PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing that came out of my face? *TMI warning*

andrewhub47
07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
*Possible TMI Warning!*

This is the second time this has occurred in 4 months, so I am starting to get curious. I just finished shaving last night when I saw a dark spot on my jaw line. Since this was the second time this has happened, I knew what it was.

It is a dark, hair-like, “thing” that is under my skin. It goes down into my skin just as if it was a beard hair (I am male). I could only see the top of it barely beneath my skin. Since it grosses me out, I had to get it out. I dug under the skin enough so I could eventually get a hold of it with some tweezers and pull it out.

It is ˝ a centimeter long. It is about a millimeter thick and solid. Most of it is covered in a fleshy “sheath”, like the root of a hair. Like a hair, it stung a bit to come out, but it did not bleed.

I am a very thin guy with a thin face and my wife exclaimed that if it was any longer it would be attached to my bone (my jawbone). Both times it has been on my jaw line, once on the left and once on the right.

For those of you who like the gory details, here are pictures: *another TMI warning!*

(the smashed end is where I grabbed it with the tweasers.)

Still in sheath, next to measuring tape (http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/532/hair10xf.jpg)

Out of sheath (http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8660/hair29lg.jpg)

Compared next to head hair (http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1445/hair31pa.jpg) (and I have thick headhair)

Does anyone know what this is? Any guesses? It is WAY too thick to be a real hair. I first thought it was a ingrown hair, but it is not curled, just thick and solid.

It is frustrating and gross to pull this large solid dark thing out of my face, and I wish it would stop. I will probably ask the doctor next time I go in, but I’m curious in the meantime.

Stainz
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Just sounds like an ingrown hair to me ... but, I didn't look at the pictures - it's still early here and, well, I didn't want to get grossed out. :)

Ethilrist
07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Ingrown hair. Or, you're turning into a fly. (http://imdb.com/title/tt0091064/)

awldune
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Just a hair. Sometimes on my face a hair will be unusually thick, and sometimes these are ingrown.

FormerMarineGuy
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I am not easily grossed out and have seen a lot of sick things in my life. This would freak me out if it came out of my skin. I shave daily and ingrown hairs look like thicker versions of hair. I have never seen one like this. What is wrong with you?

Anaamika
07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
It is NOT an ingrown hair. At least not any normal ones. Did any of you look at the pics? That thing is freakish.

Buddy, doctor, ASAP.

Colophon
07-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I have removed similar (but not nearly as thick) items, once or twice. I think what happens is that two (or in your case, more like 7 or 8!) hair follicles get damaged and kind of coalesce to produce a giant Super-Hair™. Yours is quite a big one though...

Clockwork And Candy
07-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Why, oh, why did I have to look at the pictures? My eyes... the goggles do nothing!

Okay, I guess it could be an ingrown hair-- but I've had one before and it hasn't huge, nor did it have a sheath. Have you had any missing time recently? You might've been abducted by aliens. Oh, wait! This is kind of like those weird implant-thingys from They. God, that movie was crap. :\

Yeah, it's prob'ly nothing to worry about, though I'd say it's a good idea to mention it to your doctor.

Iggins
07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
It is NOT an ingrown hair. At least not any normal ones. Did any of you look at the pics? That thing is freakish.

Buddy, doctor, ASAP.

Nah, I get those too, occasionally. It's kinda cool to squeeze those suckers out. It is just a type of ingrown hair. Sometimes mine can even "unroll" a bit, like a little parchment. The first time I got one, it was disconcertning. I showed my roomate, who could not have been less interested.

Mine seem like pimples, until I see the little black top, and then I go to town!

FormerMarineGuy
07-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah, it's prob'ly nothing to worry about, though I'd say it's a good idea to mention it to your doctor.

Nothing to worry about, it is like an accident on the side of the road, with dead bodies next to the car. You have to look twice, but morbidly so. I am saving that picture on my desktop to keep me awake. There is no way I could fall asleep after looking at those pictures.

