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Not to scare you further, I had an ingrown hair that became cystic. However, it never opened up as a boil; it fermented below the skin under the influence of anaerobic bacteria. Bad Stuff.

Eventually, it blew like a little volcano, and the stench! It had all gone necrotic; I'm lucky I didn't lose my leg, as it was on my upper inner thigh, and fairly deep in. I had to go to the doctor every day for ten days as he cut away dead flesh, bit by bit. Had to rub a very expensive cream with silver in it to keep the wound super-sterile. :(

Go see a doctor.

Malacandra
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Okay, I believe we have a winner in the "Grossest Thread Of The Day" competition. :blegh:

::makes mental note to get his SC lanced while it's still uninfected::

ZipperJJ
06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Where is it? If it's down in the small of your back/top of your ass area we could be talking pilonidal sinus/cyst. http://nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9746.htm
That is not a fun thing.

Can a pilonidal cyst be squeezed? I had one most of my young life until I had it removed at the age of 17. Not fun to have surgery on your tailbone - especially when it's just having a big zit removed and no one cares :)

I vote for sebaceous cyst too. Like someone else said, hot packs are recommended (wet a washcloth, put it in the microwave for like 30 seconds, press onto cyst area).

I have had many of those in my life. One had to be surgically removed, it was pretty horrible - painful and smelly. Eeeew!

lisacurl
06-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Pulling archivist duty:

Favorite pimple stories (maybe TMI) (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=106449&highlight=Pimple)

Hung Mung
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Okay, I believe we have a winner in the "Grossest Thread Of The Day" competition. :blegh:

I'm so...proud... :dubious:

Hung Mung
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh, and thanks, kids, for the info. It all helped out a lot.

Daithi Lacha
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm so...proud... :dubious:
Oh, well done!

*slaps Hung Mung on back*

Oh, YUCK!!!!!!

Clothahump
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Oh, well done!

*slaps Hung Mung on back*

Oh, YUCK!!!!!!

I am now looking for a spoon to gouge my mind's eye out. I do not need that image! :eek:

Anne Neville
06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
I used to have one on my back. I popped it once, and got lots of blood and pus out of it. I don't remember it smelling particularly awful, but I do remember the huge amount of blood and pus.
It came back, but deeper, after I popped it- sebaceous cysts tend to do that if you don't get out all of the sac holding the gross stuff.

It was under the horizontal strap of most bras that I would wear (and I'm well-enough endowed that going braless isn't really an option). It would occasionally cause me to get pimples on or near it. but otherwise didn't bother me for a few years.

Then, for no apparent reason, it got infected. It hurt. It hurt when I wore a bra, it hurt when the covers rested on it (through my nightshirt) in bed. The doctors gave me antibiotics to try to get it to be less swollen and infected, and made an appointment later for a surgeon to remove it. By the time it was removed, it had shrunken to almost nothing, but I still had it removed to avoid a repeat. I have not had any pimples on my back since I had the cyst removed, two years ago.

When I told one of my friends, who was my boyfriend in high school, that I was getting a cyst removed from my back, he said "So that's what that thing you've always had on your back is". So it's possible you've had this cyst for a long time, but it has stayed small and you haven't noticed it until now. I had no idea I had it until I popped it (which was when I was in college).

Man With a Cat
06-07-2005, 03:15 PM

...I lost my appetite.

Ditto. I'm saving this thread for when I think I might want to eat. Anything. But most especially, anything like, oh lets say....custard?

Pullet
06-07-2005, 03:20 PM
PulletFiance has two of these on his back. They were about pingpong-ball sized and we never thought much of them until they started leaking. We're short on cash at the moment, and since periodic squeezing appears to keep them flat and happy, they'll probably stay put for now. Just wanted to chime in that, while surgical removal is a good goal, you might be able to get by with maintenace for now. Works for us, anyway.

Aguecheek
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Yup, I've had one right in the small of my back as well. The first time I asked a doctor about it, he told me it was a cyst, nothing to worry about. And then it got infected (http://boards.academicpursuits.us//sdmb/showthread.php?t=98803) and hurt like a sumbitch.

So of course I had it removed, and now I've got a rather large-sized divot in the small of my back. But it doesn't hurt, so it's all good.

Funny story about the removal - I've got a big tattoo on my back that incorporates the crest of my ancestral Scottish Clan. So I'm lying there on the table when the doctor asks what it was. "Oh, it's just my Clan crest," I say.

Silence in the OR.

