PDA

View Full Version : Pets named after fictional characters, the spectrum from predictable to pretentious..

Mangetout
08-28-2006, 06:09 PM
This is sort of a poll, but since it's fiction/movie-based, I think it belongs here

Pet dogs named after characters from Lord of the Rings:
Predictable: Frodo
Passable: Bilbo
Pardonable: Sauron
Pretentious: Boromir

Pet hamsters named after characters from Star Trek
Predictable: Spock
Preferred: Khaaaaaaaaaan!
Pardonable: Locutus of Borg
Pretentious: Q

AskNott
08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
There are millions of dogs named Max, but my Welsh Terrierist was registered as Maxwell Edison. Pretentious, maybe.

My present dog's previous owners named her Layla after the song Clapton wrote about his wife. She's a short dog, so if I want to see eye-to-eye with her, she's "got me on my knees."

The dog next door is named for Milo Minderbinder. Eh, passable.

A fellow down the block named his Shih Tzuh Domino, for a fortune-telling dame in a Bond novel.

A friend had a Doberman called Atouk for Ringo Starr's caveman character. Predictable.

I once knew a couple of tomcats named Solshenitzen* and Siddartha. Pretentious, but not fictitious.

*I sense I have misspelled that name. The cat didn't care, though. He couldn't read.

Steve MB
08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
We have a cat named Vir (aka Emperor Vir Catto).

jjimm
08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I had a rat called Lucretia, after the Borgia. Pretentious? Yes, I do believe so, but I was only 18. But then I called her Lucy after the character in Dracula. Predictable.

My sister had a gerbil called Greymarsh after a character in Nicholas Nickleby. You decide.

pinkfreud
08-28-2006, 07:04 PM
One of the best pets we've ever had was a big Siamese cat named Tuvix (http://mortalwombat.com/Image/Tuvix_Sink_1.jpg), after a character who appeared in a single episode of Star Trek: Voyager. The name is probably pretentious, but the cat didn't seem to mind.

Dunderman
08-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Pet dogs named after characters from Lord of the Rings:
Predictable: FrodoI used to have a budgie named Frodo. And another one named Rambo.

M. Meursault
08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Hmmm, close but not quite, my pets are named after:

Gertie (shih tzu): Gertrude Stein (passable, cause it's a cute name for the breed)
Hugo (ginger tabby): Victor Hugo (predictable)
Heloise (Jack Russell): Heloise of Abelard & Heloise fame (pretentious?)

When I told my old Medieval Lit professor that I had named my dog Heloise, her response was quite short: did you castrate her?

silenus
08-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Our cats are named:

Pixel - From RAH (predictable)

Havoc - From Harry Turtledove's Tuf Voyaging (prefered) and a twist on Shakespeare (pretentious)

Tenar
08-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Our cats are named:

Pixel - From RAH (predictable)

Havoc - From Harry Turtledove's Tuf Voyaging (prefered) and a twist on Shakespeare (pretentious)

I love your choice of cat names, however, I believe that Tuf Voyaging (a personal favorite) is by George RR Martin, not Harry Turtledove.

silenus
08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
I thought that looked wrong. And I've met George, too! :(

elfkin477
08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I sort of have a fish named Typh, named after Typhoid Mary. You see, the other goldfish Typh lived with died, so I was given him and a sucker fish about 2 months ago. The sucker fish died, then my two fish Fish and Other Fish died, then the person who gave me Typh felt bad and bought two new goldfish, both of which have since died...

I say I "sort of" have this fish because basically I'm feeding because it's alive. I'm not a fan of it, though.

Walkabout
08-28-2006, 07:32 PM
My cat is named C'nedra (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robbie3008/detail?.dir=ee62&.dnm=0546.jpg&.src=ph), after Princess Ce'Nedra in David Edding's The Belgariad. Yes, a bit pretentious, but fairly apt.

Surok
08-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I also had a Pixel cat.

She wasn't consciously named for the RAH cat - it was the combination of her very unusual colouring and the fact that I was somewhat over identifying with my IT job at the time. She got lucky with predictable, rather than pretentious.

(The current cat has a blessedly non fictional, non IT related, and I think non pretentious name).

Apart from cats:

A rat named Kay; for some reason people assumed he was named after Kay in John Masefield's The Box of Delights. This was not actually the case; I just liked the name.