Renee
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
My husband had one of these. It wasn't quite that thick, but close. We had to pull it out 3 or 4 times, and then it just went away. It seemed to just be a weird mutant hair. No lasting damage. Good luck with that.

Spoke
07-12-2006, 12:22 PM
I have removed similar (but not nearly as thick) items, once or twice. I think what happens is that two (or in your case, more like 7 or 8!) hair follicles get damaged and kind of coalesce to produce a giant Super-Hair™. Yours is quite a big one though...

Yeah, it's not an unusual thing. It is an ingrown hair, but just with several follicles joined together. Happens occasionally with me, too.

No need to seek medical advice. (Simmer down, Anaamika.)

B. Serum
07-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I am not a doctor, but I'm guessing they might be several follicles of hair growing together. Inspect it a little bit and see if you can't break it apart and it is comprised of many normal-thickness hairs. I'm guessing the "sheath" you're referring to is the congealed body oil that we all have to varying degrees. I think that same congealed oil "glues" these several hairs together and makes it appear to be a single solid "thing."

Let us know...

Susie Derkins
07-12-2006, 12:33 PM
See, people? That's how you do a TMI thread. Pictures!!

vetbridge
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM
See, people? That's how you do a TMI thread. Pictures!!
The masturbation thread (how often do you...) woulda gone on longer had they heeded your advice!

Susie Derkins
07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm telling ya!

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
07-12-2006, 01:27 PM
This didn't leave a hole in your face? Did you "unravel" it, or cut into it?

For a second there, when I saw your post, I thought you were Andrewt85 (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/member.php?userid=51877)

Leaffan
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Yep. It's what I used to refer to as a "stump." I got a few in my 30s, but haven't seen one in a few years. I enjoyed digging them out and looking at them!

YaWanna
07-12-2006, 02:13 PM
My husband had one of those once. He's always pulling ingrown hairs with tweezers (I think he gets the ingrowns from using an electric razor). When he gets a very large one, he has to come show it to me.

I agree with the other posters who say it's an ingrown hair, actually several of them fused together with sebum (that oily, waxy "sheath" you describe). No biggie.

DrDeth
07-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Ingrown hair. No biggie, but they can get infected. If so, see your MD.

Anaamika
07-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, it's not an unusual thing. It is an ingrown hair, but just with several follicles joined together. Happens occasionally with me, too.

Sorry! It looks scary to me.

Qadgop the Mercotan
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM

Buddy, doctor, ASAP.
Looks like an ingrown hair to me. And I've pulled lots of odd stuff out of patients in my career.

Where the heck is gabriela? I wonder if she's done a forensic study of ingrown hairs before. :D

indecisive1
07-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Everybody keeps saying it's no biggie. People! he has it photographed next to a ruler for scale, and with a normal hair for comparison. That *THING* looks pretty big to me.

Pardon yet another Star Trek reference, but anybody remember the one about that giant cream-horn looking thing that sucked in ships and planets and stuff? That's the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the photos.

Qadgop the Mercotan
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Everybody keeps saying it's no biggie. People! he has it photographed next to a ruler for scale, and with a normal hair for comparison. That *THING* looks pretty big to me.
Meh. It's an ingrown hair. I've seen and treated waaaaay too many in my career.

Or do you propose a different theory?

Anaamika
07-12-2006, 03:41 PM

Yes. It looks like the poop thingies from shrimps. I forget what they're called. So maybe the OP should look and see if his poops are less than they once were.

Qadgop the Mercotan
07-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Yes. It looks like the poop thingies from shrimps. I forget what they're called. So maybe the OP should look and see if his poops are less than they once were.
You think his intestines are coming out of his face? :cool:

Anaamika
07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
You think his intestines are coming out of his face? :cool:
Ya never know. :dubious:

Daithi Lacha
07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
OK, I'm going out on a limb here, and suggesting that maybe it was a clove inserted into his face, like a ham. In that case -- he's cured already! :D

ShibbOleth
07-12-2006, 04:01 PM

Ok, but why is it wearing a condom in the first photo?

