PDA

View Full Version : Another British pronunciation question.

wolfman
08-12-2005, 09:46 PM
More ignorance fighting needed.
I havn't seen it for a while, But James bond's fake last name in A View to a kill is always said as 'Sinjin Smythe". But later Walken looks him up on a computer and his name comes up as 'Saint John Smith'(I think, but I havn't seen in in a while it could be 'St. John')

That's one I never ran across before. Is Saint(or St.) John commonly called sinjin? Is it just a variation that some families with the name use? Are other Saint names similarly contracted? is Susan St. James called 'Susan Sinjum' over there?

Sarah Woodruff
08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
There's a character in Jane Eyre with the name of St James, and my English Lit lecturer, and every adaptation I've seen of the novel, called him "Sinjin".

ouryL
08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
More ignorance fighting needed.
I havn't seen it for a while, But James bond's fake last name in A View to a kill is always said as 'Sinjin Smythe". But later Walken looks him up on a computer and his name comes up as 'Saint John Smith'(I think, but I havn't seen in in a while it could be 'St. John')

That's one I never ran across before. Is Saint(or St.) John commonly called sinjin? Is it just a variation that some families with the name use? Are other Saint names similarly contracted? is Susan St. James called 'Susan Sinjum' over there?

This was also a joke. St. John Smythe was a well-known pseudonym for the Saint. :p

Sarah Woodruff
08-12-2005, 09:51 PM
There's a character in Jane Eyre with the name of St James, and my English Lit lecturer, and every adaptation I've seen of the novel, called him "Sinjin".
:smack: Actually it was St John - so "Sinjun."

GorillaMan
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Yep, "St John" as a surname is pronounced that way. The confusion this causes also crops up in Four Weddings and a Funeral (the name's uncommon enough cause many Brits problems, too).

Iguana Boy
08-12-2005, 10:35 PM
And don't forget St. John (Sinjin) Hawke (Stringfellow's brother) from Airwolf!

Not as classy as Jane Eyre, I know. Sorry....

RealityChuck
08-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Not to mention St. John Quincy from OK Crackerby (http://imdb.com/title/tt0058834/) (pronounced "sinjin quinzy").

Cunctator
08-13-2005, 03:16 AM
And Norman St John-Stevas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_St_John-Stevas,_Baron_St_John_of_Fawsley) (ennobled as Baron St John of Fawsley), the well-known British author, barrister and member of Parliament.

irishgirl
08-13-2005, 05:08 AM
It's one of those names like Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) or Cholmondeley (Chumley).

Just say Sinjun and don't worry about it.

seosamh
08-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Same sort of thing - when she was a young girl in Co. Laois (Ireland) in the 1930's, my mother knew an Anglo woman whose name was St Leger - pronounced "Sellinjer".

Cugel
08-13-2005, 07:35 AM
St. John Polevaulter (http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Scripts/TheContradictionSketch)

Bytegeist
08-13-2005, 02:11 PM
It's one of those names like Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) or Cholmondeley (Chumley).

Or, "Alexander Luxury Yacht".

Staggerlee
08-15-2005, 05:06 AM

Just say Sinjun and don't worry about it.
These could be said to be examples of a 'shibboleth', the correct pronunciation of which confers a higher class status on the user.

av8rmike
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Or, "Alexander Luxury Yacht".
Raymond Luxury Yacht?

Bytegeist
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Raymond Luxury Yacht?
Damn, you're right, now that I check it. Don't know why I remembered "Alexander".

Thanks.

Best Topics: tussin trip reese nutrageous victoria wieck biography american parasite geodesic homes problems westminister chime plunger walmart milk fart checks memo line angel illyria mangani apes animal eats human renaissance portraits borgia vitriol candelabra 100w led reverse darwinism tit rate teddy babe maple tree transplant doritos cost kisses with lipstick huh huh haaa fingertips hurt removing concrete walkway atten hut five oh rts mail edible thongs police albums ranked hipaa spouse mosin nagant serial number tracker numbness top of foot is that you john wayne is this me quote does being cold make you pee more natural source of glucosamine meth eth prop but pent what happens when you miss your vein shooting up five and dime store volvo wedding commercial song the fall of the house of usher incest why does pus smell lord of the flies parachutist quotes pom glasses for sale leia and jabba the hutt how to cut brake lines are the great lakes freshwater or saltwater what does 10 fold mean olive oil for grilled cheese easy chocolate fondue recipe without cream what temperature does water boil in denver selling contents of home is iceland apart of europe can you start an automatic car in neutral don t drop the soap are traffic violations criminal offenses kids wearing diapers in public telecheck denial code 2 dorian gray book cover florida water for cooling off replace garbage disposal splash guard why are government workers so lazy