Two gerbils named Geraldine and Josephine after the main character's in Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot

Mangetout
08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Just for clarity, I was aiming more for lists of rated potential pet names culled from a single work, rather than real-life examples, although the contributions so far were great anyway.

Marley23
08-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Predictable: Spock
Preferred: Khaaaaaaaaaan!
Pardonable: Locutus of Borg
Pretentious: Q
What about a dog named Starship Enterprise? My parents called their Samoyed "Star," but that was her full name. I leave it to you to decide which category that goes in. I think it's pardonable because it's cute-ly dorky.

Naming your lizard after characters from Lolita:
Predictable: Lola
Preferred: Cue
Pardonable: Humbert [pretentious, but it'd work on a lizard]
Pretentious: Vivian Darkbloom

FilmGeek
08-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Predictable: Harry
Preferred: Hagrid
Pardonable: Snape
Pretentious: um.. Dumbledore?

gonzomax
08-28-2006, 08:17 PM
My beagle is named Nordberg after the OJ character Naked Gun series .She is sweet but kept getting in trouble. Everything went wrong for her.

SmartAleq
08-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Cat Stiggs is named after one of the eponymous characters in "The Utterly Mind Roasting Summer of O.C. and Stiggs" a hilarious article in the National Lampoon circa mid '70s--it was also made into a film by Robert Altman which apparently nobody but me has ever seen.

Cat Pratchett is named after Terry Pratchett, who is not fictional--I just thought it was a cool name for a cat, especially a big ass roughneck palooka of an orange tom who will probably top 25 lbs when full grown. Truly an Unadulterated Cat.

I had a Pixel cat too--named her that trying to give her something to live up to, as she was a total 'fraidy cat. Same reasoning behind naming the scrawny mutt bred rescue pup German Shepherd Siegfried. I also had a cat named Dybbuk, which isn't so much a character as a class of beings, but it was a pretty cool name nonetheless.

My friends had cats named Cosmo and Kramer. Now they have a cat named Gary--apparently it's a Spongebob thing and the kids named him that.

silenus
08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Predictable: Greebo
Prefered: Angua
Pardonable: Gaspode
Pretentious: Horace Worblehat, B.Thau., D.M.

Rick
08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
My daughter named our dog Indiana Bones
Which I would think was predictable, but everyone seems susprised when we tell them his name.

LVBoPeep
08-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Let's see..the border collies

From Gone with the Wind, I have Rhett which is somewhat predictable except she's a she :).

Nellie is named after the song "Nellie the Elephant" about an elephant that packs her trunk and trundled off from the circus. Very few people seem to know that song and I only know it because my ex-boyfriend was a Toy Dolls fan.

Jane is named after Jane Austen.. pretentious but a very common Border Collie name.

Bess is named after Queen Elizabeth I... same as above.

The cats:

Milton is named after Milton from Office Space. I really don't like his name anymore, he's too damn cute for that name. My boyfriend calls him Fred, and I haven't admitted to him that it's a better name for him.

Wily is a named after Wile E. Coyote- not too predictable or common but doesn't matter because people try to call him Willie anyways.

They are both tabby cats, which are the only cats worth having ;).

Nonsuch
08-28-2006, 10:10 PM
My cat is named Linus. He does have a couple of blankets he's particularly fond of, but the resemblance largely stops there.

delphica
08-28-2006, 10:27 PM
The Gryff's (http://flickr.com/photos/ekuzina/227789128/) full name is Gryffindor, after ... I guess the House from Harry Potter, but you can stretch it to make it a character if you think of the cat being named after the House being named aftter Godric Gryffindor. I think Gryffindor rates as "passable." I wanted to name him Scabbers, but was voted down.

From Harry Potter (cats):

Predictable: Crookshanks
Passable: Gryffindor
Pardonable: Godric
Pretentious: Minerva (but pretentious in a good way)

The cat of my childhood was named Snoops, after the cat in The Bobbsey Twins. There is really no way you can pardon anything about naming pets after The Bobbsey Twins.

Green Bean
08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Predictable: Sebastian
Preferred: Sir Toby Belch
Passable: Lady Olivia
Pretentious: Orsino

Two gerbils named Geraldine and Josephine after the main character's in Billy Wilder's Some Like It HotNot to nitpick, but...shouldn't that be Daphne and Josephine?