YaWanna
07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes. It looks like the poop thingies from shrimps. I forget what they're called.

"Dirt vein" is what we always called them in Florida. Not claiming that's the proper name or anything.

indecisive1
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM

Maybe it is just a really big weird ingrown hair, or maybe it's a mindless killing machine that will suck up pet rodents, cats and small dogs.

Qadgop the Mercotan
07-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Maybe it is just a really big weird ingrown hair, or maybe it's a mindless killing machine that will suck up pet rodents, cats and small dogs.
The battle is not always won by the strong, nor the race by the swift.

But that's the way to bet.

I'm betting on ingrown hair with its follicular sheath intact.

shizaru
07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Ugh! It looks like a cable....any chance you're a cyborg?

Duke of Rat
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I get 'em. That's a pretty big one I admit, but it's not something I'd worry about.

I had my own theory (no basis in fact or research) that maybe that's why they're called "whiskers"... the bundle of hairs together looks like the old "whisk brooms" made from a bunch of straw tied to a stick. You can generally break them apart into individual hairs.

indecisive1
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
The battle is not always won by the strong, nor the race by the swift.

But that's the way to bet.

I'm betting on ingrown hair with its follicular sheath intact.
Anything that has a sheath can't be entirely trusted.

susan
07-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I have no feedback, but deeply admire your scientific spirit in posting photos.

Mangetout
07-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I get these too; nearly always right on the jawline - the longer they stay buried in the skin, the thicker and more mutated they seem to get; most of them are thinner than the specimen here (although still 3 or more times thicker than my regular beard hairs, and completely consistent, visually, with the OP's example.

One time, I had one under my chin that didn't surface at all and just formed a hard, painful lump that persisted for a couple of months; eventually it came to some sort of head and when I dug it out, the object inside was almost exactly like a little bird's talon.

The OP seems to have pulled out a rather exemplary one though; I'd recommend dabbing a little antiseptic on the area where it came out.

MC$E
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I get those too, once in a while. Speaking of TMI, it kind of reminds me of that other thread with the pores that ooze a seemingly impossible amount of pus. I had one of those once too.

Maybe you could list it on eBay, since you have the pics already.

medstar
07-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Has the hole in your jawline closed in yet? Keep an eye on it to see if another hair-o-lith grows back.

diggleblop
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Maybe a form of Morgellons? http://morgellons.org/

Nars Glinley
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
"Dirt vein" is what we always called them in Florida. Not claiming that's the proper name or anything.
I think the scientific name is "poop chute".

Mangetout
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
hair-o-lithMy God! It's full of stars!

andrewhub47
07-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies and ideas. They have been informative and amusing.

It would be easy to assume a group of ingrown hairs except for two things.

1. My beard hairs don't grown 1/2 cm deep in my skin (or at least I don't think they do).

2. I have looked at the "hair" under magnification, and it does not appear to be a “melded” grouping of hairs, it appears to be one solid piece.

These two parts confuse me. I could easily be wrong about both of them, so I really don't know.

I have no feedback, but deeply admire your scientific spirit in posting photos.

I am a (still at school) scientist, so I just did what was natural.

Speaking of gross, it would have been really gross if I pulled it out and it writhed around while making tiny little screams. I would definitely have been a little more concerned.

Enola Straight
07-12-2006, 09:46 PM
The same thing happened to me.

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=153366&highlight=hair+follicle

Rysdad
07-12-2006, 09:52 PM
It looks like an aglet. Too bad you pulled it, otherwise you could've grown your very own shoelace,

Cervaise
07-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Why, oh, why did I have to look at the pictures?Aw, it's not so bad. I mean, I don't have an answer to the question, but I do find myself with the strong compulsion to go cook something involving cloves.

Anaamika
07-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Speaking of gross, it would have been really gross if I pulled it out and it writhed around while making tiny little screams. I would definitely have been a little more concerned.
You are really cool. Please pay for subscription and stay with us. I think you'll fit right in.

