PDA

View Full Version : Remember when songs (had half the title in parentheses?)

Johanna
09-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Somehow this phenomenon was limited to the second half of the Sixties (and the first half of the Seventies). Suddenly it seemed everyone was doing it (then pretty soon it got old). If done now, it would look kind of retro.

There were two types:
Parentheses in front
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - the earliest parentheseed song title I can think of--was it the inspiration for the others?
"(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman"

or parentheses in back
"I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
"The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)"

Leechboy
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
or Elton John's excretable I Don't Wanna Go On With You (Like That)

RealityChuck
09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
The convention predates the stones by quite a bit. "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in his Kiss)" was originally released by Betty Everett in 1964 -- "Satisfaction" came out in 1965. Bob Dylan did "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" live in '64, too, and it was on record before the Stones.

From 1958, there was Domenico Modugno's #1 hit ""Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)," though everyone just referred to it at "Volare."

From Kiss Me Kate in 1948, there was "Always True to You (In My Fashion)."

Bing Crosby did "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's an Irish Lullaby)"

From the Harry Warren (http://harrywarren.org) website, I could at least 20 by the time I get to the letter "F" in his alphabetical listing. The dates on these go back to 1924.

He wasn't the first -- lots of sheet music from the turn of the century had subtitles in parentheses. The Library of Congress (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/sm2html/sm2great2.html) lists the song "Clare de Kitchen [or, De Kentucky Screamer]" from 1835.

Autumn Almanac
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
My favorite superfluous use of parentheses may be the Kinks' "(A) Face in the Crowd."

kelly5078
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
From 1958, there was Domenico Modugno's #1 hit ""Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)," though everyone just referred to it at "Volare."I wonder why.

Exapno Mapcase
09-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Currently on the Billboard charts (http://billboard.com/bbcom/index.jsp) (none lower than the top 50):

30 Seconds To Mars "The Kill (Bury Me) "

Sean Paul Feat. Keyshia Cole "(When You Gonna) Give It Up To Me"

The Fray "Over My Head (Cable Car)"

Rodney Atkins "If You're Going Through Hell (Before The Devil Even Knows)"

Nava
09-06-2006, 11:12 AM
From 1958, there was Domenico Modugno's #1 hit ""Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)," though everyone just referred to it at "Volare."

This may be a legend, but I was told that the original title for that one was Nel Blu, Dipinto di Blu - the publishers added the Volare when they realized that's what every DJ and his mom was calling the song anyway.

I've seen some interviews with different people who claim similar stories: the part in parenthesis is what they had called the song, the part outside is what everybody they'd run it through was calling it.

RealityChuck
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
That makes sense. It was a big hit in Italy and probably was called "Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu" over there.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Five For Fighting's Superman (It's Not Easy) continues this tradition.

gigi
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Jim Steinman may be the king of this, since he is the king of long operatic titles:

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)
I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)
Out of the Frying Pan (And Into the Fire)
Good Girls Go to Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere)
I'd Lie for You (And That's the Truth)
Making Love (Out of Nothing At All)
Original Sin (The Natives Are Restless Tonight)
Total Eclipse of the Heart (Radio Version) ;) j/k

An Arky
09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I have a song that has not one, but two sets of parenthetical phrases, called (Come And) Worship Satan (With Me), kind of a twisted Up With People thing. If could ever be arsed to record, maybe I can be in the record books for that. :o

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
09-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Chixdiggit had a triple set on their debut album:

[I Feel Like][Gerry]Cheevers[Stitch Marks On My Heart]

GargoyleWB
09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I never understood for many years why the (reprise) in all of those song titles never made it into the lyrics of the song...

...then I had a :smack: moment

mobo85
09-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)- Green Day

brendon_small
09-06-2006, 08:56 PM
One of my favorites...
Say Anything (Else) - Cartel

Fugazi
09-06-2006, 09:30 PM
From Tool's latest:

10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) ... which may not count since it's a part 2, but also:

Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)

Monty
09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Glad to see this thread. My ignorance on this matter has been eradicated. (I) thought it was for an alternate name for the song!

elfkin477
09-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I've got these on my computer, and I don't think any of them are from the 60s:

