PDA

View Full Version : A Disturbing T-shirt.

Daithi Lacha
07-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Was out grocery shopping a little while ago, and saw a t-shirt that really raised my hackles. I'm a non-confrontational person, so I didn't ask the guy what kind of statement he was trying to send about himself or his politics, but it just kind of gave me the willies. With large letters superimposed over a screen of a mushroom cloud, the shirt read:

MADE IN AMERICA

TESTED IN JAPAN

NEXT STOP: AFGHANISTAN!

Isn't there enough aggro in the world without that type of ham-handed warhawk posturing? I didn't feel strongly enough about it to start a Pit thread, but I thought I'd share, nonetheless.

D

Mr. Blue Sky
07-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm sure his "Kill Everybody, Let God Sort Them Out" shirt was in the laundry.

trupa
07-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Along with his "Peace through superior firepower" shirt showing the view through a rifle scope, with the reticule in the shape of a peace sign.

-trupa, who used to hang out with guys like that when he was young & foolish.

silenus
07-03-2005, 01:18 AM

Please....the correct phrasing is "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out." :D

Marley23
07-03-2005, 01:20 AM
With large letters superimposed over a screen of a mushroom cloud, the shirt read:

MADE IN AMERICA

TESTED IN JAPAN

NEXT STOP: AFGHANISTAN!
I suppose it could be ironic. I'd have thought that a guy wearing this shirt would feel like a complete tool, since the war there is over [you know what I mean] and clearly nobody is being nuked. It'd be like wearing an anti-Noriega or Khomeini shirt at this point.

Cat Whisperer
07-03-2005, 01:26 AM
Well, looking on the bright side, at least he's advertising his idiocy.

treis
07-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Honestly, doesn't he know the bomb was tested in New Mexico?

Liz
07-03-2005, 03:18 AM
C'mon, you think he even knows there's such a place as New Mexico?

Daithi Lacha
07-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Aw, that's great! Now I wish I was a confrontational soul ... armed with a laptop, a wireless connection, access to a wifi network and a time machine.

Didn't even occur to me! :smack:

cabdude
07-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Yeah, but why stop there? I say, kill everybody, then yourself. It's the only way to achieve world peace.

cabdude
07-03-2005, 10:31 AM
And it should be 'let Og sort them out.'

alterego
07-03-2005, 10:36 AM
When I was at the Olympics this last year I saw a guy whose t-shirt said, "I lost my business in 9/11 and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

danceswithcats
07-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Inasmuch as you wouldn't wish your right to espouse peace and diplomatic solutions abridged, don't you think he's entitled to show his preference for the scorched earth method? Ya know-First Amendment, and such.

Revtim
07-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Inasmuch as you wouldn't wish your right to espouse peace and diplomatic solutions abridged, don't you think he's entitled to show his preference for the scorched earth method? Ya know-First Amendment, and such.Why does this always come up, even when nobody even remotely hinted that his shirt should be against the law?

danceswithcats
07-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Why does this always come up, even when nobody even remotely hinted that his shirt should be against the law?

Reread the OP. The message communicated by the shirt was obviously quite upsetting. In my previous post, no one was accused of attempting to ban the shirt-my post was intended to convey a different viewpoint.

Cartooniverse
07-03-2005, 12:04 PM

Someone told him once that they tested the A-Bomb on Bikini Atoll and every time he sees a full-bodied gal on the beach walking by, he commemorates the event by yelling " BOMBS AWAY !! "

Appears this jerk has a wee bit too much testosterone running through his cammo's......

Larry Borgia
07-03-2005, 12:49 PM
C'mon, you think he even knows there's such a place as New Mexico?

There's a New Mexico now? :confused:

:D

mobo85
07-03-2005, 03:19 PM
It'd be like wearing an anti-Noriega or Khomeini shirt at this point.

But an anti-Khomeini shirt works on any ayatollah. Ayatollah Nakhbadeh, Ayatollah Zahedi. Even as we speak, Ayatollah Razmada and his cadre of fanatics are consolidating their power!

Helen's Eidolon
07-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I can't believe anyone would wear a shirt like that without irony.

Driver8
07-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Reread the OP. The message communicated by the shirt was obviously quite upsetting. In my previous post, no one was accused of attempting to ban the shirt-my post was intended to convey a different viewpoint.

I've reread the OP, and I still don't have a clue what you're trying to say, both here and in your previous post.

Revtim
07-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Me too, I kinda gave up on it.

