PDA

View Full Version : Besides Coke, what goes with whiskey?

Hung Mung
07-18-2005, 01:50 AM
A friend of mine bought me a handle of Crown Royal as a thank-you for watching his family's house while in California. Apparently alcohol is taxed far less in Cali.
But I need to find something to mix with this excellent whiskey. I try to avoid sodas as much as possible, so there goes it's primary partner.
You guys have any suggestions? Right now I'm drinking it straight on the rocks. Good, but I'm not grizzled enough for it yet.

Queen Bruin
07-18-2005, 01:56 AM
More whiskey. Or whisky, as the case may be.

Gorgonzola
07-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Water (liquid, frozen).

Hung Mung
07-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Yeah...I've more or less got those bases covered. ;)
Anybody got a NOVEL idea?

DoctorJ
07-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Mix with ice, give it a little shake. If your whiskey is not good enough to drink like this, go get better whiskey (though Crown is certainly OK).

If you must mix it, some people like whiskey sours, but I think the combination of flavors is just exactly wrong.

Johnny L.A.
07-18-2005, 02:07 AM
More whiskey. Or whisky, as the case may be.
You know... I came into this thread specifically so that I could type 'More whiskey!' and what's the first reply?

Queen Bruin
07-18-2005, 02:16 AM
You know... I came into this thread specifically so that I could type 'More whiskey!' and what's the first reply?
Sorry 'bout that, but it was seriously the first thing that crossed my mind. . . :D

As for NOVEL ideas, here's a site with whiskey drinks (http://drinkstreet.com/category.cgi?category=30). I'm partial to mint juleps, myself -- but I make it with the Official Disney Mint Julep recipe, then add whiskey.

silenus
07-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Good whiskey needs nothing. Maybe a little water. No ice....ever. Bad whiskey needs to be poured out.

Mint juleps are good on a hot day.

buttonjockey308
07-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Actually, soda water (or even tonic) isn't a bad whiskey companion, nor is ginger ale or lemonade. Crown, however is best served straight up in a glass tumbler, and sipped.

Hung Mung
07-18-2005, 02:41 AM
What I have learned is that I am simply not as grizzled as I should be. I've grown too used to beer (and, in fact, consider myself something of an amateur connisieur). I used to be able to drink whiskey straight and now I cringe. I think I've found my project for the summer! Whiskey tasting! :D

Hung Mung
07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Also, I don't know how to spell connoisseur.

Ashes, Ashes
07-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Right now my opinion is 'nothing' but I have to do some research first.

Good whiskey needs nothing. Maybe a little water. No ice....ever. Bad whiskey needs to be poured out.

Mint juleps are good on a hot day.
Okay mister, you're the one convinced me to buy my first bottle of Laphroiag (10-- they were out of the others dammit) which was the first scotch I'd ever had as well. So I know nothing except the water opens up the flavor a bit, but I prefer it neat. What will ice do? In food, cold can make a flavor less intense, does it do the same to add ice to whiskey? Why would you want to taste less of a drink by diluting it or damping the flavor (if that's what ice does)?

Hmmmm? Tell me, tell me, tell me

I feel like some sort of feral child, raised in the wild by brutish tee-totalers. I can no longer fight my compulsion to walk upright and clothe myself in garments made from small purple velvet bags stamped 'Crown Royal.'

parthenokinesis
07-18-2005, 03:38 AM
No one has mentioned tea yet? Ok, I'll do it. Try mixing it with Iced tea. It's thirst quenching.

silenus
07-18-2005, 03:46 AM
Right now my opinion is 'nothing' but I have to do some research first.

>snip>

I feel like some sort of feral child, raised in the wild by brutish tee-totalers. I can no longer fight my compulsion to walk upright and clothe myself in garments made from small purple velvet bags stamped 'Crown Royal.'

Ice kills the flavors. If whiskey is too cold, there is no nose, no aromatics. A little water can help the nose. It gets all the flavors going. Just a small splash. Good water, please. If you use heavily-chlorinated tap water, you will kill the flavor. If you have good tap water, then use it.

Personally, I prefer to drink my whiskeys neat. But the ones who know (like Booker Noe, etc.) say add a small amount of water.