Anna Nalick - Breathe (2 AM)
Brendan Benson - Cold Hands (Warm Heart)
Bush - The People That We Love (Speed Kills)
Broken Social Scene - 7/4 (Shoreline)
Butch Walker - Bethamphetamine (Pretty Pretty)
Calexico - Quattro (World Drifts In)
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
En Vogue - Don't Let Go (love)
Evans Blue - Cold (But I'm Still Here)
Fuel - Hemorrhage (In My Hands)
Heidi - People (we hate)
Idlewild - (I Am) What I Am Not
Jonathon Edward - Sunshine (Go Away Today)
Kidney Thieves - S+M(a Love Song)
My Chemical Romance - Im Not Ok(I Promise)
Nine Days - Absolutely (Story Of A Girl)
Omnisoul - Waiting (Save Your Life)
Orgy - Fiction (Dreaming In Digital)
POD - Rock the Party (Off The Hook)
Possum Dixon - Holding (Lenny's Song)
Radford - Therapy (I Don't Need You)
Scream OST - Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly)
Silverchair - Ana's Song (Open Fire)
Texas - Like Lovers (Holding On)
The Mars Volta - The Widow (Never Sleep Alone)
The Offspring - (Can't Get My) Head Around You
The Used - I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes)
Tori Amos - Black Dove (January)

devilsknew
09-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Looking Glass- Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)

World Party- Making Love (To The World)

World Party- It Can Be Beautiful (Sometimes)

devilsknew
09-07-2006, 03:01 AM
Fang- Fistfull Of Wicked Women (On The Bathroom Floor)

bienville
09-07-2006, 03:54 AM
I was quite proud of myself when I finally wrote a song for which parentheses were appropriate!

(Don't Fall in Love with) the Cute Girl on the Stage

When I write out a set list for the band, it gets cut to "Cute Girl".

You can find it on My MySpace Page (http://myspace.com/sexysexyjoelavelle) but I couldn't fill in the whole title- it's listed as "Cute Girl on the St . . ."

Johanna
09-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Bob Dylan did "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" live in '64, too, and it was on record before the Stones.Of course... and wouldn't you know, just the other day I posted that exact song title in another CS thread. :smack: i get a smackie to the faceHe wasn't the first -- lots of sheet music from the turn of the century had subtitles in parentheses. The Library of Congress lists the song "Clare de Kitchen [or, De Kentucky Screamer]" from 1835.No... that's different... As a professional library cataloger, this is something I know about. Those aren't parentheses, which my cataloging professor in library school called "curves." Those are square brackets. They have a specific meaning in the title field of a library catalog record: they enclose data that are not found on the item being cataloged, but were supplied by the cataloger from an external source.

Punctuation in library cataloging is very exact; each punctuation mark conveys specific information. They had to develop a highly compressed symbolic system for conveying maximum information in minimum low-tech space, back in the days of 3x5 catalog cards. Nowadays, of course, library catalog records have morphed into highly formatted web pages, with links to other web pages, and the amount of information storage in a given record is theoretically unlimited.

In the example "or, De Kentucky Screamer" you gave, "or" followed by a comma is used for what catalogers call the alternative title. Those were more popular in the Victorian era. Like (making up a faux-Victorian example) Henrietta; or, Virtue Outraged.

Alternative titles are sort of analogous to the parentheseed partial titles of songs, but not exactly the same.

Johanna
09-07-2006, 11:50 AM
My favorite superfluous use of parentheses may be the Kinks' "(A) Face in the Crowd."
That's hilarious. It would be even funnier if the parenthesization were reversed.

AndyPolley
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
So where does Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief (The Gloaming)" CD rate in this discussion. Every track (including the CD title itself) has a parenthetical title.

1. "2 + 2 = 5 (The Lukewarm.)"
2. "Sit Down, Stand Up. (Snakes & Ladders.)"
3. "Sail to the Moon. (Brush the Cobwebs out of the Sky.)"
4. "Backdrifts. (Honeymoon is Over.)"
5. "Go to Sleep. (Little Man being Erased.)"
6. "Where I End and You Begin. (The Sky is Falling in.)"
7. "We suck Young Blood. (Your Time is up.)"
8. "The Gloaming. (Softly Open our Mouths in the Cold.)"
9. "There There. (The Boney King of Nowhere.)"
10. "I Will. (No man's Land.)"
11. "A Punchup at a Wedding. (No no no no no no no no.)"
12. "Myxomatosis. (Judge, Jury & Executioner.)"
13. "Scatterbrain. (As Dead as Leaves.)"
14. "A Wolf at the Door. (It Girl. Rag Doll.)"

jsc1953
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
This thread has presented the opportunity to list one of the best titles of all time, Sly & The Family Stone's Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

AskNott
09-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I always figured it was because there was already a song by the same name, so the parenthetical phrase cleared that up.