42fish
07-03-2005, 07:51 PM
But an anti-Khomeini shirt works on any ayatollah. Ayatollah Nakhbadeh, Ayatollah Zahedi. Even as we speak, Ayatollah Razmada and his cadre of fanatics are consolidating their power!

I believe it's the "Ayatollah Assahola" t-shirt that works for any ayatollah.

AskNott
07-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Ayatollah Razmada? I think I've stayed in a couple of his hotels.

mobo85
07-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I believe it's the "Ayatollah Assahola" t-shirt that works for any ayatollah.

You've got a point there. Well, I guess my Khomeni shirt ain't gonna sell, then. Anyone interested in a jacket reading "Disco Stu?" It was supposed to say "Disco Stud," but I ran out of room.

pinkfreud
07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Some people choose their T-shirts for shock value.

A friend's daughter used to date a young man who wore shirts with dreadful things on them. Pictures of concentration camp victims, for instance. Messages such as Ted Bundy Is My Hero and Timothy McVeigh Died for Your Sins. Obviously, the point was to get a rise out of people who had an iota of taste.

DiosaBellissima
07-03-2005, 09:22 PM
There's a New Mexico now? :confused:

:D

Of course! And you know what else? It's a whole lot cleaner then old Mexico. DUH! :wally

Daithi Lacha
07-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Some people choose their T-shirts for shock value.

A friend's daughter used to date a young man who wore shirts with dreadful things on them. Pictures of concentration camp victims, for instance. Messages such as Ted Bundy Is My Hero and Timothy McVeigh Died for Your Sins. Obviously, the point was to get a rise out of people who had an iota of taste.
Fair enough; those easily could be identified as being worn for the shock value or (tasteless, IMO) ironic sentiment.
The gentleman wearing the t-shirt in question did not seem like the sort who would a don shirt from your examples though; he was middle aged, pasty, and had an enormous drooping beer-belly. I recognize the fact that I'm judging a book by it's cover, yes, but the whole picture told a larger story: in Publix at 9:30 at night, buying only beer, and the shirt was faded, stained and had a hole in it. Obviously a "favorite shirt," well worn.

carnivorousplant
07-03-2005, 11:53 PM

A post that makes it worth plowing through the posts in this thread, but not subscribing to...dammit.

Thanata360
07-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Agreed.

fubbleskag
07-04-2005, 02:03 PM
maybe he gets a kickback from al gore every time someone is offended enough by his t-shirt to post about it on the internet.

Kythereia
07-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Third what LaurAnge says.

Of course, the only way to find out what he thinks about his T-shirt is to go up and ask him...

inkleberry
07-04-2005, 03:11 PM

And that happens to be my official stance on Hayward, CA and Worcester, MA. :D

Helen's Eidolon
07-04-2005, 05:41 PM
A post that makes it worth plowing through the posts in this thread, but not subscribing to...dammit.
Thanks... I think?

carnivorousplant
07-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks... I think?

Indeed, Sir. My attempt at humor pales by yours.
:)

Wolfian
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
You've got a point there. Well, I guess my Khomeni shirt ain't gonna sell, then. Anyone interested in a jacket reading "Disco Stu?" It was supposed to say "Disco Stud," but I ran out of room.
Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

Classic. That entire episode is gold.

RandMcnally
07-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Of course! And you know what else? It's a whole lot cleaner then old Mexico. DUH! :wally

No, not really...

tomndebb
07-04-2005, 11:19 PM
Rand? I think there might have been a little whoosh there.

Menocchio
07-04-2005, 11:27 PM
And that happens to be my official stance on Hayward, CA and Worcester, MA. :D

:gulp:

David Simmons
07-04-2005, 11:33 PM
I suppose it could be ironic. I'd have thought that a guy wearing this shirt would feel like a complete tool, since the war there is over [you know what I mean] and clearly nobody is being nuked. It'd be like wearing an anti-Noriega or Khomeini shirt at this point.It certainly could be ironic. I once saw a big poster in a Marine Captain's office in the Pentagon during the Vietnam war. It read, more or less, "Join the Marines. Get superb training. Travel to foreign countries. Meet many interesting people. And kill them."

carnivorousplant
07-05-2005, 08:25 AM
It read, more or less, "Join the Marines. Get superb training. Travel to foreign countries. Meet many interesting people. And kill them."

Hey, I saw a young female recruiter for the US Army wearing a T-Shirt with "Marines" replaced by "Army", of course.

