PDA

View Full Version : panties/ underwear?

warmgun
09-18-2000, 05:31 PM
Recently I've ran into some women who seem repulsed by the term 'panties' prefering 'underwear' while others seem to prefer it, thinking it sexy.
Guy point of view - sexy!
Girls, what's the story?

cher3
09-18-2000, 05:37 PM
Bleah. The only acceptable use of the word "panties" is when telling someone else not to get theirs in a wad.

Mr. Blue Sky
09-18-2000, 05:47 PM
I don't like that word either. Not sure why, though. I do like the Brit version "Don't get your knickers in a twist."

Guinastasia
09-18-2000, 06:05 PM
I say both words.
I've never heard of women getting upset about the word, "panties"....I think panties sounds more feminine, personally...

I have Winnie the Pooh panties, Garfield panties, Looney Toons panties and Scooby Doo panties....
:)

Gunslinger
09-18-2000, 06:07 PM
It doesn't matter to me, as long as there's any chance of the panties/knickers/undies being removed :D

manhattan
09-18-2000, 06:22 PM
This topic, such as it is, is best adressed in IMHO. I'll move the thread there.

glee
09-18-2000, 06:48 PM
I'd like to suggest (cautiously) that this may be another example of the linguistic divide that unites our two countries.

Panties (England / US) - 'bottom layer' for women
Pants (England) - 'bottom layer' for men
Pants (US) - Smart jeans
Trousers (England) - Smart jeans
Knickers (England) - worn over panties but under skirt

I hope that gets to the bottom of it...

Fretful Porpentine
09-18-2000, 07:17 PM
Hmmm ... my British informants seem to be divided on the meaning of "pants." The ones from Bath say pants are always underwear; the one from Manchester says they're trousers. Don't know if he's just been watching too much American TV or if it's a regional thing. They all seem to agree that "knickers" are underpants, though.

As for the OP ... well, there was a thread on this ages ago, and a surprising number of women posted that they were bothered by the word "panties." I don't understand it myself -- as far as I'm concerned, that's just what they're called. "Underwear" seems insufficiently specific.

Where's everybody from, BTW? I live in NC but grew up in the DC area.

cher3
09-18-2000, 07:58 PM
Well, it's not exactly that it bothers me, but I haven't worn panties since back when I wore jammies. (I'm also quite sure many grown women will defend their right to wear panties and jammies until they are grannies and beyond.)

Geobabe
09-18-2000, 08:03 PM
I do indeed wear panties and jammies; I also wear undies or, when I'm feeling nostalgic for my Navy days, skivvies. I'm not too particular on the terminology.

lolagranola
09-18-2000, 08:07 PM
I prefer the term underwear myself.

Panties seems like a little girl term. Like Cher3, I only use it when I tell someone not to get theirs in a knot.

Sassy
09-18-2000, 09:40 PM
I don't recall exactly how it started, but I usually say (on the occasions when the subject arises) my "dainties" or "delicates." I like innuendo...

Mr. Blue Sky
09-18-2000, 10:45 PM
As always, it sounds better when the Brits say it:

"Don't get your knickers in a twist"

Heard this on an epsisode of "The Good Neighbors" (AKA "The Good Life")

Geek Mecha
09-18-2000, 11:39 PM
"I could hide out under there... I just made you say 'underwear'!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway. I'm not repulsed by the term 'panties'... although I should admit I'm more likely to call someone one rather than say I wear one, though.

darkcool
09-18-2000, 11:49 PM
I, too, know some women who don't like the term. This perplexes me for if women don't like it why do mnfctrs market their product that way?
Personally I find It feminine and sexy.

Green Bean
09-19-2000, 12:35 AM
E I hate the word "panties." Even worse is "panty" in the singular. I think you only find this in Victoria's Secret advertising: "Introducing the new bun-hugger panty!"

I say "underpants."

Juniper200
09-19-2000, 01:19 AM
Yeah, "panties" is kind of a weird word. I've always referred to them as "underwear."

Flashback to MST3k: Professor Bobo defends Mike for crimes against humanity.
"We're going to be hearing the word 'panties' a lot in this trial, so lets just get those giggles out now. Panties panties panties panties panties.
<pause>
Panties panties panties panties panties..."

(Note: typing "panties" that many times in a row makes it seem even stranger.)

NothingMan
09-19-2000, 01:30 AM
Audrey, BNL kicks ass !!

Who could possibly find fault with the word "panties" ? Its like it says in the OP, most men find the term impossibly sexy.

Ruffian
09-19-2000, 01:34 AM
Eh, "panties" is fine with me, although it makes me think of kid's underwear (Mom always told me to wear "clean panties" when I was a kid...so, the term has that stigma).

However, I much prefer "thong." ;)

yosemite
09-19-2000, 01:36 AM
Well, I usually say "panties". Sometimes "underwear" too. But "panties", mostly.