By the way, is there any other Italian song about two cars other than Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu) ? ;)

biqu
09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Not a song, but rather an album title: (What's the Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis. The title track is just called Morning Glory, so it doesn't fit the exact criteria of the OP.

Nonsuch
09-07-2006, 09:51 PM
John Lennon's "This Bird Has Flown" eventually became "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)." Probably a good example of "They're going to call it 'Norwegian Wood' anyway" post-hoc thinking.

Skott
09-08-2006, 03:17 AM
Glad to see this thread. My ignorance on this matter has been eradicated. (I) thought it was for an alternate name for the song!
It sometimes can be, though. Rupert Holmes was persuaded to rename his song "Escape" to "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)", which, apparently, helped it sell a lot more.

Rico
09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
You guys missed the classic B.J. Thomas song:

(Hey Won't You Play Another) Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song.

Rico
09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
And I just thought of another one. Sheena Easton's 1981 hit:

Morning Train (9 to 5)

The original title was 9 to 5, but before they could release it Dolly Parton released her song 9 to 5 from the movie. So they took a line from the song and made it the title with the original title in parentheses.

robardin
09-08-2006, 05:45 PM
How about the band with the name Was (Not Was)? (You know... "I walked the dinosaur... Boom, boom, aka-laka-laka-boom"... Those guys.)

42fish
09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
And I just thought of another one. Sheena Easton's 1981 hit:

Morning Train (9 to 5)

The original title was 9 to 5, but before they could release it Dolly Parton released her song 9 to 5 from the movie. So they took a line from the song and made it the title with the original title in parentheses.

Similarly, T. Rex's "Get It On," which became "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" in the US to avoid confusion with the Top 30 hit "Get It On" by the jazz-rock band Chase.

42fish
09-09-2006, 02:19 PM
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - the earliest parentheseed song title I can think of--was it the inspiration for the others?

Some parentheiszed songs that pre-date "Satisfaction":