WhyNot
08-28-2006, 10:57 PM
I had a neighbor growing up who did indeed name their boxer pup Rocky. :rolleyes:

My step-cat is named Irusan (http://godchecker.com/pantheon/celtic-mythology.php?deity=IRUSAN), after the Celtic King of The Cats, so that's about as pretentious as felinely possible.

His step-sister is named Tara, after the character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :D So, in her honor:

Predictable: Miss Kitty Fantastico
Passable: Ripper
Pardonable: Spike
Pretentious: Wesley Wyndham-Pryce the Fluffybutt

mobo85
08-28-2006, 11:15 PM
One of my childhood friends has a large dog named Buford Pusser. Although Pusser was a real person, he probably wouldn't have been well-known if it wasn't for the film Walking Tall.

Lucky 13
08-29-2006, 02:13 AM
My sister's (late) cat was named Caraboo after the main character in the movie Princess Caraboo. At one point we also had a Siamese cat named Sagwa after Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat by Amy Tan. He ran away after a couple of months. If we get another cat the kids will get to name it.

Pixisis
08-29-2006, 08:51 AM
My cat's name is Pixel. But he stole the name from me. It was a nickname given to me by my then BF, because of all the pixel editing I was doing for a class.

When a friend met my Pixel, he gave me "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls" to read. :)

xnylder
08-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Back in the years when my in-laws had pets (the '70s), they named them after figures from Homer. They had a cat named Telemachus and a dog named Penelope, among others. Pretentious? Sure, but pleasantly eccentric, especially considering they were living on a farm at the time.

DeVena
08-29-2006, 09:28 AM
One of my cats is named Stella (from A Streetcar Named Desire). Another is named Lucy Ricardo. Her meow sounds just like "Wahhhhhhh"!

Surok
08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Predictable: Sebastian
Preferred: Sir Toby Belch
Passable: Lady Olivia
Pretentious: Orsino

Not to nitpick, but...shouldn't that be Daphne and Josephine?

Of course. But when I was 7 years old, I was more interested in alliteration than accuracy. ;)

Carlyjay
08-29-2006, 09:37 AM
My cat's name is Clark Kent.

I did not name him.

Dinsdale
My wife named our dog Daisy.
Can you guess the fictional character?
The Bumsteads' dog!
Not exactly a huge leap, was it.

I named a previous dog Dinah - my wife was pissed when I let it slip that the inspiration was Dinah moe humm.

Heck, my kids are named after a characters in an Elvis Costello song, a comic strip, and Gone with the Wind!

VunderBob
It's only a nickname; there's a cat in my household I refer to as Audrey (real name Cassie), because as a kitten she's pester the crap out of anyone who walked into the kitchen to feed her.

The reference is to the plant in Little Shop of Horrors, "Feed me!"

badbadrubberpiggy
08-29-2006, 09:53 AM
We have rats named Emory & Oglethorpe (the Plutonians from Aqua Teen Hunger Force).

We also have a hamster named Major Tom.

Pretentious? Meh, I don't think these are - Emory & Oglethorpe sound like good ratty names even if you don't know where the names come from, so it works.

Katriona
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
We named one of our dogs Binkley, after Michael Binkley of Bloom County. We figured a shelter dog was bound to have an anxiety closet of his own.

Frelling Tralk
08-29-2006, 10:08 AM
I used to have a cat named Dobbler, after Lloyd Dobbler in Say Anything. Not literary, but meh.

RickJay
08-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Depends on the animal, doesn't it?

Friends of the family had a dog named "Worf." In context it was a hilarious name because the dog weighed about eight pounds and seven of them were hair, and its bark was this tinny little "yip!"

Shadowfyre
08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
We adopted a dog (American Eskimo) from the shelter. He was 6 years old at the time, so it was too late to change his name. His previous owners named hime Neo.

I'm guessing it was after the Keanu Reeves character in 'The Matrix', but I suppose it could have been what they called him when they first got him, as in neo or new.