Bobotheoptimist
07-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Demons

Happens all the time

Susie Derkins
07-12-2006, 10:48 PM
The same thing happened to me.

But could you take pictures for us? Noooo... ;)

Lama Pacos
07-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Is it bad that this thread kind of makes me want one of these so I can pull it out?

Onomatopoeia
07-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Is it bad that this thread kind of makes me want one of these so I can pull it out?Heheh. I was thinking the same thing...you know...for science. :)

born too late
07-13-2006, 12:59 AM
I think you're growing dreadlocks.

On your face.

Lynn Bodoni
07-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Is it bad that this thread kind of makes me want one of these so I can pull it out? My husband gets them now and again (he has curly hair) and I pull them out. I'm afraid that I tend to cackle a bit doing so. He also asks me what "this lump" is, and generallly it's a zit, but no, he DOESN'T want me to remove it. I remove it anyway. Such are the privileges of married life. He's also had a pilonidal cyst. Yuck. That's part of married life, too.

I also admire the OP for taking and posting pics.

Mangetout
07-13-2006, 03:17 AM
1. My beard hairs don't grown 1/2 cm deep in my skin (or at least I don't think they do).Yeah, they do; when I get these mutant whiskers, they're sometimes quite hard to get a grip on with the tweezers and if my (reasonably dense) beard is slightly unshaven, I often accidentally pull out a few innocent whiskers before I get a lock on the mutant. I'm always a bit surprised at the depth to(from) which they were growing in the skin.

They also grow sort of diagnonally through your skin, which also enables them to be longer than they first appear.

Mangetout
07-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Maybe a form of Morgellons? http://morgellons.org/That's interesting, because it bears many similarities to this (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=325168) (where I think we perhaps gave the OP a bit of a rough ride, if this is indeed a confirmed medical phenomenon).

DrDeth
07-13-2006, 08:15 AM
It would be easy to assume a group of ingrown hairs except for two things.

1. My beard hairs don't grown 1/2 cm deep in my skin (or at least I don't think they do).

2. I have looked at the "hair" under magnification, and it does not appear to be a “melded” grouping of hairs, it appears to be one solid piece.

These two parts confuse me. I could easily be wrong about both of them, so I really don't know.

QtM sez ingrown hair, so- trust him. I have had the same thing, and it's a weird sort of ingrown hair. Have you changed shaving methods recently?

gigi
07-13-2006, 12:38 PM
OK, I'm going out on a limb here, and suggesting that maybe it was a clove inserted into his face, like a ham. In that case -- he's cured already! :DBOOOO! ;)

This reminds me of that other one where someone started pulling on a little black end coming out a pore and the hair inside just kept unravelling till it was inches long. Bleah.

gabriela
07-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Looks like an ingrown hair to me. And I've pulled lots of odd stuff out of patients in my career.

Where the heck is gabriela? I wonder if she's done a forensic study of ingrown hairs before. :D

So sorry, my deeply admired QtM - if it don't kill ya, I know nertz about it.

Ya wanna talk hemorrhagic pancreatitis Rxed with alcohol?

Oh, no, wait, you already know about that.

Ingrown hairs fused together in a sebum coat? I got nothin'.

Jeep's Phoenix
07-14-2006, 01:15 AM
I would like to applaud the OP for the use of pictures.

I agree that they're "fused" hairs; I have a few follicles under my arms that grow two or three hairs at the time. (I've never produced anything as impressive as the OP though.)

InternetLegend
07-14-2006, 01:29 AM
I just had to pop in and throw my support behind the use of pictures. They really make a TMI thread come alive, and I especially commend the OP for his use of the ruler. Simply magnificent! You must join immediately. If you can't swing the membership fee, I'm certain that many of us will line up to do the honors for you.

jasonh300
07-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I get ingrown hairs all the time and I've had ones that look like that. The body forms some kind of sheath around anything that might cause an infection...that's probably what happened there.