"O-H-I-O (O-My!-O!)," Al Jolson (1921)
"Toot, Toot, Tootsie! (G'Bye)," Al Jolson (1923)
"Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue (Has Anybody Seen My Girl)" Gene Austin (1926)
"Gimme A Little Kiss (Will Ya, Huh?)," Jack 'The Whispering Baritone' Smith (1926)
"Valencia (A Song of Spain)," Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra (1926)
"In a Little Spanish Town ('Twas on a Night Like This)," Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra (1927)
"At Sundown (When Love Is Calling Me Home)," Gene Olsen (1927)
"The Man from the South (With the Big Cigar in His Mouth)," Ted Weems & His Orchestra (1930)
"Stein Song (University of Maine)," Rudy Vallee (1930)
"Minnie the Moocher (The Hi-De-Ho Song)," Cab Calloway (1931)
"(There Ought To Be A) Moonlight Savings Time," Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians (1931)
"I Found a Million Dollar Baby (In a Five and Ten Cent Store)," Fred Waring's Pennsylvanians (1931)
"East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)," Tom Coakley & His Orchestra (1935)
"With Plenty of Money and You (Oh! Baby What I Couldn't Do)," Henry Busse & His Orchestra (1937)
"(You Know It All) Smarty," Fats Waller (1937)
"Bob White (Whatcha Gonna Swing Tonight?)," Bing Crosby & Connie Boswell (1937)
"Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen (Means That You're Grand)," The Andrews Sisters (1938)
"I Won't Tell A Soul (I Love You)," Andy Kirk & His Clouds of Joy (1938)
"Wishing (Will Make It So)," Glen Miller & His Orchestra (1939)
"Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear to Tread)," Glen Miller & His Orchestra (1940)
"We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)," The Ink Spots (1940)
"The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)," Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra featuring Frank Sinatra and the Pied Pipers(1940)
"Amapola (Pretty Little Poppy)," Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra (1941)
"Green Eyes (Aquellos Ojos Verde)," Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra (1941)
"The Hut-Hut Song (A Swedish Seranade)," Freddy Martin & His Orchestra/Horace Heidt and His Musical Knights/The Merry Macs (1941)
"(I'll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time," The Andrews Sisters (1941)
"You Made Me Love You (I Didn't Want to Do It)," Harry James & His Orchestra (1941)
"Perfidia (Tonight)." Benny Goodman/Gene Krupa/Jimmy Dorsey (1941)
"Until Tomorrow (Goodnight My Love)," Sammy Kaye with the Three Kadets (1941)
"(I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo," Glen Miller & His Orchestra (1942)
"Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me)," Glen Miller (1942)
"(There'll Be Blue Birds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover," Glen Miller (1942)
"When the Lights Go On Again (All Over the World)," Vaughn Monroe (1942)
"Blues in the Night (My Mamma Done Tol' Me)," Woody Herman/Jimmie Lunceford (1942)
"I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)," Duke Ellington (1942)
"I Cried For You (Now It's Your Turn to Cry For Me)," Harry James & His Orchestra with Helen Forrest (1942)
"(As Long As You're Not in Love with Anyone Else) Why Don't You Fall in Love with Me?" Dinah Shore (1943)
"Don't Get Aound Much Anymore (Never No Lament)," Duke Ellington (1943)
"Besame Mucho (Kiss Me Much)," Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra (1944)
"(There'll Be A) Hot Time in the Town of Berlin (When the Yanks Go Marching In)," Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters (1944)
"Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (Ma Baby)," Louis Jordan and His Tympani Five (1944)
"Long Ago (And Far Away)," Helen Forrest and Dick Haymes/Bing Crosby/Perry Como (1944)
"Dance with a Dolly (With a Hole in Her Stockin')," Russ Morgan (1944)
"Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's An Irish Lullaby)," Bing Crosby (1944)
"I'll Get By (As Long As I Have You)," The Ink Spots (1944)
"It Must Be Jelly (Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That)," Glen Miller (1944)
"Cleanin' My Rifle (And Dreamin' of You)," Lawrence Welk & His Orchestra (1944)
"For the First Time (I've Fallen in Love)," Dick Haymes (1944)
"Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night of the Week)," Frank Sinatra (1945)
"Nancy (With the Laughing Face)," Frank Sinatra (1945)