AshesX2, if you like Islay malts, try Talisker. It's from Skye, and isn't as "mediciney" as Islay. ery intense, though. My favorite mid-inter dram. :D

devilsknew
07-18-2005, 03:57 AM
Start here at Whischocsky (http://freedrinkrecipes.com/cocktails-drinks--recipes-w4.html) for some ideas.

(A Whischocsky is a shot of Crown Royal mixed with Chocolate milk, sounds pretty good actually.)

Hung Mung
07-18-2005, 04:09 AM
Oooh...this has gotten somewhat interesting. So, for those in the know, can you start recommending whiskeys you like? I don't know Talisker. In fact, my knowledge of 'good' whiskeys is very limited. Mayhaps I should start a new thread about whiskey suggestions.

Hung Mung
07-18-2005, 04:20 AM
Also, on the suggestions I've received I'm mixing my whiskey with bottled water (as it's superior to the tap). I think this has produced a better flavor and much less nasty smell. What about ginger ale?

Ashes, Ashes
07-18-2005, 04:52 AM
I knew it! Only I didn't know I knew it. I tried a weensy bit of water and that was good. Next time I slipped and used too much and it was awful. HM, bottled water sometimes has a strong chemical flavor. Maybe one of those water filter pitchers instead?

Funny thing about the Laphroiag silenus, is that sometimes it tastes just perfect with the smokey peat balancing the iodine. Other times the iodine is stronger and I may or may not like it that way. So of course, the only solution is to pour a bit more and continue my studies. Purely for comparison purposes, there may be some Talisker finding it's way into my shopping cart...

Tomcat
07-18-2005, 04:52 AM
I like whiskey:

Neat
With 1 ice cube
In coffee
In lemonade
With soda
With cola
With a good cigar

-Tcat

Walker in Eternity
07-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Try ginger ale (Canada dry or similar), with ice, it's great.

Of course as said above mixers are only usually required with blended whiskey, neat good quality single malts usually are smooth enough to drink on the rocks with no other additives. The exception IMHO is JD which mixes excellently with coka cola.

lee
07-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Sweet vermouth and a dash of bitters

I really like Manhattans.

PookahMacPhellimey
07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
This is out of season now, but should the bottle still be lingering in the autumn or should you - heaven forfend - come down with a cold then make hot whiskey (whiskey plus hot water, slice of lemon in which you stick cloves and honey or sugar). Many Irish people will claim this is the cure to practically anything.

Uncommon Sense
07-18-2005, 08:21 AM
What I have learned is that I am simply not as grizzled as I should be. I've grown too used to beer (and, in fact, consider myself something of an amateur connisieur). I used to be able to drink whiskey straight and now I cringe. I think I've found my project for the summer! Whiskey tasting! :D

You need to drink it slow. You probably used to do shots of whiskey, or drink it to get drunk. Whiskey must be enjoyed slowly. I prefer to drink Crown or Jack on the rocks. Fill galss all the way to the top with ice, then add whiskey to about the 3/4 level. Mix, then let sit for a few minutes. When I drink it I like to let it warm a little in my mouth before I swallow it. I don't gulp it down either, I'll take a few little swallows untill the mouthful is gone. It seems like evey little swallow has a different taste, probably because it's warming up in my mouth and the natural flavor of the spirits comes out a little.
Don't mix the good stuff with anything other than water. Save that for the $10 bottles.

Ravenman
07-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Don't forget the cousin of the mint julep, the old fashioned. In my view, this drink is the best way to test if someone is a "real" bartender.

My recipe: Mix about 3 teaspoons of sugar with an equal amount of water. Two dashes of bitters. Muddle orange slice. Add two fingers of whiskey -- preferably bourbon -- four ice cubes, and another dash of water if it is too strong. Add a cherry if you're fruity like that.

Adding club soda instead of water (as every bad bartender does) turns this drink horrible.

Revtim
07-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I started a thread about whiskey with cream soda, and took a lot of flack.

I think the flavors complement each other quite well, though. Try it before you pass judgement.

grimpixie
07-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Irish Coffee

1 tot (25ml or so) of Irish Whiskey
1 teaspoon of sugar (or to taste)
1 desertspoon of double cream (whipped cream can be used, but I don't like it...)
Hot strong coffee to fill the glass

Pre-warm a stemmed glass.
Add the whiskey.
Add the sugar and stir in the coffee.
Float the cream on top of the coffee (pour over the back of a spoon to prevent mixing).
Drink the coffee through the cream (i.e. do not stir after adding the cream).

