PDA

View Full Version : Who are these women that buy these hideous tops from the QVC "Quacker Factory"

astro
04-08-2006, 01:37 AM
So the TV sound is off and the text is scrolling by and QVC is playing, and I'm too comfortable in front of the PC to search for the remote control. Two ladies are pimping these hideous spangled tops for something called the "Quacker Factory (http://quackerfactory.com/index.html)". They look like some shapeless 10 dollar Walmart trailer style tops and dresses that someone has been torturing with a glue gun, and a tackle box full of spangles and appliques, and selling for 40 + bucks a pop.

Who buys this crap? The sizes go from XS to up to 3X, but most of the models seem to be on the heavy side. Is this Big Woman clothing? Is this what heavy grannies are supposed to wear?

alice_in_wonderland
04-08-2006, 02:03 AM
I have no explanation. None, whatsoever.

CanvasShoes
04-08-2006, 02:43 AM
You had the sound down? Darn, Quacker Factory is a rather interesting look into a strange Hari Krishna like cult.

They even have their own secret greeting (well, not really secret), they go "quack quack" when they recognize someone else wearing a Quacker Factory "original". If you see one of those shows where they have a studio audience, they all have little quackers, they're like a quacking version of a Kazoo.

From what I've seen, they're designed for heavy women. They're mostly tunics and stretch waisted pants or skirts. So even on a small or medium woman, they'd look pretty shapeless. I guess all the fancy doodads all over them are supposed to help heavier women feel more fashionable.

I guess it's more fun than wearing black and navy all of the time. I think some of the designs are cute. .. for decorating, (I sometimes get craft ideas from their sweaters :D). Please, if I give up like that, just shoot me.

Green Cymbeline
04-08-2006, 03:09 AM
Wow, those are hideously hideous. It's mind boggling that this "fashion" has a cult following. I am in disbelief that people buy and wear those monstrosities.

Green Bean
04-08-2006, 04:18 AM
Aaaaagh! The goggles! They do nothing!

(Always wanted to say that. heh.)

This is horrible, but the first thing I thought when I saw those clothes was "yeah, and I'll bet you wonder why your husband lusts after his secretary." Good gravy are those ugly.

The ladies who wear those things are probably the same ones who have their entire kitchen decorated in matching strawberry-themed merchandise from the Fingerhut catalog.

I guess all the fancy doodads all over them are supposed to help heavier women feel more fashionable.I think you're probably right. Of course, there's nothing even one bit fashionable about those clothes, but lots of people out there are really incredibly clueless about fashion.

And what's the deal with rhinestones on casual clothes, anyway? I was at Marshall's (my first mistake) looking for some "business casual" type clothes for work. There were all these perfectly reasonable clothes that were polluted by rhinestones and sequins and bugle beads and various other embellishments more appropriate for a black-tie event. I'd feel like Queen Dorko wearing rhinestones at 11am on a Tuesday.

Ice Wolf
04-08-2006, 04:58 AM
I'm a big person -- but I don't like the colours, and certainly not the flashy sewn-ons. Bit of a pain that this is the kind of thing in fashion now for us. *sigh*

Shasta
04-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Go into any clothing store and into the plus sized section and look at the potato sacks hanging there. If it empowers women and they want to wear bright colors and spangles, more power to them! Life is a celebration of who we are and clothing is one way of shouting it out to the world.

Plus sized women are still in this day and age are given little choice when it comes to clothing.

As a very tall woman even I have a heck of a time finding clothing to fit. It has been a struggle all my life. At 6 ft. tall and 155# I wear a size 16 jean. Does that make me plus size? According to clothing manufacturers and the powers that be, yes.

Shasta

MizGrand
04-08-2006, 08:17 AM
OMG does Fingerhut still exist? Nothing quite like paying 30% more than a product is suggested at and then paying $4.36 a month forever!

UntouchedTakeaway
04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Go into any clothing store and into the plus sized section and look at the potato sacks hanging there. If it empowers women and they want to wear bright colors and spangles, more power to them! Life is a celebration of who we are and clothing is one way of shouting it out to the world.

Plus sized women are still in this day and age are given little choice when it comes to clothing.

As a very tall woman even I have a heck of a time finding clothing to fit. It has been a struggle all my life. At 6 ft. tall and 155# I wear a size 16 jean. Does that make me plus size? According to clothing manufacturers and the powers that be, yes.

Shasta

I don't necessarily know that big women feel "empowered" by teddy bear appliques, badly glued-on sequins & other doo-dads. :D

As a former plus size woman, I can say I *loathed* these kinds of clothes. To me, they were the exact OPPOSITE of empowering - they were de-sexing. Like "I'm fat, why not dress me like a 3rd grader, too?" The *first* thing I'm doing when I Win The Lottery (tm) is opening a store for plus size women that carries *good* stuff - jackets, suits, skirts, crisp white blouses, camel hair coats - everything that defines taste for the rest of the world.

