PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you're licence expires while your living abroad?

gitfiddle
10-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I just realized that my licence is going to expire in December, and I'm living on the other side of the planet. I won't be home for, probably, at least eight or nine more months.

Is there anything I can do to not have to take my driving test again?

(I should mention that I'm American)

Kat
10-07-2006, 11:51 PM
What state will you be returning to?

gitfiddle
10-08-2006, 12:05 AM
South Carolina

postcards
10-08-2006, 12:09 AM
They make you take a test every time you need to renew your driver's license in South Carolina?

Move to New York. I renew mine by mail when it's due; I don't even need to redo the photo. (And I haven't looked like that for years!)

Kat
10-08-2006, 12:31 AM
South Carolina

South Carolina DMV Online (http://scdmvonline.com/DLrenewal.aspx) says you can renew online or by mail.

Mr. Rosewater
10-08-2006, 03:05 AM
They make you take a test every time you need to renew your driver's license in South Carolina?I took gitfiddle's post to mean that he would have to take the driving test again if the license were allowed to expire for an extended time. I think this is true for many states, including (according to kat's link) South CarolinaYou are eligible to renew your driver's license online if you meet the following requirements: (snip) 2. Your driver's license has not been expired more than nine months.

zagloba
10-08-2006, 06:40 AM
If you can possibly get your license renewed before it expires, do it. If there is a gap, auto insurance companies will treat you as having only been licensed since your new license was issued. This will result in a substantial increase in premiums.

Avarie537
10-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Here in Indiana, you can renew your license six months before it expires. Check into it.

Loach
10-08-2006, 02:14 PM
You in the military? Some states make an exception for military personnel. I had six months after I got back to renew. I didn't see anything one way or the other on the site listed earlier.

robcaro
10-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I am in Colombia, but had my Florida drivers license renewed by Internet. They just send the renewal to my Florida address by mail. It is a sticker that goes on the back of my license.

kunilou
10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
My daughter's driver's license expired while she was in school overseas. Yes, she had to take the whole thing over - written, driving, vision.

A.R. Cane
10-08-2006, 06:25 PM
You in the military? Some states make an exception for military personnel. I had six months after I got back to renew. I didn't see anything one way or the other on the site listed earlier.

I'm pretty sure the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act covers driver's licenses. If I remember correctly, service members were advised to carry a copy of their orders w/ them when returning from overseas duty to verify their status under the law. So that would mean that all states must recognize any entitlements under the SSRA. This dates back to WWI, although it's been revised several times.
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/sscra.htm

Best Topics: popsickle stand media mail time gc value fitted hat stretcher roof rocks cute opossums what is ridx old hydrocodone extradition waiver housekeeping spider saint shepherd housewife vs homemaker side tails mm radio bandwidth 3m forcefield babylon 5 vorlons amsoil oil review define tarnation cheratussin ac otc poodle terriers nazi cyanide tylenol 3 canada homecoming series general delivery rules song ventura highway shell pumpkin seeds superstar usa simple xylophone songs does wellbutrin expire how did the soviet union became a superpower what do the british think of american accents post office general delivery address resonant frequency vs natural frequency hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy green guy white stuff under toenails force to break a bone removing metal marks from porcelain smallest condoms in stores how much does a chicken breast weigh in grams g rate makeup stamp value set fart on fire ear wax won't come out ice cream scoops with antifreeze michael phelps teeth fixed before and after cacique crema mexicana recipes why do women scream? how far am i from the florida state line men with long fingernails what is it like to live in buffalo ny cat name meaning survivor customer made me cry songs with wednesday in the title what does r.f.d. stand for co ed shower sex what does non negotiable mean star trek human lifespan rocket science vs brain surgery law and order ada killed my glasses won't get clean garmin nuvi update cost