A few years ago, a cyst formed on my neck, right over the jugular vein. I went to a dermotologist for treatment and they "jetted" it with anti-inflammatory meds and local anesthetic. This went on for a couple months with weekly visits. Each time, they'd be able to get a little bit of goo out of it and it would relieve the swelling. One day after a treatment, I went home and took the bandage off of it. Pus was oozing out a little so I put some pressure on it to help it drain. Then I noticed a little hair sticking out of the opening.

I grabbed it with a pair of tweezers and pulled...and pulled....and pulled some more. It was about 8 inches long and coiled up when I finally got it all the way out. Apparantly, it had ingrown a couple of years earlier and kept growing in a little coil, eventually causing an infection. It was pretty freaky.

A sac had formed around it that had to be surgically removed a few weeks later, but after I got the hair out, it quit swelling up. Very painful...hopefully it will never happen again.

xbuckeye
07-14-2006, 09:33 PM
That's interesting, because it bears many similarities to this (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=325168) (where I think we perhaps gave the OP a bit of a rough ride, if this is indeed a confirmed medical phenomenon).
I had to check and make sure it wasn't that guy.

I concur with the multiple ingrown hair theory. I have extensively studied ingrown hairs as I tend to shave my legs somewhat infrequently and wear tights alot in the winter. I have noticed that sometimes there will be a darker than normal hair that has some minor inflammation around the folicle. So, being somewhat of a sadist, I tug with tweezers. Usually the darker than normal hair comes out...with some lighter friends. The follicle end of the lighter hairs look decidedly unhealthy, almost as if they were rotted off. I could totally believe that coarse, dark beard hair doing the same thing would look like that picture.

Rysdad
07-15-2006, 12:11 AM
I grabbed it with a pair of tweezers and pulled...and pulled....and pulled some more. It was about 8 inches long and coiled up when I finally got it all the way out. Apparantly, it had ingrown a couple of years earlier and kept growing in a little coil, eventually causing an infection. It was pretty freaky.

I'm jealous. The one I had on my jaw was only about three inches long.

More recently, I had one start on the end of my nose! Oh, yeah. That's an attractive look. Cross Rudoplh with Karl Malden and you get the idea.

Thank God the bastard popped when the hair was only about half an inch long. Hurt like a sumbitch.

DMC
07-15-2006, 12:46 AM
I get them in 2-3 strand varieties on occasion, and I'm guessing more people have them than realize it. I first discovered mine in much the same ways as xbuckeye did, I noticed a hair that was significantly darker and slightly thicker than those around it. I pulled it out with tweezers and was able to get it to separate into strands with a bit of effort.

I always just assumed that it was from a follicle in which the anagen phase didn't push out the old hair completely. Mine aren't ingrown, so they don't get as thick as your's, but since the anagen phase for facial hair is pretty short, I can see it getting thick like that pretty quickly, if ingrown.

Nawth Chucka
07-15-2006, 02:06 AM
How does a follicle work anyway? Is that where hair material is produced? Does it have cast-off waste in it b/c it comes out through a pore? (I had to provide a hair sample for a drug test once.)

Shai'tan
07-15-2006, 05:04 AM
If you look at the end of the "object" in the photos, you can actually SEE where the hairs are starting to seperate into strands. Its definately multiple "fused" hairs.

Una Persson
07-15-2006, 07:42 AM
OK, I'm going out on a limb here, and suggesting that maybe it was a clove inserted into his face, like a ham. In that case -- he's cured already! :D
Groan...good pun, nonetheless. And I too saw it and thought "clove"; I spend too much time in the kitchen.

I recommend the OP get it electrolyzed. I don't think you want to risk the future infection potential.

Asimovian
07-15-2006, 12:01 PM
My husband gets them now and again (he has curly hair) and I pull them out. I'm afraid that I tend to cackle a bit doing so. He also asks me what "this lump" is, and generallly it's a zit, but no, he DOESN'T want me to remove it. I remove it anyway. Such are the privileges of married life. He's also had a pilonidal cyst. Yuck. That's part of married life, too.

