PDA

View Full Version : What's with the tee shirt OVER the long sleeve shirt?

deevee
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I realise that it's every generation's responsibility to do something that appears stupid to the preceeding one but what the hell is up with this fad? Where I work, the temperature varies depending on time of day and physical exertion. That's why I wear a tee then a long sleeve over it. When my body temp starts to rise, I remove the long sleeve shirt and am cooler in the tee beneath. This short to long order seems to work well for everyone 25 and over. Those under the age of 25 reverse it and sweat all day. Whatever. At least this generation keeps their pants pulled up.

Amp
02-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Have you already started standing on your front porch yelling at the damn kids to get off your lawn?

even sven
02-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I do it all the time.

Mostly I have a good collection of tee-shirts that I like. This method allows me to wear them all season. Instead of buying a whole new winter wardrobe, I can wear cheap by-the-pack thermals or the long-sleeved tee shirts/henleys that come with my pajamas and put my favorite tee shirts on over it.

It's a lot harder to find attractive and well-fitted long sleeved shirts. I have a long waist and so too much of one thing on top makes me look unbalanced. The tee-shirt sleeves thing breaks up the sillohette. It also allows more flexibility in my wardrobe- wearing my favorite orange polo shirt on top of a pink long-sleeved is a completely different look than wearing it over my black-and-white stripey shirt. It can be fun to make new combinations. When I'm staying someplace overnight, often I can get away with just packing an etra overshirt.

Finally, something about it feels less restricted when I'm doing a lot of layering. Theres less of a chance that the lowest shirt will bind underneath or that the sleeves will get pushed up in wierd positions. Trust me, there is no chance that in Feburary I'll want to be anyplace with bare arms.

eleanorigby
02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
This was in fashion in the '70's and I did it then. Now, I would feel like a doofus doing this, so I don't. I am 43.

Some shirts (and body types) look good this way, others do not.

Fern Forest
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
I remember this from the 80s. Will it go round in circles?

I think they like it because it creates stripes in otherwise solid color objects. There's a girl I see every now and then that looks particularly cute in her black tee with bright pink sleeves.

When I purchase shirts (I don't advertise so my choices are limited) I prefer those where the colors come in broad stripes. For instance where everything below the nipples is white but everything above is blue. I think it looks more interesting. I don't particularly like close stripes though. Broad colors.

mrald
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
I thought this is how the kids today looked hip!

Damn, now I have to return all those non tour "cool band" shirts to Hot Hopic! :D

How will I ever fit in!?

Wesley Clark
02-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I realise that it's every generation's responsibility to do something At least this generation keeps their pants pulled up.

You'd like to believe that wouldn't you? Just wait until the headband craze hits your town.

Hello Again
02-19-2006, 09:02 PM
It was popular in the 80s and I happen to find it darn cute to this day (I am 30). Perhaps because the sk8r boys I stared longingly at in my ill-spent "good girl" youth dressed like this. :) If I had to find a justification for the practice it is that the long-sleeved shirt is plain and boring, which the short-sleeve has the cool design/message/Rush concert t image.

Queen Bruin
02-19-2006, 09:23 PM
I remember this from the 80s. Will it go round in circles?

It never stopped. We wore this in the early and mid 90s as well.

jabiru
02-19-2006, 11:02 PM
This was in fashion in the '70's and I did it then. Now, I would feel like a doofus doing this, so I don't. I am 43.

Yeh, I remember that. I never did the look, though. I thought it was for people who were cold but couldn't afford a coat. :smack: Mind you, I never was the Dedicated Follower of Fashion.

Maastricht
02-20-2006, 01:38 AM
I like the look.

Plus, for some reason long sleeved t-shirts often have a wider neck then shortsleeved ones. If there's anything I hate, it's seeing the edge of one t-shirt crumpled up crooked under the other. Less chance of that if the short-sleeved tee is the top one.

Did you know the layered T-shirt (http://otto.nl/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Otto-OttoNL-Site/nl_NL/-/EUR/ONL_DisplayProductInformation-ProductRef;sid=EcrKLPSyoPXELLdLcvr6DO8eLEZ[email protected]Otto-OttoNL&ls=&SearchDetail=1&SearchDetail=one&stype=E&Orengelet.sortPipelet.sortResultSetSize=15&Orengelet.SimCategorize4OttoMsPipelet.Similarity_Parameter=&Orengelet.sortPipelet.sortCursorPosition=0&Query_Text=layer-shirt) an be bought as one nowadays? With fake sewn-in sleeves?