*My* take on the Quacker Factory phenom is that it appeals to a certain demographic - say middle-American women of a certain age who may also happen to be plus-sized.

VCNJ~

UntouchedTakeaway
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
OMG does Fingerhut still exist? Nothing quite like paying 30% more than a product is suggested at and then paying $4.36 a month forever!

They do indeed exist; somehow I got on their mailing list. They now sell clothes and electronics in addition to the strawberry themed kitchen & match your towels to the shower curtain to the toilet seat cover to the wainscoting bath collections.

VCNJ~

RickJay
04-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Gosh, I know exactly who wears this stuff:

Elementary school teachers.

It's an honorable profession, but one long beset by catastrophic fashion senselessness.

http://theonion.com/content/node/28507

DianaG
04-08-2006, 11:15 AM
No company purporting to sell clothing to grown women should have a "Shop by Theme (http://qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?class=4648)" category. Critter Craze?!?! Ahoy Mate!?!?!

These are clearly intended for people who've decided that sex just isn't for them.

jayjay
04-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Who are these people?

They're my mother. And my aunts. I think they're kind of cute, actually, especially for folks who don't really care that they don't look like Dior models or that they're not wearing this spring's Versace (or knockoff). I don't think they're hideous. Kind of tacky, sure, but anymore those of us who collect online tend to call anything that flyover-land ladies of a certain age like 'tacky'. What's wrong with clothing that's Bedazzled, if the wearer likes it?

Besides, the Quacker Factory lady is wacky. I like wacky. :D

Athena
04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Hmm, maybe the show is different, but the clothes on the Web site are far from the worst I've ever seen. Go look at the clothes at WalMart or similar stores for really horrific stuff.

That said, I do wonder about the people who wear clothes like that. My 69-year-old mother wears pretty much the same type of clothes I do. In fact, she's more into clothes than I am, so is much better dressed. She wears nice jeans and stylish shirts and sweaters.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, tends towards matching sets of polyester clothing with ducks and butterflies and such on them. She does her hair the same way she's done it since the 50s. Mr. Athena agrees - he says she's had the same hairdo his whole life.

She's a really nice, cute lady, but definitely dresses and acts "old lady"ish. I wonder when women start doing that - there must have been one point in her life where she wore stylish clothes and such. And she still is always neat and clean. So why the ducks?!? :confused:

Jeep's Phoenix
04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
MadTV has done several parody skits involving this lady's QVC show. Part of the skits involve small-built models wearing oversized clothes with all sorts of tacky, sparkly things on them.

Green Cymbeline
04-08-2006, 08:56 PM
My 69-year-old mother wears pretty much the same type of clothes I do. In fact, she's more into clothes than I am, so is much better dressed.
Me too. My mom is 60 and she is much more fashionable than I am. She wears contemporary sexy feminine clothes. When she is around other women her age, she looks so much better.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, tends towards matching sets of polyester clothing with ducks and butterflies and such on them. She does her hair the same way she's done it since the 50s. Mr. Athena agrees - he says she's had the same hairdo his whole life.
I know the type. My ex-boyfriend's mom was just like this. She wore shapeless oversized t-shirts and sweatshirts with cute animals or butterflies, etc. And she has the same bouffant hairstyle she had in her college photo from the 60s.

Shirley Ujest
04-08-2006, 10:28 PM

Shasta

As a 5.3 inch woman at 160, I wear about a 14 or 16 depending on the evil whims of the fashion designers. They say I am a plus size, but everywhere I look, I see women who are exactly like me in body shape. The slightly gone to seed look.

The industry is in cahoots with the diet industry. I just know it. They hate us both, equally.

And back on topic, Astro I am now emotionally traumatized by the very thought of those shirts. Where do I remit my pharmaceutical or liquor bill ?

MsRobyn
04-08-2006, 10:33 PM
My take on it is (because I'm guilty of dressing this way on occasion, not that I would wear this stuff) that some women just want to grab something from the closet and go. They don't want to be bothered with having to choose a top that goes with a bottom. They want matching stuff that's easy to wear.

I also took another look through the entire collection and noticed that these clothes would appeal to older women with arthritis or other joint problems. With some exceptions, these clothes are easy to put on and take off because they have no buttons or fasteners. Throw on some decoration and you've got something that an older person wouldn't have a problem wearing.

Ms. Bice's message also seems somewhat empowering in a motivational "You can do it!" sense. I can see where this would appeal to certain women.

Robin

Mrs O'Malley's Cow
04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I know women in their 50s (mom is included here) and their 60s who would not dream of donning anything from the Quacker Factory. If my mom did, I would pee myself laughing. Then I would video it and send it to Webjunk 2.0.