"I'm Gonna Love That Gal (Like She's Never Been Loved Before)," Perry Como (1945)
"I Dream of You (More Than You Dream I Do)," Tommy Dorsey (1945)
"Yah-Ta-Ta Yah-Ta-Ta (Talk, Talk, Talk)," Bing Crosby and Judy Garland (1945)
"(Yip Yip De Hootie) My Baby Said Yes," Bing Crosby & Louis Jordan (1945)
"(Did You Ever Get) That Feeling in the Moonlight," Perry Como (1945)
"I'll Be Walking with My Honey (Soon, Soon, Soon)," Sammy Kaye (1945)
"(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons," The Nat King Cole Trio (1946)
"You Call It Madness (But I Call It Love)," The Nat King Cole Trio (1946)
"(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66," The Nat King Cole Trio (1946)
"You Won't Be Satisfied (Until You Break My Heart)," Les Brown and His Band of Renown with Doris Day (1946)
"Laughing on the Outside (Crying on the Inside)," Dinah Shore (1946)
"Dig You Later (A Hubba-Hubba-Hubba)," Perry Como (1946)
"The Coffee Song (They've Got an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazil)," Frank Sinatra (1946)
"Stone Cold Dead in the Market (He Had It Coming)," Ella Fitzgerlad and Louis Jordan (1946)
"Money Is the Root of All Evil (Take It Away, Take It Away, Take It Away)," The Andrews Sisters and Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians (1946)
"Hawaiian War Chant (Ta-Hu-Wa-Hu-Wai)," Spike Jones & His Wacky Waikakians(1946)
"Cement Mixer (Put-Ti Put-Ti)," The Slim Gaillard Trio (1946)
"Ugly Chile (You're Some Pretty Doll)," Johnny Mercer (1946)
"Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)," Tex Williams (1947)
"Chi-Baba Chi-Baba (My Bambino Go to Sleep)," Perry Como (1947)
"The Too Fat Polka (I Don't Want Her) (You Can Have Her) (She's Too Fat for Me)," Arthur Godfrey (1947)
"Civilization (Bongo, Bongo, Bongo)," Danny Kaye and the Andrews Sisters (1947)
"I Ain't Mad at You (You Ain't Mad at Me)," Count Basie (1947)
"Save the Bones for Henry Jones (Cause Henry Don't Eat No Meat),"Johnny Mercer and the Nat King Cole Trio (1947)
"Manana (Is Soon Enough for Me)," Peggy Lee (1948)
"Now Is the Hour (Maori Farewell Song)," Bing Crosby (1948)
"All I Want for Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)," Spike Jones and His City Slickers (1948)
"Serutan Yob (A Song for Backwards Boys and Girls Under 40)," Red Ingle and the Unnatural Seven (1948)
"Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long, Long Way)," Eddy Arnold (1948)
"A Heartful of Love (For a Handful of Kisses)," Eddy Arnold (1948)
"Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend)," Vaughn Monroe (1949)
"Powder Your Face with Sunshine (Smile! Smile! Smile!)," Evelyn Knight/Dean Martin (1949)
"Don't Cry Joe (Let Her Go, Let Her Go, Let Her Go)," Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra (1949)
"Someday (You'll Want Me to Want You)," The Mills Brothers (1949)
"The Pussy Cat Song (Nyow! Nyot Nyow!)," Patti Andrews & Bob Crosby (1949)
"I've Been Waiting for Your Phone Call for Eighteen Years (Maybe You Don't Love Me Anymore)," Beatrice Kay (1949)
"(If I Knew You Were Coming) I'd've Baked a Cake," Eileen Barton (1950)
"All My Love (Bolero)," Patti Page (1950)
"Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)," Paul Weston/The Mills Brothers (1950)
"Sam's Song (The Happy Tune)," Gary & Bing Crosby (1950)
"Can Anyone Explain (No, No, No)," The Ames Brothers (1950)
"Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)," Guy Lombardo (1950)
"The Red We Want Is the Red We've Got (In the Old Red, White and Blue)," Ralph Flanagan (1950)
"I Said My Pajamas (And Put On My Pray'rs)," Ray Bolger and Ethel Merman (1950)
"(Why Did I Tell You I Was Going To) Shanghai," Doris Day (1951)
"These Things I Offer You (For a Lifetime)," Sarah Vaughn (1951)
"(It's No) Sin," The Four Knights (1951)
"I'll Hold You in My Heart ('Til I Can Hold You in My Arms)," Eddie Fisher (1951)
"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)," Hank Williams/Guy Mitchell (1951)
"High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)," Frankie Laine (1952)
"Jambalaya (On the Bayou)," Hank Williams (1952)
"Be Anything (But Me Mine)," Peggy Lee and Gordon Jenkins (1952)
"Vaya Con Dios (May God Be with You)," Les Paul and Mary Ford (1953)
"The Song from the Moulin Rouge (Where Is Your Heart)," Percy Faith & His Orchestra (1953)
"C'est Si Bon (It's So Good)," Eartha Kitt (1953)
"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," The Four Lads (1953)