Miss Mapp
02-20-2006, 07:35 AM
I remember doing this in Jr. High in the late '70's. In those bygone days, you could even buy matching T-shirt/longshirt sets; I had ones in blue and green, with the Ts in velour.

FlyingRamenMonster
02-20-2006, 08:35 AM
If it makes you feel any better, they are now making long-sleeved shirts that LOOK like there's a t-shirt over them :p

iwakura43
02-20-2006, 09:06 AM
I have some nice t-shirts that I wear over a mock neck, partly so I can wear them in more seasons, partly because there's a nice color contrast, and mostly so I don't have to wash them as much--the screen printing tends to fade from too many washes, so I want to avoid that.

cactus waltz
02-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I've always connected this fashion with Kurt Cobain's look in the video for "Smells like teen age spirit" (http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9425/slts7su.jpg). For me, the fasion has the same kind of logic that go with baggy pants: it's not really that good-looking, but it's very comfortable. And seeing somebody who displays their comfort openly makes you feel that the person is secure and satisfied with life.

Or having a laundry day.

flodnak
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Did you know the layered T-shirt (http://otto.nl/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Otto-OttoNL-Site/nl_NL/-/EUR/ONL_DisplayProductInformation-ProductRef;sid=EcrKLPSyoPXELLdLcvr6DO8eLEZ[email protected]Otto-OttoNL&ls=&SearchDetail=1&SearchDetail=one&stype=E&Orengelet.sortPipelet.sortResultSetSize=15&Orengelet.SimCategorize4OttoMsPipelet.Similarity_Parameter=&Orengelet.sortPipelet.sortCursorPosition=0&Query_Text=layer-shirt) an be bought as one nowadays? With fake sewn-in sleeves?That's the part that disturbs me, for some odd reason. The layered look, okay, been there done that looked like an idiot back then too, but somehow the pre-made layered look is just plain weird to me. I don't pretend this makes any sense.

My kids both have several fake-layered shirts. I just grin and bear it, and count my grey hairs. For truly I grow old.

The Big Cheese
02-20-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't mind it, it's the shorts over sweatpants that you see some runners wearing that makes me raise an eyebrow to. Weird.

even sven
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't mind it, it's the shorts over sweatpants that you see some runners wearing that makes me raise an eyebrow to. Weird.

Naw. It's so you can still have pockets.

Megyn
02-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I've always connected this fashion with Kurt Cobain's look in the video for "Smells like teen age spirit" (http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9425/slts7su.jpg). For me, the fasion has the same kind of logic that go with baggy pants: it's not really that good-looking, but it's very comfortable. And seeing somebody who displays their comfort openly makes you feel that the person is secure and satisfied with life.

Or having a laundry day.

I am ashamed to say that I giggled at the irony of "Kurt Cobain" and "secure and satisfied with life" being used in the same paragraph.

Despite that, I agree with you, 100%. There is an appeal to the look because it appears comfortable, and always has. I'm by no means prudish when critiquing someone's dress, but I still find the t-shirt over the long sleeves classier, more practical and more comfortable looking than the young ladies at the mall with their thongs sticking out from behind their hip huggers. :P

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I do it with polo shirts too, as even sven says.

dangermom
02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
I've seen dickies for sale too! I'd never seen them in my life before, but now they're back.

Angel of the Lord
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I do this all the time! I don't really like my arms, so that's a big part of it. Also, most of my t-shirts are black; I'll use an undershirt (which is often a turtleneck) to break things up a bit, and add some color to the mix. Plus, it keeps me warm :).

deevee
02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Have you already started standing on your front porch yelling at the damn kids to get off your lawn?

As soon as I posted this I started laughing to (at?) myself because I had the very same thought. For the record, the kids find me quite groovy.

deevee
02-20-2006, 05:45 PM
I am ashamed to say that I giggled at the irony of "Kurt Cobain" and "secure and satisfied with life" being used in the same paragraph. (snip)
. I'm by no means prudish when critiquing someone's dress, P

I love(d) Kurt but his dress (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://t-shirtking.com/graphics/142-00202.jpg&imgrefurl=http://1st-shirts-and-shoes.com/tshirts/142-00202.html&h=344&w=349&sz=32&tbnid=ZI4RhAqKXZshOM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=116&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkurt%2Bcobain%2Bdress%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG) is a disaster.