Finally, one of the nurses, a very large black guy, quietly asks "...Klan?" "Yup! ...NO! Not 'K' clan, but 'C' clan! Old Scottish family! Nothing to do with white sheets!"

Everybody had a good yuck over that and another one after the doctor, who had a very stereotypical Jewish name, told me that if I hadn't qualified my remarks, he woulda left me a scar in the shape of a Star of David.

Cat Whisperer
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Let me just say that ping-pong ball-sized cysts are kind of abnormal. I got one of those big, deep ingrown hairs on my leg once, too. I must have done a good job of messing with it (and oh, my, don't they have a buttload of pus in them), because it seems to have gone away. For now. (I kinda want to put a BUWAAAHAAHAA after that.)

Anybody want my rice pudding?

FaerieBeth
06-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I am now looking for a spoon to gouge my mind's eye out. I do not need that image! :eek:

Might I suggest one of those serrated grapefruit spoons? Then loan it to me?

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Daithi Lacha
06-07-2005, 03:40 PM
My work here is done. :D

danceswithcats
06-07-2005, 04:27 PM
That's what you get for buying ass flavored yogurt.

[Announcer voice]Now with THREE TIMES as much ass as the next ass-flavored yogurt![/voice]

Miller
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Funny story about the removal - I've got a big tattoo on my back that incorporates the crest of my ancestral Scottish Clan. So I'm lying there on the table when the doctor asks what it was. "Oh, it's just my Clan crest," I say.

Silence in the OR.

Finally, one of the nurses, a very large black guy, quietly asks "...Klan?" "Yup! ...NO! Not 'K' clan, but 'C' clan! Old Scottish family! Nothing to do with white sheets!"

Heh. I have my clan crest tattooed on my shoulder. I've been expecting someone to make that mistake for years, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

Stranger On A Train
06-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Might I suggest one of those serrated grapefruit spoons? Then loan it to me?"I once took out a guy's appendix with a grapefruit spoon."

Stranger

FilmGeek
06-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I was gonna do the archivist thing, but lisacurl beat me to it.

Read that link, especially Broomstick's saga. Delicious!

Aguecheek
06-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Heh. I have my clan crest tattooed on my shoulder. I've been expecting someone to make that mistake for years, but it hasn't happened to me yet.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised it took that long. Mind you, I don't really go showing it off all that often - it's usually my wife that brings it up rather than me.

What Clan?

lisacurl
06-07-2005, 10:56 PM
I was gonna do the archivist thing, but lisacurl beat me to it.

Read that link, especially Broomstick's saga. Delicious!

It's my favorite SDMB thread ever!

Q.N. Jones
06-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Don't these things ever just heal without going to the doctor? I mean, if you're good about keeping it cleaned out, and maybe put a little antibiotic ointment on/in it?

irishgirl
06-08-2005, 04:03 AM
As someone already mentioned, there is a little sac under the skin. If it is not ENTIRELY removed it continues to secrete sebum and keratin, which continues to turn rancid, and which has a possibility of becoming infected. Unless you cover yourself in antiseptic gel every 20 minutes, it will eventually become infected.

There are only two options to permanently get rid of a sebaceous cyst.
1. Have it surgically excised.
2. Squeeze it so hard that ALL of the sac is extruded through the opening,then cut out the sac.

Otherwise it will keep recurring.

Both of these should be done my trained medical people with the correct equipment and in sterile surroundings.

Sebaceous cysts are NOT the same as ordinary pimples or boils, which will disappear once the pus has been allowed to drain.

so... DO go and get a proper medical opinion from your doctor, DON'T perform DIY surgery in the bathroom with tweezers and a needle!

Hung Mung
06-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Ok, fair enough. I showed it to Mother Mung tonight and she didn't seem all that impressed by it. Of course, she never saw it at full size. I've been squeezing it more or less daily and applying a hot rag in hopes it will come to a head. I've also applying Neosporin (though not entirely consistently), but that hasn't done much. Sigh.. I find it excellent that so many are...ah...interested in the pussing Thing on my back.
And Broomstick's anecdote was one of the most horrifying-yet-I-can't-take-my-eyes-off-it things I've ever read. Ever.
I don't find lancing, draining, and the packing of gauze very appetizing. I can't wait until the days of that Star Trek gadget with the glowing Duracell battery thing that cures everydamnthing in the universe.

Hung Mung
06-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Let me correct myself. UNappetizing. Yeesh.

Lynn Bodoni
06-08-2005, 04:32 AM
so... DO go and get a proper medical opinion from your doctor, DON'T perform DIY surgery in the bathroom with tweezers and a needle! YOU'RE no fun. What would I do for entertainment if I didn't take tweezers and a needle to my husband on a regular basis? He can't divorce me, nobody else knows where he's apt to get ingrown hairs and the occasional boil.