When he has been a bad boy, I will look at him sternly and, in my best Hugo Weaving voice, address him as "Mr. Anderson"

So, let's see:
Predictable: Neo
Preferred: Morpheus (though that might be a little weird for a little white dog)
Passable: Mr Anderson
Pretentious: The Architect

Though when you throw 5 bones at him at once, time slows down, the bones leave little trails through the air and he is able to catch all of them in a rather non-chalant way.

melondeca
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Out of my six cats, only two are named after fictional characters. Norman Bates was named so because as a kitten he was completely psycho and Bast has a face very similar to the statues of the same name.

Guinastasia
08-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Of my cats, the only one I can think of is Gypsy, who was named after one of the 'bots on MST3K.

I do have a Buffy, (Gypsy's litter mate), but I chose that because she's orange (buff-colored). My sister's the Buffy fan in our family.

Otto
08-29-2006, 11:25 AM
I say I "sort of" have this fish because basically I'm feeding because it's alive. I'm not a fan of it, though.
Heh heh. I used to have a houseplant I felt the same way about. sickly little stick with five leaves on it, I used to wish it would die but I felt bad about letting it die. Now it's this enormous bushlike thing that's taken over a good portion of a room. Hope your fish doesn't behave likewise.

The only pets I had named after other things were two dogs named George (the first named after Curious George, the second named after the first) and my late lamented snake Boots (named after, well, boots plus, you know, no feet on a snake). My current cats are named Etta Louise and Archibald No'count, because there's no accounting for him, Archy for short. Not sure where those all fall on the continuum.

JThunder
08-29-2006, 11:58 AM

I once had a hamster named "Tribble."

Labtrash
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
My Black Lab is named Morgana.

My Yellow Lab is named Willow.

Witches, they are...

WhyNot
08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
I sort of have a fish named Typh, named after Typhoid Mary. You see, the other goldfish Typh lived with died, so I was given him and a sucker fish about 2 months ago. The sucker fish died, then my two fish Fish and Other Fish died, then the person who gave me Typh felt bad and bought two new goldfish, both of which have since died...

You do realize Typh will live to be 104, right?

I had an African Clawed Frog (those cute little aquatic guys) who was the wrong species - instead of being one of the quarter-sized frogs, he was about 3 inches across, and 6 or 7 when all stretched out. He act everyone else in my tank, including aggressive fish and all his littermates podmates schoolmates brothers and sisters. Damn thing lived for four years before I finally found someone to give him to. I stopped feeding him around year three, but I guess there was enough gunk in his tank for him to live off of. Monster frog.

WhyNot
08-29-2006, 12:06 PM
He act everyone else in my tank,
*sigh* ATE. He ATE everyone else in my tank.

And I don't think he ever had a name, come to think of it....

mlerose
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
One of our cats is named Petra, after Petra Arkanian in Ender's Game.

Predictable: Ender
Preferred: Hot Soup
Passable: Bean
Pretentious: Bonzo Madrid or Mazer Rackham

drachillix
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Depends on the animal, doesn't it?

Friends of the family had a dog named "Worf." In context it was a hilarious name because the dog weighed about eight pounds and seven of them were hair, and its bark was this tinny little "yip!"

I have always wanted to get a horde of chihuahuas and name them all the most evil and or all powerful sounding names I could find.

Zeus
Apollo
Asmodeous
Nicodemus
Thor
Ragnarok

Either that or name them after Clan battlemech designs and train them to hunt in groups of five.

Then I would have to have one reddish/rust colored female and name her Natasha Kerensky to fill out the picture.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
My cats have literary names, but they are not all named after any character in particular. They are:

Sasha- like the name
Emma- like the name and also Madame Bovary
Damon- Damon Runyon
Otto- like the name
Abigail- like the name (maybe for Abigail Adams)
Jackson- like the name

Jackson, Emma and Abigail are names I would give to children if I had them.

Marley23
08-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Pretentious? Meh, I don't think these are - Emory & Oglethorpe sound like good ratty names even if you don't know where the names come from, so it works.
They're good rat names, but it does sound pretentious if you know that Emory and Oglethorpe are the names of colleges in Georgia.

FlightlessBird
08-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Here's the Firefly edition:

Predictable: Malcolm
Preferred: Jayne or Wash
Passable: Kaylee
Pretentious: Sinhon

Meet Malcolm (http://dogster.com/?223652)
He's a browncoat, a thief and a scoundrel. And I call him Mal. When he's bad I mutter, "it means bad".