Mrs O'Malley's Cow
04-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Right now, on QVC, Bob Mackie Wearable Art "Look how cuuuuuuuttttttteeeee it is" :eek: ugh I need to go find a bucket.

Hilarity N. Suze
04-08-2006, 11:04 PM
My mother bought me the World's Ugliest T-shirt, and my guess is that it came from these people. It was:

White

With two big roses (guess where they were positioned)

Which were then emphasized by being outlined with sequins thereby guaranteeing that you couldn't just throw the thing into the wash (although how it would get dirty in the first place I have no idea)

The really odd thing is that I presented this, as a Horrid Example, to a young woman one of my sons was dating, and she said, "Hey, that's kinda cute."

So I gave it to her.

She must have had good taste 'cause she was dating my son, so I can't explain it. They broke up soon after so I never had to see that awful shirt again.

Flutterby
04-08-2006, 11:08 PM

Shasta

Yup.

Doesn't matter if you're 5' or 6', anything 16+ is plus size. (I can sympathize, I'm 6'1 and a size 16/18 depending on the brand or style and lately the styles that used to fit are too small, even though I'm losing weight).

Those clothes look like the ones my Nana would buy me when I was a kid. I despised them.

Mrs O'Malley's Cow
04-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Yup.

Doesn't matter if you're 5' or 6', anything 16+ is plus size. (I can sympathize, I'm 6'1 and a size 16/18 depending on the brand or style and lately the styles that used to fit are too small, even though I'm losing weight).

Those clothes look like the ones my Nana would buy me when I was a kid. I despised them.

You have 16W which is plus sized and then you have 16 misses. W sizes are cut fuller around the hips and such. Typically misses go up to a 18. I wear anything from a 12 to an 18 misses. I can also wear around a 14W (usually). One good thing about being a 12 on up is you can (usually) go back and forth between plus size and misses.

Guinastasia
04-08-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't necessarily know that big women feel "empowered" by teddy bear appliques, badly glued-on sequins & other doo-dads. :D

As a former plus size woman, I can say I *loathed* these kinds of clothes. To me, they were the exact OPPOSITE of empowering - they were de-sexing. Like "I'm fat, why not dress me like a 3rd grader, too?" The *first* thing I'm doing when I Win The Lottery (tm) is opening a store for plus size women that carries *good* stuff - jackets, suits, skirts, crisp white blouses, camel hair coats - everything that defines taste for the rest of the world.

*My* take on the Quacker Factory phenom is that it appeals to a certain demographic - say middle-American women of a certain age who may also happen to be plus-sized.

VCNJ~

Exactly. This shit is degrading.

It's also over-priced. Look at the JC Penney's website, and you can find a LOT of nicer stuff in the plus section and pay less for it as well.

Cutesy should not be worn outside of pajamas. Cutesy pjs are okay because they're supposed to be warm and baggy and comfortable.

BiblioCat
04-08-2006, 11:35 PM
My take on it is (because I'm guilty of dressing this way on occasion, not that I would wear this stuff) that some women just want to grab something from the closet and go. They don't want to be bothered with having to choose a top that goes with a bottom. They want matching stuff that's easy to wear.Kinda like Garanimals for grown-ups. :D

The women in the Ladies Auxiliary at my firehouse wear stuff like this - sparkly sweatshirts, themed to the season. They all must have at least a dozen, one for every time and holiday of the year. We just had our Easter Bunny breakfast and they were all decked out in their sparkly bunny sweatshirts. I was amazed that there were no two alike.
Personally, I think they're hideous. I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

UntouchedTakeaway
04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
There are plus size 14/16/18 - followed by a W. 14W, 16W, etc (I have also seen 12W - mainly at Talbots). There are "misses" 14/16/18 (and occasionally 20), which are not considered plus-size & are usually not as fully cut as the "W"s.

Wilhelmina & Ford modeling agencies' plus size division starts at size 10. MISSES size 10. :rolleyes:

VCNJ~

UntouchedTakeaway
04-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Yup.

Not exactly. Plus sizes are womens sizes - 12/14/16/18/ and up - with a W after the number, indicating a fuller cut. *Misses* sizes generally run to an 18 (sometimes a 20) and are not as fully cut.

VCNJ~

MizGrand
04-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Wilhelmina & Ford modeling agencies' plus size division starts at size 10. MISSES size 10.

Well that's just WRONG. Shame on them. I see larger but by no means heavy women in ads these days for Lane Bryant, Playtex, and I just think again, shame on them.
Way to perpetuate the "body consciousness" of young girls. You're fat if you're a 10?