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

Grim

Johnny L.A.
07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
No one has mentioned tea yet? Ok, I'll do it. Try mixing it with Iced tea. It's thirst quenching.
I drink tea in the afternoons when I remember to. (I'll go through phases where I'll have a couple of pots every day, and then go a while without.) A few of months ago a friend was over and I made some Earl Grey tea. He's not a tea-drinker, but deiced to try it. (He put sugar in it, which I don't do with Earl Grey.) He saw a bottle of whiskey and wondered how it would taste in his sweetened tea. He said it was good. I had a sip, and it actually was rather good. But I'm not much of a drinker, so I haven't made a cup for myself. And if I'm drinking tea, then I'm really not in the mood for alcohol.

PookahMacPhellimey
07-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Irish Coffee

Great plan altogether! How did I miss that one? :smack:

Pookah (who is almost literally within spitting distance of the birthplace of Irish Coffee)

lno
07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Oooh...this has gotten somewhat interesting. So, for those in the know, can you start recommending whiskeys you like? I don't know Talisker. In fact, my knowledge of 'good' whiskeys is very limited. Mayhaps I should start a new thread about whiskey suggestions.One of those crops up every six months or so.

The most important thing in whisky (or whiskey, depending on what precisely you're talking about) tasting, in my opinion, is trying a very wide variety and keeping notes. Write down what you smell, what you taste, what the whisky makes you think about. Jot down any other comments (e.g. "This would be a perfect follow-up to a steak!") and keep tasting. I would recommend avoiding other people's recommendations of high-end bottles until you've identified what your preferences are, and whether that bottle would match your preferences, or allow you to explore something new, or be something that you absolutely will not drink. Of course, 'high-end' depends on your liquor budget...

If you enjoyed Laphroaig, I would also recommend Talisker, and two other Islay malts -- Lagavulin and Ardbeg. They've got similar characteristics to Laphroaig and would be a good first step to exploring the differences.

Stranger On A Train
07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Irish Coffee

1 tot (25ml or so) of Irish Whiskey
1 teaspoon of sugar (or to taste)
1 desertspoon of double cream (whipped cream can be used, but I don't like it...)
Hot strong coffee to fill the glass

Pre-warm a stemmed glass.
Add the whiskey.
Add the sugar and stir in the coffee.
Float the cream on top of the coffee (pour over the back of a spoon to prevent mixing).
Drink the coffee through the cream (i.e. do not stir after adding the cream).The recipe is correct as far as it goes, but the cream should be heavy cream, slightly whipped (tough to do for a single serving). Canned whipped cream is far to aeriated for Irish Coffee. I've noticed now that most places pour some kind of Irish cream liquor (like Irish Mist or Baileys) into coffee and call it Irish Coffee. Wrong! That is Bailey's & Coffee, or Mist & Coffee. They're fine drinks, but they're not Irish Coffee.

Personally, I think a tot of Jameson in a cup of steaming coffee is loverly (with a splash of carmel syrup for those who are inclined to sweetness). And a hot toddy (whiskey, lemon, and hot water) or breakfast tea, lemon, and whiskey are dandy for a sore throat or a conjested head.

I don't understand this desire to mix whiskey with fizzy drinks (soda, creme soda, cola, et cetera.) Neat, or with a splash of water is appropriate.

Irish whiskey should never be served on the rocks. I shudder at the horror of it.

Stranger

Jackknifed Juggernaut
07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm now a regular Johnnie Walker Black Label drinker. Mostly, I drink it on the rocks (I know, I know, but I'm not an originalist). But sometimes, I drink it with Perrier and ice. Mighty fine drink. Try it.

Cat Jones
07-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Ginger Wine (http://thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=193) to make the best winter warmer ever - Whisky Mac.

