PDA

View Full Version : How much is my "gold" quarter worth?

Tio Gringo
01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I have a year 2000, South Carolina state quarter that I received in change some years ago. It is a normal quarter in every respect, except that it is golden colored. The color looks exactly like the Sac-a-I-don't-know-how-to spell-it-wea "golden" dollar.

I have done numerous searches online, but have found no information.

Is is coin an error? Is it rare? Is it valuable? What is it worth (other than 25 cents, of course)?

Thanks in advance to all the Doper coin collectors out there.

snorlax
01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Whart did you search for? In google I typed in "south carolina gold quarter" and found one on the first hit (http://allensinc.com/coins/gift_items/state_quarter_gift_items/south_carolina.htm).

These guys are selling them for $2.59.

Tio Gringo
01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Whart did you search for? In google I typed in "south carolina gold quarter" and found one on the first hit (http://allensinc.com/coins/gift_items/state_quarter_gift_items/south_carolina.htm).

These guys are selling them for $2.59.

Those are gold plated quarters, i.e. someone put a plating of 24K gold on it. And yes, I have found lots and lots of those.

What I have is merely gold colored, like the "golden" dollar.

Sigene
01-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Say.....

It wouldn't be one of the ones I make every now and again, would it?

Is there a little triangular "notch" toward the edge that looks a little different?

Usually, if I'm sloppy, I'll leave it there, but sometimes if I'm careful, I can make them pretty nicely without the "notch."

Tio Gringo
01-20-2006, 05:20 PM
No notches or any obvious blemishes are visible to the naked eye.

jawdirk
01-20-2006, 05:33 PM
What I have is merely gold colored, like the "golden" dollar.

Just don't put it in your mouth.

samclem
01-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Sice you don't think you have a gold plated quarter, try using a liquid silver cleaner on it. If the "golden color" comes off, it was just tarnish.

Tio Gringo
01-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Sice you don't think you have a gold plated quarter, try using a liquid silver cleaner on it. If the "golden color" comes off, it was just tarnish.

I will try that. However, it does not look like tarnish: The color is even in hue, both front and back, not splotchy.

It looks as if a quarter got the Sacajawea treatment at the mint.

I will try to take a decent photo of it and post it here in the next day or so.

Diceman
01-20-2006, 06:25 PM
If it does turn out to be a mistake, then the coin might well be valuable to a collector.

WarmNPrickly
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
How are you sure that this coin is not gold plated? Having done this to many coins, I can tell you it looks quite solid. What does it weigh relative to a normal quarter?

Best Topics: persians beverly hills crappy motels pig boats submarine ants cornmeal bibasilar pneumonia fuck the gre the chippendiddys baby boomer santa barchetta ferrari aspirin and coke definition punta stretchy shirt material behind ears stink plutonium price mv bumper sticker linda hunt dune doan back pills xanax and grapefruit hoyt pollard c4 explosice chills flu throat cramping plastic toilets chandlers middle name chips vs fries allegra overdose oglaf friendship shylock definition nathan fillion jerk non nickel belts baba o'riley movie styptic pens venturi effect vs bernoulli how much is art garfunkel worth fly infestation in apartment is overtime pay taxed at a higher rate air duct filter housing to play an instrument in spanish force required to break bone meaning of toss my salad how to take the back off a timex watch swallow piece of glass etorphine effects on humans where did the money go during the great depression is new york in new england how much does the average chicken breast weigh american history x rape dryer balls consumer reports owning land in mexico extracting iron from blood the rats in the walls hp lovecraft lowes pressure treated wood how to quit a retail job on short notice ears feel full and ringing madden 6 legged turkey how to restore corian countertop what is the owner of an llc called medium rare pot roast temp what does 3u mean in baseball scoring why do lasers look grainy how much does a teener weigh my laptop can't find my printer how many 20 oz in a 2 liter mary jane vs bit o honey how to distill alcohol without a still tina fey ever been nude non tangle phone cord how to repair pvc pipe without cutting