PDA

View Full Version : Quick Connstantine questions (Spoiler boxes enabled)

Morbo
04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I just saw Constantine. I must admit, I kinda liked it. Maybe it was the mood I was in. Anyway, questions:
Was Gabriel supposed to be a male?

Are we to assume she killed herself at the end? It looked as though she was going back underwater in the pool at the end of that scene, but surely she wouldn't deliberately commit suicide, knowing what she knew.

What was that black stuff that Satan pulled out of Constantine's body? That scene confused me. So he's dead and going to Heaven for his sacrifice, but then Satan pulls goo out of his body and he lives..?

Hey, It's That Guy!
04-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Constantine was suffering from lung cancer -- I forgot exactly when they explained it in the movie, but it was based on the Hellblazer comic book story "Dangerous Habits" by Garth Ennis. At the end, Satan removed the cancerous growth Constantine's lungs to save his life, since at that point if he had died, he would have ascended to heaven. Satan just wanted him to stay alive longer, since he had bigger, worse plans for him.

Morbo
04-19-2006, 05:03 PM
So much for "Spoiler boxes enabled." :)

So Satan pulled the cancer out of him. And put the blood back in? And repaired his wrists?

(Actually, I feel pretty stupid looking back on it now. Of course it was his cancer being removed.)

sciguy
04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
#1: IIR my Hellblazer mythos correctly, angels are androgynous creatures, neither male nor female. I'm assuming they cast Tilda Swinton because she looked the part, especially in a "mannish" costume.

#2: I can't remember, been too long since I watched it.

#3: There was a scene early on (I think around the time we saw the twin sister's suicide) where Constantine was talking to a doctor about his lung cancer, including how long he had to live. It wasn't much, so Satan fixed that in addition to healing up John's slashed wrists.

Scupper
04-20-2006, 06:56 PM
As the Onion AV Club so eloquently stated:
[Tilda Swinton is] now unquestionably the go-to gal for creepy semi-human roles.

Bippy the Beardless
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I find Tilda Swinton damn sexy no matter how many men she pretends to be (Constantine, Orlando).

Love Rhombus
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I find Tilda Swinton damn sexy no matter how many men she pretends to be (Constantine, Orlando).

I do too, you're not alone. Something about her just makes me think she'd be a blast to be around as well as great in the sack.

Kythereia
04-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I third that--she makes a fabulous White Witch in Chronicles of Narnia, and by all accounts she's very kind and funny on-set.

outlierrn
04-21-2006, 03:10 AM
1. No specific gender, though I concur with the still hot assesment
2. I don't think so, just trying to find it's feet, so to speak
3. Lung cancer, give him time enough to fall from grace again.

Best Topics: ssn message board kimchi pots rotten carrots distill beer mc kutte junior programmer salary decades centuries hulking hurler build hansons natural soda sook means irs illegal income piss shivers greatclips haircuts an opossum motorcycle helmets glasses movie etymology kamchatka risk shit filled toilet the bell bar teens girls sucking torn song meaning saudi arabian headdress computer craigslist carmax negotiate titans condoms cuckold fantasy fall cookouts how restaurant.com works frederick frasier shapka hat drink pool water beat me daddy eight to the bar elmira looney tunes quotes portland or seattle to live my girlfriend has cold sores amazon sent to wrong address rifled vs smooth bore tank guns how white are your teeth new glasses make me feel sick what is smoked in a peace pipe select all in google photos capacitors at high frequency how to melt coins at home how do you say cocaine in spanish how do you pronounce euler the mask of zorro costumes hotel no credit card storing gasoline in hot shed stardew valley can you plant trees in winter is oxygen heavier than air is it safe to eat paraffin wax don cheadle ocean's 11 how to make waffle house eggs metal detectors for sale on craigslist food to go with cornbread can birds eat cooked rice glue rubber to pvc brooklyn style pizza dominos if you don't like my dog hunter ceiling fan clicking noise 10 week old wont sleep amd equivalent to i5 bud light plastic bottle how to turn off suggested posts on facebook what happened to noggin popping jaw back into place