Velma
08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
The Simpsons: (has lots of good options for animal pairs)

Predictable: Santa's Little Helper or Snowball
Preferred: Kang and Kodos, or Burns and Smithers if there's a Dom/Sub relationship
Passable: Lenny and Carl for males, Patty and Selma for females
Pretentious: Jeff Albertson and Agnes Skinner

My own dog is named Rory Calhoun from the 2 dozen and one greyhounds episode, and she is always standing and walking. It's obscure if not pretentious.

scule
08-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Back in the years when my in-laws had pets (the '70s), they named them after figures from Homer. They had a cat named Telemachus and a dog named Penelope, among others. Pretentious? Sure, but pleasantly eccentric, especially considering they were living on a farm at the time.

Funny, because that's the first thing I thought of when reading the OP:

From the Illiad

Predictable: Achilles
Preferred: Paris
Passable: Hector
Pretentious: Agamemnon

Jophiel
08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
I used to own two fire-bellied newts named Behemoth and Leviathan after the Biblical beasts of myth.

I guess that counts as pretentious. Or at least severe delusions of grandeur.

JacobSwan
08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
We have three hens called Snap, Crackle and Pop.
Until last night we had a goldfish called Gordon, because he was originally Brown. The two others we got at the same time were called Tony and Cherie. As Ben Elton would say: 'a little bit of politics there'
Last night my 7 year old decided to be helpful and wash the castle in the tank without telling us. He gave it a good scrub with washing up liquid and didn't rinse it properly. 30 mins later we had 6 dead fish with bubbles coming out of their mouths.

FlightlessBird
08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Last night my 7 year old decided to be helpful and wash the castle in the tank without telling us. He gave it a good scrub with washing up liquid and didn't rinse it properly. 30 mins later we had 6 dead fish with bubbles coming out of their mouths. That's the plotline for a Full House episode I just watched with my 6yr old niece. You can rest easy; in the end, little Mary Kate/Ashley learned a valuable lesson. :)

Stinkum
08-30-2006, 12:47 AM
I had a hamster named Hamlet. Strange little thing . . . he'd sit up on his Habitrail tower and brood all day.

Rubystreak
08-30-2006, 05:30 AM
I had a hamster named Hamlet. Strange little thing . . . he'd sit up on his Habitrail tower and brood all day.

Predictable: Hamlet
Passable: Ophelia
Preferred: Horatio
Pretentious: Rosencrantz or Guildenstern, I can never tell them apart

AndLuna
08-30-2006, 06:19 AM

Heh. So did I. He died. (Really. And then I got another and named it Macbeth. He lasted a little longer.)

I suppose you could do a Shakespearean-tragic-heroes set.

Predictable: Hamlet
Passable: Romeo
Pardonable: Othello
Pretentious: Titus Andronicus

astorian
08-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Years ago, when I was more heavily into mysteries, I had a cockatiel named Sherlock and two rabbits named Fletch and Miss Marple.

Today, I have one dog. The shelter where I adopted her was calling her Holly, and since it was just before Christmas, that seemed an appropriate name.

So, I guess I'm over the detective phase.

saoirse
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
I used to have a hygenically-challenged cat named Uncle Fester. My kids' current cat is Space Ghost.

Predictable: Brak
Passable: Zorak
Preferred: Space Ghost
Pretentious: Either every possibilty is pretentious, or none of them are. I still haven't figured that out.

BluePitbull
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
I had a neighbor growing up who did indeed name their boxer pup Rocky. :rolleyes:

Seems like a good name to me. A pun on boxer, tough sounding name for a tough looking dog, I don't see a problem with it.

wonky
08-30-2006, 11:00 AM
The only fictional character name we used is Ichabod.

I don't know if that's pretentious, but it's fun to say. Ichabod Ichabod Ichabod.

The rest of our cats are named for people.

wonky
08-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Damn. I forgot to mention that I know of people who named their whippet "Devo." Still not fictional, but it makes me giggle.