Susie Derkins
06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Ooh, my ex-boyfriend had one of these. It was a big lump on his back, and I caught him trying to squeeze it one day. I casually asked him if he wanted me to try (even though I was super excited, I love popping zits) and had him lay on the bed. I couldn't even find the pore at first, so I just started gently squeezing and holy hell! A long, thin line of cheesy stuff came shooting out, so much that it kept doubling up on itself and formed a little pile on his back. From then on I would clean it out every few days and put astringent on it. When it didn't seem to be going away, I took a sterilized needle and poked it, then gave it a couple of good squeezes until some hard white stuff came shooting out (I ducked). It went away after that. :(

BTW, I am not recommending the above procedure. I am not a professional zit popper, even though it would be like my dream job.

dare_devil007_
06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
It sounds like an infection to me. When I was in Europe last month, my left index finger got infected and it swelled up to about twice its normal size! And since the trip was musical missionary tour, we had to play almost every single day and I played violin! :eek: So, anyways, one of the teachers who used to be a nurse had to pop it and I swear, the pus was green. Like, NEON green. Like this smiley face's green: :p . So, anyways, after all the stuff came out, the swelling went down. But, I really think you should see a doc if it doesn't go away, but hopefully, it will.

lisacurl
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I am not a professional zit popper, even though it would be like my dream job.
Oh, god. You and me both. I might consider paying for the privilege.

GrizzRich
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Oh. My. Dear. God....

...it's started again.

<urp>

PapSett
06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Never thought I would be trotting this story out for all the world to see, but here it is .

Go figure .

I have a permanant ...large pore/pimple thing on my chest-bone might in the middle . It is not bothersome, and is not noticable unless you know it is there or are looking really, really close . :dubious: It will occasionally swell a bit, I know it needs squeezing, I squeeze, get out a small amount of white, cheesy stuff, and forget about it till next time .

Welllllllll.......... last Fall, it began to grow . And grow, and grow, and grow....it was puffed up to about an inch tall, as big around as a quarter . And how long did this take, you ask ? Days and days ? Nope, it happened overnight . I went to bed normal, and woke up with what almost looked like a third tit . I gave it a little squeeze, to see what would happen, and it was very hot to the touch . And something... weird and unexpected happened . I felt like internal... pop, like how a zit feels, but not on the surface, but INSIDE . Huh :confused: ?? I squeezed a little more, and the thing reduced in size some, and directly BELOW it, another began to rise, right before my eyes ! I could feel it .... whatever it was in my chest was roughly shaped like a dumbbell : the original one at the top, a path or trail less than 1'4 inch wide and maybe 1-1/2 inches long, leading to another hot, swollen lump under my skin . I decided to leave it alone for a while, but after a couple hours it was feeling really uncomfortable, not HURTNG really, but felt very tight . So back to the bathroom I went .

I gently squeezed the top one again, and this time it erupted like Mt. St. Helens, spewing forth a seemingly endless stream of pun, blood and that thick cheesy crap . I kid you not, it shot out and hit the mirror ! :eek: It seemed to drain out, but there was that bottom one, still mocking me, so I squeezed it, too .

Here's where it gets a little weird .

it began to empty, but not by popping like a zit . No, this baby began emptying back into the FIRST one . I kid you not, it was like squeezing a tube of toothpaste, you could SEE that little narrow pathway filling, the top one refilling, and once again spewing out . It was like pressing a button and having the ... stuff explode out . I was facinated by it, and completely drained it . Several hours later, it had refilled, not *as* full, but full enough for a repeat . This went on all day . By the next day, it was a little red and warm, but did not refill . Now, months later, I still have the mark of the top one, but it has never refilled .

Anyone top the sheer weirdness of this tale ?? :D

Amazon Floozy Goddess
06-08-2005, 12:38 PM
It's my favorite SDMB thread ever!
Yeah, that thread, so vile yet so irresistible, is the one that originally got me interested in the SDMB. :)

Cat Whisperer
06-08-2005, 01:02 PM
"So vile, yet so irresistible" - yup, that sums it up alright. Like, you want to faint from reading some of this stuff, and in your weakened condition, crawl back over to the computer and read some more.

PapSett, that is...there are no words. Ai-yi-yi.