RickJay
04-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Well that's just WRONG. Shame on them. I see larger but by no means heavy women in ads these days for Lane Bryant, Playtex, and I just think again, shame on them.
Way to perpetuate the "body consciousness" of young girls. You're fat if you're a 10?
I don't think a modelling agency's recruitment policies are really relevant to any young girl who does not actually apply to be a model. They have to play to their customers; the clothing industry. The clothing industry generally hires size 6 models. If you send them a size 12 model, you won't get the business.

It's common knowledge, I think, that what looks good in front of the camera simply is not the same as what looks good to the naked eye. A woman who in person would seem too skinny looks good in photos, while a size 12 who looks insanely hot in person looks too heavy in photos. Princess Diana, who in photos looked great, looked way too skinny to me in person (though her face was prettier than I'd thought, for whatever reason.) Kate Winslet, who has been criticized for her weight at times and certainly does look heavy in some shots, is a goddess in person.

I don't exactly know why that is - probably something to do with the difference between two dimensional images and three dimensional objects - but it's true.

PunditLisa
04-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see much difference between the tacky Quacker t-shirts and the tacky Kate Spade (http://katespade.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=1863844&clickid=leftnav_handbags_img) purses, except for the socio-economic class of the idiots who buy such tasteless crap.

DianaG
04-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Eh, just like the Quacker Factory can only hope to approach the tackiness of Fingerhut and Lily Vernon, Kate Spade is a mere blip on the radar for tasteless purses. If you want really tacky handbags, you head for Dooney & Bourke (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=19078).

Sorry for the hijack, but D&B has baffled and angered me for years now. What posesses people to spend hundreds of dollars on these atrocities?

MrJackboots
04-09-2006, 01:03 PM
If you want really tacky handbags, you head for Dooney & Bourke (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=19078).

Ow. My eyes. Why did I click on that? Morbid curiosity is one thing, but damn...

I've been Goatse-linked before and only raised an eyebrow, but I believe weird feeling in my face means that I'm actively twitching at that one.

Thanks a lot.

astro
04-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Ow. My eyes. Why did I click on that? Morbid curiosity is one thing, but damn...

I've been Goatse-linked before and only raised an eyebrow, but I believe weird feeling in my face means that I'm actively twitching at that one.

Thanks a lot.

Now, now top shelf merchandise is never tacky it's simply.... umm... whimsical... yeah...that's the ticket. Whimsical!

MsRobyn
04-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Eh, just like the Quacker Factory can only hope to approach the tackiness of Fingerhut and Lily Vernon, Kate Spade is a mere blip on the radar for tasteless purses. If you want really tacky handbags, you head for Dooney & Bourke (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=19078).

Sorry for the hijack, but D&B has baffled and angered me for years now. What posesses people to spend hundreds of dollars on these atrocities?

Why did I click on that? That bag is atrocious.

Robin

MrJackboots
04-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Now, now top shelf merchandise is never tacky it's simply.... umm... whimsical... yeah...that's the ticket. Whimsical!

Well, I wasn't thinking "tacky" so much as "eye-searing"... Is "eye-searing" acceptable?

MrJackboots
04-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Why did I click on that? That bag is atrocious.
Probably it has something to do with my warning that it is worse than Goatse. People just have to see for themselves; warnings aren't good enough.

I'm sorry.

MsRobyn
04-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Probably it has something to do with my warning that it is worse than Goatse. People just have to see for themselves; warnings aren't good enough.

I'm sorry.

It's like a traffic accident, isn't it? It's not good enough to trust the reporter; you just gotta see it for yourself.

Robin

DianaG
04-09-2006, 01:40 PM
See? I'm sorry to upset y'all, but dammit, share my pain!!! That site is full of almost equally ugly bags, most of which seem aimed at the pre-teen market. Many of them appear to have been made my pre-schoolers with glitter glue.

I think the one I linked to is the worst, though... even at $365.00, that's a lot of ugly for the money.

Johanna
04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
As a very tall woman even I have a heck of a time finding clothing to fit. It has been a struggle all my life. At 6 ft. tall and 155# I wear a size 16 jean. Does that make me plus size? According to clothing manufacturers and the powers that be, yes.Say it, sister! We're each other's size, wanna trade stuff?

vivalostwages
04-09-2006, 02:12 PM
The lady in the OP's link is scarier than the clothing.

And that D&B purse is a travesty.

medstar
04-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Er, I shop a lot for clothing on the QVC website and I love it. Yes, I'm plus-sized and I like simple classic sets that are easy to wear, care for, and are no-brainers to put on for work. That being said, I pick out outfits from Citiknits, Dialogue, etc, because I don't like busy clothing which will just emphasize my size. I checked out the Quacker Factory on the QVC website and found some tops that are toned down and are actually something I'd consider wearing. Those sparkly, sequinned tops certainly are attention getters but if a woman likes those, she might investigate the rest of the line to see if there's anything else she might like to get.

dangermom
04-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Just FYI, clothing manufacturers make their samples in size 6 for women's clothing, and the plus size models are size 12. Since the clothes are made months ahead of time, there isn't a variety of sizes and the models all have to be a 6 or a 12.