WhyNot
08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Seems like a good name to me. A pun on boxer, tough sounding name for a tough looking dog, I don't see a problem with it.
Not a problem at all, just utterly predictable, as per the thread title. I've known at least four boxers named Rocky since. Three of them were canine. ;)

mobo85
09-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Predictable: Strong Bad
Passable: Senor Cardgage
Preferred: Homestar
Pretentious: Lem Sportsinterviews

Miller
09-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Funny, because that's the first thing I thought of when reading the OP:

From the Illiad

Predictable: Achilles
Preferred: Paris
Passable: Hector
Pretentious: Agamemnon

I named my dog, a border collie-pyranese mix, Ajax. I was aiming for pretentious, but everyone just thinks I named him after the cleanser.

lobstermobster
09-02-2006, 12:02 AM
My dog's name is Ignatius from A Confederacy of Dunces I don't know how pretentious that is. I got him in New Orleans when I was at Tulane.

ddgryphon
09-02-2006, 12:33 AM
I had a cat when I was in High School named Virgil Tibbs (we called him Virgil, but sometimes, we'd call him Mr. Tibbs) -- why, because he was one cool cat.

Currently we have a cat named Koriand'r after Starfire from the Teen Titans.

When I was but a wee lad, I had a cat named Thomasina after a cat in a Disney show.

Also, when a wee one, I had a toy tractor that I rode around on named Bullet (After Roy Rodgers Dog -- it seems I had te dog and horse's name backwards, should have told them something right then).

A dog named Duke after the Clampett's dog Duke.

We had a large Lop bunny named Bigwig.

My daughter named a cat Ariel after the little Mermaid I think because said cat tended to jump in the bathtub with my daughter and play.

I have a friend who names almost all of her cats in some way regarding fiction or history she reads:

Lex Luthor, evil kitty genius -- who was introduced that way consistently
Indy
Alex P. Kitten (pun on Alex P. Keaton)
Shadowfax
Wickett
Starbuck
Eliot (E.T.)
Oh, and she has a dog named I'chia after Spock's childhood pet (mentioned only, AFAIK, on the animated series)

That's all off the top.

GrizzRich
09-02-2006, 02:40 AM
My best friend and I were Civil War reenactors. Confederate, of course!
He had a cat named General Pierre Gustave Toutant-Beauregard.
"Beau" for short.

Pretentious? Oh yes.
Because Beau was a Maine Coon.

[southern accent]
A YANK-KAH!?
[/southern accent]

Denis
09-02-2006, 03:20 AM
I have an orange tabby named Otis Redding.

Except when he maniacally charges around in the morning and at dusk, he just sits on the dock of the bay.

Tenar
09-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I had a cat named "Starbuck," as in Mr. Starbuck from Moby Dick. (Pretentious, but he looked like a nautical cat to me.)

Everybody assumed he was named after the coffee chain. (Predictable enough, I suppose!)

(Nobody thought he was named after the Battlestar Galactica character, oddly enough.)

Larry Borgia
09-02-2006, 06:17 PM
One of my cats is named Bottom, after the character in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Then she turned out to be female, so now it just sounds sexist. But the name stuck.

MadTheSwine
09-02-2006, 07:54 PM
I have 2 cats
Xena,The Warrior Kitty
Mister Mistoffolees named after a character in the musical Cats.
Other cats Ive had
Flash named after the Queen song.
Blue Duck fom a character in Lonesome Dove.
Not fictional but had 3 others named Brian Roger and Freddie named in honor of the band Queen(sorry John)

Mapache
09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I had two Labradors when I lived in Ecuador, named Johann Sebastian Bark and Woofgang Amadeus Mozart. Beat that for pretentious.

Cowgirl Jules
09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
My cat's name is Jekyll, as in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's probably fairly high on the pretentious scale, but since he's actually called Booger more often than not, I find that he's pretty humble about it.

jackelope
09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
She died a few years ago, but I had a dog named Zeke after this cartoon (http://bama.ua.edu/~sprentic/672%20Far%20Side-social%20influence.jpg). (Note to self: Do not ever give a pet a sexually misleading name again.)

Now my wife and I have a girl-cat named Bean. Bean had a brother named Barley, but he got run over about ten years ago. I think Bean and Barley are from a poem of some kind? Not sure. I know there's a famous haiku by Basho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsuo_Bash%C5%8D) about a cat "who lives on love and barley," but I don't think that's it.