I also admire the OP for taking and posting pics.Remind me not to do a Google Image search the next time you mention something I'm not familiar with.

<shiver>

lee
07-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Those were awesome pictures. Care to give instructions? I am tired of zit photos being all blurry.

My husband has three of these on his face. One is set more shallow than a normal whisker, the others are a bit deeper, like yours. One of them seem to be a fused hair, the others are just single wide hairs. I love it when they get long enough to harvest.

I agree that electrolysis could be of assistance. It can kill that single follicle so it won't keep doing this. Having electolysized many many whiskers, I can tell you that whiskers can seem to so deep that they would have to be anchored in bone. Just under the chin seems to be the deepest place they are anchored.

Lynn Bodoni
07-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Remind me not to do a Google Image search the next time you mention something I'm not familiar with.

<shiver> If I say yuck, that's a pretty good indicator that you don't want to do a Google Image search. Just for your future reference.

At first the surgeons closed the wound, but it got infected again, the doctor opened it up again, and he was supposed to get it cleaned and bandaged a couple of times a day. I did that. For weeks. It put me off hamburger for quite a while.

SkeptiJess
07-15-2006, 09:27 PM
My husband gets this type of ingrown hair from time to time -- like a couple of hairs that fuse together and encapsulate into a big old mutant hair. His are also super hard and brittle -- that shatter almost like glass. I like it when he gets one. They are lots of fun to pluck out and mess with.

Not so a pilonidal cyst. My sympathies, Lynn. ::shudders:: My son is a Hospital Corpsman working with Marines and, apparently, this charming affliction is common among the Devil Dogs. One of Nick's jobs is to lance the suckers. Let's just say that the lancing of these things is an unpopular task even among those who are proud to call themselves Pecker Checkers. Nick brought a buddy of his home a couple of weeks ago and they were playing the 'try to gross each other out" game. Tales of these cysts were prominant. I finally had to tell them that the kitchen was closed if they kept up with the cyst stories. And I have a pretty strong stomach!

SkeptiJess
07-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I spared you guys the worst of their stories, BTW, but I've decided to share two of them, just to prove that I wasn't overreacting. I'll put them in spoiler boxes, so as not to offend the squeamish:
Nick says the drainage from his personal worst case looked like "curdled chocolate milk." And it smelled even worse than it looked. It smelled, according to Nick, like "curdled chocolate milk that had been mixed with liquid shit, swallowed, and then vomited."
Nick's friend responded by telling about... the time he lanced a similar monster and his assistant leaned over the patient to get a better look. The cyst was a gusher and spurted right into the assistant's face. That was when I told them the kitchen was closed if they didn't cut it out -- I had been making omelettes for breakfast.

Hometownboy
07-16-2006, 12:29 AM
<snip> And I've pulled lots of odd stuff out of patients in my career. <snip> :D

I, for one, would be greatly interested in hearing the stories behind this tease. Do I have any company?

Hometownboy
07-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Oh, and with pictures, if possible — in the spirt of the OP, of course.

Hometownboy
07-17-2006, 01:42 AM
OK, one bump, just to see if we can lure QtM

x-ray vision
07-17-2006, 02:02 AM
I get this all the time on the same spot on my chin. It comes out alot easier than a regular hair. It's a group of seperate hairs that are clumped together and it seems like a small splinter coming out of your face. Nothing about it seems ingrown. Next time you get it, try running your finger nail along it lengthwise. I do this and I'm able to get the hairs to split apart (it's almost as if they're glued together) and there's usually about five or six of them.