This is ordinary clothing, however, the sort of thing you see in women's magazines, not runway styles.

As a solidly-built woman (I'm not fat, but I'm definitely not slim), I would never be caught dead in those glittery things. I like dark colors and classic styles. It's very depressing to go to a store in spring and see all those cute pastels, that all look terrible on me! I look great in chocolate brown though, so I'm pretty happy this year.

Flutterby
04-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Not exactly. Plus sizes are womens sizes - 12/14/16/18/ and up - with a W after the number, indicating a fuller cut. *Misses* sizes generally run to an 18 (sometimes a 20) and are not as fully cut.

VCNJ~

You have 16W which is plus sized and then you have 16 misses. W sizes are cut fuller around the hips and such. Typically misses go up to a 18. I wear anything from a 12 to an 18 misses. I can also wear around a 14W (usually). One good thing about being a 12 on up is you can (usually) go back and forth between plus size and misses.

We must be shopping at different stores then (I'm in Alberta ftr), its very rare when I see a 16W or 18W and that's only a couple of brands (actually, the only brand I can recall trying on that went like that was Nygard). Most places I shop for pants go 12/14/16 then you have to go next door/across the hall to the plus size store (unless its all in the same store) where it goes 18/20/22/24. One store I shop at has S/M/L in the regular and the plus size (small in plus size being bigger than large in regular).

So here I am, towering over most (if not all) the other women in the store while I try to find something that is the right length and not too loose (as most plus size clothes are cut) or too tight (as most tall girl clothes are cut)

zweisamkeit
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
C'mon people.

There are tons of cute things for plus sized ladies; it just takes some, y'know, effort to find it. But that's the same for a size 8 lady who has to wade through some nasty low-rise muffin-top jeans or shirts that are too short, etc.

I'll just take Lane Bryant as an example (although obviously the mannequins are not a size 18 or 24, but the clothes look nice in person as well). Sure, they have some freaking hideous tunics (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009590&nav=L9), but they also have:

- nice suit jackets (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009365&nav=L1)
- short sleeved button downs (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009437&nav=L9) in a dressy fabric (and these are nicely fitted to skim curves without revealing, uh, rolls)
- nice basic shells (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009612&nav=L9) made of supima cotton, which you can wear under similar cardigans or under suit jackets
- basic camisoles (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009266&nav=L9) that are great for under button downs, suit jackets, whatever
- cute dressy -casual tanks (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009408&nav=L9) like this one
- knee-length skirts (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L9800012&nav=L9) that are a nice A-line shape to help minimize the hip and booty
- jeans (http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L9700017) that can be distressed, embellished, plain; bootcut, flared, straightleg (thankfully they seem to be getting rid of the tapered legs :: shudder :: ); light, medium, dark, etc.

ladybug
04-09-2006, 09:13 PM
If you want really tacky handbags, you head for Dooney & Bourke (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=19078).

You're telling me that women pay money for these bags? On purpose?

RickJay
04-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I thought the Quacker Factory was so hideous and silly, I of course signed up Mrs. RickJay's best friend to be a Quacker. I am so looking forward to her tales of frustration at receiving all their E-mail.

Savannah
04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I thought the Quacker Factory was so hideous and silly, I of course signed up Mrs. RickJay's best friend to be a Quacker. I am so looking forward to her tales of frustration at receiving all their E-mail.

You're evil. :)

amarinth
04-10-2006, 02:40 AM
See? I'm sorry to upset y'all, but dammit, share my pain!!! That site is full of almost equally ugly bags, most of which seem aimed at the pre-teen market. Many of them appear to have been made my pre-schoolers with glitter glue.The one you linked to seems to have that "Girl Scout Camp project" look - but those only cost $5 and a permission slip signed by your legal guardian.

They also got "lost" quickly.

BiblioCat
04-10-2006, 07:12 AM
If you want really tacky handbags, you head for Dooney & Bourke (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=19078).I was going to mention the Louis Vuitton bags, specifically the white ones with the multi-colored LVs all over them, but this thing wins, hands down.
Damn, looking at that thing first thing on a Monday morning is better than a gallon of coffee for waking up.
It's just freaking ugly.

Don't click on the swatches to make it change colors! It'll make your eyes bleed.

aruvqan
04-10-2006, 08:46 AM

Thanks a lot.