"Mama (He Treats Your Daughter Mean)," Ruth Brown (1953)
"Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)," Eddie Fisher (1954)
"(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock," Bill Haley and the Comets (1955)
"Dim, Dim The Lights (I Want Some Atmosphere)," Bill Haley and the Comets (1955)
"Earth Angel (Will You Be Mine)," The Penguins (1955)
"Ko Ko Mo (I Love You So)," Gene and Eunice/Perry Como (1955)
"Only You (And You Alone)," The Platters (1955)
"Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom)," Perry Como (1956)
"Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)," Doris Day (1956)
"(How Little It Matters) How Little We Know," Frank Sinatra (1956)
"Anyway You Want Me (That's How I Will Be)," Elvis Presley (1956)
"(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear," Elvis Presley (1957)
"A White Sport Coat (And a Pink Carnation)," Marty Robbins (1957)
"Banana Boat (Day-O)," Harry Belafonte (1957)
"Start Movin' (In My Direction)," Sal Mineo (1957)
"Wun'erful, Wun'erful (Sides Uh-One and Uh-Two)," Stan Freberg (1957)
"Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)," Domenico Modungo (1958)
"He's Got the Whole World (In His Hands)," Laurie London (1958)
"26 Miles (Santa Catalina)," The Four Preps (1958)
"Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)," Edd 'Kookie' Byrnes and Connie Stevens (1959)
"That's Why (I Love You So)," Jackie Wilson (1959)
"Only the Lonely (Know How I Feel)," Roy Orbison (1960)
"So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)," The Everly Brothers (1960)
"A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around and Fall in Love)," Brook Benton and Dinah Washington (1960)
"Money (That's What I Want)," Barrett Strong (1960)
"(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame," Elvis Presley (1961)
"Sad Movies (Make Me Cry),"Sue Thompson (1961)
"Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight)," Lonnie Donnegan (1961)
"Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)," Barry Mann (1961)
"Those Oldies But Goodies (Reminde Me Of You)," Little Caesar and the Romans (1961)
"Gee Whiz (Look at His Eyes)," Carla Thomas (1961)
"Little Egypt (Ying Yang)," The Coasters (1961)
"Just Out Of Reach (Of My Two Empty Arms)," Solomon Burke (1961)
"(I Wanna) Love My Life Away," Gene Pitney (1961)
"Let's Go Again (Where We Went Last Night),"Hank Ballard & The Midnighters (1961)
"Roses Are Red (My Love)," Bobby Vinton (1962)
"I Know (You Don't Love Me No More)," Barbara George (1962)
"(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance," Gene Pitney (1962)
"Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)," Roy Orbison (1962)
"Shout! Shout! (Knock Yourself Out)," Ernie Maresca (1962)
"That's Old Fashioned (That's The Way Love Should Be)," The Everly Brothers (1962)
"Don't Play That Song (You Lied)," Ben E King (1962)
"(Dance With The) Guitar Man," Duane Eddy (1962)
"There's No Other (Like My Baby)," The Crystals (1962)
"Warmed Over Kisses (Left Over Love)," Brian Hyland (1962)
"Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes)," Dee Dee Sharp (1962)
"Lipstick Traces (On a Cigarette)," Benny Spellman (1962)
"Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah (A Letter from Camp),"Allan Sherman (1963)
"(You're The) Devil in Disguise," Elvis Presley (1963)
"Don't Say Nothin' Bad (About My Baby)," The Cookies (1963)
"I (Who Have Nothing)," Ben E King (1963)
"(Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry," Darlene Love (1963)
"Dawn (Go Away)," The Four Seasons (1964)
"The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena),"Jan and Dean (1964)
"Remember (Walikn' in the Sand),"The Shangri-Las (1964)
"The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)," Betty Everett (1964)
'(Just Like) Romeo and Juliet," The Reflections (1964)
"When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)," The Beach Boys (1964)
"What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)," The Tams (1964)
"I'm on the Outside (Looking In),"Little Anthony and the Imperials (1964)
"Girl (Why You Wana Make Me Blue)," The Temptations (1964)
"Goodbye Baby (Baby Goodbye)," Solomon Burke (1964)
"You'll Never Get to Heaven (If You Break My Heart)," Dionne Warwick (1964)
"The Best Part Of (Breakin' Up)," The Ronnettes (1964)
"Tell Me (You're Coming Back)," The Rolling Stones (1964)

