PDA

View Full Version : Nectarines are not just fuzz-free peaches

twickster
08-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Went to the grocery store yesterday, and the nectarines were significantly cheaper than the peaches. I looooooove peaches, but I had a moment of misplaced frugality and got nectarines, thinking "close enough."

They aren't.

That is all.

Queen Tonya
08-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Hmm, now that you mention it, you never see canned nectarines in those little lunch-box snack cups, either. I don't believe I've ever been offered a serving of nectarine cobbler in my life, not even from my misguided southern relatives who deep-fry anything that isn't nailed down, bless their hearts.

Verrrry mysterious, doncha think?

Thanks for the PSA, Twicks.

Hey, It's That Guy!
08-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I like nectarines so much more than peaches! They are firmer, they take longer to get squishy, the fruit easily slides off the pit rather than sticking on in a fibrous mess, the smooth texture is nicer to feel than the fuzziness of peaches, and frankly, I think they are usually sweeter.

But I'll take a good plum over either any day. Mmmm, it seems to be plum season again...

Johnny L.A.
08-06-2006, 10:11 PM
But I'll take a good plum over either any day. Mmmm, it seems to be plum season again...
I had a nice red plum Friday. I like the ones that are red inside, as opposed to the ones that are yellow.

susan
08-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Plus, my Garnier Fructis hair products smell like nectarines, for that wrap-around eating/showering experience.

Mama Zappa
08-06-2006, 10:44 PM
....nectarines, thinking "close enough."

They aren't.

That is all.
The nectarine is a Cultivar Group of peach that has a smooth, fuzzless skin. Though grocers treat fuzzy peaches and nectarines as different fruits, they belong to the same species. Nectarines have arisen many times from fuzzy peaches, often as bud sports.

Evidently, they *are* fuzz-free peaches.

I'm not convinced though. They just aren't the same!! :mad:

Mindfield
08-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Yoplait make a nectarine yogurt in their Source line. It's rather nice, too. A little tangier than the peach.

Slithy Tove
08-06-2006, 11:27 PM
the fruit easily slides off the pit rather than sticking on in a fibrous mess

You just have to ask if they're free-stone peaches. If not, then pass them up by all means.

I just don't understand how the gas grill mania sucked peaches into its sphere. I have no desire to eat a grilled peach, nectarine or any other drupe. For us purists & obscurists, "Peaches Browning" can only conjure one image: "Honk Honk. It's the Bonk!"

Antigen
08-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Fine, so a nectarine isn't "just" a fuzz-free peach. But it's a damn yummy fruit in its own right!

Any fruit that needs a shave is just weird.

Mindfield
08-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Any fruit that needs a shave is just weird.

Oh, sure. Next you'll be harping about kiwis.

Fruitist.

Rhubarb
08-07-2006, 12:43 AM
I like peaches and I like nectarines, but there good nectarines and bad nectarines. The good ones taste as good or better than peaches, but the bad ones taste like wax.

Antigen
08-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Oh, sure. Next you'll be harping about kiwis.

Fruitist.
Gah! Kiwis are even worse. Hairy testicle fruit!

GIGObuster
08-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Gah! Kiwis are even worse. Hairy testicle fruit!

Fruitist! ;)

I like them, but now you reminded me that in Central American nations they are indeed called "Monkey balls"!

kittenblue
08-07-2006, 04:01 AM
I make some nice nectarine muffins.

Trader Joe's actually had a sign up the other day saying that nectarines are just peaches without the fuzz...I thought that was strange...perhaps nectarine sales have been slow...

twickster
08-07-2006, 06:00 AM
I don't care if they are, botanically, the same thing -- nectarines are a sad, pale imitation of peaches. As BBV Lou points out, they're not squishy -- but it is the squishiness of the peach that makes it The Best Summer Fruit. A peach at the proper eating moment should be so juicy that you have to stand over the kitchen sink to eat it, and then wash your hands and face afterwards.

Unless, of course, you're moving on directly to another peach.

Mmmm, peaches.

I think I'll give the rest of the nectarines to my sidekick at work so I can go buy some real fruit.

Idlewild
08-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I've had plenty juicy nectarines. I've had trees full of both peaches and nectarines in my back yard for side by side comparison and they've both been amazing succulent sun ripened sugary squishy wonders that will run down your chin and cover you in luscious sticky fruit juice. I think you're getting lousy nectarines.