Actually This banana bag (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=20220) isnt too bad, but holy crap on a stick, $175US :eek:

aruvqan
04-10-2006, 08:52 AM
People at work think I am a bit nuts [but we wont go there :) ]

I have 5 pair of black, identical palazzo pants (http://devalifewear.com/mm5/) - partway down the page. I have 5 identical model MENS polo shirts, in assorted different colots. I have identical black socks, and mens comfy loafers.

I simply point out to them I dont have to stop and think about what to wear to work, teh mens loafers and polo shirts are better made, longer lasting and much cheaper than the nearest womens equivalent. I *always* am dressed suitably for office casual. I spend a hell of a lot less on work clothes, that I dont give a crap about [I go to work, I work, I go home. Then I dress how I like] and I do my work laundry once a week, hang it all up and I can get dressed in the dark with a hangover and never worry about mismatching anything=)

Snickers
04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks, BiblioCat. I just had to. Thanks to you. Ouch.

UntouchedTakeaway
04-10-2006, 09:33 AM
People at work think I am a bit nuts [but we wont go there :) ]

I have 5 pair of black, identical palazzo pants (http://devalifewear.com/mm5/) - partway down the page. I have 5 identical model MENS polo shirts, in assorted different colots. I have identical black socks, and mens comfy loafers.

I simply point out to them I dont have to stop and think about what to wear to work, teh mens loafers and polo shirts are better made, longer lasting and much cheaper than the nearest womens equivalent. I *always* am dressed suitably for office casual. I spend a hell of a lot less on work clothes, that I dont give a crap about [I go to work, I work, I go home. Then I dress how I like] and I do my work laundry once a week, hang it all up and I can get dressed in the dark with a hangover and never worry about mismatching anything=)

I work this way a lot too. I have several wardrobe staples - tailored white shirts, black seasonal wool trousers & skirts, twin sets, tailored jackets. I can pull together an outfit in about 5 seconds if I have to, and pull it all together with accessories.

Everything else in my wardrobe is icing.

VCNJ~

gigi
04-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Same here, with the work "uniform".

Chino-type pants in khaki, brown and black. Lee Riders Stretch cotton, size 24.
Lands End 3/4 length or short sleeve shirts, black or dark blue, cotton with a little stretch, size 3X.

Mix and match, but except for brown and blue, everything coordinates.

Winter: blue, blue or brown Dansko clogs
Spring/summer/fall: Birks in a variety of colors.

Done, and done.

gigi
04-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Oh, and a friend of mine has a number of Dooney and Bourke bags, but they are the classic-style ones (something like this (http://store.dooney.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=18937) but more classic); they were classy and preppy then, I don't know what's happened! :eek:

Shirley Ujest
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
arquvan, thanks for that link.

norinew
04-10-2006, 03:02 PM
What bothers me most about Quacker Factory stuff is that, unless the stuff is cut very generously, there's no way Jeanne Bice, the woman hawking them, can wear her own stuff. Her stuff comes up to size 3X, and she's a 4X, minimum, which seems rather hypocritical.

gigi
04-10-2006, 03:29 PM
What bothers me most about Quacker Factory stuff is that, unless the stuff is cut very generously, there's no way Jeanne Bice, the woman hawking them, can wear her own stuff. Her stuff comes up to size 3X, and she's a 4X, minimum, which seems rather hypocritical.
I don't know. I am superfat (5'10", 300#) and I can fit a 3X, depending on the product. From the picture, I would say I am bigger than that woman by a good bit.

I worked in a family shelter in NYC and we would try to help the moms figure out their financial situation. A disproportionate number would list Fingerhut as one of their creditors.

Harriet the Spry
04-10-2006, 03:41 PM
After a certain age, women outnumber men by something like 10 to 1. At that point, I can certainly understand many women deciding they don't want to dress for men any more--they dress for comfort, to please their grandchildren and to connect with other women like themselves. In my sunset years, I plan to dress at least that comfortably. I may skip the appliques, or find something a bit more edgy, though. Maybe an applique of the rolleyes smiley.

norinew
04-10-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't know. I am superfat (5'10", 300#) and I can fit a 3X, depending on the product. From the picture, I would say I am bigger than that woman by a good bit.

I worked in a family shelter in NYC and we would try to help the moms figure out their financial situation. A disproportionate number would list Fingerhut as one of their creditors.
It's amazing to me how differently people can be built! I'm 5'8, 320, and mostly need at 4X. She looks to me like she'd be at least my size, although shorter and rounder. If I'm wrong about her size, then I take back the remark about being hypocritical.

gigi
04-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I know intellectually how much I weigh but I am always surprised at what I look like in pictures and the reflection in windows [I don't use the mirror much] so I can't say for sure how it all compares!!