After writing the above, I remembered posting about this before:

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=310943

illiterate
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
My name is Andrew as well and this happens to me pretty much every month. Mine dont really have a waxy "Sheath" but is pretty waxy all together. It may have a sheath but due to the shape of my hair it isn't noticable. I agree that it isn't a bunch of smaller hairs that can be split apart. Yours looks a little different than mine because my facial hair has a cow-lick right where this thing grows and so it looks more like a claw with a big root and flat spot where I tweeze it out. I do say though it is one of the best feelings in the world pulling these things out as they can become quite uncomfortable under the skin being close to a centimeter long and that thick. I have yet to bring any of my specimens into my dermatologist as I haven't had an appointment since they started growing a couple years back. That being said I have quite the collection at home as I usually save them when I pull them at home :) I am not personally too worried about it at the moment but if I get a ton more in the future on my neck I will probably have laser treatment so no hair grows and I hopefully wont even have to worry about it at all.

x-ray vision
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
No one will let me be a thread killer, even if it takes years.

bump
02-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I am not a doctor, but I'm guessing they might be several follicles of hair growing together. Inspect it a little bit and see if you can't break it apart and it is comprised of many normal-thickness hairs. I'm guessing the "sheath" you're referring to is the congealed body oil that we all have to varying degrees. I think that same congealed oil "glues" these several hairs together and makes it appear to be a single solid "thing."

Let us know...

That's what I get periodically; I usually don't notice them until they turn into a large pimple/boil, and at some point when it won't go away, I go digging with tweezers and yank the fucker out, and then the pimple will finally go away.

VOW
02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
My name is Andrew as well and this happens to me pretty much every month. Mine dont really have a waxy "Sheath" but is pretty waxy all together. It may have a sheath but due to the shape of my hair it isn't noticable. I agree that it isn't a bunch of smaller hairs that can be split apart. Yours looks a little different than mine because my facial hair has a cow-lick right where this thing grows and so it looks more like a claw with a big root and flat spot where I tweeze it out. I do say though it is one of the best feelings in the world pulling these things out as they can become quite uncomfortable under the skin being close to a centimeter long and that thick. I have yet to bring any of my specimens into my dermatologist as I haven't had an appointment since they started growing a couple years back. That being said I have quite the collection at home as I usually save them when I pull them at home :) I am not personally too worried about it at the moment but if I get a ton more in the future on my neck I will probably have laser treatment so no hair grows and I hopefully wont even have to worry about it at all.

My opinion only, but I think you need a new hobby.

~VOW

Beware of Doug
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
"Dirt vein" is what we always called them in Florida. Not claiming that's the proper name or anything.I think they're properly called shrimp shit. I've probably eaten a tablespoon or more of the stuff just since the OP, which was, after all, seven years ago.

I doubt, however, that andrew was harboring shrimp shit in his beard stubble.

TreacherousCretin
02-28-2013, 12:56 AM
My opinion only, but I think you need a new hobby.

~VOW

I'm wondering what google search led him to that particular thread.

John Mace
02-28-2013, 01:04 AM

Yep, I get these every now and then, too. And if you think that is TMI, you have not seen TMI. ;)

Sweet Zombie Jesus, I didn't realize.

CalMeacham
02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
It's your Tracking Implant. After the Greys abducted you and measured your vital parameters, they stuck this in you to keep track of your mk8igration and mating patterns. You removed the first one, so they had to get hold of you and implant another one, or risk losing another subject.

Now yiou've gone and pulled the second one out. You can expect another bout of "Lost Time". And this time they'll stick it somewhere less noticeable and more difficult to remove. Like your groin.

Consider yourself lucky. They used to depiliate the scalp and spray-paint tracking numbers in infrared ink up there.

Bob X
02-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Weird little fibers under the skin is one of the category of things called Morgellons (http://mayoclinic.com/health/morgellons-disease/sn00043), along with itchy spots that feel like something's crawling on you except that there isn't, etc. Some of these are explainable and some are very poorly understood.

Lasciel
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Just noting two things:

1) This is the most awesome zombie thread ever. Extra points because two of the three TMI pics were still available after 5 years!