(Extremely simple recipe (http://drinksmixer.com/drink4997.html) )

Johnny L.A.
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm now a regular Johnnie Walker Black Label drinker.
I bought my mom and her husband Johnnie Walker Blue a couple of Christmases in a row. They never opened one bottle. My sister is holding it for me until I can get down there to get it.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
07-18-2005, 10:48 AM
I bought my mom and her husband Johnnie Walker Blue a couple of Christmases in a row. They never opened one bottle. My sister is holding it for me until I can get down there to get it.

I've only tried Blue Label once. I was at a hotel bar, and this rich show-off decided to buy everyone in the bar a shot of Blue Label. At $22 a pop, this guy was either very wealthy or very drunk. The girl I was with didn't want hers, so I got 2 shots. Unfortunately, since we had to drink them in shot form, I couldn't really savor the flavor. But I can tell that you're a good son. I hope mine does the same for me in about 20 years.

Johnny L.A.
07-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, since we had to drink them in shot form, I couldn't really savor the flavor.
Tell me you weren't expected to toss it back in one gulp! :eek:

Jurph
07-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Good whiskey1 goes well with good cranberry juice (http://knudsenjuices.com/products/juicesprod.asp?prodid=215&groupid=8&catid=54)2. Something that retains a little of the tartness of the cranberries is best; I prefer Knudsen's, linked above, which is available at Whole Foods and other "high-end" grocery stores. I like it served about 3:1 or even 4:1 in a highball, mildly chilled (cold juice, room temp whiskey). White cranberry has a different flavor and is also good, and is also whiskey-colored -- so men, you can drink it at a poker table without taking too much crap.

1. I use Jameson's 1780, their second-tier offering, which is more mellow than Jameson. Jameson Gold, their "best", just doesn't taste very good to me.
2. If you are using Ocean Spray Light Sugar-Free Cranberry Juice Drink, then you are not giving whiskey-and-cranberry a fair shake. If it's got Splenda or Nutra-Sweet, don't mix it with alcohol.

FriarTed
07-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Coke belongs with rum, not whisky IMO.

But Sprite or a similar lemon-lime soda? Ahhhhhh!

fubbleskag
07-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Start here at Whischocsky (http://freedrinkrecipes.com/cocktails-drinks--recipes-w4.html) for some ideas.

(A Whischocsky is a shot of Crown Royal mixed with Chocolate milk, sounds pretty good actually.)
i wasn't aware this had a name, but i was going to suggest whiskey & milk, plain and chocolate.

i am constantly amazed by the growing list of things that taste good with milk.

silenus
07-18-2005, 01:43 PM
:D Oooh...this has gotten somewhat interesting. So, for those in the know, can you start recommending whiskeys you like? I don't know Talisker. In fact, my knowledge of 'good' whiskeys is very limited. Mayhaps I should start a new thread about whiskey suggestions.

Definately start a thread....they are very interesting to read. To give you an idea, our liquor cabinet currently holds the following whisk(e)y, in various states of depletion:

Glen Rothes 1989
Cragganmore 1984 - Distiller's Edition
Highland Park 18
Edradour 19 - Signatory
Glenlivet 22 - Signatory
Talisker 10
GlenGoyne 17
Glenfiddich 12
The Macallan - Cask Strength
Highland Park 20 - Cooper's Choice
Tomatin 12
Glenfarclas 10
Bowmore 17
Glenmorangie 12 - Port Wood
Mortlach 12 - Murray McDavid
McDuff 27
Linkwood 12 - Murray McDavid
Beam Rye - 8
Elija Craig 8
Elmer T. Lee - 12
Pappy Van Winkle - 15
Pappy Van Winkle - 12
Old Rip Van Winkle - 10
Old Weller Antique - 12 (the world's best bourbon!)
Knob Creek - 8
W.L. Weller Centennial - 10
Jefferson's Reserve - 10
The empties of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 and Rare Breed, which got emptied last night.

When you only have a dram or two in the evening, it takes time to go through a bottle. Most of the bottles above are at least 50% depleted.

Remember, people! Whiskey is for drinking, not collecting! If you never open the bottle, you have insulted everybody involved with the production of that wonderful liquid.