But you're right about shapes and sizes. I fit into one particular size 16 suit (Talbot's, so I think it was misses and not Women's) when I weighed about 190# and my friend can't fit parts of it at 165#. It's because I carry my wieght evenly all over but remain relatively proportional and she carries it in her stomach and middle. So the middle won't fit and the rest will swim, while for me it fits all over. One of the things I actually like about my body, even at this weight!!

SkeptiJess
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't think this stuff (and similar styles I see at department stores) is targeting plus-size women so much as older women. Or, to be specific, a certain type of older women -- those who, like Harriet the Spry said, are no longer dressing for men (sexily). I see women in these types of clothes (comfy pull-on pants, loose 'cute' tops) in all sizes and all demographics -- the poorer women wear the Walmart brand versions and the richer women wear the Dillards, Nordstrom, Quacker factory versions. But, almost without exeption, I only see this stuff on women aged 40 or older.

It's funny -- I was just thinking about this this weekend! My husband and I took our daughter to visit the college she's planning on attending. It's a small private college for women (Sweet Briar in Virginia) and fairly spendy, so the parents who were there scanned mostly middle-to-upper-middle class. I was one of the only two mothers there in jeans. Many of the dads were in jeans -- probably around half, but almost all the the other women were wearing some version of the 'cute' uniform above. There were a handful of women in slacks and blazers, but all of the rest were in high-end pull-on slacks and tops. And me in my Levis and shirts -- a fitted button up blouse the first day and a long sleeved tshirt the next.

I actually felt kind of conspicuous... But I'm not ready to hang up the sexy clothes just yet. Maybe I'll never be ready -- my mom is 65 (20 years older than me) and she always tells me that I should put her out on the iceberg if she ever switches to pull-on-pants and strawberry-applique shirts!

CanvasShoes
04-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I think shasta has hit the nail on the head here. Also someone who said something those "clueless about fashion.

There are too few choices for super heavy women. I have to admit, I sometimes keep QVC on in the background for company. I glance up every now and then and yell "HOLY cow" or "Uuuurrrrgggh" shudder. It's sorta like watching people at the mall and making fun of the really weird ones. And every once in a while, I'll see a cute pattern that I'd like to try out for scrap booking or some such. Which really, is the only place a little red crab belongs and NOT all over your pantsuit! :D

CanvasShoes
04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Right now, on QVC, Bob Mackie Wearable Art "Look how cuuuuuuuttttttteeeee it is" :eek: ugh I need to go find a bucket.
BLECH...Bob Mackie's stuff makes the Quacker Factory look positively Haute Couture.

Could we CRAM anymore clashing colors onto one giant poncho? GACK.

CanvasShoes
04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I think she's a fairly petite woman. So though she looks hugely round (and you've got to remember, the average host is about a double negative zero), she probably fits the 1-3 X just fine. I see her wearing her sweaters all of the time and she seems to make sure she swims in them, so I think it's just that she's so little. Little meaning bone structure and height. A tiny little skeleton in way too much fat.

I'm the same way. NOT a 3 or 4X, but small bone structure. Every extra micro ounce of weight sticks out. Nowhere for it to hide when you're small boned.

norinew
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
I think she's a fairly petite woman. So though she looks hugely round (and you've got to remember, the average host is about a double negative zero), she probably fits the 1-3 X just fine. I see her wearing her sweaters all of the time and she seems to make sure she swims in them, so I think it's just that she's so little. Little meaning bone structure and height. A tiny little skeleton in way too much fat.

I'm the same way. NOT a 3 or 4X, but small bone structure. Every extra micro ounce of weight sticks out. Nowhere for it to hide when you're small boned.
Y'know, itellectually, I guess I knew this. But I've been tall all my life, so it's easy for me to forget this stuff.

If she's not a hypocrit, then I say, more power to her! I don't care for most of the stuff, but if it makes women happy, who am I to complain? It's not like anyone's forcing me to wear it.

Guinastasia
04-10-2006, 09:42 PM
BLECH...Bob Mackie's stuff makes the Quacker Factory look positively Haute Couture.

Could we CRAM anymore clashing colors onto one giant poncho? GACK.

I dunno, I kinda like this dress (http://firstview.com/WRTWfall2002/BOB_MACKIE/P097.html), as it's obviously a knock-off of Eliza Doolittle's embassy ballgown (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Guinastasia/Audrey/3236.jpg).

Now, while I wouldn't go with the heavy choker or the big hairdo, the dress is pretty close to the original that I'd wear it.

DiosaBellissima
04-11-2006, 09:26 AM
I think shasta has hit the nail on the head here. Also someone who said something those "clueless about fashion.