(No, I don't have a life. Why'd you ask?)

Johanna
09-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks, 42fish, that was the single most impressive display of trivia mastery I've seen in my 7 years here.

Obviously it wasn't the song titles that began in 1964, it was my listening to rock-'n'-roll music that began in that year.

Petey
09-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Similarly, T. Rex's "Get It On," which became "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" in the US to avoid confusion with the Top 30 hit "Get It On" by the jazz-rock band Chase.

And released by Power Station as "Get It On (Bang a Gong)"

I used to refer to the Whitney Houston song as "I Want to Dance with Somebody Who Loves Me In Parenthesis"

Crusoe
09-11-2006, 03:39 PM
And some more:

"Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)" - The Arcade Fire
"No Names (Black Debbie)" - Danger Doom
"Everybody Knows (Except You)" - The Divine Comedy
"Paid in Full (Seven Minutes of Madness)" - Eric B & Rakim
"Sunset (Bird of Prey)" - Fatboy Slim
"Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Grover Washington Jr
"El Pito (I'll Never Go Back to Georgia)" - Joe Cuba Sextet
"Jacques Your Body (Make Me Sweat)" - Les Rhythmes Digitales
"Because It's Not Love (But It's Still A Feeling)" - The Pipettes
"Hey Ruby (Shut Your Mouth)" - Ruby & The Party Gang
"CC (You Set the Fire in Me)" - Tom Vek
"Make Me Smile (Come UP and See Me)" - The Wedding Present (yes, I know it's a cover)
"Undone (The Sweater Song)" - Weezer

Voyager
09-11-2006, 05:07 PM
And released by Power Station as "Get It On (Bang a Gong)"

Which shows that song titles are commutative. :)

A song title where the parenthetical expression being a part of the title makes the joke is from an Early Marx Brothers movie, announced before a piano bit by Chico.

My love lies sleeping (with a male chorus)

DaphneBlack
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Elvis Costello liked this:
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
(The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes

MrDibble
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Excellent German synthpop duo Wolfsheim have another double whammy:
(The obvious fact that) scars remain (and how to cope with it)

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Chixdiggit had a triple set on their debut album:

[I Feel Like][Gerry]Cheevers[Stitch Marks On My Heart]
Damn, that beats the Stranglers song I popped in to mention: (Get A) Grip (On Yourself).

GrandWino
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
The first song that popped into my head when I saw this thread :

They Might Be Giants - "(She was a) Hotel Detective"

Not to be confused with TMBG's "She was a Hotel Detective" which is on the Back to Skull EP and is most certainly not the same song. :-)

Hippy Hollow
09-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Elvis Costello liked this:
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
In all fairness, Elvis wasn't responsible. Nick Lowe wrote it when he was in Brinsley Schwarz.

...and Nick loves the parentheses:
I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock 'N Roll)
(I Want to Build a) Jumbo Ark
12-Step Program (To Quit You Babe)
Bygones (Won't Go)
There Will Never Be Any Peace (Until God Is Seated at the Conference Table)

Also Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze:
Hesitation (Rool Britannia)
Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)
(This Could Be) The Last Time

tashabot
09-12-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm amazed someone hasn't gotten this yet - or maybe I am, because I certainly don't like her, either.

Avril Lavigne - (So Much For) My Happy Ending.

I was gonna post The Offspring - (Can't Get My) Head Around You, but someone beat me to it.

~Tasha

Dr. Rieux
09-12-2006, 02:23 AM
"I Can't go For That (No Can Do)"--Hall & Oates

Scissorjack
09-12-2006, 07:24 AM

Not as superfluous as it might first appear. A "Face" was the slang term for a Mod, as referenced in numerous songs, and indeed band names, of the period: witness the Small Faces {or indeed the Faces}, or the High Number's "I'm The Face", which the Who included on Quadrophenia.

Best Topics: diplomatic pouch weeping buddha statues smirnoff malt beverages strippers escorts ass dimple fmp shoes holy zombie jesus sink drain plug triangle man song john sutcliffe espn sudafed causes drowsiness rand mcnally store arborvitae cones freighters jobs quo scrabble motif vs motive are flasks legal the back 40 heroin constipation xkcd explained garden spice like nutmeg profitable cattle farming wavy hyphen twinings vs bigelow anthropomorphic antonyms remainder books value guard undercoating airbags injuries classic porno music wild pot seven pounds spoilers scandinavian folklore book shows similar to fargo jos a bank suits review short neck beer bottle deafness is not a disability why is aluminum not magnetic wedding gift check made out to bride or groom how to lock helmet on motorcycle a buck for a duck joke ridden out of town on a rail was plato a christian do you need a priest to get married back of a truck called 2016 honda fit towing capacity can you wear clear nail polish during surgery how to repair a book with loose pages what things are made of tin how to login wechat without phone what does p.e.o. stand for everclear jello shot recipe nose burns when breathing smell iron in nose can an employer reduce your pay without notice what tastes good with coconut rum how long to keep stitches covered why does water follow sodium a short history of nearly everything quotes dentures in your 30s the ninth gate ending so i says to mabel i says severe sore throat at night my cats eyes are red around the edges does microwaving food kill bacteria jos a bank suit reviews