Jeep's Phoenix
06-08-2005, 03:16 PM
PapSett, that's one of the best zit stories I've ever read. My zits are boring compared to this, although I can squeeze mine in such a way that they spray all over the bathroom mirror.

whiterabbit
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
I keep telling my sweetie that I'm not the only woman in the world who gets excited when her guy gets a back zit. And he gets lots of 'em. All kinds of squeezing fun for me!

Papsett, I bow to your greatness!

PapSett
06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Aw, gee, guys, t'weren't nothin' . Not like I PLANNED the damned thing, it was just an act of the Zit God . I guess .

BTW, do any of you guys' DOGS get those little cyst thingies that you can pop like a zit, and send copious amounts of white cheesy stuff gushing out ? My old dogs do ... well, the forst dgo I noticed one on wasn't old, she was a young Doberman, and I found a pea-sized lump on the loose skin of her flank, and when I squeezed it, that semi-solid crap squirted out . Didn't find another on any of the dogs for several years, and my old Gordon Setter, Corey, developed a marble-sized lump on a foreleg, had it for over a year, the vet assured me it was harmless . Then one day when I was grooming him, I knicked it with the clippers accidentially, and it was filled with the same stuff . It drained and drained and drained, I packed it with Neosporin, and it went away .

Now my 11 year old Gordon Setter Fancy gets them on occasion, I usually catch them when they are fairly small and pop them . She is the most ... prolific with them, has probably had a half dozen or more over the last year .

Jeep's Phoenix
06-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Aw, gee, guys, t'weren't nothin' . Not like I PLANNED the damned thing, it was just an act of the Zit God . I guess .

BTW, do any of you guys' DOGS get those little cyst thingies that you can pop like a zit, and send copious amounts of white cheesy stuff gushing out ? .
My dog, a golden retriever, had one of those on one of her back legs. She didn't mind having it squeezed. We eventually had it removed at the vet's; they determined that it was basically a hair follicle gone bad.

auRa
06-09-2005, 04:48 AM
My dog, a Standard Schnauzer, developed a lump on the back of her neck, close to one ear, about two years ago. It was soft and moved around under the skin, so we didn't really pay any attention to it, until it started to grow. Bea would constantly be sticking her neck out to be scratched, so I guess it was getting uncomfortable for her as well. I was scratching her behind the ears one day and my fingers happened upon the lump. I decided to feel it to see if it was harder, more compact etc., and gave it a gentle nudge. It promptly exploded all over my hand. The stuff was jet black, like ink. It kept streaming out of the rapidly-deflating lump like a small geysir. Bea looked significantly relieved. I jokingly remarked to my mom that we had found the black color gland (she's pepper-and-salt, i.e. black-and-white-banded hairs).

A few days later, the lump was back to its previous size. This time, it didn't even need nudging. I grazed it slightly while trimming Bea's ear hair and it exploded again. This time, though, the stuff inside had more of a pus-like quality and was a dirty gray color. I called the vet after that, and we had the lump removed. It turns out it was a benign tumor that had formed in and around one hair follicle. The black stuff the first time was probably liquified dog hair. Urgh.

Man, I love these kind of threads. *ashamed*

Kitchen Wench
06-09-2005, 06:53 AM
The black stuff the first time was probably liquified dog hair. Urgh.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!1111one

I love these threads, too.

Last week, I managed to pull something resembling a piece of orzo out of my inner thigh in the shower. Sadly, I couldn't relocated it for further squeezin'. :(

However, I'm thrilled to find The Volcano located on my pubic mound about once a year. Ingrown hair, with a hard plug... Followed by much thick, white goo. Squee!

That's all I got. BRING MORE ZIT STORIES! I must squeeze vicariously through my fellow Dopers.

GrizzRich
06-09-2005, 09:21 AM
I think....I'm going....To VOMIT....

<urp>

catsix
06-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Yeah, but this one time, my dad got barred from performing surgery on himself at home because he removed.....

Four inches of vein from his own leg. He felt a string, so he pulled and pulled till it all came out. Then had to go to the doctor because the bleeding would not stop. The doctor confirmed that the 'string' was a vein, cause dadsix saved it in a baggie to show the doctor. I think he was proud of it.

Shodan
06-09-2005, 09:41 AM
What the hell is it about women and zit popping? Sometimes I can't take my shirt off in the presence of the Lovely and Talented Mrs. Shodan unless I am willing to undergo examination and, if necessary, treatment. And she looks forward to the treatment especially. Even the part where I am howling in agony as she applies the rubbing alcohol.

Freud asked, "what does a woman want?" I bet he never suspected...

