PDA

View Full Version : Tree Grows in Brooklyn....what was in the package that Sissy gave Francie and Neely?

SkiDemon
11-04-2006, 11:44 PM
There's a scene in Tree Grows in Brooklyn, where Aunt Sissy comes over, to play but then realizes that she has something to do. She leaves the kids alone with a box from her factory, that says "American Dreams" with a picture of a man having a ciggerette. She tells the kids that they must not open the box. She then leaves. They open the box anyway, and they hang it out the window. However, the book never says what was in the box. Anyone know?

SparrowHawk
11-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Sissy worked in a rubber factory. They made a few novelty toys, but it's implied that their main business was condoms.

UntouchedTakeaway
11-05-2006, 06:54 AM
There's a scene in Tree Grows in Brooklyn, where Aunt Sissy comes over, to play but then realizes that she has something to do. She leaves the kids alone with a box from her factory, that says "American Dreams" with a picture of a man having a ciggerette. She tells the kids that they must not open the box. She then leaves. They open the box anyway, and they hang it out the window. However, the book never says what was in the box. Anyone know?

I always assumed it was either condoms or some sort of blow-up adult gag of some sort.

One of my all-time favorite books.

VCNJ~

Walloon
11-05-2006, 10:30 AM
From the book:Sissy brought Francie a present, a corn cob pipe that you blew into and a rubber hen popped up and swelled over the pipe bowl. The pipe came from Sissy's factory. The factory made a few rubber toys as a blind. It made its big profits from other rubber articles which were bought in whispers.

Revtim
11-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I hear it was Marcellus Wallace's soul.

Walloon
11-05-2006, 02:01 PM
My impression is that they didn't just hang the condom out the window, they thought it was a balloon and inflated it, hence the string that they tied to it, with the other end of the string under the closed window sash.

The parents are so horribly embarassed when they discover it, they move the family to a new neighborhood!

SkiDemon
11-05-2006, 07:41 PM
. It made its big profits from other rubber articles which were bought in whispers.
yeah, but they don't say what those "other" rubber things are.
I had thought it was a condom...........LOL........kinda funny seeing how uptight some societies were. Now we blow them up for parties!

Best Topics: ooda lolly boogers smell stitches itch drano dishwasher loose tastebud one person sofa riddex septic weird people song oolong decaf tea c'est la gare firefly episode order chimpanzee dangerous pronunciation of euler tts beatbox receiver phone poison for groundhogs squirrel paw walmart message boards reheating corn white peruvians shoot your cuffs rodentiform define antidisestablishmentarianism mean auchinbach 18 price gantz song define vixin lunch dates cost swallowing live mice prussian junkers mister rogers piano expired almond butter butterface meaning bump start automatic muellers no boil lasagna saltwater pool with fish does every hospital have a morgue what to say when i call in sick to work when is the latest fedex delivers snugger fit condoms walmart bulk astronaut ice cream how long does it take to get life insurance money why do female puppies hump what does a voter card look like why did native american men spend a lot of time hunting buffalo? revolver pointed at you why is my sister such a bitch sell fur coats online little black sambo song how long does it take for drano to work what does vsop stand for on a bottle of brandy straight guys gone wild extension cords for window air conditioners hook for a hand sts 107 human remains what does horsepower mean for speed 4wd on dry pavement does bacon grease go bad starting to stutter in adulthood biker slang for female motorcyclist who owns telephone poles what is a professional student off like a herd of turtles bavarian cream vs boston creme what is drag show setting up pool balls sacramento bee newspaper delivery jobs hormel pigs feet recipes things made out of tin company overpaid me wants money back