Baker
09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
I have a cat named Tobermory, after the cat in the short story by H.H. Munro(Saki).

I'm glad he doesn't have the "cattitude" that the original did.

Tamerlane
09-03-2006, 12:17 AM
I had a rat called Lucretia, after the Borgia. Pretentious? Yes, I do believe so, but I was only 18.

I just got two kittens. The first was a stray I got a few weeks ago and having been re-reading a book on the English Civil War recently I named him Prince Rupert ( aka "Rupert" ), who I always found to be kind of a fascinating character. Among a number of contributing factors was that said kitten had showed up where he was found trailing after a neighbor's dog. I therefore wanted a dog association in there somewhere and Prince Rupert of the Rhine was notorious for his poodle Boye ( some superstitious Roundheads considered it a witch's familiar ). Also, he just looked like the sort of kitten that'd be into mezzotint engraving :cool: .

The need to get him a companion to keep him company and wear him out ( he's an inexhaustible ball of energy, like most kittens ) led me to adopt a friend for him the other day. Needless to say I had to name him Oliver Cromwell ( aka "Ollie" ). He's jet black and looks more than evil enough to have oppressed milions of Irish Catholics in a former life ;).

I'm 38. No excuses for my pretension :p.

- Tamerlane

Kyla
09-03-2006, 07:02 AM
My cat is Max, after the little boy in Where the Wild Things Are, because he enjoys the wild rumpus so much. I don't think naming your cat after a children's book character is too pretentious, is it?

NoCoolUserName
09-04-2006, 10:57 PM
We named our new dog Lola, because she was a showgirl (actually, her parents were both world-class showdogs, she's never even been in a show). We call her "Lo" often, and it cracks me up when my daughters greet her with "Hi, Lo!" And even more when she's chasing the local fox and they yell "Run, Lola, Run! (http://imdb.com/title/tt0130827/)" They can all sing the Kinks' song, too.

I'd consider this not Predictable, or Pretentious, but either Passable or Pardonable.

To meet the intentions of the OP (I'm thinking cat names, for some reason):

Predictable: Louis Wu
Passable: Speaker (to Animals) :)
Pardonable: Beowulf
Pretentious: Tnuctipun

I wanted to use Gumdidgy swamp thing, but didn't know how to spell it.

Boulter's Canary
09-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Not fictional characters and meaningless to most Americans, but I have two budgies named Cheep and Chips. I didn't name them - though I did name my cockatiel Spike after Spike Milligan.

koeeoaddi
09-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I just lost a cat named Verbal and if I ever get another dog I plan to call her Mrs. Danvers (or Fido, quite possibly my favorite dog name).

A 5, 9 and .01 on the Pretenitometer, respectively.

AtomicDog
07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
I had a chihuahua once named I'Chaya, after Mr. Spock's childhood pet Sehlat.

Best Topics: escorts message board bleach spray bottle break firestick cocaine taste proflowers delivery time shipping to norway cabin boy duties bloom county offensensitivity fraiser cheers idn message board swallowing glass shards heavens gatekeeper radiator hissing missouri dealer plates bruised ovaries huge bed room aphid droppings dragging a lake non filter cigarettes digestive efficiency freebasing caffeine replace airbag cost chicks for free increasing nipple sensitivity conservative bands pink floyd whale pronounce general tso rectangle in 3d square root pi kujira whale photocopy pictures is textbooks.com reliable plastic explosive unlockriver com little shop of horrors performance rights melissa peterman weight loss reba what cars do doctors drive how does a broken neck kill you poison ivy on dick falling in love with a prostitute confucius say man with hole in pocket computer science vs engineering difficulty wedding gifts for sister and brother in law a shot of whiskey north and south john jakes living in a commercial property how to remove caulk from vinyl siding do owls eat rabbits how long can osb be exposed to weather do monkeys eat banana peels last words in brokeback mountain what happens if a write in candidate wins how to throw your voice how to get creases out of flags why do blankets keep you warm why do people have gold teeth 2003 bmw 325xi oil type carl on good times mosin nagant history by serial number what is a guero tea candle heater myth how do cats learn to use litter box will my breast shrink after pregnancy ben hur galley slave is bag balm good for eczema i don't care it's going up his ass theme from all in the family priority mail vs parcel select ups destination scan but not out for delivery