I also say "nighties". I am wearing some nighties right now, as a matter of fact. And I'm also wearing panties. So there!

Geek Mecha
09-19-2000, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by NothingMan
Audrey, BNL kicks ass !!
Glad someone got the reference! Now try this one:

"You're the priestess, I must confess,
Those little red panties, they pass the test..."

Perhaps it depends on what type you wear? I think of mine as 'underwear', but maybe if they were satin and lace (or something) rather than cotton, I'd be more likely to call them 'panties'?

Annie-Xmas
09-19-2000, 08:18 AM
I think of underwear as anything you wear
under your clothes: panties, bra, slip,
T-shirt, men's shorts, whatever.

vanilla
09-19-2000, 09:10 AM
I say underwear, but have always wondered where "bloomers' came from.

glee
09-19-2000, 11:16 AM
OK men, it's serious. Someone said 'bloomers' :D

From an English dictionary:

panties - legless* underpants worn by women**

knickers - women's undergarment covering the body from the waist to the top of the thighs, and having separate legholes
(also slang for an expression of contempt)

bloomers - women's loose-fitting almost knee length knickers
(apparently named after Mrs. Bloomer, an American social reformer)

trousers - outer garment from waist to ankles, divided in two to cover the legs
(singular: a pair of trousers)

trouser suit - women's suit of trousers and jacket

*also slang for drunk

**so what do men wear? The dictionary claims that pants is a US word. It also says shorts is US for underpants - it's English for knee-length trousers

I can do you some archaic stuff about pantaloons etc, if you ask nicely ;)

Sea Sloth
09-19-2000, 12:10 PM
Sorry Green Bean, but the only undergarment term I despise more than panties is "underpants." I don't know what the revulsion is all about. It makes me think of trying on bathing suits in a store with my dad when I was a little kid and him saying "Make sure you leave your underpants on." Eeeew.

As for "panties," that word is just way too cutesy cute. I only wear one kind of underwear. They don't have lace, they aren't silk, and you can't see through them. They are size 5, cotton, string bikinis in black, white, blue or grey. They are small and sexy but I would definitely not call them "panties." They're my undies.

RTFirefly
09-19-2000, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by AudreyK
"You're the priestess, I must confess,
Those little red panties, they pass the test..."

I love that song! (Third Eye Blind, of course.)

Like Annie, I think of 'underwear' as being a generic term encompassing underpants of all sorts, t-shirts, bras, slips, and so forth.

Skümmet
09-19-2000, 12:44 PM
Audrey BnL and 3eb kicks ASS!!! :)

Just got Maroon today as it happens :) and ill be seeing them live for the first time Oct. 30th in TN... i cant wait!!! :)

Wish i could see 3eb live too... U know they just toured.. did u go to one of their shows ? i saw them do a 45 minute thing at the HFStival in DC but thats it...

Adrey.. u need to set up a fave music topic type thing or something coz i think u got the coolest taste! :)

As fr the topic of this thread.. well i personally find the term panties sexy... actually when i first learned english i thought the word underwear just was a broad term for bras and panties like the word is in danish... i think its weird that it only refers to panties really...

betenoir
09-19-2000, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Sea Sloth
As for "panties," that word is just way too cutesy cute.

Yeah. That's it. That's the problem. Because as has been mentioned, "panties" has sexual connotations. And either:
A: this is not relavent like when I'm getting dressed for work.
or
B: it is relavent, in which case, I, myself, personally, am not feeling cutesy cute. Of course that's just me.

mega the roo
09-19-2000, 02:05 PM
Just chimed in to give underwear a vote.

The end.

jesuslynch
09-19-2000, 02:56 PM
I muchly prefer the word Drawers.

NothingMan
09-19-2000, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Ruffian
However, I much prefer "thong." ;)

Ruffy, have I told you lately that I love you ?

MMMMMMMMMMM, thongs. (Homer Simpson drool added.)

She had dumps like a truck . . .

You honestly I never got that line, but then Sisco is not exactly John Lennon is he ?

- NM

voguevixen
09-19-2000, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Fretful Porpentine

As for the OP ... well, there was a thread on this ages ago, and a surprising number of women posted that they were bothered by the word "panties."

Yeah, that was me spurred on by the episode of SportsNight when the woman was constantly remarking about taking hers off during her date. (The whole episode was weird and I only made it halfway through it.)

I think the thing I dislike about it is the very FACT that men find it such a sexy term. Yuck! I don't want guys getting all stiff about what they call my underwear! It also sounds too much like "Panting," like a dog does. There's something "drooley" about the word panties.

Welfy
09-19-2000, 04:09 PM
Ugh! I don't like the word "panties". Like voguevixen, I think it sounds too much like "pant" like a dog panting. It seems like a word my mom would call them. Yuck.

I like "underoos" or "undies".

saam
09-19-2000, 04:31 PM
Wasn't the term "panties" considered scandalous in the 50's?