2) Morgellons is generally considered to be of psycho-somatic origins rather than physical causes. In other words, to be blunt - there are no threads or objects in the skins of Morgellons sufferers, but they really honestly THINK there are. Treatment is understandably difficult because of this, and to be frank, because mental health issues aren't understood very well nor are they handled very well by modern society.

Cymy
03-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I know this is a zombie thread, but since no one mentioned this possibility by name, I thought it might be relevant. Perhaps it is tufted folliculitis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufted_folliculitis

Speaker for the Dead
03-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Just noting two things:

1) This is the most awesome zombie thread ever. Extra points because two of the three TMI pics were still available after 5 years!

2) Morgellons is generally considered to be of psycho-somatic origins rather than physical causes. In other words, to be blunt - there are no threads or objects in the skins of Morgellons sufferers, but they really honestly THINK there are. Treatment is understandably difficult because of this, and to be frank, because mental health issues aren't understood very well nor are they handled very well by modern society.That, and because Morgellons proponents vehemently deny that it's a form of delusional parasitosis. Their sites will include DP as a "common misdiagnosis."

T. Slothrop
03-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Some years ago we were in the shower and my girlfriend felt something sharp sticking out of my lower back. I pulled it out. It had an opaque gelatinous sheath, not black like yours.

I can only assume that it was a tiny piece of shrapnel from my infantry time in Viet Nam which I didn't notice when I received it. There was other stuff that I needed to pay attention to at the time.

Is your object ferrous ? (does it stick to a magnet) ? Were you ever in a war ?

Gbro
03-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Looks just like a Pin Feather. Next time just provide an opening and let it grow.

kayT
03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
I just noticed that the OP has not posted since about six months after starting this thread. Maybe the thing was in fact fatal?

umdnj7
11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
TWO of these were just found in my cheek.

I just had this exact thing happen to me, but there were TWO 1mm thick hard fully sheathed follicls that came out, now i have a hole in the side of my cheek.

Do you think you can repost your photos? The links dont seem to work any longer

The Big Poo
11-22-2015, 09:58 PM
I was just about to complain about the links not working but noticed it was a post made in 2006.

x_x

Lasciel
11-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Sweet Double Zombie!

I doubt the original posters will be able to re-create their images. Honestly I'm a bit shocked that any of them (clarified to mean the IMAGES, not the posters) were hanging around two years ago when this thing was zombified the first time around.

As a side note, I was too lazy to hunt it up to post, but about a year ago I found one of these in my knee buried in scar tissue and thought of this thread.

Chronos
11-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Are you sure it wasn't a coin implanted there? ;)

nearwildheaven
11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
You Tube has a gazillion videos of people doing this kind of thing, whether professionally or on their own.

Best Topics: big dan teague beta chi seagull sandwich riddle surgical matricectomy hate celery scm muscle strain rat farts e voltage cardinal vs bishop water in brakes penis shedding the omen song pigion poison frank sutton imdb car chimes football monkey lt. dyke absolut peppar heavyset vs stocky ms tessmacher superman i hate tourists jodie foster french nypd blue buttocks underground pornography 3 quid sun headache mr falcon wife pantys reverse albinism dark bottom pool smallest marine mammal salt dissolve do game wardens need a search warrant amazon package shipped to wrong address how many minutes in a nba quarter can i raise my undergrad gpa after graduation the smallest marine mammal is a if i like something then unlike it on facebook light dimmer switch not working the fantasticks it depends on what you pay how to tarnish silver with bleach replacement vinyl siding pieces can i put a 40w bulb in a 60w socket 18 wheeler front view multi region dvd player target do i tip tow truck driver is spelling considered grammar can someone else pick up my prescription rite aid bilbo finds the ring menards cedar tone decking reviews can i use iodized salt for piercings quotes about american soldiers in ww2 california home study traffic school booklet i resemble that remark smoke alarm keeps going off muscle jesus breaking the cross is mercury safe to touch my wife likes me to watch secret alpha phi alpha handshake done wonka good day sir what paddy shot at arthur c clarke pedophile is terry bradshaw sick