Wesley Clark please please please tell me you're kidding about the headbands.

FilmGeek
02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I was at a concert this weekend (NIN!) \m/ and I was quite pleased to see this look coming back into fashion. It's very comfortable, and you can still show off your neato t-shirts in winter. As I'm moving to the pacific northwest this summer, I plan on dressing 'grunge' pretty much every day. I like to live in the last century. Maybe I can get a fashion revival going.

monstro
02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
I wear the combo frequently, but moreso when I do field work (which is just about every day nowadays).

My reasons? Because I desire covered arms when I'm working under the sun, but a lot of my long-sleeved t-shirts are either real skimpy (because they are actually one of those sheer pajama tops) or they don't cover my back/front as completely as I wish they did (would it kill manufacturers to make shirts for women that don't stop at your belly button?) An "over" shirt rectifies both of these problems. Also, my arms tend to get very dirty after a long day's of work, while everything else is relatively clean. This means I can throw the long-sleeve shirt in the laundry bin but re-wear the short-sleeved t-shirt a couple more times (especially since the "under" shirt soaks up any sweat). I hate doing laundry, so this is a big help.

Like even sven, I also like the color combinations you can create. Today it was an orange short-sleeve over a light blue long-sleeve. Sometimes it's purple or blue over gray or yellow. My coworkers always talk about how cool my field wardrobe is, and I'm sure the fishes and alligators I bump into agree.

SmackFu
02-20-2006, 06:28 PM
The beauty of this is that it gives you the flexibility to change to just the short-sleeve t-shirt if you get too hot, while giving you the chance to strip down and show off your ripped abs in the process.

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup
02-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Preppy kids are now wearing (and I wish I were making this up, but I am not) t-shirts over collared semi-dress shirts.

A guy in my class had a Princeton (University) short-sleeved t on over a longsleeved, collared, button-up shirt.

And he's not the only one.

T-shirt beneath longsleeve, I can see. I wear it myself. But this... you must be kidding me.

And Megyn, please, please tell me you were playing an out-of-touch oldster as a character in your post. "Smells like teen-age spirit?" :dubious:

myskepticsight
02-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I purchased a long sleeve white tee this winter because it was only 9 dollars and it allows me to wear my huge tee shirt collection in the winter. And since I wear both fitted, it looks sort of cute, I guess. It's cold here. This look can look messy but if done right I like it. Well as long as the two shirts match.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
02-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I realise that it's every generation's responsibility to do something that appears stupid to the preceeding one .

Sometimes the succeeding generation is just as bemused. A thing I never understood, but used to see aroun 1970, was wearing running shorts outside your sweatpants.

PinkNailFile
02-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Because the bottom shirt's see-through. I do it all the time.

ayalabmaj
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Preppy kids are now wearing (and I wish I were making this up, but I am not) t-shirts over collared semi-dress shirts.
Yeah, I do that. I can't really explain why. Maybe it has the benefit of dressing down the collared shirt and dressing up the t-shirt? Finding a half way point, you know? It's a bit classier than the standard t-shirt over long sleeves look, but it's still casual. A collared shirt is a bit formal by itself.

Oh, also, I'm really skinny, and if I wear a t-shirt or a sweater over a semi-dress shirt it makes it look a bit less like a tent. A sweater is more sensible, of course, but sometimes its not that cold.

msmith537
02-20-2006, 11:21 PM
I was at a concert this weekend (NIN!) \m/ and I was quite pleased to see this look coming back into fashion. It's very comfortable, and you can still show off your neato t-shirts in winter. As I'm moving to the pacific northwest this summer, I plan on dressing 'grunge' pretty much every day. I like to live in the last century. Maybe I can get a fashion revival going.

BINGO!!!

This look is a throwback to 90s frat-boy grunge culture (which is a throwback to 70s culture). The emphasis is on your Nirvana or Delta Tau Delta T-shirt. The plain long sleeve waffle-T underneath is just there to provide added warmth. It also has the benefit of hanging on you better as it doesn't make you look like you stuffed your shirt with T-shirts to look bigger.