It was the central point in an old trial movie with ? Cary Grant and Yvette Memeu? "In Cold Blood"?
A trial in Michigan where he get's her off the hook for murder, but thinks she did it.

Icerigger
09-19-2000, 07:10 PM
See the movie Anatomy of a Murder (1959) with Jimmy Stewart and Geroge C Scott, a major point of the plot was the mention of a pair of panties and how scandalous it was to mention.

Archer
09-19-2000, 08:30 PM
Ahem, how about crotch cozies?

(Ducking shoes and rocks thrown by all the women)

Guinastasia
09-19-2000, 09:04 PM
I'll say panties OR underwear, I don't care.

I LOVED that MST3K episode...*I have the biggest crush on Mike Nelson...sigh*

Now:
Weren't knickers also called tap pants?

rocking chair
09-19-2000, 09:23 PM
unmentionables.

vanilla
09-20-2000, 09:45 AM
jesuslynch: What if someoen asks you to open your drawers?

jesuslynch
09-20-2000, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by vanilla
jesuslynch: What if someoen asks you to open your drawers?

You asking?

I don't know. Mommajesus doesn't even ask anymore.

Lazarus7
09-20-2000, 04:25 PM
Mmmmm ... panties! ... very very sexy term, I must admit.

Geek Mecha
09-20-2000, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Skümmet
[B]Just got Maroon today as it happens :) and ill be seeing them live for the first time Oct. 30th in TN... i cant wait!!! :)

Wish i could see 3eb live too... U know they just toured.. did u go to one of their shows ? i saw them do a 45 minute thing at the HFStival in DC but thats it...
And you think I've got good taste in music! Maroon is an excellent CD. I'm so jealous you'll be seeing them live! I've only seen their television appearances. Have a good time! I hear their shows are good fun.

As for 3eb, I haven't seen them. I want to, but I think it'd be cool to see them in their hometown. I should check for their next San Fran show... I've been meaning to visit the continental US anyway...

The coolest thing would be if BNL and 3eb were playing the same state in the same month. I'd be there!

nashiitashii
09-20-2000, 09:56 PM
Well, I use the term panties for the full-assed version. I use thong in reference to thongs. [preference: thongs] Damn, now siqo's thong song is stuck in my head.

Oh, and btw, when I hear the word underpants, I also hear Pee Wee Herman yelling out, "It's my giant underpants!"

Bluemonchichi
09-21-2000, 01:25 AM
I usually say panties or thong. Underwear sounds so formal and stuffy and that doesn't fit my personality. Although I generally don't have to talk about them since I usually don't wear any. ;)

Stella*Fantasia
09-21-2000, 09:10 AM
"Underpants" has a fun, silly, Calvin-&-Hobbesish feeling, I think. Also, "thong-th-thong-thong-thong" (to the cadence of the "Dragnet" theme) is entertaining, if cumbersome.
I have no particular objection to the word "panties"...interestingly enough, though I think I usually use the term "underpants", I find it very sexy when guys refer to them as "panties."
Heh heh..drawers...yo momma like a dresser. Somebody always goin' through her drawers.
Hey, check out my sig. It's oddly germane.

cool chic
09-21-2000, 05:42 PM
I prefer panties. Makes me feel sexy. "Undees" sounds like something men wear.

crotch cozies...hmmm???
Underoos...that sounds great!

Dark Lord Davidson
09-21-2000, 07:38 PM
I wear boxers, some other males wear briefs.

Women wear panties, regardless of what type of underwear it is (beside thongs).

Best Topics: spoiled butter shoes backs sevylor glue pixelated eye slightly burnt popcorn vhs rewinder klaatu barada nicto telegram stop completed puzzles dealer plate nguyen pronounce clever halloween names family guy lost minority report halo two feet driving japan lotte chicago and damen beastiality spelling spelt spell eating ground coffee nostril stretching newspaper carriers pay charles shults molars extracted engine chirping caffeine no effect wwii flash is deaf capitalized sweating garlic dog female anatomy what are tracers bed bath and beyond hair catcher pros and cons of owning a mustang ebay end auction early gas can plastic type uh oh here comes a flock of wah wahs swan decoys get rid of geese what happens when guys take birth control pills que sera que sera 80s song walmart 88 cent medicine can i write a check to cash diane kruger helen of troy care packages for soldiers in basic training why do cats try to trip you what does nice rack mean uti untreated for a year porcelain drip pans vs chrome best cat food to gain weight no insurance patient first clothing item that starts with i is mongoose a good bike brand fringe vs x files how fast does cyanide work car with open hood cessna 172 paint job cost where can i buy shrimp stock bats always turn left when exiting a cave how to refill mccormick black peppercorn grinder where do islands get fresh water why do spiders curl up when they die is canada a part of the uk new glasses make me dizzy good titles for a biography what do you say to someone who is having surgery how many mg of codeine to get high off the schneid origin what makes baby poop seedy