L'chaim! :D

Jackknifed Juggernaut
07-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Tell me you weren't expected to toss it back in one gulp! :eek:

Yep. The dude that was buying made that the rule. I expected to be able to shoot the first one and then savor the 2nd (the shot that the girl gave to me). But the dude forced me to shoot that one too. He was really pissed that girl wouldn't do the shot and had given it to me instead. On a side note, this guy was just a total punk. He probably just received his first bonus of his life and blew it all that night. He kept on telling everyone how much the shots cost. Kind of the like the guy at my gym who, in every conversation with a female, drops in the fact that he owns a $70K Porsche (but neglects to mention the fact that daddy bought it for him).

Nunavut Boy
07-18-2005, 02:11 PM
I didn't know that Crown Royal was good enough to drink on it's own! I thought it was kind of a middling whiskey almost good enough to drink neat, but not quite. 'Course, I don't know too much about whiskey, just that CR and coke is really, really good mixed about 1/2 and 1/2.

Padeye
07-18-2005, 06:23 PM
[Pat Travers]Snortin' whiskey, drinkin' cocaine...[/PT]
Oh, you meant Coke™. Personally I've always preferred 7-up with my whiskey, bouron and preferably Jim Beam.

pulykamell
07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
If I'm drinking a mid- or low-grade scotch or other type of whiskey, I like it with club soda (aka seltzer/soda water) and some ice. I don't like my whiskey with anything sweet. I think scotch & soda is fine when you want something on a hot day that's cold and fizzy, but not sweet.

gouda
07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Whiskey and Kahlua on the rocks, with a splash of coke if you want... excellent.

AskNott
07-19-2005, 12:55 PM
What goes with whiskey?

Wild, wild women! :p

AskNott
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Have you tried a palindrome?

Crown Royal and Royal Crown (cola).

Greathouse
07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
I really thought the only way to drink whiskey was in a shot or with coke. Just throw the glass back and slam that shot down. It never occured to me to sip it. It doesn't really sound appealing. Maybe I'm just using cheap whiskey.

What is the difference between whiskey and bourbon? I've got some Maker's Mark at home that I sometimes mix with coke, but I usually just shoot it. It has a pretty good taste to it.

Omniscient
07-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I didn't know that Crown Royal was good enough to drink on it's own! I thought it was kind of a middling whiskey almost good enough to drink neat, but not quite. 'Course, I don't know too much about whiskey, just that CR and coke is really, really good mixed about 1/2 and 1/2.

I tend to agree, Crown isn't anything to write home about. Better than Beam, but mostly just good packaging and branding. Of course, this doesn't mean that it can't be drank on it's own.

Beware of Doug
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
What goes with whiskey?

Wild, wild women! :pThat's WHUSKEY, not whiskey! And don't fergit the cigareets.

Pookah (who is almost literally within spitting distance of the birthplace of Irish Coffee)Probably the best drink ever invented in an airport. Maybe the only one.

Is it true that in the 1950s, after Irish Coffee caught on in San Francisco, that city consumed more Irish whiskey than the rest of the country put together? And what were the Irish drinking in New York? Rye?

Best Topics: al anon alternatives throw a shoe mechanic rate nitroglycerine dynamite rosarito mexico safety empty fortune cookies joshing definition shanna hoarders developing dyslexia metabolite diet pills causation examples satellite transponder directv whoopsy daisy chorizo casing piter dune tivo lifetime hack themonastery.org reviews sean murray voice chocolate lyrics meaning punta meaning slang lithium abuse lieutenant ripley my girlfriend thong mailbox flag up kirk green onion editorial cartoon german jawline ham and motherfuckers goldstein 1984 define grundle maladolescenza nude is it illegal to give someone your prescription drugs guys with veiny arms how to tell if white powder is a drug thank you for smoking novel best smelling laundry detergent 2013 how many vhs tapes will fit on a dvd can ibuprofen help you sleep leave harness on dog land animals maintain their blood salt concentrations by drinking seawater. where can i get a battery for my key fob does usps leave packages outside is overtime taxed at a higher rate how to build corrugated metal fence transfer directv dvr recordings la bamba english lyrics ant smells when crushed how do i eat a guava best skateboard for 7 year old cleaning ears makes me cough is title insurance a scam do defense lawyers know the truth how many psi does it take to break a bone where to buy bread machine mix is tylenol good for toothaches where to shoot self in head do wireless routers wear out force of a punch in newtons computer not finding printer can i use my dish as an antenna particle board with holes transmission fluid shelf life another word for boyfriend