A preppy variation is to wear a long sleave T under a polo shirt - Usually Ralph Lauran, A&F or Lacoste.

Hedda Rosa
02-21-2006, 12:07 AM
I do this all the time. I like my T-shirts but it is too cold to wear them alone right now. Plus in a solid-colored long sleeved T-shirt I look dumpy. But with the short-sleeved shirt over it I just look slimmer. A little trompe l'oeil or something.

Oh, I'm 34 and never did this as a teen; only the very coolest boys in my high school did and I was neither cool nor a boy. Still am neither now that I mention it....

Walloon
02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Let's wear our underwear over our pants. I Just Like the Look.

Maastricht
02-21-2006, 03:06 AM
I have noticed that wearing more clothes at the same time is a general trend from the last 10 years. When I started out buying clothes, you'd wear one top (blouse, shirt, sweater), and one bottom (skirt, trouser). Simple, clear. If you wanted to be chic you'd wear something with a collar under the top.

Nowadays you're expected to layer yourself silly. If you don't wear at least three matching tank-tops and two intricate layered semi-transparent vests/shirts on top of those, all at the same time, you're dressing square.

From under my tinfoil hat I say: it's all a conspiracy to make us buy more clothes. :mad:

zoogirl
02-21-2006, 03:30 AM
I do this for work. Our good zoo shirts, the ones we wear for presentations, are polo style. In the winter they're just too cold, especially if you're standing in a fridgid gym or carting cages in and out of buildings. I wear a plain black longsleeved tee under the light tan zoo shirt. It's just practical.

Azadeh
02-21-2006, 03:39 AM
Let's wear our underwear over our pants. I Just Like the Look.

you mean like superheroes?

Argent Towers
02-21-2006, 03:44 AM
I think this look is good because you can make any t-shirt you have suitable for colder weather just by wearing a plain white long-sleeve shirt underneath it. The colors don't clash, and if you have a nice t-shirt that you don't want to stop wearing just because it's a little colder, you can just do this.

I actually own a T-shirt that came with long white sleeves sewn underneath the sleeves and a small white collar sewn underneath the T-shirt's collar (basically so it looks like you have a long-sleeve shirt on underneath, but you only have the sleeves.) This gives you the benefit of the long sleeves without the possible discomfort of another shirt shifting around underneath, or unneccesary added warmth. It's one of my favorite shirts - here's a picture of me wearing it. (http://portfolio.iu.edu/akentisa/newpic3.JPG)

There are a lot of these kinds of shirts that you can buy at The Buckle or PacSun - they realized that a lot of people combine long and short sleeved shirts, so they removed a step and just made T-shirts with long sleeves underneath. The thing is, I always roll up the sleeves.

SusanStoHelit
02-21-2006, 10:10 PM

"Revival" would imply that the style had ever been dead here.

Best Topics: quake lan earthlink scientology flesh crayon infant toga ansie aschenbach smoke caffeine pills uhaul upack opening a brothel renaming a cat derrick ray sunshine movie ending reddit areola beef turned brown feces smearing fart bacteria leopard gecko smell h2ocean spray cvs trucker light signals wax wood staffs patriotism is bad muzzle for pugs pidgeon poison intelligent forums herpes reddit i80 tolls dasiy chain rhymes dirty jab archive winterland ballroom saline water cvs peo international org gestapo ss 5string bass tuning dog cavity cost russian flash mob what is a turret on a house natalie merchant verdi cries what to say to parents of a sick child can you leave a cat alone for a week amtrak business class benefits learning how to weld how to heal a bitten tongue is media studies a good degree band aid rash pictures will splinters come out on their own dog howling at the moon dump truck company names on birth control late period how much sugar is in bacardi rum report bad drivers to dmv when you look into the abyss washer fabric softener dispenser best way to clean a thermos why do doctors say clear when using a defibrillator lemon tree lyrics meaning drinking bottles of wine how to stop receiving mail from previous owner when does itching stop after lice treatment septic cleaner rid x equal sign bumper stickers how to stop a tank how to take a screen off a window security clearance polygraph questions i don't care it's going up his ass funny check memo notes nancy (comic strip) what does a gunshot smell like how many songs will fit on a cd how much does it cost to fix a car window that won't roll up