We got nectarines and plums in our fruit and veg delivery this week and I made cobbler with them last night because I don't like plums that much on their own. It was grand! (http://idle-wild.net/images/food/cobbler.jpg)

FlyingRamenMonster
08-07-2006, 07:52 AM
I prefer nectarines. You can't get good peaches here for some reason - they're all watery and don't come clean off the pit. Nectarines are firmer and sweeter (and don't taste like fuzz).

Johnny L.A.
08-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Hmm, now that you mention it, you never see canned nectarines in those little lunch-box snack cups, either.
Nectarines come from the produce department.

Peaches come from a can. They were put there by a man in a factory downtown.

Mangetout
08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
As others have said, there are peach varieties and there are nectarine varieities; some good and some not so good in both category; furthermore, there are varieties of both that don't seem so good simply because they have been picked too early or have not experienced growing conditions optimum for sweet, juicy fruit.

I'll admit though, that the 'not so good' experience does seem to happen more often with nectarines than it does with peaches; if most nectarine varities come from a single non-fuzzy-peach-sport parentage, then it may be that there is some kind of founder effect in play - i.e. maybe the peach parent of that initial variety of nectarines wasn't a great one.

LavenderBlue
08-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I make some nice nectarine muffins.

Trader Joe's actually had a sign up the other day saying that nectarines are just peaches without the fuzz...I thought that was strange...perhaps nectarine sales have been slow...

Trader Joe's is the source for my favorite summer snack: frozen peaches. One minute in the microwave and you have a cool and healthy bit of fruit heaven.

Otherwise I much prefer a good nectarine when I can find one. The ones around here always seem to come up sweeter and juicier than peaches.

zweisamkeit
08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Otherwise I much prefer a good nectarine when I can find one. The ones around here always seem to come up sweeter and juicier than peaches.

Agreed. And some people have said (one or two in this thread as well) that a peach is better because of how the juice runs down on your hands and chin.

UGH.

I fucking hate sloppy fruit. It's nasty. If I have peaches I cut it up and eat it that way.

Left Hand of Dorkness
08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I fucking hate sloppy fruit. It's nasty. If I have peaches I cut it up and eat it that way.
Bah! My wife calls me a fruit snob, because i'm so particular about the fruit that I'll eat--it's not uncommon for me to take a single bite of, say, a tangerine, and refuse to eat any more either of it or the batch it came from. Really, though, I'm more of a fruit schizophrenic. Good fruit, perfectly ripe and flavorful, is one of the great joys of life; but unripe/overripe/flavorless/overfibrous fruit is totally nasty and inedible to me. It makes me almost literally sick.

Peaches are one of the best examples of this. When a peach is crunchy, it's just revolting. There is no way I will eat a crunchy peach. Peaches should be brilliant orange and really tender; with the fuzz it should be like eating a mouse*. The juice should drip everywhere.

Last weekend I went to the farmer's market and tried several peaches, crunchy and soft, bland and flavorful, until I found the perfect variety (I think it was Hanover). I bought 25 pounds of South Carolina's best, ate a bunch of them, and peeled and sliced and froze the rest. Tomorrow morning I'll be thawing some of them to make peach pie. Tomorrow evening will be pie--yay!

Daniel

* one of the most memorable metaphors from children's literature

Best Topics: certified letter minesweepers wwii cynical songs wingstop vs bww sandwich slices no title cars just lunch seattle muriatic acid bathtub great clips supercuts straining to poop clooney beard ac fridge ammonia towels baseball citizen gifts glass iv bottle nambla members my girlfriend boob units of ksi dental tablets define limey definition outcall does asphyxiation hurt turbo key driveway rebar crocs and socks cat eats bread torn uretha ther meaning definition sultry 1000mm 1m male losing hair on legs old vs new mustang replacing ford car keys how much to pay cleaning lady does blood thinners make you feel cold list of egg puns names that sound like words what does the song la bamba mean in english things only sold in america cowboy way big chief weird sensation in ear does hot glue conduct electricity mike lablue family house fire ahora vengo mama chola mama chola how many pairs of underwear should a woman own the godfather deleted scenes d&d 5e earthbender train do not hump plumbers putty cure time best medicine for dry nose how to get an excused absence from school how much force does it take to break a neck what happens when you break your neck colder than a witches tit woody guthrie shipping up to boston shooting pain in outer ear cartilage how to make kerosene at home advil liquid gel vs tablet leaving early today email is it okay to give dogs ham calories in 1/4 cup peanuts how to make an iron sword does macaroni go bad