There are too few choices for super heavy women. I have to admit, I sometimes keep QVC on in the background for company. I glance up every now and then and yell "HOLY cow" or "Uuuurrrrgggh" shudder. It's sorta like watching people at the mall and making fun of the really weird ones. And every once in a while, I'll see a cute pattern that I'd like to try out for scrap booking or some such. Which really, is the only place a little red crab belongs and NOT all over your pantsuit! :D

I'll admit that I'm sure it is hard to shop if you are a size 34, but as zweisamkeit posted back thread (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showpost.php?p=7281869&postcount=44 ), there are lots of choices for the size 14-24 (even 28 in Lane Bryant) among us.

For example: I'm about a size 18 in jeans (which, as we all know, means I can wear a 14 in one place, a 16 in another, an 18 in some, and a 20 in a few more) and I can buy my jeans in Lane Bryant, Torrid, Target, Old Navy, The Gap (including their wicked awesome outlet), Wal-Mart, and there are a few** others that I can't remember. Oh, and those are all the ones here in my little town, if I go down to LA (or online) there are even more choices. Sure, I've got to try on 15 pairs before I can find some I like, but my size 2 friend has that exact same problem.

As far as shirts, well, I like 'em a bit snug- which means I have no problem finding shirts. Don't get me wrong, I've got two, big ole boobies on my chest, so I definitely have to buy an XL (ok, MAYBE that isn't JUST because of the big ole boobies, MAYBE it has something to do with the big ole gut :D ) in most places. That said, I still have all of the above choices when it comes to tops. The same can be said for underwear, bras, shoes, socks, etc.

I'm aware that I'm not on the "super heavy" end of the spectrum, but I'm also not one of those "barely plus sized" girls. If you are having trouble finding clothes, I'd argue that you really aren't looking very hard. LOTS of stores have started carrying womens' pants in sizes 16, 18, and even 20-- along with shirts that are 3X. Sure, Torrid might be too "young" of a style for most, but what about the Gap? Old Navy has some great, simple standards. And let's not forget Lane Bryant, which has (as zweisamkeit posted above) some fantastic suit staples.

If you're "plus sized," you don't have to dress in a potato sack or like a grandma- you just have to figure out what works for you and look. It's out there. I promise.

** Just some more that I thought of: Macy's, Penny's, Robinsons-May, Fashion Bug, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc.

aruvqan
04-11-2006, 09:29 AM
arquvan, thanks for that link.

NP. I love the clothing, all cotton, and wears like iron. I have a pair of lotus pants that date to 1981 that mrAru hijacked and wears. In beautiful condition=)

Velma
04-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Shasta

Buh? I weigh a couple pounds more than you and I am 5'11" and I wear a size 10/12. We must be totally different shapes? How can you fill out a size 16 at that weight? With those stats I would guess you are a solid 10 or even an 8.

That's so odd how sizes are different for everyone. I'm not very curvy, that might be the difference.

My mom has a nice figure but still insists on wearing the Mom Jeans. Sigh. At least she doesn't go there with the sparkle appliques.

Johanna
04-11-2006, 05:52 PM
At Target, my favorite clothing store, they often have such gorgeous things in plus sizes it makes me wish I were big enough for them. I can sometimes wear borderline plus, but misses sizes fit me just right. It can be hard sometimes to find big misses, but that's me. I've been known to shop in the plus department just because I'm big, but now I've lost so much weight, plus wouldn't look right on me any more. I need size 16 misses. Anyone want to trade?

lizardling
04-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Agnostic me: "Holy Mary Mother of God."

Best Topics: chicken drumette selling stolen phone singing and drumming jaguar pronunciation towel snapping runny egg yolk stop sign spanish slow toilet drano bacon number 6 bannon lapel pin car trim meaning kissed your sister flask alternatives inline hook ntoskrnl.exe rosary funeral chalk line body californium 252 price black in iceland pawn golf clubs plural of raj incendiary pigs sexy housecleaning catholic schoolgirl uniforms coat sleeve infinitely dense war chester shire crushed submarine dope etymology cassidy preacher eyes powder coating cars metric lumber sizes static shock wristband document recovered from the marianas trench weight watcher points potato can you close a dead person's eyes can you put instant coffee in a coffee maker should pinot noir be refrigerated brine with table salt can spayed dogs be in heat how to tell if a guy is bi curious xbox 360 harddrive repair chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips why do my eyes get watery when i pee porsche service advisor salary how to send cash in the mail hydraulic clutch vs cable clutch best place to be homeless in the us windows 7 home premium encryption the account that owns the email address you entered has been disabled why are razor blades locked up why do cats lick when you scratch their back it support hourly rate vcf film stuck to my finger watermelon on my head how does a touch lamp work text above signature line on checks birds that start with the letter x does methylprednisolone cause weight gain windows vcd movie maker paid off credit card but still charged interest indiana bmv secure id flower in gun barrel watchmen chest pain after airbag deployment how to open a filing cabinet without key