Regards,
Shodan

silenus
06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Has anyone forwarded this thread to Coldfire? He used to love them so much! :D

Q.N. Jones
06-09-2005, 10:08 AM
OK, a non-zit story but a disgusting dermatological phenomenon:

My mom has these weird bumps on her back. They look like moles or freckles, but they're not. They're a build-up of sebacious gunk. The condition has a name, like "sebaciou keratosis," or something, but I don't remember.

Anyway, it looks disgusting, but they can be removed at home with no bleeding or mess. The problem is, even the most vigorous scrub with a back loofah doesn't get them. The only way to do it is to scrape 'em off with a fingernail or similar scrape-y instrument.

Mom won't ask Dad to do it because he makes her feel bad by raving about how disgusting it is. So, she recently asked me to do it. I'm not one of those females who likes picking zits. I have a strong stomach, but man--it was churning as I scraped those suckers off her back. It's like picking waxy scabs.

Do any of you zit-lovers live in the Des Moines area? My mom would probably pay you to help her out. :) just kidding

lisacurl
06-09-2005, 06:52 PM
What the hell is it about women and zit popping? Sometimes I can't take my shirt off in the presence of the Lovely and Talented Mrs. Shodan unless I am willing to undergo examination and, if necessary, treatment. And she looks forward to the treatment especially. Even the part where I am howling in agony as she applies the rubbing alcohol.
Ask her to switch to witch hazel. Still antiseptic, but doesn't burn.

Interesting article on the phenomenon at Salon... (day pass required probably to view it)...

In grossness and in health: Psycho-dermatology, female gorillas, and why women love to pick their boyfriends' zits. (http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature/2003/08/11/grooming/)

Mirror Image egamI rorriM
06-09-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but this one time, my dad got barred from performing surgery on himself at home because he removed.....

Four inches of vein from his own leg. He felt a string, so he pulled and pulled till it all came out. Then had to go to the doctor because the bleeding would not stop. The doctor confirmed that the 'string' was a vein, cause dadsix saved it in a baggie to show the doctor. I think he was proud of it.

Holy holy crap. That just boggles the mind.

silenus
06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
From Lisacurl's cite:

"Skin blemishes are in the same family of horrific, embarrassing things, like peeing with the door open, that you can only go through with an intimate partner," he says, adding that although he loves it when a girlfriend picks at him, "it's nowhere near as satisfying as getting at it yourself."

:D

catsix
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Mirror Image said:
Holy holy crap. That just boggles the mind.

The thing that boggles my mind the most was that the doctor didn't get all excited or anything. He just fixed up dad's leg after ascertaining that he didn't really need that piece of vein anyway, and said 'No more surgery. I revoke your medical license.'

Since then, dadsix has limited his home OR to the fixing of ingrown toenails and removal of splinters.

whiterabbit
06-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Some of those women quoted could have been me, though I've never interrupted foreplay to get at a zit.

I always assumed it was some sort of grooming instinct. Apparently I was right!

lisacurl
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I've tried to explain to Mr. Lisa that it's beyond just compulsive... lizard-brain motivation, if you will. He calls me "monkey mama" when I insist on picking.

Best Topics: willed ignorance why chopsticks kindergarten talent show cf. abbreviation altoids addiction pernod vs absinthe quiet electric motor alison stern remarried noir song substitute nutmeg asl rhyme garmin updates cost firefly cowboy bebop ezekial 23 20 adhesive duck deficiency coleman 425c friendly wagers asshole prolapse chayote taste poisoned rat men vs dog diopters magnification pursuit security system block telepathy lsd overdose symptoms the doctorbill.com ic message board pulling someone up police interceptor badge are trilobites extinct basilisk image a person that how to wash a crocheted blanket what does mellow yellow mean how to pee on command how long is cheesecake good for stopped up ears and ringing thick clear wood finish bleaching teeth with clorox ball-peen hammer old fashioned pull chain toilet how to help a cat lose weight with multiple cats how tall is 30 feet furnace blower starts then stops does nearsightedness improve with age american flag and french flag red lobster alcoholic drink prices why am i not thirsty what metal can withstand the most heat when do you stop being a kid how did astronauts survive the moon temperature dead winged termites in house ziploc bags in microwave diarrhea after eating too much final claus cookie clicker can you talk about a case after jury duty song with i dream of jeannie beat my girlfriend has a guy friend should i be worried heres to swimmin with bow legged women kirkland american vodka review coloring book artist jobs how many movers do i need a historian mostly works to oil drain plug stuck infinite grid of resistors occupation on tax return is there glass in chewing tobacco pretty face ugly body