Mycroft Holmes
07-05-2005, 08:54 AM
It'd be like wearing an anti-Noriega or Khomeini shirt at this point.

Hey, I still proudly wear my "Surf Libya" shirt (it has a picture of Khaddafi on a longboard being chased by a cruise missile). Our senior high-school class made these in '86.

asterion
07-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Rand? I think there might have been a little whoosh there.
Probably not. He lives about five miles south of me, according to his location. (Depends on where he is in on-base housing, of course.)

Anne Neville
07-05-2005, 12:26 PM
It certainly could be ironic. I once saw a big poster in a Marine Captain's office in the Pentagon during the Vietnam war. It read, more or less, "Join the Marines. Get superb training. Travel to foreign countries. Meet many interesting people. And kill them."

I have a T-shirt with a picture of Darth Vader on it that says "I WANT YOU for the Imperial Forces. Travel to exotic, distant galaxies, meet a wretched hive of scum and villainy, and disintegrate them."

Daithi Lacha
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm bumping this thread because I actually have something pertinent to add to it. For Christmas this past year, I gave my wife a page-a-day calendar that features a different bullshit political quote every day. Today's quote:
You should draw a mushroom cloud and put underneath it, 'Made in America by lazy and illiterate Americans and tested in Japan.'
Hollings is a former Senator from South Carolina, and he made this statement when addressing factory workers in 1992. So I guess this answers my question of who would come up with such an idea: an elected official! Of course!

NajaNivea
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Along these lines, I have seen three times, on three different (!) pickups in the last week a sticker that says, charmingly:
My other toy has tits (_)(_).

Complete with line drawing and all. The only thing in my entire life that has made me (briefly, and not seriously) consider an act of road-rage. Actually, what I really want to know is who has sex with that guy after seeing that sticker?

wheelie
09-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Way back, once upon a time, I worked at a bicycle shop and we sold t-shirts that said "Nuke 'em till they glow and shoot 'em in the dark". In glow-in-the-dark letters. With skulls. Yes, glow-in-the-dark skulls. Skate punks really know how to raise people's hackles. :D

Elendil's Heir
10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
That's right up there with the c. 1980 bumper sticker, "Nuke the gay Iranian whales."

Or, more recently, the T-shirt that showed a squadron of F-117s on the tarmac along with the words, "Can Osama come out and play?"

carnivorousplant
10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
That's right up there with the c. 1980 bumper sticker, "Nuke the gay Iranian whales."

Or, more recently, the T-shirt that showed a squadron of F-117s on the tarmac along with the words, "Can Osama come out and play?"

For a while my sig at work was

Save the snakeheads.
Nuke the whales.

Humor. It is a difficult concept. :)

Revtim
10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Daithi Lacha, was this at that fancy-ass Publix by where you live? Think this guy had his car valet parked?

msmith537
10-03-2005, 02:46 PM
I just want to know where to buy this (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~karno/phil/tryandstopus.jpg) shirt.

Scott Plaid
10-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I typed that into google as a lark. Lo and behold (http://cafepress.com/wackyneighbor.4854815).

Best Topics: mack worley appeal zipcar keys mentally retarded animals pizza bones pie hole origin ingrish com sudafed expired oozemaster 3.5 manis the orangutan layer cake ending iggy pop height splicing cords is scambaiting illegal svengali card deck dumb as de beers music define vapors respiratory therapist stethoscope cephalexin chlamydia giant jawbreakers niggardly define creative mp3 jet li matrix long dagger make like a habanero juice rock hoover dynabead review jumping crab does dulcolax work mohawk limburger cheese spread does drano unclog toilets cheapest way to ship large packages internationally wax for candy making motel 6 smoking rooms when did the last slave die cut my legs off and call me shorty in law relationships chart why does bill clinton look so old ver mussen die juden white men african women can you take naproxen and hydrocodone at the same time songs with angels in it just lunch dating service reviews concorde curvature of the earth sticking out tongue meaning how to tell when blue cheese is bad florsheim vs cole haan sheetrock weight per sheet can't breathe through mouth don't stick it in crazy what is kp in the army dog eating pine cones different brand tires front and rear swords used in the civil war what does a zero with a line through it mean in math nutritional value of grass why i oughta three stooges 1800 got junk average pricing how much are custom orthotics terbinafine hcl vs clotrimazole working 1 day a week a&r man bit my tongue how to heal do native american tribes still exist mommy's alright daddy's alright song